Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

drat son that be 'splodey

Glad it blew out from the bottom and that you are OK.

e: Here's a clean-looking '48 Roadmaster in Colorado Sprongs for $10K!

https://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/d/colorado-springs-classic-1948-buick/7694572936.html

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Too many doors.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
its a nice car - cars like that are great for seeing how to put your 2d back to original... I still have love for them too.

Mustache Ride posted:

Cool event! Oof about the tranny. Any chance you got some times before it shuffled off?

Also that guys video was kinda cringe, but eh, I guess that's a local YouTuber.

Nope, blew up on my first pull, they pushed me back next to the announcer booth and thats where the car sat the entire race - so some of the pics coming out of cars sitting on the line have my car in the background

The youtube guy is a really good friend of mine, he's not that cringey in real life, but he found his niche and covers pretty much all so cal car shows - he used to own a vintage vespa/scooter shop and I've been pulling cars with him for years and years - his father had a movie car business and just tons of beautiful cars from the 40s to the 60s. He's getting a lot of traction, and actually told me he turns up the cringe because thats what the people want - he also shared some figures with me about how much he makes from doing this and honestly, he's killing it... from going to car shows... and being awkward... makes you feel like your in the wrong line of business.

Big Taint posted:

Long live the Hud!

Sorry about the box, destroying the case is also my preferred way to kill a transmission/diff. I've taken out a few over the years. I imagine you will find a rare, period-correct aftermarket performance version in a nearby garage in short order, if past events are any evidence.

ones going in tomorrow. its not ultra rare, but slightly performance oriented. I got another frame that I haven't shared with you all, I'm planning to build that with the really killer stuff, then body swap or just find another body.. then voila... 2 hot rods one license plate... I mean I would never... do anything like that.... at all.... ever. :q:

Kids happy the car is still in one peice.

Tha boys already shoppin it up

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
This time of year is always stressful for me , with the super bowl just around the corner, every day is a struggle to get things in order so that we can enjoy at least a week of vacation between christmas and new year - Dec 31 is one of my favorite shows - the horsless carriage holiday motor excursion - for nearly the past 10 years, me and my friends disrupt the show by bringing period correct hot rods to a show where hot rods are considered "ruined" - yet stock appearing model a's with pinto motors, ac, cb radios and other senior citizen comfort devices are welcomed with open arms - We like to eat their donuts and try to get written in their wills.

I'm sitting in my home office hard at work when I hear my name being called - my friend showed up with a "new" model a transmission in hand - and against everything I stand for, he singlehandedly ripped out the old broken transmission and installed a "fresh" one

Well, almost...

a lovely view of the very nice flywheel we just installed a few months ago.

so here you can see just the tip of the ice berg

a few chipped teeth on the bigger gear, but the real damage is here

This gear cluster was literally forcing its way out of the blown apart case - I had to get the hammer to punch it all back in - if you look further down inside, you can see what really let go.

the real money shot is this

It's really amazing that this thing held together - maybe a few more RPM's on that dump may have completely blown it apart.

Anyhow - the new transmission is already in - it was a "good used" unit and the shifting already feels lightyears ahead of what I had - each gear clicks in with a very satisfying sound - I have to get it some 600w oil which is really hard to find these days - but there are a few sellers that have it. 600w is known as "liquid syncros" - We got the thing 90% of the way there, but I need some new U bolts and we have to detach the rear one more time because we didn't have a collar clocked the right way. - we do that, make sure the brakes are good, filler up and we're back in business.

Another model a transmission really was my last choice, hell, I have a T5, lasalle side shift and a v8-60 transmission here at the house, but each has their own set of challenges. I think I may have mentioned it, but I have another frame - My plan is to set it up with the quick change and the T5 - funny enough the mini v8-60 and the banger are interchangeable... Im a complete idiot and cant say no, so I have 2 more bangers AND a nailhead coming to me.

Speaking of nailheads...

I've pretty much been driving this thing daily while my 48 is getting some upgrades (stay tuned for that)

one of my favorite places on earth is closing

we took the opportunity to send it out with a little car cruise -

Its super upsetting, owner retired - but there are rumors that another vintage stand type restaurant will take it over, which is good. worst case is that it gets bulldozed.

cheers!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Friends like yours are the true Christmas miracle

Merry Christmas! that nog looks delicious

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Glass-bottle milk / flavored milk is the best.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Broguieres has been pretty much the only glass bottle milk available in SoCal... nearly my whole life, it is by far the best in every way - Growing up there was always a bottle of this on hand, in my mom's words "it just tastes better" - Some residents see it a bit extravagant because of the cost, but what most fail to see is that if you return the bottle, you get a huge chunk of money back, making it equally as priced, and just beyond the best quality. Their chocolate milk may as well be a milk shake and is the best I've ever had. Its a real cult thing, I've seen these bottles in the homes of the extremely wealthy and just normal people alike. I grew up on it, and my son is too. A few years back there was literally a milk man service that I subscribed to for a good few years that supplied this milk and other fresh top shelf dairy stuff. Of course I'd be having a milk man... Sadly, my home was on the outskirts of his serviceable route and he had to drop me. I loved it, every bit of it. gave me a serious domesticated history/good times happy feeling boner.

along those same lines...

