Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
I went through a similar decision making process recently - I commute 7 miles each way 4-5 days a week, and have another car as the family and grocery hauler. EV's are cool and the tech finally seems practical, with the added bonus that I can charge for free at work. Basically, I could commute for free with an EV vs. buying a beater car to make the commute. The numbers really don't work out in favor of the EV:

I grabbed the lease price for the Bolt straight from Chevy's site, a base model with only the Driver Convenience (and the required package to get that one), with registration fees from the California DMV calculator. The maintenance prices for the VW are pretty hefty, you would probably have some reclaimed money there. I used my full coverage Fiesta ST insurance cost for the Bolt, assuming it could be higher because it's 50% more expensive than the Fiesta. If your current car isn't financed, you can't forget the added cost to register and insure a new financed car.

Even stacking the deck against the Golf, the EV comes out ~$19,000 behind assuming you never pay for a charge. And it's a lease, so you don't actually end up with a car after that 39th month. You could throw the beater car away and start over again every three years and still be almost 20 grand ahead. Hell, you could buy a $10,000 used car with a maintenance budget to take it to a shop for everything and STILL break even (and have a paid for car at month 40).

Don't get me wrong, it could be fun. Just know going into it that you're probably spending $20,000 over 3ish years to drive a silly green golf cart. You can tweak the numbers on this spreadsheet if you want to roll your own costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread