Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Hot Rod Fallout on Sunday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Every year I miss that show - The kiddo is getting older and could possibly be in the cards to come to it sooner than later - I also desprately want to finally go to the hershey swapmeet!

for those of you asking to hear the sounds of these cars, my friend Wes produces a video of the event every year thats pretty in depth! he released it today and I make more than a few appearances in it - give it a watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtpXqakoOWo

And I've watched it several times over and I wish for that kind of thing every loving weekend.

I'm so glad there are guys like him that document these times in our lives, a lot of these guys are really close friends of mine, we have so much fun doing this stuff -

I took the 48 back to the shop - really sour about it, but the guy is really kissing my rear end about it, because he can sense my frustrations.

dont know why, but we washed it before we took it back

in the meantime we'll enjoy the race winner!

I picked up more pointless goofy accessories like these old nickel plate spark plug covers

speaking of spark plugs - starting to measure for these:

I have to get a wild hare to tear it all down and paint it.

More later!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Thanks for the vid. That was awesome!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

LobsterboyX posted:

Speaking of old school - this is the only picture that was taken during with a long overdue visit from my friend and OLD SCHOOL goon Vorheese - who's not active - I told him about this thread and he said he'd try to make an appearance at some point...

both of us have aged quite a bit, dad life -all that good stuff - me and him used to hang and cruise cars in the bay area where he lived and my cousin lived - I'd go on extended stays and cruise around in my old 55 caddy up there - he got out of the car stuff and heavy in to the bike stuff - in 2009 I sold him pretty much all my bikes after a near miss..

While he was here we took a few of his triumph mc parts to a local engine builder who is a mutual friend of ours - it was good to see him, I hope we can figure out a way to see eachother more often - we both walked away from our visit as though we had just had a therapy session :yikes:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

late 30s girls 24" colson - in truly astounding shape - you have to think that 24" girls bikes are very specific - they were either handed down or cast off - this amazing example is in better shape than any vintage bike I've ever owned, its like new. it even came with the original tires. the best part, it was a straight trade - no money changed hands. more pics of this in the daylight coming soon.

Colson, like the casters!

Tell Vorheese that I say hi! We lived together for about a year at another goon's place. We had some truly excellent times. He and I still occasionally chat on Instagram, but not anywhere near enough.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Colson, like the casters!

Tell Vorheese that I say hi! We lived together for about a year at another goon's place. We had some truly excellent times. He and I still occasionally chat on Instagram, but not anywhere near enough.

it was also very good to see him! I don't think hes very happy living in AZ, but hes managing. I'm going to attempt to make him post here again

:cripes:

https://i.imgur.com/W874Dgp.mp4

I drove it last friday, I grew.a pair and got it up on the freeway - it was really doing ok, held its own and cruised at ~60 withouut feeling like it was going to explode as soon as I got off the freeway I noticed some steam

well.. I started thinking about it and looking at the driveway - this things been leaking since the race, and maybe before.. when I pulled the grill shell off, I noticed another leak, as if it burst a seam at the top and blew off in to the radiator shell i didnt take a picture.

out it comes

I did take the time to replace the emblem

I was told by the guy at so-cal speed shop that 2 mfg made the inserts for these things and its a crap shoot if it will fit, so I lost that roll and got thte other kind which fits perfect.

I got a call from a friend who told me about this deal - $200 for 2 engines and 4 pallets..... of partts. I said yes, theyll be here soonish - I dont want to post all the crap, its actually a lot of stuff, and a lot of just junk too - here;s one of the engines with an interesting belt, early water pump and a trick block off plate -

probably some cool voodoo going on inside.. we shal see

speaking of voodoo -

a friend handed me this at cruise night last week, told me to show my friend Steve - you know, Steve1989MRE...apparently these came as a accessory to some ration pack - these pack protectors weren;t given individually, but 1 per every so many guys - as in one guy would be the protector of the cigarettes.

