Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Frickin' sweet!

Digging on the fuel filter.

Was hooking up & synching the linkages straightforward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

LobsterboyX posted:

been cleaning out a bunch of crap and finding treasures I forgot I had!

reprint of a Michelin tire ad

if you've never seen these series of ads - the Michelin man was a total ham, and kind of an rear end in a top hat too, hes always smoking and throwing parts of his body at people. he was always invited to parties and fancy places.

The early Michelin man was terrifying.

LobsterboyX posted:

heres an awesome mid century bowl that I used as a business card holder at my first job out of college!

I WANT THIS BOWL will trade for a pair of Ronsonol butane candles in the box...

LobsterboyX posted:

and finally this really made me pause for a minute... My parents bought my childhood home in the early 70s, the san fernando valley has always been the suburb of the stars, especially the southern valley - As a kid I remember a kindly old woman who lived across the street from me, she lived with a younger woman who was kind of a care taker. My mom and these ladies would stand talk as the kids played in the street - she would call and invite my mom and I over - they would drink tea and I would admire her collection of amazing photographs of her with just about every star from the 30s to present day (early 90s) - I really loved visiting with her, and I loved her stories even more. Her name was Dorothy, Dorothy Lamour

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Lamour

also in my findings, I found the program from her funeral which I attended at the ripe age of 12, my mom told me that day "if you recognize anyone, don't say anything to them, its a funeral"

I love hearing stories of the rich and/or famous just being normal folk in the neighborhood. I am happy to learn that she emerged from the Hollywood star system/scene as a reasonably normal person. Fabulous!

Dorothy Lamour. drat.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yeah, that's the one I remember...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Re: scooter chat: I might try to get after one as my next project. Last time I looked, about 8-10-years ago, they were insanely priced.

Scooters are still holding up in value in Philadelphia since the pandemic hit, as people seek a way to get around without Uber or Lyft. One of my son's friends clued me in to this, noting also that powered scooters were going for insane money - he knew I have a restored Go-Ped hanging in my loft. I paid $40 for it at a yard sale in '09; apparently I can get $800 for it around here now?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Those taillights really work.

With respect to your GP bomb: "My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention."

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That is, without question, your kid.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I would absolutely open that chronometer and clean it up. Do it outside if you are really concerned; inside (garage workbench) on open newspaper and wear an N95 for peace of mind. At least, clean the glass lens. Wipe down the actual face with a few Q-tips or a bit of soft rag (underwear briefs work great) wrapped around something like a pencil.

Those Dreams...ahh...I'd have a bit further to go, but...agh.

As for salvage yard photos: these are from Friendship Auto Salvage in Tabernacle, deep in the Pine Barrens of NJ. I've been going to this yard since 1985 for parts, starting with my '65 Fury. They had five. The atmosphere is...unreal. Maritime forest + cars dating back to the 30s+dead silence except large cargo from McGuire passing overhead.

After a few trips, I toted along my K1000 and produced a bunch of shots on Tri-X. I used to process and print my own film, set up a darkroom in my apt kitchen. These were shot around 1987.

Friendship is still in business. I need to go next spring.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 3, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

A plug wire crimper? You have to custom-cut your wires?

After selling my Roadmaster last summer for a healthy profit, my wife made the passing suggestion that I should get the Pontiac painted. I seized upon this, and am now hip-deep in removing the brightwork from the body shell. It has been satisfying, revealing, and at times harrowing - I consider the car a museum piece - it is all original, with very little rust, and I am trying to preserve every single part I can, including fasteners and clips.

I bought the car in 2000 (to replace a wrecked '66- another story) from the grandson of the original owner. The OO drove it into his nineties, and the dings and dents told the tale. The right-rear quarter was a mess after he apparently sidswiped it on his garage door opening. The quarters on this car are eight feet long, and there's a character line through the center of the whole thing. I finally located a retired body man who worked his magic on it for a reasonable fee. It was he who informed me that the car had been re-painted. I knew parts of it had been - but he said no, the whole thing was done in single-stage, probably in the 70s or 80s. He showed all of the overspray I never really paid attention to - nothing had been removed - it was all taped off - a good job, but there's always overspray - so I felt much better about getting it done (I'd been showing it for years as 'original factory paint').

