Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I love reading this thread and seeing awesome old stuff, and that car is pretty awesome. Would love to see a video one day of the doors opening and shutting from the outside, the hinges on them to get the big bulge (don't know the name) to move in at the same time must be complicated? Or am I overthinking it?

Sweet car though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Please buy all of the cars so I can continue to live vicariously through you

E. this was in response to your first post about that car you're all looking at, but man you get up to some cool stuff

Project M.A.M.I.L. fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 6, 2022

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I love the chrome guide/ducting for the spark plug leads.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

LobsterboyX posted:

I off the cuff mentioned to the gals behind the counter that I had an old painting that got damaged in the rain - they suggested I call "Sunny"

So I get in touch with her and she has me come over to her home - Holy crap... amazing woman - 87 years old, restoring fine art - with degrees in sound engineering and art restoration, she was happy to show me photos of her restoring fuckin hieroglyphics in Egypt in the late 50s, her work at the Abbey Road studios... list goes on. She was sharp as a tack and really engauging. She took me to her studio and took my painting. She went to her shelf and pulled out a merky gray/green solution, when she opened the jar, the smell was overwhelming. With her bare finger she gently dabbed some of this stuff on there and with a linen rag she wiped the damage right off, she'd wipe a bit, and look at the cloth to make sure nothing was coming off, she did that over and over again and the transformation was in-loving-credible.

She told me to leave the painting with her for a few days for it to "develop" - she said "it will look even better in a few days"

so I did - and holy poo poo did it ever look better

this was it shortly after she put her magic mix on it -

here it is now with moody 9pm lighting - not a very accurate representation of it, but you can see the changes in the painting.

Overall - it looks like the difference from 1080p to 4k - when she first put her mix on there, it looked bright and shiny I was a bit nervous because it looked almost too good and too new - took the vintage patina off - but when i saw it again after it had "developed" - it looked right - her explanation to this was that it was like wiping something with a solvent - she explained it like cleaning class with windex - you can see the glossy clean after the initial wipe off and the streaks dissapear quickly - she said that the "streaks" in relation to the damage on my painting will disapear over a day or 2 - the most shocking transformation is on his chest and clothes - she did not touch the painting up, and theres some science behind it, but when pigments mix over time sometimes different compounds will overwhelm others - as in the chest, her magic mix shocks those pigments back to life. Super incredible - she kept saying "you can get similar results with a $14 bottle of painting cleaner" but she had tweaked the mixtures in to shocking old faded colors out of remission . Her cost for this service - less than 100 bucks. I had an amazing time with her, such a special woman.

Your car posts are great but I really bookmarked this thread for these kind of things, the people you meet in your life and the interactions and just sheer joy you get from it, it's so uplifting to read.