speaking of death - its spooky season so me and the boys went up to the cemetery -

Forrest Lawn was a popular place for custom car photography -

mentioned here: https://www.customcarchronicle.com/cc-builders/larry-watson-c-painter/kermit-hanson-1957-buick/

oh a buick huh?

my friend Lamar is the authority on 54 buicks - well all 50s buicks for that matter - anyway he's got a collection of some amazing artifacts - I sent him a template I made for a lubricare sign, and he sent me this photo to copy - never seen another one like it - I need to really make the script exact, but its close enough for government work.

proud dad moment

he was showing his friends how engines work..

even more proud dad moment..

More soon without the cone of shame.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Just gonna toss a modeling photo here.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I loving love it

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

If you haven't listed the I BUY JUNK CARS stickers yet, YOU MUST DO SO.

Even better, put it on a T-shirt as large as possible, so I can wear it to car shows/Carlisle & Hershey. I feel naked, I'm so seen

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PainterofCrap posted:

If you haven't listed the I BUY JUNK CARS stickers yet, YOU MUST DO SO.

Even better, put it on a T-shirt as large as possible, so I can wear it to car shows/Carlisle & Hershey. I feel naked, I'm so seen

oh god why would you attack me so specifically with this

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Do you guys have those cards in your town?

It's a shame thing here in the LA area - its one company that passes out these cards on... what they deem to be junk cars... many years ago when I lived in and monoploized a cul-de-sac with 4-5 classic cars - I managed to collect a pretty good stack of them, and I'd leave them on friends cars just for the poo poo of it.

... and it happened to me more recently

so I wanted to make them in to a sticker, and i didnt want to give props to the actual company - the 555 numbers are the standard - and the 818 and 323 are the two area codes to la!

I'll list them soon!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

They're hoping you're elderly, stupid, in dementia, or all of the above. Or some kid over their head in an estate matter suddenly thrust upon them.

Around here, we've been getting faux-handwritten notes from single moms who need a car 'cause theirs just died, and they're desperate to get to work or they'll be fired, yadda yadda.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

LobsterboyX posted:

I loving love it

Oh buddy, you don't know what kind of can of worms you just opened. :laffo: Once I'm over this COVID poo poo, I'll make sure to take plenty of disturbing selfies.

But serious talk, it's insanely comfortable and well worth the money.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

I figured you would appreciate this, a friend did a photo shoot before winter hits, with a Pontiac he bought last year.
I don't know much about it and haven't had a chance to see it in person yet. But it does look great.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Those are some gorgeous pictures!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

What a sweet Silver Streak

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
smalllllll world - What a beautiful car! those have some really cool unique stuff going on with them- still has the original drivetrain?

I wish la had "the fall colors" like.. you know... everywhere else aside from the southwest...

Funny enough, I just had an encounter with one of those, literally yesterday..

I took the car back to the transmission shop shortly after I discovered the leak, he had it for almost 2 weeks, this guy is really weird, but at least hes very transparent about things. he didn't charge me anything, and last time I got the car back, the battery was stone dead - there's another 150 bucks right there. - When I got the car back THIS TIME I started it up and I heard a tinking noise near the front of the motor and a small exhaust leak- I made sure he was there for this - to my dismay the fan had 3 badly bent blades - WHY would this happen if they were working on the transmission... whatever, they were easily bent back, I understand the exhaust leak, the flange never really seals well and they obviously had to remove it to service the transmission...

Whatever, its been 2 days, I have my car back and it hasn't leaked a drop, and I took it on a mildly difficult drive straight out of the shop

I spent half the week in the hell hole known as las vegas for work, but at least I made the best of it by getting to my favorite tiki bar

and indulging my love of neon.