I am a terrible body man. It's in the av.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 24, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

LobsterboyX posted:

So, once again Mrs. Lobsterboyx is one bad b and really knows what I like - this "lamp" was my xmas gift:

but its not a lamp, its a Red Crown gas pump globe
HOLY poo poo where did she find this?

LobsterboyX posted:

again... shes a keeper.
I'll say. Good goddamn.

I bought my wife reproduction Sinclair lenses, and built a hanging mount for them - they're on the patio

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Always. loving always.

Missed out on a free '63 DeVille 4-door hardtop at a time like that

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Love the glass bias-ply tires.

Guessing that the caps are held on to the artillery wheels with either clips on the spokes, or a piece of baling wire.

Those have to be about the very last generation of wooden-spoke artillery wheels, or they were made for a truck. Or both. No newer than 1933.
If they're truly solid they might be fine.

The frame looks good & beefy, and the tongue is way overbuilt and appears properly welded. Great base for a project, but you sure as poo poo don't want a hangar queen.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Midjack posted:

From a different thread, something that will probably appeal to you:

Holy poo poo. My wife is going to plotz when she sees this

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That is definitely an antique/collectible collective somewhere, in someone's booth.

I doubt that it is in Adamstown PA, but I'll keep an eye out for it when I'm there in two weeks.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That looks like the dictionary definition of the word, "awesome."

How the hell does the linkage set-up function? You'd need a gas pedal the size of a skateboard to exert enough leverage to move six springs!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ugh I hear you on power steering - on the '66 Pontiac, the pumps can be had no problem, but I had one where the integrated tank had a bad weld at the filler neck that took about six months to find. I now have 4-5 pump units, and a couple of rebuild kits. Someday...

The "ugh' was for the Saginaw box. It developed a vicious leak at the Pitman arm right as I was dropping it off at body shop #1 to have work done before sending it off to Maaco. I tried a trick that worked once before, to dislodge the lower output seal & washer: run the engine & turn the wheel over hard to one stop & hold it - the pressure spike blows the seal & washer clean out.

Didn't work this time. I had to pull the box. I was able to replace the lower seal with difficulty...and then, jiggled the pivot arm and caused a ball-bearing to come out :gonk:

I have rebuilt a manual recirculating-ball box before - but that was 1982 and it was for a manual Ford Econoline.

The Pontiac shop manuals, as well as YouTube, were helpful. It took (no exaggeration) at least fifteen tries to get the balls installed properly (Saginaw has a thing where the balls are two different colors - chrome, and smoked brass; the latter are a slightly smaller diameter, and act as spacers for the chrome balls, and you must install them correctly, or you will grind up the balls & chases).

Ultimately it was a Good Thing, because this box had never been off of the car, and it was full of pudding-like gunk. Wish I'd had access to a proper powered parts-cleaning tub, though.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It is hard to tell from the angle of the photos...might it be possible to mount the filter bowl assemblies next to each carb using a 180-degree fuel line? You're going to be custom-bending line for the tail tank as it is.

As for the fuel pressure gauge - unless you have a favorite period analog unit, you could have one with a sending unit, which can be plumbed in next to the fuel pump...although I gather you want it out by the carburetors.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Those valve covers are bitchin'.

Looks like a fair set-up for the fuel lines - it'll be a simple matter to hook it up to the new fuel line when the time comes.

With no baffle between the headers and the carburetors: is vapor lock an issue?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Just love that kid!

Hard to beat the satisfaction of a job well-done, especially when you do most of it yourself. Feeling it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

LobsterboyX posted:

Re: happy kid -
youre hard pressed to see him frowning - he's so close to walking on his own, he holds one hand and cruises all over the place all day - he can't sit still, he's intent on being in the garage with me or in the roadster - never did I think I'd care about another human as much as I care about this little schnook.

Oh boy, are fun times a'comin'.

You may wonder at how a crawler can stretch their arms 3-4 feet like a wendigo to reach the unreachable...the same thing happens when they start running around.

It gets quiet.

Too quiet.

