Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FluffieDuckie

Luvcow posted:

a total of 6 people have responded, and i'm thankful they tried, but byob has spoken and that message has been received: byob thinks this thread sucks. i loved the idea but it seems i'm alone in that so no reason to keep trying to push it forward. i'm gonna head on home now :(

:gas:

and if no :gas: then just unstick and let the thread slowly sink down the page and disappear

wait, no what???

this was my fave :cry:

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker

Manifisto posted:

the thread is great, I love it and hope against hope you change your mind and decide to continue it even a bit further, so we get some closure to the story.

byob works in fits and spurts, sometimes things are inexplicably fast-moving, sometimes they're very slow. imo you should not in any way take personally the rate at which people weigh in on a thread.

but whatever you decide, thanks for the thread so far, I've enjoyed the directions it's taken and would hate to see it peter out.

yeah, please continue op

ChubbyChecker

> go north, but check your surroundings on the way, and be cautious

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
Thanks for the kind words, i had a little crisis in confidence and i know this isn't a very byob thread so i got to thinking it was a huge mistake to create this thread in the first place. For the handful of people who actually like the thread i apologize for my weak willed derail.

Teddy runs from the cottage, a sudden wave of fear washing over him. He comes to sitting in the grass crying and realizes in his haste he inadvertently threw snail from it's place on top of his head. Small Snail slowly makes it's way out of the cottage and gently reassures Teddy that it's going to be ok. The two sit in silence for a few minutes, slowly coming to the realization that the birds and the frogs have begun to sing again.

ChubbyChecker posted:

> go north, but check your surroundings on the way, and be cautious

Teddy gathers himself and returns snail to it's place on his head. To the north, along the river's edge, snail can detect the path that the evil has taken, perhaps heading to the remains of the ancient bridge. Snail questions if it may be trying to cross the river, as evil cannot cross running water without the aid of a bridge or boat. Teddy takes a deep breath and then begins his journey again. Snail reminds him that he has protection and strength until the sun sets, which should occur in 5 or 6 hours time. The bridge should be within reach in 4 hours time of walking.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
go north looking for clues, but maybe camp on this side of the river before crossing the bridge?

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Luvcow posted:

Thanks for the kind words, i had a little crisis in confidence and i know this isn't a very byob thread so i got to thinking it was a huge mistake to create this thread in the first place. For the handful of people who actually like the thread i apologize for my weak willed derail.

My friend this post -=IS-= BYOB.It's why we are all here, for the sudden, spontaneous sharing we do for each other. In the words of my chess computer when I make a good move: "you are well"

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

FluffieDuckie

:neckbeard:

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

City of Glompton

Luvcow posted:

:glomp:

i agree we should go north, and keep an eye out for things out of the ordinary

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Ask friend Snail to become bigger so that we can then ride it because obviously since a snail moves slow when it's small it stands to reason a snail will move way faster if it were big enough to ride.

alnilam

I don't think embiggen is on our snail friend's spell list :ohdear:

alnilam

imo head north with a cautious eye, but frolic a little as you go, have to keep your spirits up, can't let this change who we are

Manifisto

City of Glompton posted:

:glomp:

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Splatmaster posted:

Ask friend Snail to become bigger so that we can then ride it because obviously since a snail moves slow when it's small it stands to reason a snail will move way faster if it were big enough to ride.

Snail chuckles at the suggestion and laments the fact it cannot make itself bigger and faster, well..... it can't yet.

Hugh Malone posted:

go north looking for clues, but maybe camp on this side of the river before crossing the bridge?

City of Glompton posted:

alnilam posted:

imo head north with a cautious eye, but frolic a little as you go, have to keep your spirits up, can't let this change who we are

The two skirt along the edge of the river, frolicking as they go, until the snail starts to see signs of harvesting. Some nightshade snipped off there, a little water iris picked there, nettles and berries gathered there. All of them lead snail to believe that someone is gathering ingredients for a spell. It is about a half hours walk from the bridge that Teddy comes across a small stand of birch saplings that have been sawed down, some of the grass has been matted down and it looks like a bundle of the birch was tied together and then hoisted up to be carried north. Snail supposes that either they will be used to temporarily repair the bridge or lashed together to make a raft. Though perhaps there was another purpose to the destruction of the little copse of birch. Snail quietly says a prayer for the felled saplings.

With several hours of daylight left snail asks if Teddy still plans to camp by the river or if he wishes to continue north.

Manifisto

maybe we should continue north while we have the light? also, are there any items we might wish to gather for counterspells?

Robot Made of Meat

We really should continue. After all, our spell will wear off soon.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

City of Glompton

Robot Made of Meat posted:

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

maybe we should continue north while we have the light? also, are there any items we might wish to gather for counterspells?

