Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I’ve got a guy who can help you with louvres, too. He built my jeep and knows his poo poo, and has been fascinated with salt flats stuff lately. Have you been out to El Mirage? We’re talking about going to the next run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

and from last weekend at pebble - a few friends hanging out:

MrOnBicycle posted:

What car is this? I love this.
This is too funny - the photographer is an old friend. Sending this his way, he'll dig seeing his photo out there.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles posted:

This is too funny - the photographer is an old friend. Sending this his way, he'll dig seeing his photo out there.
Apparently, chassis 1015 and 1044.

Cool.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

and here is Travel Town at griffith park - its a train museum and public park - I also got married here in 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4HL28Sd9XY
My daughter LOVES this place. We live close enough that it's kind of the default "hey, you need to burn some energy, let's go to Travel Town!". Super awesome footage, and your music choices are fantastic!

I think I saw someone on their way to RPM on Friday - it wasn't you, but we saw a cool old coupe, gray, chopped windows, like yours but with a roof, maybe? - on the way north. I was tempted to suggest to my wife that we stop by, but we were in the midst of picking up a new puppy in Redding, so time was not on our side.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

and finally, this is how my wife and I announced we're having a baby...

Nice! Congrats, dude. That's a heck of a life change, and you're going to love it!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm pretty sure Lobsterdad has a modern car as well, and, I mean, yeah, newer cars are safer, but as long as you get a new car seat and LATCH-like attachment points, I don't think you'd be a monster to put a kid in a classic.

I added LATCH to a car, which was admittedly a lot newer than anything he likes, but it's far from unreasonable to do.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, a modern childseat, particularly if you can retrofit a car with mounts for this LATCH system (I assume that's the US equivalent of ISOFIX?) shouldn't be inherently unsafe.
Yep. A lot of seats just have both attachments now, and I believe that some (most?) are actually cross-compatible. I.e., it's nearly exactly the same thing.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

*stops cutting onions*

I totally hear you. I've actually been looking at them as well, as I'm at that "time to get a real dad(mom) car" point as well. My daughter loves my mustang, but she's very much on the verge of not being able to squeeze into the backseat anymore.

I'm basically at: 2000s era V8 Landcruiser/LX 4xx, new-ish F150 (crew cab), new-ish Explorer, or new Bronco, probably roughly in order of "being able to". I might have to swap a couple around in terms of what's realistic, but an old LC is definitely within affordability, the new Bronco is ... probably not. The two in the middle :shrug:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

whatever you do, do not go to that shady rear end dealership in burbank, right by the airport, i made the mistake of going there! Ive been searching for a decent private party deal for a black one with gray interior with under 200k on the clock - you'd think I was hunting last (endangered species animal) on earth.
Ooooh, yeah, that place is sketch. I feel like it's an extension of the weird parking lots for the airport, they seem to share a management philosophy. Good looking out, thank you!

LobsterboyX posted:

the newer exploders had the issue where it was co2 poisoning the coppers, i looked at them briefly as they are comfy, big and somewhat powerful. Personally I just cant swing a pickup, any modern truck is just so goddamn huge (says the guy with 20' long cars) , to me it defeats the purpose of having half a vehicle, gently caress even the new "midsize" trucks dwarf the full size trucks of the 90s - that stews me
I definitely think an SUV is more realistic size wise, but I like the idea of the space a truck would provide, and I have to admit I do like driving them - my wife's cousin's husband has a really nice one, and if I could find it's twin, I'd be up for it. ~'16-17, 5.0, RWD, short bed, crew cab, all the comfort options inside, lowered and leveled, with a pretty mean exhaust.

I'll have to look up that CO2 issue - I'd obviously like to avoid it, and I hadn't heard about it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

...when I was a yout...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd1CijCUj8w

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

Life is too short to be a normal person, if you are in to something, live it, and the people that are also in to the same kind of thing will find you, as you find them. My job is weird, my house is weird, my wife is weird - but its completely normal to me!

The dairy has been open for over 100 years as a family owned business, the true name of the dairy is Broguiere's and they have been known for being the last dairy in southern califronia to use glass bottles for their milk:

it is also one of the most high quality milks you've ever tasted, it is sourced from local farms with herds of less than 100 cows - their chocolate milk is like drinking a milkshake and the formula is a closely guarded secret, it really is/was one of the best things I've ever had. I've been drinking this milk since I was a child. You'd buy the bottles at the market, drink them and bring them back with you and give them to the checker - people often would complain about the price, but it was literally a 2 dollar bottle.

