Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Do kids even know what static is nowadays?

There were two shows we used to watch when on Acid, the Snow channel and the Blue channel (VCR screen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

Never the best way to find out. :(

Tom Selleck was a great man :(

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Didn't even inhale.

SMDH

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

DaveKap posted:

Jeep! Because who cares about center of mass?

That looks more like a Mahindra Jeep knock off that is skinnier than a Jeep so its more like an ATV on stilts.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

For a second I thought that was a LED video wall and was impressed with the install but its just a boring green screen. Why are people impressed with it?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

SubNat posted:

Why would a LED wall be any more impressive? It would still net the same end result: showing off a visual.
People are impressed because it's a very good way to visually communicate what they're talking about in a way that a colour-coded map really won't.
And people are impressed because it's a huge increase in the production values of a weather report.

It's a very nice, impactful way to show off the height of the storm surge in some areas. That's really it.

Because combining a fine pitch seamless panel array with incorporating curved panels is much more impressive than essentially painting a wall green. Sure the content delivers the message that water higher than a person is...higher than a person? but the tech and lovely green screen look is dated.

Perhaps its just the articles I have read talking about the great feats to get the screen/studio built in time for the hurricane. To me its like putting a tube tv in your wall and having people be impressed with your "flat screen" tv.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

ledge posted:

I bet you're fun at parties.

why I just tell people I work with computers IRL instead of "Digital Solutions Engineer in the Digital Out of Home industry" :banjo:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Thermochromic pigments mixed with a paint/ink base. I have some that I used to make a hidden message book and mix with resin. Fun stuff to play with.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Someone printed a copy of Fahrenheit 451 this way.

Yeah, I saw that video which is what made me get some to mess with. I did a "Unclassified/classified FBI Document" with black redacted marks that revealed mad lib style words underneath. A lot of people use the same to make Rorschach masks with, heat from your breath will turn the pigments transparent.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Thats the good stuff, I love hot swapping panels.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Mushika posted:

I don't know, I've worked with a number of LED panel walls, but that seems pretty consistent with my experience. Sometimes the panels make contact with the connector leads (power and data, which you can see before he pops the panel in) before the panel is fully seated. It looks to me like they powered on the wall to troubleshoot any panels not working, and he was replacing two that weren't. I'm no expert on LED walls. They're too expensive for most venues around here to own, and tend to be the kind of thing big touring shows can afford to use, and they all use different brands and formats.

I am an expert on LED walls :smug: and in that video they are using magnetic "locking" panels with contact connectors. The reason it looks like it is missing frames is because the magnets are literally pulling the panel out of his hands. The second panel he is just adjusting the panel a bit to get rid of the seam. If you were to put a solid white image up there and shot the video looking directly at it apposed to from the side you would see the panel lines. Very few manufacturers use side suction to fully get rid of the seam.

Interesting industry tidbit; one small manufacturer of modular LED panels filed a patent lawsuit and actually won forcing several huge manufacturers to re-design their panels and several medium to large manufacturers said gently caress it and just closed up shop. It prevents the import of any more of that specific type of panel so continued support for those systems will be impossible within the next few years. Companies that spent half a million on a wall will likely have to replace the whole thing (or use illegally imported panels which is not that uncommon).

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Mushika posted:

Huh. That's really interesting, thanks. Learned something new today.

What company was the small manufacturer that won the lawsuit? I'd like to read about that.

UltraVision, went after Shenzhen made panels which is like 1 of 3 of the main Chinese manufacturers.

https://www.digitalsignagetoday.com/news/ultravision-wins-lawsuit-over-2-led-patents/

https://www.sixteen-nine.net/2018/04/02/ultravision-sues-37-led-companies-including-u-s-firms-for-patent-infringement/

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

ante posted:

Magnets.

Tiny Plastic pry bar or my pocket knife when I'm lazy and can't find the bar.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

mmmm arm sweat garnish.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkFAcFtBD48&t=36s

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

That70sHeidi posted:

The emergency room rooms have this in our local hospital. It's great for when your companion is bored af and can watch the nurses station and ambulances coming in, while the lame person in the bed naps. Then when the doctor comes in you just hit a slider switch and bam, opaque again.

I have some samples sitting next to me.

If you are curious, they work by putting electricity to the liquid crystals aligning them in tiny rows to allow you to see through it (why it is still kinda hazy on cheaper models) and when there is no electricity the crystals "relax" into a random pattern filling up the film making them opaque.

So if there is ever a power failure to the control unit the glass goes opaque.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Bluemillion posted:

How the hell do you even clean that up? It's steel!

How do you think sheet metal is made :downs:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I made a bottle of conductive ink. It's pretty fun stuff to mess around with. You can also use it as a capasitive touch so the ink is responsive to human touch. Only draw back is because it uses graphite powder as the conductor you can only really get black ink out of it.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Unperson_47 posted:

You can also get coopper and silver based conductive paints but it's expensive as hell. I made some of my own with powdered graphite that worked well but it was a pain in the rear end to work with.

What did you use for the base? The one I made used the following, which was pretty easy to work with albeit a bit slow to dry.