I've never flown in to vegas before - a 3-4 hour drive is always more fun to me than flying - a flight from here to there is a bit under 40 minutes... barely enough time to suck down a v8 (why is it that people crave these when flying) or room temperature water.. but there was something at the airport I've known about for a while that I wanted to see...

here's the story and some great photos of it

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/longest-ever-continuous-flight-1959/index.html

theres a few other things that I thought were cool in that same general area

to go from history to modern life...

I also got to go to the new Sphere thing to see a movie - First thing that I have to say about it is that it is pretty incredible, a real experience for sure. Its so huge, it sounds so good and it really does ask some questions about what experiences will look like moving forward.

I saw a buddy there

and here's a non exciting picture of the outside of it

I didn't even bother to take photos inside of it - theres no shortage of youtube videos of it, but I can really say nothing will do it justice, you have to see it for yourself.

about the movie itself:

the movie was one of the dumbest premises, its your typical "blame humans for everything thats wrong with the world - its a narration about the history of the world to space travelers that had to flea earth because we hosed it up so bad - i felt the really missed the mark on doing some fighter jet shots or car racing shots or just some "America, gently caress yeah" stuff - the premise if the movie is dumb, but the visuals are mind bending - they put rumblers in the seats too so your rear end is getting bass blasted and its pretty intense - pretend the movie doesn't have a plot and you'll love it more

the city is so hosed up because of the F1 stuff coming to town, it is almost non navigable we had to walk several miles from the sphere back to the hotel, and with the lovely smells of human feces coming from just about everywhere, I was not enthused.

upon my return, I just wanted to do some car work so I pulled the radiator

looks pretty cool like this

and I had a visitor that inspected the rusty radiator

Friday we had our 3rd annual creepy cruise -

started off at my place

yesterday we were cruising around and found probably my favorite halloween decorations ever

my buddy had this awesome light bar

that reminded me of a photo sereis i saw years ago like this, but they were all shot at a junk yard - I have to find the source of those pics....

heres some crappy footage from the cruise

https://i.imgur.com/Y1SvE6s.mp4

there were about 100 cars following me up canyon roads to a cemetery at the top

anyway! if I find time this week, the 48 buick is getting the radio treatment just like the wagon!

more later!

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 30, 2023

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

I spent half the week in the hell hole known as las vegas for work, but at least I made the best of it by getting to my favorite tiki bar

<snip>

I also got to go to the new Sphere thing to see a movie - First thing that I have to say about it is that it is pretty incredible, a real experience for sure. Its so huge, it sounds so good and it really does ask some questions about what experiences will look like moving forward.

I saw a buddy there

and here's a non exciting picture of the outside of it

I didn't even bother to take photos inside of it - theres no shortage of youtube videos of it, but I can really say nothing will do it justice, you have to see it for yourself.

about the movie itself:

the movie was one of the dumbest premises, its your typical "blame humans for everything thats wrong with the world - its a narration about the history of the world to space travelers that had to flea earth because we hosed it up so bad - i felt the really missed the mark on doing some fighter jet shots or car racing shots or just some "America, gently caress yeah" stuff - the premise if the movie is dumb, but the visuals are mind bending - they put rumblers in the seats too so your rear end is getting bass blasted and its pretty intense - pretend the movie doesn't have a plot and you'll love it more

the city is so hosed up because of the F1 stuff coming to town, it is almost non navigable we had to walk several miles from the sphere back to the hotel, and with the lovely smells of human feces coming from just about everywhere, I was not enthused.

Yo must have just missed me. My wife and I were there, within sight of the Sphere (The Signature at the MGM Grand) week of 10/14-10/21. and yeah, gently caress that F1 noise everywhere. We needed to catch a bus to go get a part for my wife's CPAP that got left behind... except that route had been rerouted because of the construction, the morning we got there. Not to mention making it tough to walk anywhere on the east side of the strip for a bunch of blocks, especially with the wheelchair we got for my wife when there was too much walking involved.

Also, I wish I'd have known about that tiki bar when we were there...

