Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
You head up an expansion team that starts with the 2018-2019 roster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
So it won’t update once the season and starts. I’m ocd on my franchises down to if like Gerald green is traded to Milwaukee I start the whole thing over so it matches 😩

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
They made trae mini steph lmao

E: just do a 30 team control myleague

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

the_american_dream posted:

So it won’t update once the season and starts. I’m ocd on my franchises down to if like Gerald green is traded to Milwaukee I start the whole thing over so it matches 😩

I thought they usually did update rosters to the first game of the year in the past (so they'll update when Deng goes to the Wolves). Last year they definitely had Kyrie on Boston and that happened August 30th so I assume they had a roster update.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Iirc this year you start in the offseason.

They avoid all of the updated rosters as they use their end of 2017/18 roster

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
To be clear this is only for the story mode MyGM, pretty sure you can choose to start in the off season or “now” with current rosters in non-story GM/MyLeague

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Thanks for the answers everyone :hf:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I keep forgetting that 2k changes the controls every year. Now dedicated post-up button is back, and it seems like 2k14 era where post up->up and under is king again.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

They've changed the up and under and I can't figure out how to do it anymore

I made a shot creating post scoring point guard and it loving owns

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Anyone get this or last year’s version on Switch?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

morestuff posted:

I bought last year's on Switch.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

jabro posted:

I bought last year's on Switch.

Mostly play OK?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

AggressivelyStupid posted:

They've changed the up and under and I can't figure out how to do it anymore

I made a shot creating post scoring point guard and it loving owns

fake a post fadeaway with square/x or the right stick, and before the animation finishes move the right stick in a different direction (usually left or right gives you the best direction changes). You might be able to also fake a third time without getting called for travelling this year which is new and exciting.

Also check out some of the new post moves like the jabstep out shot or whatever it's called. Pretty cool for smaller post players.

the post hook is once again Good & Cool this year, as well.

Pro-Am is a hilarious nightmare of turnovers as it's very easy to camp passing lanes and steal the ball constantly. The only problem is that everyone can do this and makes defenders less potent. That might change once everyone gets badges for defenders to negate. While it's good that it's easier to steal the ball from dribble move spamming jerks, playmakers aren't able to hold on to the ball even when they try to play and pass responsibility, making them the big losers so far this year. Shot creators are incredibly popular as they got a bunch of buffs while sharps were nerfed some, which isn't bad but everyone made a shot creator.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 12, 2018

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

morestuff posted:

Mostly play OK?

Yeah. The biggest complaint I had was the graphics but they weren't that bad. This year's is supposed to be crisper and smoother. I kinda wish I bought this year's instead of PS4 mainly for handheld.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

morestuff posted:

I literally just bought it a month ago with this same question and I really didn’t notice a difference honestly.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

lol (not my tv, haven't bought 2k since 17)

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

morestuff posted:

I bought last year’s and this year’s on Switch. I bought it for both PS4 and Switch last year and liked the Switch version so much that I opted for Switch only this year. Performance actually seems to be better in handheld mode compared to docked. Face scan actually working in MyCareer on Switch this year is pretty cool considering most reports said that it was going to be unsupported again. And I’m actually seeing people play in the Park this year, when last year was mostly dead (it’s still nowhere close to as active of a community as PS4, though).

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

If you are having trouble with the controls in 2k19, make sure your prostick is set to either absolute/camera relative. The default in years past was camera relative, but they made it default to absolute which is pretty different.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

ihatepants posted:

I bought last year’s and this year’s on Switch. I bought it for both PS4 and Switch last year and liked the Switch version so much that I opted for Switch only this year. Performance actually seems to be better in handheld mode compared to docked. Face scan actually working in MyCareer on Switch this year is pretty cool considering most reports said that it was going to be unsupported again. And I’m actually seeing people play in the Park this year, when last year was mostly dead (it’s still nowhere close to as active of a community as PS4, though).

Good to hear. I mostly just hosed around in MyGM/Franchise mode, so sounds like it'll play well enough for me

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Killing time on the train to work by watching my dude open doors.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Man, I don't know why we keep putting up with 2k's bullshit every year. They nerfed XP towards the next level and XP towards badges (only when playing NBA games) to 60-70% within the past couple of hours. I thought that I might actually get my character to the mid 90s or so this year, but once again that's not going to be possible unless I treat this game like it's my second job.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I really hate that you have to win online to fully unlock MyTeam

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Speaking of MyTeam, it looks like 2k hosed with that as well. From reddit:

quote:

I think lot of people missed that MyTeam was nerfed as well. On board 7 of Triple Threat they changed the rewards drastically.
First they completely removed the packs you could get, just completely gone. Second they lowered the amount of tokens you get from 5 to 3 and lastly they decreased the MT you get from 1000 to 200.
On top of that they increased the price of PD rewards by 50%.

It looks like 2k kind of pulled a bait and switch on us. Getting positive reviews and feedback from fans and critics (gotta get that metacritic score up) for a couple of days then went back to the usual bullshit they’re known for.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

This is my shocked face.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
https://kotaku.com/nba-2k19-is-a-nightmarish-vision-of-our-microtransactio-1828954456

Yikes. Disgusting.

Yeah, most likely going back to NBA Live. It will be cheaper when it eventually goes on sale, won't bend me over the table when it comes to microtransactions, and the feel of the game is more than good enough for me. I've always liked Live anyway and will chock up 2K17 as a flash in the pan as far as being fun (plus, there was no Live that year anyway).