Growing up in southern California in the 80s and 90s, Huell Howser and his show "Californias Gold" was a staple on nearly every TV. He delved deep in to the history of California and his shows were probably my absolute favorite. They would play 4/5 episodes and the latest one every night on PBS - We lost Huell in 2013, but he left a VAST amount of shows - including one about this dairy. More on Huell: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huell_Howser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3kjRUKBtV4

A number of years ago, the owner said he wanted to go out of business, there was literally a parade of fans from all over LA, including me, who went to the dairy and gave words of encouragement to keep going or pass the torch - the outcry was so big that he decided to keep it up. When I went there was maybe about 10-15 people there, and we were all telling stories, there wasn't a dry eye in the place - the owner talking about history, the cars we had brought, and just how weird things had gotten.

This eggnog is thick as elmers glue, and the secrets are ages old. It's in very very high demand and you can go to several markets to find it.

ANywayy.

PainterofCrap posted:

Friends like yours are the true Christmas miracle

Merry Christmas! that nog looks delicious

They're pretty cool guys! - if its not raining this weekend, we may finish it up - Merry Christmas to you too man!

in other news!

I decided to treat the 48 to a reshaped seat and a carpet kit - Sadly, the carpet kit was a bit too small - they said they are going to make it right, so I may try to put this set in my wagon... we shall seee!

its about 1-3 inches short in nearly all dimensions - The guy I had do the seat said he'd do carpet in the car for $500- so there's that option too.

Work has been very obnoxious this week - but in conversations with a sports card collecting co-worker - it reminded me that I have a pretty big stash of cards - he got me pretty hyped up on the fact I could be sitting on "at least another cars worth of sports cards"

I'll get more in to this later, but these were my dads, and along with an autograph collection, I've never tried to look in to the value of them

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm sure you have a baseball card expert in your trusted friend group so get with that person to evaluate and unload them, a cursory eBay search indicates that Mantle card is an easy five figgies by itself but there are a bunch of ways to get taken to the cleaners in baseball card land.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The baseball card collection triggers a memory that, somewhere in my Mom's house (now my sister's house, but with all of the junque still in the attic) is the Coin Collection.

My Mom went on & on about the family heirloom Coin Collection since time out of mind. It was really my father's; he started collecting coins as a child in the late 1930s, and had a subscription to the US Mint for proof sets, collecting them for 20-30-years. The whole thing was crammed into an old leather suitcase and hidden, Purloined Letter-style, amongst all of the other luggage in the attic, after they divorced in the early 80s.

Over the last 30-years of her life, my mom moved it around the house, and got it appraised ($8000 sometime in the '80s). I would come across it now & then up in the attic (sometimes behind the kneewalls), but have not seen it since the 1990s (married in 1990, and soon after, in my own house).

My mom died in March of '22 and I am the executor of her estate, which we're about to close out; so my mind turns to the fact that nobody has been able to find it. It should not have been that hard to locate a big suitcase in a small Cape Cod, but it has thus far eluded me & my sister (who, to be fair, is not very organized & not a diligent follower-through, whereas I would spend as long as it took to find it, Terminator-style, were I there long enough).

I'll be up there early in the new year, divvying up the blown glass Christmas ornament collection; some of these were acquired by my great- grandmother in Germany, where she was born & lived as a child, in the 1880s. Hopefully will have time to continue the search.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 22, 2023

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Midjack posted:

I'm sure you have a baseball card expert in your trusted friend group so get with that person to evaluate and unload them, a cursory eBay search indicates that Mantle card is an easy five figgies by itself but there are a bunch of ways to get taken to the cleaners in baseball card land.

this is just the thing- none of my car loving grease monkey friends can give 2 shits about sports- in befriending a younger colleague who is very deep in to collector cards, is a strategist and very much not in creative la la land with me - I think this is extremely valuable. He came over to drop some stuff off for me, had no idea about my devious ways and was blown away - we were getting ready to say goodbye when he mentioned "you dont have any sports cards, do you?" - which sent me in to a real tailspin about these cards and another EXTREMELY amazing collection of autographs that I own.

