Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The mid-aughts, right before the recession in 2008 saw an absolutely comical bubble in collector car prices. It wasn’t completely even across all segments, but US domestic muscle car-era cars were particularly effected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LobsterboyX posted:

Got a package... been waiting a while for this package...

The peterson automotive museum here in LA was a field trip location when it first opened in the mid 90s. It was one of those "hey this is new lets take this middle school class there" - they had a grand street scene that has since been removed, a journey of cars from the brass era to the 60s - in the 40s and 50s area, they had a speed shop scene, the shelves were stocked with all kinds of go fast parts for all kinds of cars - being that weird kid that loved vintage cars even at a young age, I fixated on one of the pieces there, it was the biggest one, with the most crap on it.. it always stuck out in my mind - over the years other people have said "remember that intake with all those carbs at the peterson?"

That piece was a Howard 6x2 intake for a big series buick inline 8 - there's one there, now there's one in my garage.

there is no reason for this thing to exist - and there is little to no information about them or is there any info on how many were made - other than who made them and where they were made - Howard's speed parts, Compton CA - I've seen and know of only 5 of these.

one of them being: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DS6wIhOsZ4

in a 1947 buick going over 160mph

Why? because I wanted it - the idea is now to build my belly tank around this insanity.

:aaaaa:

This is EXTREMELY my poo poo. That’s loving incredible. I won’t ask what it cost, but I am going to ask how long it took you to track the thing down after you got the first sniff.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The squibs would have been installed in the pylon carrying the tank, to shear the pylon and tank off the airplane when commanded. Do you have a manufacturer part number or NSN number for it? It should have a dataplate somewhere.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

You’re going to do the needful and tow the lakester with the Century, right?

Right?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:eyepop:

This thread continues to loving rule.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Midjack posted:

We did these in Boy Scouts but stuck a sausage link in there and called them "glory holes" because we were a crass troop and it's the height of comedy when you're 14.

Ya no, this is still funny at 38.

:v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

chrisgt posted:

6v starters on 12v tend to engage the bendix so hard that they break parts and completely destroy things.
Some are worse about this than others, but in all cases, it's a lot more abusive than normal.

It will definitely engage though. At least once. Possibly more.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cabovers are loving tits, but I don’t see a link to a thread. What’s wrong with my Awful app?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LobsterboyX posted:

speaking of buying... I went to an estate sale this weekend and got this cool old bowling ball tackle box

Holy poo poo, this is identical to my dad’s childhood tackle box that we still own, except for the latch.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LobsterboyX posted:

speaking of aluminum - got this rarity too - this is very special and its being sent to me from texas

more on it when it gets here

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Your Douglas connection come through again?

LobsterboyX posted:

…also roof rack adds quite a bit of room for sheet goods and other stuff:

“Other Stuff.”

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:stonklol:

I'd like to have your luck and circle of friends for just one afternoon.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Those old Westinghouse motors are essentially immortal as long as you don't mis-wire them, and the pump itself is rebuildable. Solid find!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So did you get just blades, or the hubs too?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I fully endorse slamming the kiddie car.

:hai:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So immediately after contemplating a move to Sarasota, I thought of LobsterboyX

It’s certainly commitment to a theme. And what the hell else are you going to do with a snail-shell house.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LobsterboyX posted:

I just explained to her that I just loved that stuff and I didn't really know where it came from and "dont take this the wrong way, but this reminds me of PeeWees playhouse."

"Oh honey.... come... sit...."

it reminded me of peewees playhouse.... because it was peewees playhouse

LA is fuckin wild.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

RIP Lobsterboy’s wallet

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

my turn in the barrel posted:

Didn't get numbers but I think the price is in the free as in beer range.

This thread is just fuckin full of people leading a much more charmed life than I am, ain’t it?

:shepface:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LA Noire was so good to have both the IP and it’s underlying technology completely abandoned.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LobsterboyX posted:

I've told you guys about my LA Noir involvement, no?

I think it was linked elsewhere and it’s what brought me to your thread.

Still fuckin rules. :allears:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LobsterboyX posted:

also, i found this weird thing... anyone know what it says?

Ancient curse was not how I expected this thread to end, tbh.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PainterofCrap posted:

I bought a wireless Bluetooth DEPSTECH brand off of Az for $50 to borescope a Honda JDM engine. Haven’t tried it against a rotating assembly. It’s now $31.

The biggest issue with the cheap Chinese borescopes on Amazon is the software frequently falls off the AppStore or is entirely in mandarin with a new update, etc etc. I’ve never had one fail, but I’ve thrown three of them away because their software isn’t kept current.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

joat mon posted:

The word for today (and this thread) is the Sanskrit word mudita. It's the feeling of joy at another's happiness or good fortune.