Robot Made of Meat posted:

The two decide not to set up camp just yet and instead make their way north to the ancient bridge. Along the way Teddy inquires into whether or not he should be looking for spell ingredients. Snail says that it doesn't use them but if Teddy would like to learn any magic then snail could tell him what he must gather and whom he must seek out to learn the spell from.

A few hours before sunset Teddy arrives at the bridge and stands for a moment to survey it. Most of the bridge still remains but near the far edge a section has collapsed, now temporarily fixed with the birch saplings precariously spanning the gap. Snail implores Teddy to be careful crossing as the salt from the brackish water could prove fatal to it if the bear should teeter and fall in.

Robot Made of Meat

Luvcow posted:

Snail implores Teddy to be careful crossing as the salt from the brackish water could prove fatal to it if the bear should teeter and fall in.

Be careful, Teddy. :ohdear:

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
I think Teddy may want to ask Walter to help out here. See, Walter is a Walking Stick, and the birch saplings used to patch the bridge are sort of sticks, so Walter could ask the birch sticks to be extra strong for his friend Teddy when he crosses it, so that Teddy's friends Snail and Walter won't have to worry about Teddy so much.

Manifisto

well I wonder if we should maybe remove the stick repair for the evening, so if an evil spirit used it to cross they won't be able to come back to bother us in our sleep. tomorrow morning, Splat's suggestion about getting Walter's advice sounds excellent.

If we do decide to camp for the evening, I'd love to hear any stories small snail has to tell--or, failing that, any suggestions about spells or suchlike we may be able to use. perhaps we can learn something that would let us know what happened to the little girl and if she's around somewhere help us find her.

ty nesamdoom!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Splatmaster posted:

I think Teddy may want to ask Walter to help out here. See, Walter is a Walking Stick, and the birch saplings used to patch the bridge are sort of sticks, so Walter could ask the birch sticks to be extra strong for his friend Teddy when he crosses it, so that Teddy's friends Snail and Walter won't have to worry about Teddy so much.

Manifisto posted:

well I wonder if we should maybe remove the stick repair for the evening, so if an evil spirit used it to cross they won't be able to come back to bother us in our sleep. tomorrow morning, Splat's suggestion about getting Walter's advice sounds excellent.

If we do decide to camp for the evening, I'd love to hear any stories small snail has to tell--or, failing that, any suggestions about spells or suchlike we may be able to use. perhaps we can learn something that would let us know what happened to the little girl and if she's around somewhere help us find her.

Teddy approaches the saplings and confers with Walter the walking stick, asking for help in steadying his crossing. After a few moments snail asks him if Walter told him anything. Teddy nods and says that Walter encouraged him to remove the saplings for the night and set up camp before crossing to the other side in the morning. Snail appears happy with this decision and climbs down from Teddy's head to search out some food.

Teddy fashions the saplings into a small shelter and when done sees snail returning with several large dandelion greens to munch on, telling Teddy that he found some blueberry bushes a little ways north. A few minutes walk and several more spent picking and Teddy has a small supper ready as well.

As they settle down for the night and the sun begins to set behind the western horizon Teddy asks Small Snail if he knows any stories or if he knows how Teddy can find the girl from his memories. Snail grows quiet for a bit and munches away on his greens before finally beginning to talk again. He tells Teddy that all he knows he's learned from Old Turtle who spoke of a time many years ago when the humans disappeared.

First there was a great war, then a great sickness and slowly they either died or disappeared. Migrating birds traveling through the area spoke of vast wastelands to the south and west, of empty crumbling cities and a strange loneliness that swept the world. Snail stops and chews some more before continuing, watching as Teddy pops blueberries into his mouth and listens with rapt attention. Strange things began to occur in the absence of humanity, magic became more powerful and widespread. Spirits began to rise and the world changed and still continues in ways that most can't understand.

Snail finishes by saying that perhaps tomorrow when they cross the river they can seek out Old Turtle if Teddy wishes to know more.

Manifisto

excellent. good meal, good story. old turtle definitely sounds worth seeking out.

I'm so glad this is continuing! it just keeps getting better, and the art is really great

Karate Bastard

Maybe Teddy knows some spells but forgot? Like I'm pretty sure Teddy is a support class, but if my Norse horror games taught me anything it's that you need to hug your teddybear to be able to shine its magic against the dark of the night. Can snails hug?

Also, Teddy shouldn't be too afraid of the water. If my Norse horror games taught me anything it's that teddies will come right out of the cycle right as rain if you just help them with the door.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Sep 8, 2018

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

excellent. good meal, good story. old turtle definitely sounds worth seeking out.