My dad was very much a product of the 70s and 80s coke scene, he made quite a bit of money and "blew" most of it on silly collections, not so much his family. He loved his Detroit teams, so the majority of the sports memorabilia is Detroit centric - but stuff like the Mantle, and in the other collection, has some extremely serious historical significance, So much so that I wrote on the box "it belongs in a museum" to remind myself of its contents. There's a handful of the little miniature 100 year old cards too they arent the

I had an car acquaintance about 10 years ago that owned a sports memorabilia/card shop - after the passing of my mother and the subsequent re-discovery of these items, I took them to him and he was very quick to offer me several thousand dollars for all of it, that set off a huge red alert for me. I didn't have the mental bandwidth to process all of it at the time and it all got packed away agin, just until a flippant re-connected that pathway. I very much trust this kid, we have had each others back in this company since day 1 of him starting and while he technically does report to me in some capacity, I'm not in charge of his employment in any way. When our projects wind down, I want him to look at it all and help me game plan it out. The Beckett/PSA grading thing is such a foreign concept to me.

for instance...

and...

so... uh.. :shrug:

PainterofCrap posted:

The baseball card collection triggers a memory that, somewhere in my Mom's house (now my sister's house, but with all of the junque still in the attic) is the Coin Collection.

My Mom went on & on about the family heirloom Coin Collection since time out of mind. It was really my father's; he started collecting coins as a child in the late 1930s, and had a subscription to the US Mint for proof sets, collecting them for 20-30-years. The whole thing was crammed into an old leather suitcase and hidden, Purloined Letter-style, amongst all of the other luggage in the attic, after they divorced in the early 80s.

Over the last 30-years of her life, my mom moved it around the house, and got it appraised ($8000 sometime in the '80s). I would come across it now & then up in the attic (sometimes behind the kneewalls), but have not seen it since the 1990s (married in 1990, and soon after, in my own house).

My mom died in March of '22 and I am the executor of her estate, which we're about to close out; so my mind turns to the fact that nobody has been able to find it. It should not have been that hard to locate a big suitcase in a small Cape Cod, but it has thus far eluded me & my sister (who, to be fair, is not very organized & not a diligent follower-through, whereas I would spend as long as it took to find it, Terminator-style, were I there long enough).

I'll be up there early in the new year, divvying up the blown glass Christmas ornament collection; some of these were acquired by my great- grandmother in Germany, where she was born & lived as a child, in the 1880s. Hopefully will have time to continue the search.

These cards and the autograph collection were almost lost too - When my mom moved out of my childhood house in 2010, these were packed deep in a box that had been up high in my garage essentially my whole life - when my dad and her split, this was a box that was left behind - when she moved, she didn't hire a mover because buying her son and his friends pizza+beer was cheaper - this particular box was left outside for a few days - I specifically remember INSTALLING SPRINKLERS and looking at this box saying - hey I need to move this, I moved it in the garage then when I was done, I came in and discovered... the items that are jaw dropping... it became white glove time.

I hope you find them - also wanting to see these hand blown ornaments too..

Anyway - I'm all twisted up over that stuff, but it will wait until after the bowl!

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Of course someone with the milk gimp avatar would say that...

LobsterboyX posted:

Broguieres has been pretty much the only glass bottle milk available in SoCal... nearly my whole life, it is by far the best in every way - Growing up there was always a bottle of this on hand, in my mom's words "it just tastes better" - Some residents see it a bit extravagant because of the cost, but what most fail to see is that if you return the bottle, you get a huge chunk of money back, making it equally as priced, and just beyond the best quality. Their chocolate milk may as well be a milk shake and is the best I've ever had. Its a real cult thing, I've seen these bottles in the homes of the extremely wealthy and just normal people alike. I grew up on it, and my son is too. A few years back there was literally a milk man service that I subscribed to for a good few years that supplied this milk and other fresh top shelf dairy stuff. Of course I'd be having a milk man... Sadly, my home was on the outskirts of his serviceable route and he had to drop me. I loved it, every bit of it. gave me a serious domesticated history/good times happy feeling boner.

We get milk delivered in a half gallon glass bottle once a week, and yeah it is good. Even with the glass return it's still about twice the price per gallon. Still worth it, I think. And fits in the fridge better, too.

Saw a late 30s/40s Buick driving around my neck of the woods this week and thought of you. Thanks for all the great stuff you share with all of us in this thread. "Awesome AI poo poo" might be the title of a different thread but it describes this one 100%. Even the baseball cards (especially the baseball cards). I hope you and yours have a very happy holiday.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

PainterofCrap posted:

My FIL gave me his coin collection "because you're interested in old stuff too" and looking through it is a lot of fun, but you can tell it's a childhood collection. Given the dates and ages of the coins (mostly entirely European and some Southeast Asian coins from the 20s, 30s and 40s) you can tell a kid that was super into coins asked all his neighbors and friends' dads for any coins they had. It's exactly what I'd expect to be in a GI's pocket cira 1944. It's a lot of fun to look through though, and I'm touched he gave it to me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

Glass bottled milk was already gone from most store shelves around here when I was a kid, but one of the few remaining local dairies made a big push in 2015 to buy/restore the infrastructure they needed to start offering it again. They do the refundable deposit on the bottle as well, but even after accounting for that their half gallons are still significantly more expensive than a plastic jug gallon, so I basically never get their regular milk. The flavored milks are worth the extra, especially the orange milk.

bennyfactor posted:

Of course someone with the milk gimp avatar would say that...

