Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifisto

wow love that drawing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit

if I were a teddy bear, I would seek cuddle magic

but for this situation I would seek spells that would augment skills that our snail friend would already have. For the thread’s benefit, our friend already knows:

Luvcow posted:

• heal, cure or slow poison
  • entangle enemies
  • protect friends from evil
  • make friends stronger
  • create light
  • detect evil presences

We do not seem like the warrior type. Maybe prismatic spray, or make friends invisible?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
Unsure of what he seeks, Teddy tells the snail he doesn't know what kind of magic he seeks so the two make their way to the windmill in silence. Small Snail climbs down to the ground and asks the bear to wait as he enters the old structure. Time seems to stand still as Teddy waits, the little snail finally emerging after what seems like an eternity. It looks distraught, lost, and addresses Teddy, saying that it's not sure what happened, that all of it's friends have gone, leaving the windmill alone. Snail tells Teddy it senses there isn't much time left and looks to the bear for direction on where the two will head next.

oh poo poo i didn't see this when i was updating :(, thank you for posting el dorito, that would have absolutely changed this post

el dorito posted:

if I were a teddy bear, I would seek cuddle magic

but for this situation I would seek spells that would augment skills that our snail friend would already have. For the thread’s benefit, our friend already knows:

We do not seem like the warrior type. Maybe prismatic spray, or make friends invisible?

Luvcow fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 9, 2018

alnilam

Manifisto posted:

wow love that drawing

sb hermit

Does the snail detect any lingering evil?

I guess we should head to the lighthouse. If we make it close before sundown, then it might make sense to ask a blessing of Protect Friends From Evil.

Twenty Four

Just chiming in to say thread is good. I just saw it because with my schedule it's pretty common for me not to be able to catch up on SA for a few days at a time, so sorry if I didn't chime in right away.

I read it all though, love the art and also the feeling of a children's story but with some dread mixed in.

At this point I guess as long as the snail doesn't mind checking out the windmill while there would make sense, then head to the lighthouse?

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

el dorito posted:

Does the snail detect any lingering evil?

I guess we should head to the lighthouse. If we make it close before sundown, then it might make sense to ask a blessing of Protect Friends From Evil.

Twenty Four posted:

At this point I guess as long as the snail doesn't mind checking out the windmill while there would make sense, then head to the lighthouse?

Small Snail does one more sweep of the windmill, gathering what information it can about the other's departure and returns to Teddy after a few minutes time. The snail says it seems that the other snails dispersed in all directions after performing a mass divination ritual together, a residue of evil remaining in the center of the circle they'd made was most likely caused by them viewing the evil that took the unicorn. It seems the largest group headed northeast, into the forest, in pursuit of the evil. The snail is unsure of where the others went but thinks it may have been to warn others, seek aid or perhaps even just flee.

Teddy and the snail look at one another trying to decide which path to take. Head off NE into the forest towards the evil, travel NNE towards the lighthouse to hopefully find Tomas or simply just to flee in any other direction. Snail casts protection on Teddy and reminds him the effects will wear off when the sun sets.

Twenty Four posted:

I just saw it because with my schedule it's pretty common for me not to be able to catch up on SA for a few days at a time, so sorry if I didn't chime in right away.

I apologize for the thread's short time table. I had a few free days and massive writers block and wanted to throw the idea for this story out and see what people would do with it. Once Monday comes I'll be busy again and the thread will be done so it will undoubtedly go by unseen by most people, but that's what I think makes it nice, as a fleeting thing that you just had to be there to see or be a part of. Sometime today or tonight the thread will end. I'm glad you got to see it and be a part of it and of course thank you for the kind words :).

alnilam

IMO head NE first bc then NNE isn't that much farther north?

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

okay. maybe we can catch up with the other snails and join forces?

let us remember though the spirit is not necessarily (wholly) evil, maybe it just needs something

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

alnilam posted:

Manifisto posted:

okay. maybe we can catch up with the other snails and join forces?

let us remember though the spirit is not necessarily (wholly) evil, maybe it just needs something

Teddy sets out to north east into the forest and quickly finds traces of the snails, small glowing sigils on trees, precarious but beautiful stacks of tiny pebbles, arcane symbols etched into the forest floor in areas where the leaves have been cleared into near perfect circles. Small Snail explains that these are magical in nature and offer protection, blessings and warnings to those who would come upon them or try to follow.

After several hours the forest begins to grow darker despite it being several hours still before sunset. The snail says it can feel the evil somewhere up ahead, which quickly becomes evident even to Teddy, his fur starting to stand on end. A low eerie humming becomes audible as the two make their way through the trees, then in the distance a bright light. The sounds of wind chimes soothes Teddy's heart, the peacefulness suddenly interrupted by a thunderous crackling sound, like lightning, which fades back into the humming, now accompanied by a rhythmic clacking.