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Thanks for the goodies! That pile behind him has two Chevy 4.3 V6s in it, just bizarre choices all around. Taken at Cruisin’ the Coast somewhere near Biloxi, MS.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Maybe it's just a lazy version of the GMC Twin-Six?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Yo must have just missed me. My wife and I were there, within sight of the Sphere (The Signature at the MGM Grand) week of 10/14-10/21. and yeah, gently caress that F1 noise everywhere. We needed to catch a bus to go get a part for my wife's CPAP that got left behind... except that route had been rerouted because of the construction, the morning we got there. Not to mention making it tough to walk anywhere on the east side of the strip for a bunch of blocks, especially with the wheelchair we got for my wife when there was too much walking involved.

Also, I wish I'd have known about that tiki bar when we were there...

I have to go back in early december - hoping its all cleared up by then - in addition to Frankies, there's the Golden Tiki which is fun, the peppermill thats a total 70s cocane fueled nightmare of a fantastic restaurant and of course the golden steer which is a classic red booth steakhouse thats been there forever. there's a few people left in my company who still think I'm cool so I've been pressing them hard to come out to these old places with me.

I tried to have our wrap party at the neon graveyard where they filmed the ending of Mars Attacks but they're talking about some of this new fangled meow wolf crap

wallaka posted:

Thanks for the goodies! That pile behind him has two Chevy 4.3 V6s in it, just bizarre choices all around. Taken at Cruisin’ the Coast somewhere near Biloxi, MS.

I love seeing my silly stuff out in the wild... that car is... fun?

DJ Commie posted:

Maybe it's just a lazy version of the GMC Twin-Six?

only if the front engine is chained to the front of the back one.

in other news... I'm really about to lose it on this guy...

but hey, we had fun ghost busting last night

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I usually try and usually succeed at getting a drink by the fire at the Peppermill. I'll be there next week and I think I'll hit up Frankie's. Thanks for posting it!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

I tried to have our wrap party at the neon graveyard where they filmed the ending of Mars Attacks but they're talking about some of this new fangled meow wolf crap

I did the neon museum and Omega Mart on the same day last time i was out there. OM is really neat and well-crafted if you take the time to do and read EVERYTHING but I was in there for four hours and could have probably been there another two. Get the pass card, you're locked out of some of the story without one.

Neon Museum is definitely more your speed if this thread is any indication though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

I have to go back in early december - hoping its all cleared up by then - in addition to Frankies, there's the Golden Tiki which is fun, the peppermill thats a total 70s cocane fueled nightmare of a fantastic restaurant and of course the golden steer which is a classic red booth steakhouse thats been there forever. there's a few people left in my company who still think I'm cool so I've been pressing them hard to come out to these old places with me.

<snip>

but hey, we had fun ghost busting last night

I'll have to check those places out if we ever make it back.
Nice proton pack!

Midjack posted:

I did the neon museum and Omega Mart on the same day last time i was out there. OM is really neat and well-crafted if you take the time to do and read EVERYTHING but I was in there for four hours and could have probably been there another two. Get the pass card, you're locked out of some of the story without one.

Neon Museum is definitely more your speed if this thread is any indication though.

Neon Museum was cool. They have an app that basically reads the signs to you so you can look at the pieces rather than the placards while meandering. The Museum is set up like a boneyard, so it looks a LOT like the yard at the end of Mars Attacks.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=413788309495086

According to that post, several of the pieces in the clip are now in the museum. I know I saw several that I recognized as being there.

Also, I saw the billboards for Omega Mart and meant to check out what that was all about. Totally forgot to do so!
Also forgot to check out the Erotic Heritage Museum...

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Omega Mart is pretty outstanding, there's a huge subplot you can follow inside or just wander and enjoy the insanity. Didn't realize they did events, that would be super cool.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I think what I want most out of life is raising my boy with the same excitement and experiences that my mom raised me with. Incredible things that are not necessarily expensive, but things that benefit you in other ways.

