Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Raluek posted:

If you're still considering V8 options, my first thought is a reverse-flow nailhead. Straight eight would be cooler if you can fit it, though.

Driven directly by the crank? Edit: Apparently it's a specific brand of supercharger I've never heard of, Potvin.

boxen fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

LobsterboyX posted:

Trust, this thought has crossed my mind too, however with space at a premium (tank is 13.5' long and I'm 6'3" ) I dont know if I can get away with something that silly (cool)

Silly? What's the name of the forum again? If you're trying to make it look roughly period-correct, how concerned were old racers about leaving room for themselves to sit around the engine?

I kid, I kid. I just want to see something unique/insane/cool-looking, and I don't think that'll be a problem with this project.

Looking at belly tank racers, do most of them have the engine behind the driver? What are you doing for a transmission, Beetle?

Tuckers used a flat six helicopter engine, didn't they? How hard would something like that be to fit in one of these? Do they make enough power to be worth it?

As a thought experiment, is there any existing form of small-block chevy that would be interesting enough for a car like this? A DOHC conversion with a vintage centrifugal blower and (replica) Hilborn injection, maybe?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

What car is this? I love this.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That's a pair of Tucker 48's, of which only about 55 were ever built. They're easily worth $2m each.

If you've never heard of a Tucker before, it's a really interesting story worth reading about, check out the Wikipedia page if nothing else. The cars are fascinating from a technological standpoint. There was a movie made about the guy behind them (Preston Tucker) in the late 80's, I don't know if it's any good or not, I last saw it when I was fairly young.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

glyph posted:

Is there something like an Ardun head for Model A engines? If there is, is it legal?

Apparently they do, and they look rad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4hvvI4M4RI

I imagine that'd bump him to another class, though, same as forced induction.

Edit: drat, these are pretty. http://www.secretsofspeed.com/roof-101-cyclone-ohv

boxen fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 1, 2018

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Holy loving rear end. I know you said you want it for your belly tanker but you've got to be at least a little tempted to toss it on the Buick.

I mean, you gotta test and make sure it works, right?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Darchangel posted:

My next door neighbor when I was a kid (1974-1980) had one of those in his garage. He worked for Sun as an engineer, I believe. I should ask - he's my still best friend's dad, and was my boss for a year or so, to boot.

edit: I wonder if he still has it...

That reminds me, when I was in college me and some friends would periodically go to the campus "surplus sale", where they'd auction off anything the various departments wanted to get rid of. Once there was an old (maybe 40's-60's) vintage metal box with two analog needle gauges (think old voltmeter), a couple of twist dials, two lugs for ring terminals, none of it labelled), a power plug for a wall outlet, and a crappy old label-maker label that said "OL' SPARKY". Me and my friends ALMOST put in a bid for it, but we were relatively certain it'd be the death of at least one of us somehow.

I still regret not buying it.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Well drat, I've owned that game for a few years and haven't got around to playing it. I'll have to install it now and explode your car a few times.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

LobsterboyX posted:

this cool grandma car that belongs to a friend showed up to say hello

you can only own this car blue hair and you are always smoking a Virginia slim 1000 - flashbacks to my evil grandmother and her lovely friends back in the late 80s really hit hard.

1966 New Yorker?

Goddamn do I want a 60's Chrysler.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
[quote="LobsterboyX" post="516707796"]
cruise night:

Heh, something about the shadow from the visor and the windshield partly open makes me think of bifocals. Helps the image.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

Can you combine the gator skin and the cannon into one great project?

"We fired our cannon 'till the barrel melted down
Then we grabbed an alligator and we fought another round..."

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

LobsterboyX posted:

also, i found this weird thing... anyone know what it says?

Oh hey, the missing headpiece to the staff of Ra. Gonna have to see both sides for a useful translation.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Darchangel posted:

It can, however, be made AWD, fitted with a 5.2 or 6.2L V8, and twin-turbocharged, or supercharged.

And you can do all that and leave the stock tires on. It was my favorite way to break the "performance rating" or whatever it was called in that game.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Could be fun to mod one of those mockup blocks for this, or if you're a masochist, hollow out an otherwise-unusable cast iron or aluminum block.

I think it'd be fun to make a completely nonsensical version... SBC but with the distributor at the front, flathead v12 with the wrong number of spark plugs or exhaust tubes, etc. Be creative.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also this. I'm seriously considering this for the Opel because not only does it have the same bullshit "the timing mark is on the flywheel", but it's also apparently set up so that you time it off of cylinder 4, not 1. :wtc:

Do they have the same TDC, just firing on alternate revolutions?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

MrYenko posted:

twin-turbo nailhead

reverse-flow nailhead with direct-drive supercharger :eng101:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Man, you must have a shitload of surplus speakers to offload.

Roads around Portland are treacherous with all the stuff that keeps falling off trucks.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I rewatched The Rocketeer over the weekend and yeah I gotta say, the styling and aesthetics of that movie are top-notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

PainterofCrap posted:

It’s a girl’s bike.

More people need to try new things.