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Dipping in to talk about PSA. Ok look at the asking prices for the card, the 30k price card has a red box around the tag item and like,y has a high rating, my guess is it’s likely a 9+ PSA graded card. Someone sent out the card to PSA to have them grade it, you pay for an “up to” rating. So they charge $$ for anything up to say a 5, but $$$ for up to 7, and $$$$ for up to 10. Even if you submit a 9.5 card for a up to 5 rating they will give you a 5, you submit a 5 rated card for an up to 10 rating and you get a 5.

But the deal is that the cards have been reviewed “by an expert” and have a recognized name backing the card is not a counterfeit and meets whatever standards are set for a perfect card. I know most of this through my nerd poo poo Magic the Gathering cards and don’t see the value for a piece of cardboard with wizards and poo poo on it. But historically significant memorabilia it may be worth a call and seeing if they’ll work with you for the whole collection at a given rate.

If the cards come back highly rated it opens you to some major avenues of resale beyond eBay. But all of this comes at a price, PSA costs $$$ and an auction house takes a chunk, etc. etc. Honestly you may be better off getting some professional photos taken, then spreading the word amongst the League / Broadcasters if you’re looking to sell and doing a private sale.

Or just keep them for LobsterTyke to put between the spokes of his bike. That’s an equally fitting life for them.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Woah- wanna talk about luck...

Last friday I was coming home from cruise night, late like midnight - I had been crusing the freeway for at least 6-7 miles, waiting for the light at the offramp, I hit the gas and heard "DING" -

the top bell of my ultra rare "bermuda bell" fell off, I whipped a bitch and flipped around and got it a SECOND before a pickup almost flattened it.

Anyway, this ultra weird bolt that holds the bell on came loose, dropped the nut

so if you dont know what this is, its a spring loaded bell that makes a distinct DING DONG sound - its bolted to the floor of the car and you use your foot to actuate it.

anyway, its all fixed up, the nut is loctited on there and its not going back in the buick - mostly because it goes in a place thats really hard to get to, I wanna put it on the model a so its a bit easier to get to.

Speaking of luck...

A friend came down from the bay area and brought a free gift - a 48 buick transmission,.. hey its the same one that I just had rebuilt, and it was a runner!- oh wait, I needed parts for mine to stop the leak!

my plan is to swap the somewhat bad parts out of mine in to this one and keep it a runner and keep it with the car so that if this one ever fails, I dont have to do a rebuild. with the way things are now, I don't think I'd ever be able to find someone to rebuild a dynaflow at a reasonable price.

after the rains, came outside and see this..

enhance...

I dont have a cat

speaking of 9 lives...

https://i.imgur.com/ryXFlFU.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/y65Qrp1.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/PczQ5Ze.mp4

its back! we finished up the transmission install last friday - good news is that it runs - bad news is that this transmission is loud... very loud. I gotta get some thicker stuff for it, the original type of gear oil for these cars was called 600 weight - try googling that and you'll find LOTS of different ideas about what 600 actually is. Old timers tell us that they used to be able to find 600w at auto parts store, and when they did, they would buy it all up because it was considered "liquid syncros" - Mac's auto parts apparently makes a version of it, from some comments it may actually be a blend of heavy gear oil and lucas oil stabilizer aka motor honey... Model a transmissions arent really anything special, straight cut gears, no syncros, dogleg'd - so it makes sense these would take some heavy stuff.

When we were filling up the transmission, I thought I may go check the rear end, it was very low... so maybe dodged that bullet?

this transmission isn't forever, but I hope to get a few seasons out of it, so we'll see.

in other news, I'm so drat busy with work, I dont have time for much fun.. so we'll see!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LobsterboyX posted:

enhance...

I dont have a cat

in other news, I'm so drat busy with work, I dont have time for much fun.. so we'll see!

In other news, congrats on the cat. That’s how they notify their new owners

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My mom had a cat that used to sit on the roof ridge like that.

Yes, he was an orange.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Googled 'Bermuda bell' because I'd never heard of those before.

If I understand it right, the bell mounts under the car and the plunger to ring it is like an old school floor mounted headlight switch?

The idea is that it's like a 'polite horn' for pedestrians?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Captain McAllister posted:

If I understand it right, the bell mounts under the car and the plunger to ring it is like an old school floor mounted headlight switch?

Also known as a (horse) carriage bell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LKyMUFKpvs

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

In the related videos to that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLFTO0Bx9-E

I don't think I've ever heard a flathead that rowdy. I'm assuming "AV8" means an Ardun OHV headed flatty.

edit: or V8 from a Model A?

