Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Hello All,

My startup is in its early growth phase, and the advice I've seen on ycombinator is that I want to focus on increasing the velocity of my developers. I am looking for advice about how to do this.

One bit of advice I've read is to make sure I have metrics about the velocity of my programmers, so that we can track improvements and that kind of thing. That sounds reasonable to me, so I've purchased one of these https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-101911-Velocity-Speed-Gun/dp/B0002X7V1Q and I've been measuring velocity daily.
I was greatly concerned to discover that my developer velocity is consistently around 0. We have an open office, and I do see developers moving around throughout the day, so I know our average velocity isn't really 0. Am I measuring wrong? Do I need to increase my sampling rate? What am I doing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bump

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!
you really need to expand your mind and change your point of reference. your developer velocity is about 30 km/s compared to the sun. and look that those stupid fuckers, they got bought by oracle

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Menacer posted:

you really need to expand your mind and change your point of reference. your developer velocity is about 30 km/s compared to the sun. and look that those stupid fuckers, they got bought by oracle

I see, so are you suggesting that I relocate my office to a barge or cargo ship? Is this what people mean when they say I need to make sure my startup uses containerization?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Also, isn't it the case that the human body can only withstand a certain level of acceleration? So if I want to maximize developer velocity, I should increase it gradually over time, right, to reduce accerlation. However, my developers return home each night and I believe that their velocity returns to 0 during this time (although I don't yet have metrics that support this). This would means we'd need to restart our velocity from 0 every morning, which seems very inefficient.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
curious about this too 👀

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I think im moving the fastest during spring and fall

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you need a quick win at the end of the reporting period consider putting brownies in the break room or pulling the fire alarm.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
some good ideas itt lets schedule a special 3 hours long retrospective so everyone has a chance to comment

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

install a moving walkway in your main hall, op

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

jumping out the window is a great way to achieve a short term velocity boost

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

Hello All,

My startup is in its early growth phase, and the advice I've seen on ycombinator is that I want to focus on increasing the velocity of my developers. I am looking for advice about how to do this.

One bit of advice I've read is to make sure I have metrics about the velocity of my programmers, so that we can track improvements and that kind of thing. That sounds reasonable to me, so I've purchased one of these https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-101911-Velocity-Speed-Gun/dp/B0002X7V1Q and I've been measuring velocity daily.
I was greatly concerned to discover that my developer velocity is consistently around 0. We have an open office, and I do see developers moving around throughout the day, so I know our average velocity isn't really 0. Am I measuring wrong? Do I need to increase my sampling rate? What am I doing wrong?

how about we increase your velocity by shooting you out of a cannon ya loving idiot

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
to find the true meaning of velocity you need to ingest large quantities of ayahuasca in some South American jungle. hope this hjelps u!!!!!!!

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

voted 1 m/s^s

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
ok, so get this. say you were on a spaceship traveling AT the speed of light (or c :imunfunny:) and you increased ur developer velocity. would you then go faster than light then??????

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

President Beep posted:

ok, so get this. say you were on a spaceship traveling AT the speed of light (or c :imunfunny:) and you increased ur developer velocity. would you then go faster than light then??????

You can't increase your velocity this is the max / optimum development velocity, duh. Why do you think Jeff Bezzoss is investing so mucb in space ship?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Skim Milk posted:

voted 1 m/s^s

s^s

:thunk:

i agree with the poster that suggested throwing the developers out the window

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
we keep some hoverboards and scooters in the office, seems to work well op, but i avoid anything metric as i'm not a godless communist

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
shaggar alt spotted.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

creationist believer posted:

s^s

:thunk:

i agree with the poster that suggested throwing the developers out the window

im not good at computer

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The optimal velocity for a developer is just past the point that the atmosphere lights them on fire due to friction

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

congrats on making it to the front page, op!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

wow. beating out the crem de la crem, such as “i just took a dump”.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

President Beep posted:

wow. beating out the crem de la crem, such as i just took a dump.

and who says that gbs lacks quality posting these days?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

President Beep posted:

help, my developers are moving too fast, they can't actually do anything due to relativistic effects

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

akadajet posted:

congrats on making it to the front page, op!

making it to the what

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

goldmine immediately

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Bloody posted:

making it to the what

:cb:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
you need to a bitcoin-based seastead travelling at a constant velocity on the ocean OP, just watch out for the bit-pirates and the cyber-police

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

just take them up to the top of a building for a team building exercise, and then you throw them off the building

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

just take them up to the top of a building for a team building exercise, and then you throw them off the building

i already made this joke

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Hi op, I suggest asking them what would give them greater velocity! After all nobody knows better what is required than the devs themselves.

Schedule a series of meetings in which you brainstorm about how the company can help them. It's very important that you say that the meetings are optional. However, any that don't attend are not interested in velocity and can be let go.

They may come up with some expensive changes or some which require further changes across the rest of the organisation - you can safely ignore those they're just trying to con you for some money.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I also recommend getting the team to organise themselves into sprints. The typical duration is one or two weeks and the average sprinting speed is 8mph but you may find your developers are unable to reach that initially

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

how about adding points? more measures measuring velocity

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
increase it to terminal velocity :kheldragar:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

gonadic io posted:

I also recommend getting the team to organise themselves into sprints. The typical duration is one or two weeks and the average sprinting speed is 8mph but you may find your developers are unable to reach that initially

this is a solved problem, dummy. :rolleyes:

u just tie everyone together with one of those big tug of war ropes and they all go faster. it’s called “synergy” or possibly “drafting”.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

gonadic io posted:

Hi op, I suggest asking them what would give them greater velocity! After all nobody knows better what is required than the devs themselves.

Schedule a series of meetings in which you brainstorm about how the company can help them. It's very important that you say that the meetings are optional. However, any that don't attend are not interested in velocity and can be let go.

They may come up with some expensive changes or some which require further changes across the rest of the organisation - you can safely ignore those they're just trying to con you for some money.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Immediately fire any developer that shows any sign of velocity other than when getting to work.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

op, have you considered putting your devs in a tesla?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Here's a tip, op: Point bugs. Point fall in work, point everything. Anything anyone does, point it, because we have to get "credit" for the work we do. Whatever it takes we've got to make these charts go up Up UP!

• Locked thread