I'm thinking hard about adding another layer of 3/4" plywood on my workbench...but the thought of removing absolutely everything exhausts me

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 26, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Years ago I built a remote starter button using a doorbell button, zip cord and a couple of big broad alligator clips. One side to BAT & the other to the solenoid lug. Still in my box, though I haven't had to use it in many & many a year, probably because I gave up on most vintage Chrysler products in 1995.

Workbench looks slick!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

LobsterboyX posted:

ALARM!

I actually did something to the tank today.

I put it on a stand and removed the bar that was used to latch it to the airplane:

I WANT THAT LITTERING SIGN. drat. Where do you find this stuff? Is it just lying around in southern California?

LobsterboyX posted:

the second reason is that there was a foul smell coming from the vicinity of the tank and I needed to investigate it. - its literally been sitting on the ground with leaves and other debris gathering up behind it, ...
Figured it would have become clear when you moved it, but wet, rotting vegetation can smell surprisingly like rotting animal matter. I have an old whiskey barrel set-up to catch rainwater, and until I figured out how to filter it efficiently, one of the jobs I really dreaded was emptying that barrel before the first freeze. The smell of rotting leaves at the bottom would knock a buzzard off of a shitwagon.

LobsterboyX posted:

seems that someone filled them with this candle wax in an attempt to maybe make them work again? I started to scrape it out with an awl, but I'm going to use my heat gun to heat things up and hopefully dislodge it from the bottoms without scratching them.

Someone put an unclad votive in there for light and it melted down. Pour very hot water in there for a minute or so; it should soften it enough to release. Encourage it with something blunt & keep applying the hot water.

LobsterboyX posted:

bonus not crying car show baby with a staff car Packard

Weaponized cuteness.

I was glad when that car-show trend ran its course. Those doll-things were never charming, and I never figured out what they were supposed to represent. Child abuse?

That your Packard?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I want the Century.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

A piece of GM history, drat.

Photograph every single thing, document where it goes and bulk-buy small Ziplocs.

Glad to see the replacement pan since the original is cheese. You may need another, larger space to rotisserie the body shell while the frame is cleaned/checked/repaired. You’ll likely have to weld beams everywhere to preserve the body shape before pulling it from the frame.

Lots and lots of penetrating oil.

The blessing is that cars of this vintage are fairly simple - electrics and options are minimal to non-existent.

Cheers to your father/son project. Amazing. And you called me brave.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I may have a couple of spools of cloth-covered wire I picked up 20-25 years ago...on the original spools - it's been kept out of the sun. I'll check my garage loft & see if I can dig it out.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

angryrobots posted:

I did not come here expecting to find out my seasoning salt was attached to a restaurant. Wild.

No idea. Wait 'til my wife hears about this. She loves the old prime-rib joints.

Dinner clubs are apparently a big thing in Wisconsin, I wonder if they don't pre-date the California locations.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/chi-defining-wisconsins-supper-club-culture-20150119-story.html

https://www.travelwisconsin.com/dining/supper-clubs

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

StormDrain posted:

That garage as an impressive layering of cool poo poo. Interested in how you think two cars fit there, but I saw my neighbor cram three wide in his two car garage with dollies so what do I know.

It can be done. (with floor jacks)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

IOwnCalculus posted:

It almost feels weird saying this about a serving cart, but that's some goddamn metal artistry.

It was one of the signs of greatness in a culture: the development of a rich tradition of industrial art. This country used to produce beautifully designed and executed products: tools, trains, towel racks - nothing was too complicated, advanced, or mundane to be missed by the hand of an engineer with the heart of an artist. And solidly made. I have 75-year-old gardening tools because someone cared about quality and their name on a product. Even cheap 'economy' tools were built to last.

I have shown and demonstrated to my son, again and again throughout his life: here is a tool. Here is a simple thing: but look at the time care and attention that went into making something that was durable, beautiful, and worked...and still works. This was the America of my youth - at the very end of this golden age. This culture is not dead, although seriously diminished. It was pervasive and everywhere; it can be again.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yeah, my house was built in 1930 and had a small garage that could probably hold a Model A / Chevrolet of that time no problem.