Karate Bastard posted:

Maybe Teddy knows some spells but forgot? Like I'm pretty sure Teddy is a support class, but if my Norse horror games taught me anything it's that you need to hug your teddybear to be able to shine its magic against the dark of the night. Can snails hug?

Also, Teddy shouldn't be too afraid of the water. If my Norse horror games taught me anything it's that teddies will come right out of the cycle right as rain if you just help them with the door.

Teddy feels contented with his supper and the company of the snail and tries to make sense of the story snail has just told. That night he dreams of a time he was placed into a washing machine with the other stuffed animals. The unicorn, another bear, a seal, an owl.... others he can't quite remember. He does remember the girl opening the dryer door, her happiness that her friends were clean and dry again and ready for more tea parties in the meadow and adventures in the woods.

In the morning Teddy wakes to find Small Snail once again chewing on some greens and urging Teddy to eat more blueberries before they break camp. Teddy happily complies and then breaks down the little shelter and reassembles the saplings so as to cross the broken bridge. Midway through the crossing Teddy begins to falter. From the top of his head Teddy can feel a tingle as the snail flattens itself and does it's best to hug him, offering reassurance that it believes in the bear. Teddy calls on Walter the walking stick for aid and in an instant he feels steady again, the stick seeming to anchor itself to the saplings and provide the support Teddy momentarily lacked.

Once on the other side Teddy thanks the snail for the hug and the stick for it's help. The two sit down in the grass to compose themselves, the cool morning air punctuated by the calls of songbirds greeting the morning sun. Snail says that he feels the evil headed east into the forest, though Old Turtle should be about an hours walk to the northeast at the Old Mill pond if the bear wants to learn more. He says that a two hour walk to the southeast lies the ruins of a windmill, a frequent home to other snails who know spells that Small Snail does not and who may be able to teach Teddy some magic if he so wishes.

Manifisto

choices :ohdear:

I have a feeling old turtle might help us figure out what kinds of spells might be useful to learn from the snails

but I could be convinced otherwise

alnilam

Hmmmmm tough choice i say turtle or windmill

Farecoal

There he go
I say turtle first

City of Glompton

let's meet the turtle

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
I like turtle

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

choices :ohdear:

I have a feeling old turtle might help us figure out what kinds of spells might be useful to learn from the snails

but I could be convinced otherwise

alnilam posted:

Hmmmmm tough choice i say turtle or windmill

Farecoal posted:

I say turtle first

City of Glompton posted:

let's meet the turtle

Hugh Malone posted:

I like turtle

Teddy sets out northeast to the Old Mill pond. After about a half hour following the river north the two set out east along the course of a bubbling stream, part of the watershed feeding into the great brackish river. The flora gradually changes to reeds and bushes and small trees as the waterway bends to the east, finally ending at its source, a beautiful and secluded pond whose edges are dotted with scattered stones and the remains of what was once a grist mill.

Teddy marvels at the old mill stone, long since discarded on the shore, now home to a sizable mulberry tree growing through it's center. Snail calls out for the turtle and hearing no response asks a nearby frog to go fetch her. After several minutes the water in the middle of the pond begins to part and a grizzled head rises to the surface, struggling at first to adjust it's eyes to the sunlight.

Old Turtle gazes at the two in silence before greeting Small Snail. She looks upon Teddy with suspicious eyes before asking why he has come to the pond, following up that another bear like Teddy had visited several days before, seeking direction to a lighthouse located far through the forrest on the eastern shores.

Karate Bastard

Tell turtle that we are worried for our friend the unicorn because she wasn't home when we visited, and our spider sense was tingling. Also tell turtle we have just woken up and can't remember things so well yet, and ask if the other teddy was nice, and see if we can remember anything about them?

I love how heartwarming and engaging this story is. It has children's tale aesthetics, but with a hint of abject horror lurking beneath the surface. It's like Gaspy Conana's Dropsy the Clown game in that way. Heartwarming and chilling at the same time, which makes me hope for the best for all the little characters in it all the time. It's like anything could happen next and it has me on edge in a way no silly horror movie ever could.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 8, 2018

alnilam

Karate Bastard posted:

Tell turtle that we are worried for our friend the unicorn because she wasn't home when we visited, and our spider sense was tingling. Also tell turtle we have just woken up and can't remember things so well yet, and ask if the other teddy was nice, and see if we can remember anything about them?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Karate Bastard posted:

Turtle seems to ruminate on Teddy's words for a few minutes before responding, saying that indeed the unicorn friend is in danger. Turtle explains that there are spirits wandering the world, lost and confused and both terrified and terrible, some seeking vengeance and some seeking redemption. She says she does not yet understand how Teddy came to be but does say that she's seen others like him, including Tomas, the other bear that came asking questions earlier. Old Turtle's expression slips into sadness and she tells Teddy that it seemed Tomas was scared for his life, running from something and seeking a way to escape across the great blue sea to some other land far away from here.