Apparently. Same car, and it's still a flathead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcBJesTuT7Y

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 5, 2024

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

MrYenko posted:

In other news, congrats on the cat. That’s how they notify their new owners

Garfeield over here really isnt mine because the elderly dog creature that inhabits my home doesn't like him, I hear them yelling at eachother often.

My wife has taken the approach to throw food scraps out for the squirrels who themselves have also adopted us. they're friendlier than the orange cat, whom I believe is named Huckleberry (only because I hear someone yelling "HUCKLEBERRY" nightly when its time to come in) - anyway, the squirrels dont even pay us mind anymore, they're only a few steps away from coming in the house too.

Captain McAllister posted:

exactly! - I also use mine to announce my arrival.

joat mon posted:

Also known as a (horse) carriage bell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LKyMUFKpvs

that one sounds a bit more fancy than mine - mine sounds like this:

https://i.imgur.com/lquIr7a.mp4

and here's the front of it - you can see the locktite holding the front bell on

I glooped it on there and down in the threads, I know it doesn't do much to hold it on when its not actually interlocked with the threads, but I can safely say that its down in there too.

Speaking of noisemakers in my stash I have one of the horns mentioned in this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZegcXOZ0jo

it looks like this:

When I first got it many years ago I was able to make it somewhat work, but its a real mechanical mystery - the bottom part is just a electrical motor, almost as big and heavy as a starter motor that turns a little thing that looks like a rotor to hit the individual notes, the contacts are all clean and I got it to make a revolution but the horns themselves didn't sound, its also pretty cool because it has its own...limiter... i guess in that when you give it the beans it only makes one revolution and stops, kinda complex stuff going on in there - only trouble is that its a 6v.. Also somewhere I have an original instruction book with a troubleshooting guide that I need to look at -

Darchangel posted:

In the related videos to that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLFTO0Bx9-E

I don't think I've ever heard a flathead that rowdy. I'm assuming "AV8" means an Ardun OHV headed flatty.

edit: or V8 from a Model A?

Apparently. Same car, and it's still a flathead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcBJesTuT7Y

AV8 typically means a model a with a V8- Model A went from 28-30 and never featured a v8, only the 4 banger, in 32 that all changed with the 21 stud flathead v8 - the 32 aka deuce was the more popular car, because in addition to the v8, they were slightly larger they had beautiful sculpted frames and they rode much better - the model a is pretty much the bridge gap between the model t and the more civilized cars - the 32 was the pinnacle of that.. I guess.

the car in the video is a local car, seen it around for years! the 2nd vid of it all painted up shows it with some pretty cool aftermarket heads, but not Arduns, the heads he's got on there are pretty rad Eddie Meyer dual plug heads, meaning you have to run a 16 point distributor ... Arduns are an overhead conversion to the flathead v8 - like my Miller, but instead of 1 head, you got 2, that added a lot of power to these little v8's - IIRC they were never used originally for racing applications but they were meant to be a power adder for big trucks and work vehicles and also IIRC, they only ever made a handful of the, so most every set you see out there these days is a repro, there was also a guy out there making fugazi ardun heads that literally were just for show with no internals

Re: rowdyness - flatheads can get pretty angry with a cam, a huge alure of them has always been the sound.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Audio guys!

I had a dream that I had an echo unit in my car and now I really want to do it but I don't know how!

I found these:

https://www.google.com/search?sca_e...208982822620315

and I have one in my CB radio - I love the delay and echo..

question is, can I use one of these.. or a variant of that, to capture the audio coming out of my little wacky bluetooth amp...

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Am...ps%2C157&sr=8-4

to have an echo unit on a pot that I can roll up or down

just to play this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rahTKCeBZ2M

and melt in to my seat.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Not sure how hard you want to look or how much you want to invest but there were both factory and aftermarket spring reverbs specifically designed for cars from the 1950s - 1970s.

I think many were setup initially to add a 2nd speaker in the rear seat that would play back an echo of the music coming from the front speaker to provide a faux stereo experience.

Like this unit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3750809893...emis&media=COPY

This site has some info about later 64-74 ones
http://www.hawestv.com/amp_projects/reverb/reverb_car01.htm

And you can find old units on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1719888581...emis&media=COPY

How they work is you are literally pushing the audio signal into a long spring and then piping the audio back out of the other end of the spring.

Some units like the one below would have been setup with a small control box that wired to a separate large spring box that you would hide in the trunk or under the dash. So it wouldn't work without the spring box.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2353120876...emis&media=COPY

They were also sold for home audio use during the 50s and 60s as kits you could add to Hifi consoles or component stereos. I have the control/tube amp part of the one that pairs with my Fisher 400CX tube preamp but I don't have the spring box for it :(

https://youtu.be/9Vy1uNEcMqs?si=SciG_K9Yu7mdLeJo

I also have one of these Sansui Reverbs I found at a church rummage sale
https://youtu.be/VtTgZOxwLq4?si=R78sOu_PSNfFdr1W

Knowing your penchant for tracking down vintage speed parts and collectibles you might want to do some googling and get an idea of what vintage spring reverbs would pair with the era of the car you're putting it in and then hit up a few swaps and ask vendors selling old car radios if they have any collecting dust. I doubt they have many buyers asking about them but they are weird enough that I bet someone has a few.