1,000 mL water
300g Graphite
100g Gum Arabic
3mL Glycerine
5mL Listerine

Phanatic posted:

So..it's pretty much exactly like a pencil?

A liquid pencil :downs: I used the ink with a paint brush.

On the subject of pencils if I could actually draw I'd be tempted to do this to etch metals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btc2Q45B8VQ

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Unperson_47 posted:

My recipe was nowhere near this complex. I was using cheap poo poo like glue, acrylic paint, 2 part epoxies. I was trying to 3D print PCBs with trenches for traces and filling those trenches in with the paint after placing components. I made a few working PCBs like this for projects but the consistency of mine was less ink/paint and more like a mud.

It's too much of a hassle for me to bother with it again.

How strong is the adhesion of your mix? I might swipe it if it can actually hold components in place

Hold components probably not at all, but you can paint the traces and solder the components on. The ink I made was very viscous and would go on like a water paint. You can thicken it up with more gum arabic but run the risk of loosing conductivity. You could also try cold casting with copper/aluminum powder and resin but I have not tried that for circuit boards.

I mainly used it for artistic value, making paintings you touch to produce musical notes via Arduino or silk screening it onto shirts.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

More of a Seaquest DSV vibe from the 90s.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

James Woods posted:

I loving love that movie.

Nobody ever gets my "Cause when your cool the sun shines on you 24/7" reference.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The fact this was done with Pixeloop App and not to the actual print makes it not awesome.

I was really hoping that was the new ACeP e-ink displays I saw at DSE last year.

Edit:

SgtScruffy posted:

Doing shrooms and looking at a picture of a waterfall is a much cheaper way of getting this effect :colbert:

At least with Shrooms you don't have to be staring at your phone to see it move

JEEVES420 has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Mar 1, 2019

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

MrYenko posted:

I spent almost the whole episode wishing I had splurged on an OLED TV.

You don't need OLED, you do need to color calibrate your screen though. If you have more than one display in your house then splurge on a Spyder or other calibration tool. Hell get your friends and relatives to go in on it, you only really have to calibrate once a year.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

XTimmy posted:

Christ, just google 'How to calibrate my monitor using SMPTE bars". Calibration devices aren't necessary unless you're trying to ensure colour accuracy between devices. I'm a camera assistant who regularly has to make sure monitors are displaying accurately in the field and the last time I touched a Spyder was when I was working in large format print.

Edit:https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/calibrating-video-monitors-on-set/
Do the above, skip the last step your TV Lilley does not have a blue only mode.

YouTube colour bars, PLUGE or SMPTE bars till you find something or if you're really up for it download these http://www.mytvtestpatterns.com/. If you need help let me know.

BNT is used to calibrate a screen to the video camera and provide a reference point for post production. Your article starts with "move the monitor to the shade" :downs: Not to mention to properly calibrate using BNT you need a vectorscope... There is a reason you usually only see it used in production rooms (dark)/on set (camera calibrating).

A Calibration device uses an on board camera to adjust the display based on ambient light. They are used to ensure proper calibration of the display in its environment, not just to match the source video. It also takes the "eyeballing" out of the equation like you suggest.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Lurking Haro posted:

He's lucky he didn't get ground up for paint.

The real deal mummy brown is hard to find, its all synthetic pigments now a days. I just want to paint with dead people.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

apatheticman posted:

https://i.imgur.com/2xU701n.mp4

I don't get it? gently caress you ma for bringing me this gigantic za?

"Come on, you can't mix Italian American and Chinese food, what's wrong with you?"

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I keep seeing people use "boomer" but is it in reference to the actual boomer generation born in the late 50s early 60s?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The Little Death posted:

It's really just code for "old white people exhibiting all the worst traits of being old and white" now.

So what age range is "old", the references seem to be all over the place and this is confusing.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm one of those. I'm right on the cusp of Millennial and GenX and I keep hearing Oregon Trail Generation all of a sudden for my age as well. I'm 38 born in 1980, so I guess I don't really have a spot.

Xailennial is kinda catchy though.

Yeah we get lumped in with GenX, GenY, Millennial, Oregon Trail, etc. Why I was trying to figure out am I a boomer now?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

is that honey?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I thought you guys were talking about cross fit guy but you are talking about cartoon guy.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

owl_pellet posted:

Pictured: jamesman trying to read this thread on an apple Newton

A newton joke? What year is it again?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

That seems quite wasteful and not all that efficient.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

I'd like to think he just got up and kept talking to the trucker like nothing happened. Just another day on the job.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Don't worry, I still don't get it even with that cartoon gif.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Azhais posted:

Even my 20 year old Dodge Dakota auto locked. I can't even come up with a vehicle I've been in since I got my license that didn't do that.

Also, I don't know what that guy did, but great work adding a baker's dozen of extra felonies on top

I have never owned a vehicle with auto locking doors :colbert:

I have never even locked the doors on my current vehicle but its a '06 Wrangler so...

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/vEbHYME.gifv
Take a screenshot during this gif, whatever it lands on you have to watch.

Lol, somebody help me out here...

I got fat cage but no idea what movie it is.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

If it changes anything it should be to abolish wet markets where all of these seem to originate from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

This is how hotdogs are made.