Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Too many competing Discords? Just made one definitive one that everyone can join

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
well theyre all different communities, its not like any of them except the one cough are strictly focused around playing destiny

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

PathAsc posted:

How many fuckin discords are there, that's like 3-4 now yeah?

I just want to consolidate my server list

Serious Overchill is the main for this game

SA Gamers (I run it with 20 others of my closest goon friends) is for general gaming with goons, but HOTDOG/CORNDOG are there.

Legs Benedict runs one that was console centric but has fully developed into PC too and I encourage everybody there too whether he knows it or not. I link it a lot.

Euro Destiny Goons have their own and stick there primarily.

There’s tens of thousands of goons. If you counted up all the goon servers, there’s well over 100. Some are large (like Gamers, Overchill, SA General, Imperium) and some are small. There’s room for everybody and that’s just one of the ways we keep our goon life around as other communities grow and do whatever it is they do.

None of what I just said matters but just some history. There’s folders now for discord and while I’m in well over 40 of these just to show support, the folders make it appear on my screen like I’m in 4. Discord has come a long way.

In my expertly bad opinion, I would suggest joining Gamers, Overchill and the one I’m gonna also link that Legs runs. You can be as immersive or lurker as you want.

If you’re Euro, you need to join theirs too.

I’ll make this much more concise and clear in the new OP, which I’m currently condensing down because I love to write.

Do the folders thing for Discord!!!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Overchill has a lot of experienced raiders but few pvpers. I assume the pvp fiends self filtered to a different swrver

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Overchill has a lot of experienced raiders but few pvpers. I assume the pvp fiends self filtered to a different swrver

I’ll say this: lots of pvpers in Overchill too. I see plenty of names that I used to pvp with when I was active. And I still hear from my crew of pvping going on there. It’s the place to be.

We had a full stack last night with the HOTDOG crew and pvp is all I care about in this game but again, if you want to pvp, you just gotta call upon the discord channels and ask who is available. Everybody is on a different schedule, but trust me, you can do the !pvp rank or whatever the gently caress it is and see tons of goons who pvped their asses off.

It’ll get real hot starting tomorrow. I’ll do my part (and really, many of us will) to utilize all the servers and get people to mix and mingle a bit. That’s what it’s all about. There’s about 200 active goons currently and it’s gonna probably double over the next month (and then drop to 200) :)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
When they announced the Steam move they did this fakeout like

“We’re here to announce an EPIC partnership...”
“That’s right! We’re moving to Steam!”

So if they weren’t directly approached by Epic, they’re at least aware of its reputation.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

When they announced the Steam move they did this fakeout like

“We’re here to announce an EPIC partnership...”
“That’s right! We’re moving to Steam!”

So if they weren’t directly approached by Epic, they’re at least aware of its reputation.

Oh that is hilariously awesome hahaha

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I wonder if American and euro players will be able to play together now that we are no longer on blizzard. Regioning isnt a thing on steam

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Ok, so I'll stick with overchill like I planned on lol, thanks!

Really wish I'd brought my loving computer on this trip now.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Rubellavator posted:

I wonder if American and euro players will be able to play together now that we are no longer on blizzard. Regioning isnt a thing on steam

Good question!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I haven't played since launch and I have some questions about the f2p release.

Am I severely handicapping myself by not getting shadowkeep right away? I'm not sure I want to spend more money on this game yet but I don't wanna run up against a power cap or whatever.

I was pretty kitted out by vanilla standards, had almost all the weapons and raid stuff. Are those gun still worth a poo poo or have they been totally surpassed by now?

What activities does a f2p player do to grind now? Strikes? Whatever a menagerie is? Is it worth going through the year one campaigns or is that pointless now if you don't care about the story? (I heard they were bad anyway)

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

One of the biggest issues with balance discussion in overchill is that like half the server’s destiny population mains pvp. Stop saying wrong things.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Rubellavator posted:

Should be able to, there's no such limit on PSN at least

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

PathAsc posted:

Ok, so I'll stick with overchill like I planned on lol, thanks!

Really wish I'd brought my loving computer on this trip now.

Right on! Yeah just join some places, follow some news but mix and mingle where you find is your favorite place to talk :)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

xzzy posted:

With the buckets of money "Tim" has been throwing at developers and the fact that Bungie is now a small indie developer I was genuinely surprised they went to Steam.

But on the other hand the Bungie and Steam office are drat near across the street from each other so maybe there was enough of a connection there that it was never really up for debate.