I don't want him to fall in to the trappings of the modern kid and I want him to know that his mom and I gave him as many fun things to remember as I can. So many things in my life were dictated by my mothers unwavering dedication to the same things. Driving around and seeing things through his eyes pushes me hard, and I put myself in the shoes of my mom driving me around as a kid doing drat near the same things. The things that come out of my mouth remind me of my mom and I get all choked up like a big ol' bitch nearly every day - subconscious memories unlocked nearly 40 years later are a hard pill to swallow for me.

With that in mind, last weekend was huge - we did quite a bit and logged a lot of miles on the old LX

Saturday was spent at the So Cal Railway museum, which is a SUPER rad facility. Multiple tracks to actually run functioning trains and trolleys, super fun little towns and enough room to host cool events like semi truck shows and vintage machinery shows. Its amazing to kids and adults alike. The people that work or voulenteer there are also arch nerds and characters of the highest order - including ex disneyland and knotts berry farm engineers.

https://socalrailway.org/history/

My wife is super active with other parents at the school and organized a trip to their yearly Thomas the Tank Engine day - which was super fun - lifesize thomas trains pulling the museums cool restored rolling stock - the kids lose their poo poo.

I was in charge of 2x 3 year olds so I didn't take too many pics

https://i.imgur.com/r1EgyTF.mp4

they had 3 real ex-LA street cars running.

but all in all this was my day

anyway - it was fun, he had fun, but the fun of this museum was overshadowed by the Thomas stuff, which is fine, but kids wanted to be kids.

The next day I woke up early to go to a swapmeet with the homies and did a bit of a test and tune

https://i.imgur.com/mZZMdj6.mp4

bonus shot from when I was doing some adjusting the other day

https://i.imgur.com/PVMQSIr.mp4

the car has had a lifter knock that comes and goes for years now - The other day I got buck wild and started doing some adjustment - I've never messed with this before - I was gabbing on the phone to a buddy who has and I didn't realize how simple it was - the right way is a bit complicated, but doing a quick adjust just to find the source of the noise was super simple - I got the loudest knocks out of it, but there are a few that need a few more turns - I'm going to do it right soon and get the full adjustment in - but shockingly this really woke the car up power wise... hmmm.....

so all of that because... while I was out near that museum - I drove past this..

https://www.streetlegaldragway.com/

and had some a thought that I might elaborate on later.. but this is an... interesting... concept - a 330' drag strip, half of a 1/8th mile. It just opened and is gaining some real traction in my circles, they had a news piece come out on it and its blowing up - another friend of mine is a reservist stationed out there and he went to an event they had and said it was pretty cool. A real "tree" that can be set for any style of racing, and an ever increasing cash pot for getting the "perfect light" aka a 000 reaction

The whole idea of this place is that if you have a steet legal car, you can run there, if its a closed car, you don't even have to wear a helmet. just an interesting concept - they also somehow managed to get a contract with the city for this to operate for 5 years - meaning the housing track that was just built NEXT DOOR to it cant mess with it for at least 5 years at which point they can re-negotiate it.

So I google earth'd 330' on my block and jamed on it to see what it would feel like... kinda interesting, but also feels a bit short. hmmmmm

Anyway, after being throughly overdosed on other peoples children, I said gently caress it and we were off for something that I felt was super important

homie wanted the same shirt as me, so I guess he's in my club now

I had told him that we were going to go flying for the first time and he kinda got it, but I had had this in my mind for a long time that I wanted his first flight to be something really special

Nice try Lao Che....

The Ford Trimotor was essentially the first passenger plane, up until then, planes were mostly in their infancy and the public was still a bit weird about it. They made 199 of these. The one we rode on was built in 1929 - my wife and I had ridden on this plane back in 2015 as well.

