Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!
Needs a shark mouth, louvres (LOTS of louvres) and brushed plain steel flat disc wheels. Also tall whitewall bias plys. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!
Love the stromberg. Is the chrome a custom job? I only remember seeing them in brushed or plain steel. Used to spot em for sale at car shows all the time but I don't remember ever seeing a chrome one.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

Sorry to hear about Paul Boz.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

Congrats on the kid! Most expensive thing you will ever have in your house, haha

Weird you're selling the caddy. Remember the thread when you bought it. I went through this a few years ago when I was forced to clear out my old cars. It stings. You kick yourself for about 6 months. Then you just move on. Times change. Also you find a new toy to occupy yourself with and its all good again. Every now and then you still get that sting back, but still. Good luck.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

LobsterboyX posted:

one year, he decided not to have the yearly show, the next year, every one of the cars was sold.

It's sad, we're getting to the end of the line for that generation of guys, and when they pass or get to the point of needing to dump everything the collections just disappear/get scattered. Not everything ends up like Harold Lemay's collection, most of it is just gone to the wind.

There's a guy you might have heard of named Bob Bahre. One of the old school type businessman/redneck/collector types, was supposedly a big influence on the 'Reginald "Pop" Merrill' Stephen King character if you're familiar, and had a huge car collection. HUGE. Well, they haven't started dumping Bob's collection yet, but look for it to hit the market eventually once they run out of his real estate to sell off. His collection runs into literally a couple thousand vehicles and is scattered all over Maine and NH in all sorts of shops, garages, friend's garages, warehouses, etc. I ran into him a few times and he was just an old grizzled guy in a yellow sweater you would never think twice had so much stuff. Nice as could be, and down to talk old cars for ages. First time I met him I happened to walk by one of his (unmarked) shops hidden behind a strip mall in rural BFE and stopped to stare at a Duesenberg parked outside. Blew my mind...what is that kind of car doing parked here of all places?! Here comes this little old man in a sweater to talk about the car for the next hour! Hahahah what a guy. Mind like a steel trap too, he could list off production numbers, horsepower and torque and years with anyone. And remembered a person and face after meeting them once. "Hey, you're the guy who liked my model SJ!" Amazing. Anyways, long story short he died a few months back at 93...and the cars are still there for now. Going to be gone soon I bet. One more piece of history gets moved from "living memory" to "ancient history" file. :(

Here was his main building, if you want a look at some cool stuff. Sorry for the boring pointless story Lobsterboy, your post about the Nick Alexander collection made me think of Bob. I love your thread and posts as always bud :) The car he and I talked about is the dark red Victoria Torpedo SJ at this link. That thing was fuckin incredible in person. Like staring at a chromed out space ship. I was dumbfounded by it.

https://theautoblonde.com/bob-bahre-car-collection/

Kurten
May 28, 2001

LobsterboyX posted:

When I look at estates like that it boggles my mind about los angeles real estate prices. that giant place.. sprawling, water, beautifully designed and well appointed, ample room for any loving thing you want.....

$5.4m

this is a few miles away from my house

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/16656-Oldham-St-Encino-CA-91436/19994960_zpid/

are you loving kidding me?

Yeah but it's all relative.

The nearest towns to that mansion are Meredith and Laconia. You'd be lucky to find full time work at a gas station for $8 an hour there. Even the seasonal summer work doesn't pay much more than that. It's rural as gently caress also, and commuting down to Portsmouth in the winter would be a bitch. If the average local wage is somewhere around $8-12 an hour $5.4 million is going to seem like $100 million or more in Encino. None of those houses down in Wolfeboro are owned by locals or residents, it's all rich folks from other states who bought it up as vacation homes. That's a whole other discussion though. :v: Anyways, cheers...great thread as usual, glad its still going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurten
May 28, 2001

LobsterboyX posted:

Im about to spend a lot of money - thank god none of you guys live in LA and are in to vintage poo poo, those photos are filled with gold and I'm going to go get them

Post the beer signs. The old ones are worth some serious money. Any Hamms stuff there you should snatch up immediately.