Small Snail whispers to Teddy that the snails are working together to cast a powerful spell and cautions that perhaps Teddy does not want to see what the outcome will be. The two stand in silence for a moment as the snail lets Teddy decide.

Luvcow fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 9, 2018

Twenty Four

Luvcow posted:

I apologize for the thread's short time table. I had a few free days and massive writers block and wanted to throw the idea for this story out and see what people would do with it. Once Monday comes I'll be busy again and the thread will be done so it will undoubtedly go by unseen by most people, but that's what I think makes it nice, as a fleeting thing that you just had to be there to see or be a part of. Sometime today or tonight the thread will end. I'm glad you got to see it and be a part of it and of course thank you for the kind words :).

Friend you do not even need to apologize, I just wanted to make sure you know that I love your work, but can't be there every day, but that doesn't mean I don't care! :)

Twenty Four

And with that said, on the short time table, it would be wonderful to have Teddy chase after Tomas and his Unicorn friend, but I think he should walk into the light with his new snail friends, and perhaps see his old flesh and stuffed friends once again.

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

Twenty Four posted:

And with that said, on the short time table, it would be wonderful to have Teddy chase after Tomas and his Unicorn friend, but I think he should walk into the light with his new snail friends, and perhaps see his old flesh and stuffed friends once again.

This would be a good time for Teddy to use the magic stone for protection.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Barking Gecko posted:

Manifisto

Twenty Four posted:

Barking Gecko posted:

also the forest drawing is outstanding

if I'm repeating myself, so be it! the artwork is great.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Twenty Four posted:

Barking Gecko posted:

Splatmaster posted:

Barking Gecko posted:

Teddy grips the smooth stone and remembers Old Turtle's words to believe in it's power of protection. He steps forward into the light, Small Snail hunkering down from it's position atop his head. There comes a terrifying scream, the girl crying out, and Teddy breaks into a sprint to reach her. Before he can do so the light explodes into a blinding flash and for a moment he thinks he can see the faint image of the girl gripping the unicorn tightly and looking serenely into Teddy's eyes. She smiles and as she fades away, her last words reach the little bear's ears, "I love you Teddy."

The light fades to reveal a small clearing in the woods, a single daisy growing from the center of the lush grass and moss. All around the songbirds begin to sing and the joyous chorus of the snails cheering echo through the trees. Daisy... more memories come flooding back into Teddy's mind. Daisy was her name. Small Snail whispers down to Teddy, assuring him the girl is in a better place now, and the unicorn too. It tells Teddy they did everything they could.

Teddy sits down in the grass, tears filling his eyes, the snail crawling down from his head to nuzzle into his shoulder to give him comfort.

Manifisto posted:

also the forest drawing is outstanding

if I'm repeating myself, so be it! the artwork is great.

thanks you Manifisto :)

City of Glompton

:cry: :love:

alnilam

sb hermit

Manifisto

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
The Last Post

Teddy gradually collects himself, coming to terms with all that has happened, he gently kisses the flower before rising to his feet. The snails promise to protect this now sacred place, the little clearing in the woods and the beautiful daisy that grows there. Teddy says his goodbyes and promises to return soon, Small Snail saying it would like to continue traveling with the bear. The two head north east through the forrest, leaving behind the gathering of small creatures that now sing and dance at their victory.

It's well after sunset when they finally arrive on the eastern shores, a warm light glowing from the windows of the lighthouse which stands tall against the full moon. Teddy takes a deep breathe before knocking on the door, familiar voices and a fragrant smell wafting from within. Someone calls for him to enter and Teddy cautiously pushes the door in, clutching Walter the walking stick and the smooth stone just in case.

Inside he sees a little table set up for tea, Tomas sits at the far end and next to him another old stuffed animal friend, Sammie the Seal. Teddy's heart fills up with joy as the two greet him and beckon him to take a seat. As Teddy introduces the snail Tomas pours him a cup of hot tea, explaining that he gathered some leaves from the forest and honey from a hive not far away. The little animals are near tears, catching up on all that has happened. Tomas explaining that once he found the lighthouse, he also found Sammie, and that along the way he found the stuffed owl as well, now out scouting the area to find an adequate supper for them all.
Their tea party lasts long into the night as they lament the loss of the girl and the unicorn and all those they'd come to know in their previous life and the strange last few days. Somewhere in the distance the sound of wind chimes carries through the air and reminds the friends of the olden days.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
Thank you to everyone who participated or just read along and the kind words people added to help me finish the story.

FluffieDuckie

:love:

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

alnilam

mods pls goldmine

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Thanks, Luvcow. My eyes are moist with respect.

alnilam posted:

mods pls goldmine

lol

Robot Made of Meat

Hugh Malone posted:

Thanks, Luvcow. My eyes are moist with respect.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

alnilam posted:

mods pls goldmine

:)

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

thanks luvcow for making the thread and seeing it through to a conclusion--a really powerful and touching conclusion at that. imo stuff like this really makes byob what it is at its best.

ty nesamdoom!

• Locked thread