He was not nervous at all leading up to it - they let us get on the plane first to help him get the booster situation sorted so he could see and then he started getting a bit nervous.

he didn't let go of my hand the whole time. I was a blubbering mess watching him experience this amazing thing for the first time in such an amazing way. I was literally crying with joy and trying to hold it together enough to show him things out the window - I had told him a "story" about flying a few weeks earlier because I was going on a business trip about how things that seem big every day all of a sudden get very small when you fly in an airplane.

These planes are loud as hell inside so he didn't have very much to say while we were up in the air - when we first took off he looked very nervous and said "I DONT THINK I LIKE THIS DADDY" but he slowly warmed up, he'd throw me nervous looks and I'd point at something and he'd snap out of it and focus on what I was pointing out - never letting go of my hand.

The flight lasted about 30 minutes and as soon as the plane landed and the engines throttled down he lit up like a christmas tree, let go of my hand and the first thing he said was "can we do it again tomorrow?"

he was saying "I cant believe I flew on an airplane"

Mom and him got off the plane first and I totally broke down, straight up crying like a baby, and im tearing up as I'm writing this - I told the pilot that he had just given my son his first ever plane ride on this plane and the pilot, who was most likely younger than me, nearly poo poo his pants, he ran over to get a little poster and he said "I hope you dont mind if I sign this for him" - he loved it, and held it close to him the whole way home.

I finally got my poo poo together and got off the plane and he was literally running around the plane to all the old guys that were showing him all sorts of stuff about the plane - one of these guys said "ive never seen a kid so interested in this, and to be honest I dont think most parents these days would let their kids do this, let alone be interested in it"

When we were leaving that old man came back over to us and told me "I wanted to tell you one more thing before you go, your son and Neil Armstrong now have something in common, their first plane ride was on a Trimotor" that really got me.

Sadly one of those little bastards at the train thing got him sick, but even under the weather, he's still going on about how cool it was and how he loved it, and now its his goal to go on a plane, a train, a boat and a old car all in the same day

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
What a weekend!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

What a Grand Day Out with Mom and Dad!

Kids be trading sicks all day...

That shot of him looking out of a Trimotor at the QE2: you should frame that one, too.

The first flight my son took was to Disney when he was 3. He thought he was riding in a bus.

1996, Geneseo, NY:

Valve adjustment on engines with solid lifters is critical. The gaps tighten up over time, which throws the timing off so the engine does not 'breathe' properly. There should be a chart for the Straight-8 to tell you which cylinders can be adjusted when a particular one is at TDC; usually you can do both on the one at TDC, then some combination of intakes & exhausts on others.

Once the gaps are properly set, you should notice the engine idling and running a bit smoother, and with a slight bump in power. It's very satisfying to do valve gapping.

Julian adjusting valves on the VW engine in 2009:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 8, 2023

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That 330' strip is interesting, because... yeah, that's short. But that's still more than long enough to figure out if you launched worth a drat or not, and all but the fastest cars are going to still be doing highway-or-slower speeds at that point.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You're a good dad, and I'll be goddamned if I didn't tear up at that, thinking about the stuff my dad and I did when I was a kid. Missing him just a bit right now.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:black101:

This loving rules, and so do you.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Man I get it in the feels too, I took my guy to Maker Faire last month and he was really into it. We had watched some Youtube videos about it that morning so he had a sense of what was coming, and the next morning the first thing he did when he came downstairs was watch more. I was talking about him with Vanessa the other day and mentioned something about what he's gonna be into when he's older and she said "You better hope he likes what you like" and I said "I ain't worried this poo poo sells itself."

We are moving this month and were going through the garage and he was pretty equally interested in all the old tools and hardware junk and the chest full of costumes and jewelry and was running around with a bodice wrapped around himself lol

EDIT: don't miss the AI Secret Santa this year!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4047118

Big Taint fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 12, 2023

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Perfect.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Perfect!

so I havent had much time for nearly anything except putting on red water hoses...

and planning a drag race.