Also, eggnog... November 20th had always been the day.. when the eggnog showed up. It was so thick, they couldn't run their bottling machines (that are over 70 years old) at full speed because the mix was too thick. It was the highest quality stuff you could get, and has been a tradition for LA natives for as long as anyone could remember, tradition beyond tradition.
I would just like to say, this poo poo is amazing. I finally managed to acquire some (my local Ralph's has it!) and it's booooommmmmmmb.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

also, quicky update on my lexus - I never thought I'd love a car made after 1960 this much...

I love seeing places I recognize in your post, and I love that y'all had your baby shower at Chili John's - that's awesome!

Also, super jealous of that LX.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Oh, that's awesome! I've actually only been there twice, and I think the first time was ~mid-December. I'm hooked, though - the seasonal Turducken chili was boooooomb. Took the family back, even my daughter had fun and liked the food!

Oooooooh, that sounds fun. I wonder if they'd want a battered rock crawler in it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

the coupe belongs to a friend
Did this guy drive up to the event last year (~late october, I think you said you were going?)

I'm like 99% sure this is the car we saw on the 5N while we were heading to Redding to get our puppy.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Sounds exactly like it.

I like spicy food, and it’s on of the few places I’ve been to that can actually hit me hard enough to slow me down.

edit: They also have rice as an option for underpinning.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 19, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I mean, that's a tiny picture, but I think that's like a chrome grill? (Better pictures here, I think: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2584847/1934-ford-coupe/)

That sure looks like a custom part to begin with - googling "1934 Ford Coupe" comes up with a variety of different configurations, few of which look like that. If they're not sold as replicas, getting that custom made is going to require finding a fabricator and getting them to custom make it - doable, but might be expensive depending on exactly what it's going to look like/require.

It doesn't look too complex, but without looking at the actual car and knowing exactly what the client wants it to do / look like, I couldn't really judge that.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Midjack posted:

You might also explore getting a part 3D printed in metal and chrome plated, which might work out cheaper than the classic metalworking approach.
Is metal 3D printing that cheap? Because I feel like that has to be (considerably?) more expensive than what most fabricators would do:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Knipex is amazing stuff. My family got me the Cobra pliers for Christmas and they’re fantastic.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

https://www.earlytelevision.org/kuba.html

Apparently $1260, or ~$10k today. Reading some more, it's more than the average salary in West Germany.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 2, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is that not a standard square receiver, pin through the back?

It looks like a "throw a ball adapter in it and call it good" but I feel like I'm missing something.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

StormDrain posted:

The 37 amp alternator was fine.
Fine for what, charging a flashlight???

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

You're adding to my list of things I need to do when it's safe again, dammit.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ok, now add some hollandaise.

HEY LOBSTERMAN! Am I correct in recognizing that for sale black caddy on insta?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ditto.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Scientific. Right.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The sci-fi fan part of me does, the "americans don't need more guns" doesn't.

Eh, let's do it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ARTPUP posted:

Bang on Jay Leno's door and tell him your plight. He might help since he fab's parts all the time.
This might not actually be a crazy suggestion. Especially if you show up in that car, he'd probably talk to you.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

truth! I don't get a long with most people I work with because they are clueless as to why I do the things I do!

Surprisingly, I thought I was just going to clean this sucker up and put in in the box for that one special day I needed to un-do a big old nut, but I was modifying the seat in my roadster last weekend and it came in perfectly for bending the sheet metal - then beating it in to place. It is a versatile tool.

as a side note:

I have a rather unhealthy obsession with Kennedy tool boxes - for those that don't know, Kennedy is still in business and specializes in tool boxes for machinists (Ex. Lots and lots of drawers) They have been in business since 1911 and make a killer product - they are known for their beautiful felt lined drawers, krinkle finish and silky smooth drawer action.

here's a small part of my collection

So while I was in New England I came across this beauty at the same sale where I got the wrench:

It's a union steel- machine style box - couldn't pass it up, so I sacked up and had the thing shipped back for more money than I paid for it!

The big wrench now lives inside this box
This is quoting from way back, but I just wanted to say that you got me looking for and maybe hooked on Kennedys - I have three now! - and ask if you knew what era the square top (edit: 11!)7 drawer on the right of your first image is from?

Edit again:
Of course after I posted this, I found this:

LobsterboyX posted:

This is my grandfathers box - its from the late 30s (because of the squared top)

... Hell yeah.

I've got one that was very ugly (repainted, and paint splashed on it, and dirty) when I got it (sorry for small image, it's the only one I saved from the original ad):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

My square top had a Rainier Beer bottle opener hidden behind the drawers, and my round top has a Cessna Badge on the front and came with an Air National Guard keychain with the keys.

Not exactly a treasure map but waiiiiit, did you go look for the treasure?

I see those Douglas bestickered boxes, but I think I'm not supposed to buy any more until I figure out where these are going. But I might have a line on a bargain 526...