And obviously you can check eBay/FB marketplace/Craigslist and you might get lucky eventually.

You may also be able to use one of these mini karaoke units to get the same effect depending on how your current mini Chinese stereo is hooked up

Bluetooth 5.0 Stereo Amplifier, DC 12V Digital Reverberator Karaoke Mixer System Dual Microphone Input https://a.co/d/d649cx7

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 7, 2024

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
while doing it the vintage/old fashioned way would be appropriate for this thread, it's probably way easier to just use modern solid state electronics. especially since he's already got a modern bluetooth audio thing going on.

i assume the ones for a CB take the audio from the mic, add the effect to it, and pass it along to the input of the radio. what i don't know is if the mic is at line level, i.e. is there some little preamp in the mic itself or does this effect get injected before that happens. if it's not designed for line level audio, piping your bluetooth audio through it might not be a good idea.

guitar pedals, for example, are usually not line level for the same reason; the pickup in the guitar is a much smaller signal that is then amplified even to get it to the same level as like the RCA line level between devices (then amplified again to go out to the speakers). most of them will not handle line level audio.

i think the way guitar pedals handle this, if you want to use them with line level sources (i.e. a bluetooth receiver and amp, in this case) is to bring the voltage down before it goes into the pedal, then amplify it again after. i guess you could do something like that here, but that would involve a lot more DIY than plugging in a module.

there are boards like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/404392249897 which claim to be line level. that's single channel, so you'd need two, and rig up a double pot, if you're using stereo. not a super elegant design, but might be the simplest.

edit:

my turn in the barrel posted:

You may also be able to use one of these mini karaoke units to get the same effect depending on how your current mini Chinese stereo is hooked up

Bluetooth 5.0 Stereo Amplifier, DC 12V Digital Reverberator Karaoke Mixer System Dual Microphone Input https://a.co/d/d649cx7

didn't see this part before. i would bet that the reverb effect only applies to the mic input, not the bluetooth. guessing that it's intending that you play the karaoke backing track through your phone via bluetooth, then attach your singing mic to the mic input. probably you'd just want the reverb effect on the mic, in that case.

it says the mic inputs are for dynamic mics, so at least there's no phantom power, but it's going to be going through a preamp stage. so you wouldn't want to pipe your other bluetooth receiver through the mic inputs, if that was what you were thinking. plus, they're surely mono.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 8, 2024

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Words, vintage stuff, karaoke effect, ect

I had a really long response to both of these comments in the chamber and I clicked off accidentally and lost it all, to paraphrase:

I really do wish I could understand audio, I've tried for a long time but it always vexes me - always like my brain is full and I just cant add any more knowledge to it. Vintage audio is even more black magic to me - the radios, jukeboxes and all other vintage audio stuff I have, I really lean on 2 guys I've met over the years that are experts at it. testing vac tubes, resistors and capactiors - I understand the testing processes, somewhat know how to read schematics and wiring diagrams, but I just cant put it all together, and I've really tried - its just vexing and I thank you both for your responses

the link that gives the history: again, theres a ton of info there that I can process but in regards to how it interfaces with the existing radio - I cant put it together.

There's a guy that I've been trying to find again that remakes these 60s and 70s era light bars - funny enough walmart seems to sell them... https://www.walmart.com/ip/Colorbar...ucks/1857749730 but his are of a way higher quality and more true to the originals - anyway, I used to see him at the swapmeets, and he's friends with a mutal friend, but I havent got to a swap in a long time and that friend doesn't have his contact - he made a reverb unit that was very compact and straight forward, when I saw it, it was just a little metal project box with a switch, a jeweled indicator light and a pot - painted in hammertone blue with a little metalic sticker that just said "reverb" - he sold them for original radios and these goofy aftermarket radios like this:

https://www.classiccarstereos.com/1954-1956-buick-roadmaster-radio-with-bluetooth-usa-740.html

About these radios - I've never paid any mind to them because for the applications they need, they look trashy and cheap - but there are some of these radios for more popular cars that do look factory - a buddy of mine bought one and it had some trick poo poo, it did the job, barely - the quality of it was pretty much on-par with my $10 amp board, he had spent a pretty penny on nice speakers and a woofer/amp combo and the sound coming out if it was honestly bad, it wound up getting broken at some point, and we pulled it apart to take a look at its guts, and basically it was a collection of off the shelf boards (that looked like my $10 unit) that were just kinda patched together - he wound up getting rid of that and just buying a nice modern head unit and shoving it in the glovebox - he put the original radio back in the holes and he runs it like that now - its in a 70 chevy truck, so its not some art deco chrome plated masterpiece, so he doesn't care, but I do.. which is why I'm doing this the hard way