So, its gotten really really really real. so as you can see that date is coming in hot. The guy that opened this track is super cool and transparent and the community has responded - we have about 40 cars reg'd so far and every day we get a few more. I've purposely taken myself out of most of the processes because I tend to go in to work mode and try to super bowl things that dont need to be super bowled, so I'm just doing the overarching creative and some ops -

and theres no shortage of that

and I released some new funny ones on my etsy

more coming!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Those are some choice t-shirts.
Guess I need to make some space in the closet.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
yeah i need a weiner nats shirt for the next time i hit up the costco food court, but unfortunately i don't do white.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I've

been

really

busy.

and yesterday, this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSYwcTdplPk

you can see me make fumble words at about 2:50

I landed home from a work trip at about 11p on Wed night - thursday I put in a solid 10h day at real work, then started packing and getting the car prepped - It had been about 4 months since I started it, and it came to life with a few cranks - threw some Marvel in the tank, oil and a few splashes down the carb throats.

So now that its over I can give a bit more of a breakdown - the track is a new thing, its only been open a few months. We came to the owner/organizer with a very simple idea - you take the money, we promote it, we sell merch, you do the run of show.

Most everything worked out, we got there about 11a with a start time of 2p - we had to tech in cars, get car show stuff staged and get food vendors dialed and make sure things were going to plan. Again, the track is new, and its a new concept, there were definately hits and misses, and in my mind, they kinda canceled eachother out.

First off, the track guy that was doing tech... yes he was doing his job, but these cars are old, and this was just too much for this young man to handle - we had to calm him down, pack another zyn in his lip and tell him that there wasn't a single car there that wouldn't have a single leak. by the end of the night we could very much tell that he was ready to mother gently caress any one of us that even said a word to him, so we put him on ice.

the staging was weird and too short, cars coming off the track didn't know what lane to pick - we had a grudge lane that sent 2 cars at a time and 2 "run it" lanes where you raced whoever was next to you - this was at the tracks behest, and honestly, it was a cluster - the grudge line was long as hell and cars were literally just grudging from the other lanes too - we had a lot of redundancy, frustration and just general mayhem.

There was a LOT of racing, 80 registered cars went SO fast - some guys got 9-10 runs

So anyway - 2 came and went and the drivers meeting lingered on - at one point one of our guys whispered in the track guys ear "they get it, please lets race" - racing got started about an hr late, our original shut down time was 8p - the guy was very apologetic and gracefully gave us another hour.

the LAST thing we needed was for someone to oil down the track....

it was me

Full loving Sent that 93 year old transmission to the grave - I just wish it was more violent - it literally felt like the car just popped out of gear.. the starting guy started yelling and screaming "Stop I can see your gears still spinning"

The original trans has been a real soldier for many years of my abuse - me and the guys may or may not have done some dirt lot donuts just moments before..

This would have been the first time I'd ever taken the car thru a true "tree" timing system - everything else I've done in this car has been very analog as in girl with the flag drops said flag and someone at the end of the track tells you which lane wins. I was so happy I'd finally get actual timing slips to get some hard data, but nah - who needs that.

I'm falling asleep so pic dump

more soon -

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Cool event! Oof about the tranny. Any chance you got some times before it shuffled off?

Also that guys video was kinda cringe, but eh, I guess that's a local YouTuber.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Long live the Hud!

Sorry about the box, destroying the case is also my preferred way to kill a transmission/diff. I've taken out a few over the years. I imagine you will find a rare, period-correct aftermarket performance version in a nearby garage in short order, if past events are any evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

the LAST thing we needed was for someone to oil down the track....

it was me

Full loving Sent that 93 year old transmission to the grave - I just wish it was more violent - it literally felt like the car just popped out of gear.. the starting guy started yelling and screaming "Stop I can see your gears still spinning"

The original trans has been a real soldier for many years of my abuse - me and the guys may or may not have done some dirt lot donuts just moments before..

Oh, bummer. I guess if you never break anything, you're not trying hard enough.