If it were a brand new release, I too would be surprised they didn't take the Epic money, but this is a clusterfuck from an administrative perspective. It's not just a game launch, it's a migration of everyone's account info. The game has to be re-integrated with new DRM and all the authentication and friending has to be QA'd again. Hell, they ran out of time to get Forsaken included in PC migrations, even with the Shadowkeep date push.

For all the cash they're throwing around, one thing Epic doesn't have is a functional backend for any of this stuff, and they likely don't have the staff to assist with this sort of thing either. I don't think they were ever an option. Maybe for D3.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Psycho Landlord posted:

One of the biggest issues with balance discussion in overchill is that like half the server’s destiny population mains pvp. Stop saying wrong things.

I was just going off how often I saw groups organized and filled up.
Gun discussion in general in pvp seems dominated by pvp because pve asks so little of the player so often in gear optimization. I didn't take that as an indicator.
But I stand corrected

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

MMF Freeway posted:

I haven't played since launch and I have some questions about the f2p release.

Am I severely handicapping myself by not getting shadowkeep right away? I'm not sure I want to spend more money on this game yet but I don't wanna run up against a power cap or whatever.

You'll still have the year 1 DLC, Raids, Gambit and Strikes to keep you busy.

quote:

I was pretty kitted out by vanilla standards, had almost all the weapons and raid stuff. Are those gun still worth a poo poo or have they been totally surpassed by now?

Mostly depreciated now since post-foresaken guns drop with more perks. Exotics aren't obsolete, though.

quote:

What activities does a f2p player do to grind now? Strikes? Whatever a menagerie is? Is it worth going through the year one campaigns or is that pointless now if you don't care about the story? (I heard they were bad anyway)

Strikes, Raid, Crucible, Gambit?

Menagerie is Year 2 DLC, which you won't have unless you spring for Foresaken.

Year 1 DLC's stories were....pretty lackluster. Foresaken is way better in that regard.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
actually new light players have access to the menagerie and all its rewards

look bungie even made this helpful graphic

https://twitter.com/DestinyTheGame/status/1177289273025843200

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I had to leave overchill after about 2 days because you can't mute server roles so you're constantly loving spammed with notifications.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Legs Benedict posted:

actually new light players have access to the menagerie and all its rewards

look bungie even made this helpful graphic

https://twitter.com/DestinyTheGame/status/1177289273025843200

huh. So "owning" Foresaken really just gets you the campaign, new subclasses and exotics? This is all so confusing even with the infographics.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

Snuffman posted:

huh. So "owning" Foresaken really just gets you the campaign, new subclasses and exotics?

campaign, y2 raids, and a shitload of exotics yeah

if you dont own forsaken you can still get the subclasses with shadowkeep

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/TheTeawrex/status/1178717520242642945?s=19

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lmao

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wait does that mean you can’t play on PC today?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

you can’t play it anywhere today

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wait does that mean you can’t play on PC today?

You can't play anywhere today because it shut down for maintenance about a half hour ago. It will be back up sometime tomorrow on Steam and all consoles.

e: You cannot even play Destiny 1 if you so desire because they use the same servers or something.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
man it's good to be rid of battle.net

one less launcher oh gently caress why do I still have uplay installed

okay two. wait what the gently caress is origin? god dammit

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

man it's good to be rid of battle.net

one less launcher oh gently caress why do I still have uplay installed

Division 2 will be good someday.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Division 2 will be good someday.

i'll get it for $10 on sale when they fix it two years from now like I did with the last one

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Until next time, bnet. See you when Diablo 4 rolls around :unsmith:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Moon's planted.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

I just got into sc2 like a week ago so I can't remove bnet :(
and my brothers got borderlands so i have to add egs.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I'm actually not mad ~ Activision/Blizzard

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Siljmonster posted:

I'm actually not mad ~ Activision/Blizzard

I can imagine they would feel at least a bit stung - Destiny going F2P then moving off battle.net is a huge loss in potential visitors to the app

iirc some Activision shareholders actually tried to sue the corporation for letting Destiny go like that but I don't know where that went.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whichever lawyer writes bungie's contracts must be a genius for the company to be able to remove themselves from ownership twice in their history and not really lose anything for it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Didn't they have to buy out of Activision

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

to the tune of like $180mm yeah

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

more New Light gameplay if anyone cares
if you watched that other video i posted, 13:00 is what happens after that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2ebBrn3_kE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Close this trash down, we're going to the moon for the first time in human history here:

NEW THREAD: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3900022&pagenumber=1#lastpost