Cramming my '66 Bonneville in there meant cutting out the lower rear wall to build a doghouse. The car was still two inches longer & the doors never shut right. I eventually tore it down and built something far larger.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yo, I found the wire!

It is not plug wire...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

More wire details

Two-wire, about 12 or 10-ga stranded

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 19, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

We have a set of four of these glasses - unlike your tumblers, these are more of a novelty item than a memento. Shot from the nozzle, chaser in the big end.

We have a couple of those Pyrex pans, one of those 6" and I think we have a 10" or 12" somewhere, although my son may have nicked it for his house.

Also had the saucepan and a couple of the percolators, which made great coffee but were a bitch to clean. It is extremely counter-intuitive to cook in glass over an open flame.

LobsterboyX posted:

a quick read tells me things are looking good, but the car is having a hard time coming off idle -

Also, I'm totally in the dark when it comes to spark plug tech ...
You have to find the correct heat range. If the plugs are fouling, they're too 'cold' for your engine; and by the looks of those snowy deposits, the NGKs are too hot. There's a Goldilocks somewhere between them. (edit: 2nd look, that may be a good cafe creme color...hard to tell. Maybe a little hot)

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 19, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

We have a set of those, but bought them a piece at a time; those, a couple tumblers, and at least two juice glasses. We love 'em!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ordered a plate.

I have to have that Traffic Violator tag, just as you wrote it.

Does the '42 engine have poured babbits, or machined bearing shells?

Given the age & history, I'd pull the pan and even the big-end bearing caps to see how they look. Then Plastigage them for wear depth if you're truly anal.

When I did a senior-year work-study at an engine shop in Willow Grove, PA in 1980, there was a huge kerfluffle when someone dropped a Pontiac straight-8 block onto the shop floor & broke off some critical bit. Glad it wasn't me.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 24, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

LobsterboyX posted:

I cant stop DU DU DU DU DU DU dudu DUTUDUTUDUTU...

Well, when deals of the century come knocking, I come a scraping change jars to make it happen.
You are insane. :)

LobsterboyX posted:

When I plugged it in, things started working, which was enough for me to know that if anything it will need a freon upgrade or.... maybe even nothing - I don't have the balls to leave the thing plugged in without really checking the wiring on this thing

There is absolutely no reason that you cannot rewire the compressor line (plug---> relay) yourself. These are absurdly simple refrigerators. You may recall I have a 1939 GE that I rewired and it's been fine for over a decade.

Open the relay cover and take photos of the wire layout. Buy a 12-GA extension cord & lop off the female end. Strip back to leave at least a foot of ground (these older units usually aren't grounded - they're no a problem per se, but if it's outside on a slab and you're barefoot, you might get a tickle) and bond the ground somewhere on the frame. Just follow the polarity of the original & it'll be fine.

As for the coinbox Jones plug & drum operation: physically inspect the wire & look for cracks. The Jones plug trunks were, IIRC, pretty robust, and there may not be many free-floating wires in there. They are usually in good shape because the internal operations are intermittent and don't draw a huge amount when they are operating, and the wire was protected from heat & UV. The main power/compressor wire insulation, however, is probably (literally) toast.

ALSO

I have a case or three of 6-oz Coke bottles - older, heavier, embossed - that I used to use to make beer a million years ago. I would prefer that they go to a good home - but getting them filled would be a problem. 'Course, when you have free time (Dad), you can make root beer or some kind of soda & bottle it...

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 26, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

When I was in college in the latter half of the last century, the Giant Eagle in Bedford, PA had a generic section. Entire aisle of white packaging.

No alcohol, though. Only ever saw the BEER in Repo Man , and even then I wasn't sure it was real.

The macaroni & cheese wasn't bad. Especially since a box was 23-cents (in 1982). The cereal, however, was nasty.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

How do I get some?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I did a thing today.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PainterofCrap posted:

I did a thing today.

e: thread's coming. It's been a log day

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

boxen posted:

1966 New Yorker?

Goddamn do I want a 60's Chrysler.

Good luck finding one without the wheel arches & rear quarters eaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Did Mrs. LBX take that last shot? Amazing, adorable, timeless.