Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

blindjoe posted:

Congrats. Im interested on how you are going to mount baby seats in the classics, I want to take my kids out in my dad's 56 buick, but with no way to install kid seats, and no grandfather clause for no belts (that I know of) I am not sure how to not get pulled over.

What about grandfather clauses for vintage car seats? Do a Google image search for all kinds of unsafe-in-any-collision options!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Lobsterboy's posts over the years are why I keep a bit of an ear to the ground for a Buick of this era. Even unrestored they drip class.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

I'm also an...aficionado of older stuff, and have been trying to find info on how to repair an oscillating desk fan from the 60s.

Is there another sub forum that would be better for something like that?

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

LobsterboyX posted:

regarding the fans, I've never really had one that didn't work - the most I've had to do to one is grease and oil to get it turning again - some old school vacuum repair shops are still around and usually they can deal with electric motors, I actually had a local one rebuild the motor for a old craftsman saw I had.

The fan part works perfectly. This one seems a little unusual in that it has an oscillator, and that's what isn't working.

Googling only turns up loving pinterest links or old ads.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Sam's Club?

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Darchangel posted:

Also, if you don’t have an option to park the car further back on the trailer, maybe back it on. Even though it probably weighs gently caress all, your loading a bit front/hitch heavy, and that can cause interesting tow vehicle dynamics. Trailers work best basically balanced, or just a little nose heavy, as I recall. Tail heavy gets you that lovely tank slapping maneuver. (I might have that reversed - please correct me if wrong!)
Though, given the probably weight disparity between the tow-ee and the tow-er, it may not be an issue, and you’re right at the sweet spot.

You're correct. Weight farther forward, but don't overdo the tongue weight (which I also don't think will be a problem with this combo).

I've seen this gif on Imgur many times that demos the importance of weight balance really well.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

That's cool as hell. I'm from Vancouver Island but never knew they existed.

There's a lot of cool stuff there, though, like a guy who is sent Mercedes gullwings from all over the world for restoration, or another guy who is the only person 'allowed' to do bodywork on John Lennons' psychedelic Rolls Royce.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

GodDAMN do I love that Buick.

I look online sometimes, but always find sedans and never fastbacks(?).

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Awesome hat. Did you get it from boxes of chocolate frosted sugar bombs?

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

This was just posted in a dump on Imgur. It reminded me of your decals and I posted an Etsy link in the comments, so if you suddenly get an explosion in traffic or orders, that's why...

On a side note, can you do repro plates?
Edit: apparently they're already a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Googled 'Bermuda bell' because I'd never heard of those before.

If I understand it right, the bell mounts under the car and the plunger to ring it is like an old school floor mounted headlight switch?

The idea is that it's like a 'polite horn' for pedestrians?