Teddy becomes lost in his memories, the tea parties, the unicorn always seated to his right, Tomas and his soft white furry belly always seated to his left. He remembered now, Tomas was a gift from the girl's father, brought back from a trip he'd taken to a far away land and meant to be another addition for her little group of stuffed friends. A sudden pang of worry enters Teddy's heart as he becomes aware of his surroundings again, snail cautiously looking down into his eyes from it's perch atop his head, asking if he's ok.

Old Turtle gives a weary smile to the bear and wishes him luck, hoping that Tomas has found safety somewhere and hoping that Teddy and the snail find the same. She asks if there is anything else before she returns below the surface of the pond.

Karate Bastard posted:

I love how heartwarming and engaging this story is. It has children's tale aesthetics, but with a hint of abject horror lurking beneath the surface. It's like Gaspy Conana's Dropsy the Clown game in that way. Heartwarming and chilling at the same time, which makes me hope for the best for all the little characters in it all the time. It's like anything could happen next and it has me on edge in a way no silly horror movie ever could.

I'm glad you see it that way bc that's pretty much what i was hoping the thread to be.

Manifisto

thank you, old turtle. can you give us any advice on how to deal with one of these terrible spirits if we happen to meet one?

ty nesamdoom!

sb hermit

Whisper to our snail friend if it is appropriate to ask Old Turtle for possible spells.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

thank you, old turtle. can you give us any advice on how to deal with one of these terrible spirits if we happen to meet one?

el dorito posted:

Whisper to our snail friend if it is appropriate to ask Old Turtle for possible spells.

Snail whispers to Teddy thats there's no harm in asking Old Turtle if she knows any spells. Teddy thanks the turtle and asks if there's any advice on dealing with a terrible spirit or any spells that may help him along the way. Old Turtle nods before disappearing below the water, surfacing several moments later with a shiny smooth stone in her mouth. She slowly swims towards the shore and drops the stone into Teddy's paw, explaining that it has two purposes.

First the stone may be used to cast a protective shell around the bear and any of his friends that will move with him, but the magic will only last for a few minutes. She explains that it is a temporary measure to aid in escape or deter further attacks. She says this may be used several times a day as long as Teddy believes in it's power. The second use is only for dire situations in which Teddy may throw or touch the stone to an adversary, in which case the enemy will be encased in an immovable shell, again allowing for either escape or temporary capture. This second use will destroy the stone irrevocably. Old Turtle laments that she knows no other magic herself, nor any way to defeat a spirit, but she says she will continue to try and learn if there is a way.

Before the turtle slips beneath the water she wishes the two luck and tells them they are welcome to return at any time. Once she is gone Teddy stands by the shore of the pond looking at the beautiful little stone in his paw, snail gazing down from its perch on his head.

Manifisto

nice, old turtle got us stoned :rznv:

should we head to the windmill? I think that's a more logical stop before seeking out the lighthouse, makes sense to get as much info as we can

sb hermit

Manifisto posted:

should we head to the windmill? I think that's a more logical stop before seeking out the lighthouse, makes sense to get as much info as we can

We have stalwart allies and magical weapons, I vote for Lighthouse.

Tomas is in trouble!

EDIT: Does our snail friend have a recommendation?

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 9, 2018

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Yes, if we have time i think we should go to the windmill and make more snail frens

Alternately we could make camp by the mill wheel under the mulberry and maybe something will happen overnight...? Halp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

el dorito posted:

We have stalwart allies and magical weapons, I vote for Lighthouse.

Tomas is in trouble!

EDIT: Does our snail friend have a recommendation?

Hugh Malone posted:

Yes, if we have time i think we should go to the windmill and make more snail frens

Alternately we could make camp by the mill wheel under the mulberry and maybe something will happen overnight...? Halp

Teddy is wracked with indecision, torn between going after Tomas and going to the windmill to see if he can learn more magic from the snails. He asks Small Snail which direction it thinks is best and after some time contemplating it finally replies, asking whether he thinks Tomas is capable of lasting a little longer alone so that Teddy can try to learn more about magic or if his bear friend needs his help immediately.

Teddy's confidence starts to falter and a sliver of guilt rises inside him but he makes his decision and heads south to the windmill, hoping beyond hope that he's made the best decision. From atop his head the snail whispers a prayer for Tomas and promises Teddy that it will do all he can for his friend when the time comes.

The two walk for nearly three hours before sighting the windmill in the distance, rising above the banks of the river. As they make their approach snail asks Teddy what kind of magic he hopes to learn.

• Locked thread