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Katana_Warrior posted:

Gonna be playing Live all night tonight and wait a few weeks for the honest opinions to start coming out for 2k19.

drat, how'd my galaxy brain predict what was gonna happen

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
2k18 was some of the most fun I've had in a game before but gently caress me. I just don't know it I have it in me to do this again.

But all my bball dudes I met on PSN have INSTANTLY swapped over to 2k19 already and this gaming nights are some of the best nights.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

verbal enema posted:

2k18 was some of the most fun I've had in a game before but gently caress me. I just don't know it I have it in me to do this again.

But all my bball dudes I met on PSN have INSTANTLY swapped over to 2k19 already and this gaming nights are some of the best nights.

2k is way more fun if you just get the new one every 3ish years. Unless you want to do all the online/community stuff.

Also it lets you skip really horrible versions, like 2k18.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

2k19 gameplay is pretty solid, the floor spacing feels good and the ball doesn't ever really warp around as it has in the past. Elite cpu players are insane, you can really tell the difference between skill sets.

If 2k didn't have such anemic VC amounts I would recommend the switch 100%, but if you're happy on an older version no need to buy in so early

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

2K is pretty much the only game I buy full price because I need basketball methadone

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Is there any reason why, if you do a 2018 redraft, it has a bunch of made-up players thrown into it

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So after a couple days with the game, I would say it feels too....overtuned for physics? Elite ball handlers can't separate from bad defenders, pick and rolls are hard to do because said ball separation is impossible when they ice the pick.

Everyone has turnovers because the slightest time the ball hits a player, it goes flying off the court. I'm able to, as a base nothing, steal outright from elite ball handlers because the physics of the game heavily decreases everyone's handle.

I dunno if this is just an engine thing or it's the usual official roster being poo poo.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
I havent been facepalming as often as I did in the mycareer cutscenes since May Payne 3.
The nonstop whining and complaining of the protagonist is perma-cringe, the dialogues are stupid and the third part of the Prelude after you leave China and start for The Ants and begin the Fort Wayne Part, you have to sit through a loving 25 MINUTE CUTSCENE PLUS (!) A loving 10 minute "oldschool" NBA2K Arcade Match against C. Harris.
The writers thought this 35 minutes part would be what, lead to more immersion? And of course you cant even pause or save in all these ~ 35 minutes.
And holy poo poo the dialoge scene with Marcus Young and the "challenge" of the next game, lmao :dogbutton:

I have been playing video games since the 8 Bit era in the early 80's and there are often moments to rage because of bad game mechanics, bad scripting and bad writing and forcing the player to just suffer for the "experience" the designers thought would be nice.
While I admit I was looking forward to the "improved mycareer story" I must vent here and tell you that the first hour of mycareer in NBA2K19 was one of the worst and annoying experiences in every way I had in 35 years of computer gaming. Maybe 14 year olds find the writing funny and enjoy the protagonists pseudo realistic frustration and idiot dialogues. I did not. :bang:

I will continue with that suffering and hope this gets better, because it can't get worse from here on.

Thanks for reading, you get rewarded with 250 VC.

Edit: If you thought the NBA2K16 Spike Lee and "Frequent Vibrations" was bad, lol, that was stellar writing compared to this.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 16, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I just play offline mycareer

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

I played up until the weird oldschool game thing. I deleted my character, and started a new myCareer and it let me skip all the way until the nba. So far its been better because i can just play game to game to game with out any of the stupid neighborhood poo poo.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Tae posted:

I just play offline mycareer

You start in the NBA there from the beginning and skip all the Prelude and cutscenes, right?
What else would you be missing?

By the way, I liked the online Blacktop Streetball Stuff from 15 and 16 with your myplayer, I can’t find it in 19, only matches against CPU where I chose all players for each team?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mr.PayDay posted:

You start in the NBA there from the beginning and skip all the Prelude and cutscenes, right?
What else would you be missing?

By the way, I liked the online Blacktop Streetball Stuff from 15 and 16 with your myplayer, I can’t find it in 19, only matches against CPU where I chose all players for each team?

Same as last year, you just instantly choose what team to play and get into your first game in like a minute.

And since it's offline, all the extra cutscene bullshit between games like interviews and long loading times talking to temamates is cut off.

Side-note, I figured out how to break the game. The CPU "reads" your input when you call a pick N roll, but if you reverse the side of the pick, the defender dies super hard.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Tae posted:

Same as last year, you just instantly choose what team to play and get into your first game in like a minute.

Please allow me to rephrase, I skipped the last two iterations of 17 and 18 and don’t get it:
19 has a mypark game mode where I play with my „myplayer“ from the career mode?
I get there, how? By using the online Blacktop Mode 3vs3 for example?
ELI5 please to a 42yr old fart lol :thunk:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Mr.PayDay posted:

Please allow me to rephrase, I skipped the last two iterations of 17 and 18 and don’t get it:
19 has a mypark game mode where I play with my „myplayer“ from the career mode?
I get there, how? By using the online Blacktop Mode 3vs3 for example?
ELI5 please to a 42yr old fart lol :thunk:

via your online mycareer guy once you get to the real game, ie, once you get to the nba.

also i know you like to drop mad stacks on stupid poo poo but please dont give this company like 400$ for vc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

hopterque posted:

via your online mycareer guy once you get to the real game, ie, once you get to the nba.

also i know you like to drop mad stacks on stupid poo poo but please dont give this company like 400$ for vc.

Thanks for the solution, just gotta play mycareer to finish the Prelude then.

And no, I even quit funding Hearthstone and FIFA FUT cashgrabs after several years of moneyburning. Even with lots of disposable income it’s tedious and a hosed up business model. (That won’t stop with a crazy whale less tho).
NBA2K myteam is FUT for Basketball I assume?