:emptyquote:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ah yes. Black tie and evening gowns, everything polished to a show-car shine, and a 2600 dripping oil on everything. Truly majestic.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PainterofCrap posted:

RIP Frantic Fred. The cohort of wrenching rodders is thinning.

:stare:
Please do explain the tenting…I have never seen this.

Termite tenting is super common in the south, and I guess California as well. It’s really heavy duty anti-termite fumigation, basically. Takes a day or three.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PainterofCrap posted:

Termite treatments in the Northeast tend to be the drill the foundation/inject poison/seal the hole/poison the perimeter soil variety. If you cut off their water supply, they die.

The only time I've seen termites surviving without constant contact with the ground was one loss, where there was a roof leak that was collecting in a spot in the roof/ceiling framing in such a way as to keep the wood soaked constantly. Only time I saw a termite infestation two stories up.

Maybe the envelopment is to prevent poisoning the soil?

Different climate, different termite species, and VASTLY different construction. Where I live, most homes are stucco’ed cinderblock exterior walls on a concrete slab, with wood roofs and ceilings, and in older construction, wood interior framing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Only Lobsterboy would end up with a fuckin prototype Miller banger head.

This fuckin guy, goddamn.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Nailhead swap for maximum hotrod cred.

Megasquirt EFI twin-turbo nailhead swap.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LobsterboyX posted:

now I need to make the decision to either get the overhead going... or......

That’s esoteric enough that I’m unclear on what it is. Kinda looks like a blow-through box, but I’m just honestly at a loss.

As always: :f5:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I would absolutely bring all the rums transcontinental for a tikiwrench evening in LBX’s garage. Gawddamn.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lock wire suggestion: try the first couple by hand. It sucks to do a ton of wiring by hand, but it’s helpful to really get a literal feel for what you’re doing. Once you understand how to tighten the spiral exactly where you want it by hand, the pliers are there so you can go fast and look cool doing it. Also, despite the similarities, doing a triple adds a few complexities that you don’t need when you’re starting out. Just do pairs until you have a good handle on the basics. (In aviation, we never wire more than three fasteners together.)

Also, they make different size pliers for a reason. In automotive uses you can probably use .032 wire and medium pliers for everything, so don’t get a gently caress-off huge pair intended for .041 wire, and then try to use them to do .020 copper breakaway wire…

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Do yourself a favor; Get this printed and framed.

Goddamn that’s a good shot. :3:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My NHDA shirt and sticker arrived, and the Mrs hates them.

Mission: Accomplished.

:cheers:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PainterofCrap posted:

The SS United States, which has been parked at Pier 82 since 1996. Someone's paying $60K a month to slip it there.

Its gas-turbine engines powered it to speed record for the Atlantic crossing which has never been broken.

:spergin: United States is powered by steam turbines, not GTs. :spergin:

Fuckin’ thing did over 38kts in trials. Just amazingly fast.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

beep-beep car is go posted:

So it's basically a fancy troop transport?

She is first and foremost a troop transport, including warship-style compartmented engine rooms and increased compartmentalization generally.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Holy poo poo originals are like $4-500 each.

Corvette people are dumb. C1 people are extra special dumb.

You should totally do repros and make bank selling them to people emptying their 401k to pretend it’s 1962 again.

Bonus points if you put “Reproeger” where the original logo went.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I replaced my water heater last year. loving thing had an inspection sticker from 1985.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LobsterboyX posted:

I went over there to pull this thing down and quickly realized how cool this was, and how I didn't notice much about it other than it was old -

I've been combing around seeing if I can find any info on this thing and there's really nothing, when it was up in the garage I never even saw the stars on it - the whole motif really looks like it was something pertaining to government or military - Maybe this was in a veterans hall, recruitment office, library? who knows!

google doesn't provide much on this either...

Keese Engineering was rolled into Shannon Luminous Materials sometime between 1912 when John Shannon joined Keese, and 1939 when Shannon Luminous Materials was founded. SLM didn’t go out of business until 2021. Source

Pretty sure that fixture is pre-war. Also found this because time is obviously a flat circle where all paths lead back to LobsterBoy’s garage:

quote:

Several years later, while driving one afternoon in Culver City, California, Pop Shannon noticed men working in an open field on an airplane. Curious, he pulled over and began chatting with them. The day progressed into night and Pop Shannon suggested that they could use some of his lights that he had stored in his car. When he returned with the high-power lamps, the men started back to work and continued through the night. On of the men was named Donald Douglas, and his helpers were working on their first contract airplane. This relationship allowed Shannon to provide lighting and engineering to Douglas Aircraft Company for many years thereafter.

If the story isn’t completely apocryphal, that would be the Douglas DT.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:black101:

This loving rules, and so do you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LobsterboyX posted:

enhance...

I dont have a cat

in other news, I'm so drat busy with work, I dont have time for much fun.. so we'll see!

In other news, congrats on the cat. That’s how they notify their new owners