Anyway, this guy making these units has eluded me, but he may or may not be the key... but I also have you guys sooooooooo...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404392249897

this thing.. if I'm understanding?

can I de-solder the pots and wire 1 in to both boards?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
ah, i had forgotten that your existing receiver was a bluetooth receiver + amplifier all in one. in that case, the thing i suggested won't work, since it is expecting the audio signal to be the low voltage before the amplifier. i was thinking you had a bluetooth receiver, and that was plugged into an amplifier, and we would insert reverb between the two.

since that's not the case, i will have to think of a better way to do this. is this the same unit you're using already? https://www.ebay.com/itm/175366460293

as for the pot, yes i was imagining that we could just use one knob. it's safest to not connect one pot to both boards, since they'll both have their own power supplies in there and they might forcefully disagree with one another, but you can get pots that have two separate windings in them. i think they're usually called stereo pots, actually. even better if we could find one that has the switch built in, so you can just twist fully counter clockwise and it clicks off.

anyway, that's neither here nor there, since my initial proposal is bust.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

"drat that has a mean idHOLY MOTHER OF GOD"

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Raluek posted:

ah, i had forgotten that your existing receiver was a bluetooth receiver + amplifier all in one. in that case, the thing i suggested won't work, since it is expecting the audio signal to be the low voltage before the amplifier. i was thinking you had a bluetooth receiver, and that was plugged into an amplifier, and we would insert reverb between the two.

since that's not the case, i will have to think of a better way to do this. is this the same unit you're using already? https://www.ebay.com/itm/175366460293

as for the pot, yes i was imagining that we could just use one knob. it's safest to not connect one pot to both boards, since they'll both have their own power supplies in there and they might forcefully disagree with one another, but you can get pots that have two separate windings in them. i think they're usually called stereo pots, actually. even better if we could find one that has the switch built in, so you can just twist fully counter clockwise and it clicks off.

anyway, that's neither here nor there, since my initial proposal is bust.

this is the exact unit I've been using

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081ZZ1KX2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

in regards to the pots, I'd almost prefer a switch to activate - if I did make this happen I'd most likely try to find some old wacky bakelite knob and a old timey switch, all within some kind of vintage box or under dash unit or something like that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

randomidiot posted:

"drat that has a mean idHOLY MOTHER OF GOD"

Watching a vintage nitro dragster switch from gasoline to pop (they start them on gasoline) is the same on MOAR.

Wait for it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeX9mPoC8j0

It goes from "niiiiice" to "I WILL EAT YOUR CHILDREN" at 2 minutes.
Check the mechanics 1) making sure all 8 are firing by putting their hands over the exhaust and 2) greybeard judging when the engine has warmed up enough by laying hands on the valve covers.
Also, how loving quickly it revs up. And how much the chassis jumps when it does.
Oh, also, also: FIRE.

fake edit: found another one before I hit "submit":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY6SyDz6G54

Regarding the reverb - no, I don't think you can wire it up that way. 1 per channel, yes, but I'm pretty sure those are a line-level device. Actually mic-level, given the description, and for the pot situation, it would have to be like Raluek says - you'd need a dual pot (they exist, certainly.) The circuit might tolerate a single pot for both, but I don't know enough about electronics to say that.
Also, I doubt that they would pass sound through if not powered (maybe they do?) so you'd have to set up relays or solid state switching to be able to switch them in and out.
BTW, those reverbs are a buck fifty on AliExpress if it does end up being something you can use. Verbage there seems to corroborate that it goes between a mic and the preamp.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Pretty much every reverb or delay box I see after a fairly quick look is line or instrument level.
For curiosity's sake, here's a look at reverbs and DIY-ing one into a studio setup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIryyi3bp-c
It explains about impendence levels, which is what denotes what you can connect it to. There are models of the spring reverb that have 8 Ohm input impedance, but output is still at least 500 Ohms, which would need to be amplified.

Digital delay or reverb might be able to work with amplified signals, but it seems like this is mostly done at the preamp level.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Assuming your using your phone as the audio source, you might want to look into the sound settings on the phone. My android phone has settings for for a few effects.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

The older under dash car spring reverbs take in the amplified signal from the stock radio speaker output and then send it back out to the front speaker and then send a 2nd signal out to the rear speaker.

I did find a recent (2019) blog post with more info and it references an audio shop in Pomona that specializes in installing modern spring reverbs and the color bars you mentioned. They would probably be the best resource to get you setup.

https://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot.com/2019/02/modern-reverb-spectacular-whats.html?m=1

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

According to what I found, the older ones also only expect about 3W on the input from a vintage AM radio, then re-amplify the signal going to the rear, as it gets knocked down by how the spring reverb operates (short version: one end of the springs is moved by a motor structure, AKA a voice coil without a speaker, which requires a little bit of power, but not much - a headphone amp is apparently what's used in the professional world - and a pickup element at the other end, which puts out a mic-level signal, thus most of the vehicle units have their own on-board amp as well.)
Most of them have a mixer also built in the vary the level of unaltered versus reverb going to the rear speaker.

This could be done with the digital delay board that was posted previously - one would just need to use a line-level converter to reduce the output of one speaker to a lower signal, feed it through the delay - which is not a reverb! - and then you'd have to have another amp for that speaker. A little 15W or so amp like Lobster already has, but without the volume control and BT would be pretty cheap.

edit: funny thing pointed out by the studio guy from the video I posted, when they built their own spring reverb, is that most of the vintage systems went to great lengths to eliminate the "boinginess" of the spring reverbs back then, but now we're looking for that a bit.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 10, 2024

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
would it be possible to tap in to that little board - like between where the bluetooth is received and where that signal is amplified

this is most likely past my skill level of soldering, as in micro-soldering arms off that little chip, but its not outside of some of my friends expertise.

EDIT: like soldering a modchip on a playstation or n64 or someshit...

EDIT 2... wait a minute...

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 11, 2024

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I'm pretty sure you could use the Karaoke BT device I linked earlier if it will see your phone as a BT Microphone. Then just run the signal out from that into the signal in on your amp with a headphone to headphone aux cord.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LobsterboyX posted:

would it be possible to tap in to that little board - like between where the bluetooth is received and where that signal is amplified

this is what i was thinking. how attached are you to the volume pot being attached to the amplifier board? that seems like an obvious place to tap it, since im guessing it puts the unamplified (i.e. line level) signal through a voltage divider pot to set the volume, and then has a fixed gain in the amp.

if that's a bridge too far, i would probably have to play with one for a while to figure out a better spot. how urgently are you jonesin' to have this thing done? is this a long term tinker project, or an urge to blast something together to satisfy the immediate itch?

isnt your current one mounted in an old radio chassis? are you gonna pull it out for surgery, or what? how much more space is in there, and how flexible is the mounting situation?

I'm pretty sure you could use the Karaoke BT device I linked earlier if it will see your phone as a BT Microphone. Then just run the signal out from that into the signal in on your amp with a headphone to headphone aux cord.

i would bet that the effects on the front are just for the hardware mic inputs. even if not, a BT mic would probably be mono anyway

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'd agree with the above(s): figuring out in the circuit where to tap in would be a pain, though possible. Better to forgo the on-board BT, and use the karaoke board's BT and input into the 3.5mm. That should work fine. Heck of a lot easier to wire up, too.

As for space, Raluek - it's a vintage car radio. It's like the size of a breadbox. He's got plenty of space for those eensy modern boards. :)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

Watching a vintage nitro dragster switch from gasoline to pop (they start them on gasoline) is the same on MOAR.

Wait for it...

It goes from "niiiiice" to "I WILL EAT YOUR CHILDREN" at 2 minutes.

I would say your definition is quite mild. It goes from nice to "gently caress YOU, I WILL RIP YOUR HEARTS OUT THROUGH YOUR ASSHOLES AND EAT THEM ONE BY ONE WHILE STARING DOWN YOUR PARENTS AND CHILDREN".

..... I went to rehab with a dude that did anime voiceover (he's also into cars), so anytime I hear something angry I just picture the time he dropped the I WILL RIP YOUR HEART OUT FROM YOUR rear end line in an evil anime voice.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

I'd agree with the above(s): figuring out in the circuit where to tap in would be a pain, though possible. Better to forgo the on-board BT, and use the karaoke board's BT and input into the 3.5mm. That should work fine. Heck of a lot easier to wire up, too.

As for space, Raluek - it's a vintage car radio. It's like the size of a breadbox. He's got plenty of space for those eensy modern boards. :)

there's probably a DC blocking cap before the inputs to the amp, which is probably a SMT chip cap. i'd probably desolder that, stand it up on one pad thus opening the circuit, and wire the intermediate poo poo in there. just gotta find it first, tho, and hope it's not under the heatsink.

pulling the volume cap would be easier to suggest if one were to want an easier target and not mind the packaging tradeoffs therein.

Darchangel posted:

Better to forgo the on-board BT, and use the karaoke board's BT and input into the 3.5mm. That should work fine. Heck of a lot easier to wire up, too.

if it can apply effects to its bluetooth input, this is probably the path of least resistance, though.

and yeah i figured that was the case, but with the talk of an external enclosure i thought i would ask.

Darchangel posted:

Wait for it...

this is one of those "watch it every time it's posted" videos for me :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

this is one of those "watch it every time it's posted" videos for me :allears:

Oh, same. I relish the opportunity to repost and rewatch. Hell, I have it saved to an MP4.