Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Metapod posted:

2k is too scared to implement realistic ratings because it would hurt players feelings

Ronnie 2k wouldn't be able to hang out with the cool kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Metapod posted:

2k is too scared to implement realistic ratings because it would hurt players feelings

When they last did it in 2k8 or whenever it made the game so much better, but you are probably right.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dexo posted:

Ronnie 2k wouldn't be able to hang out with the cool kids.

Make me ronnie 2k I'll tell all the players they poo poo while having cam Payne oddly over powered

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, that really plays poorly on the switch, probably a waste of $30. Oh well, I'll use it for the GM game next summer.

Limbertimbre
Sep 7, 2007
Oscillator Modulator
PSN: Limbertimbre

I am looking for some people to play rec center with. I play the 5 or 4.

As someone who just switched from PC to Ps4, I would not recommend the PC port. Hacking and an increasingly smaller and angrier player-base kinda tanked it.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

So I’ve been playing an absurd amount of 2K lately, and could really use some help mastering builds and dribbling gameplay (it’s the first time in a decade since I’ve played a b-ball video game) . I’ve been watching a lot of vids by this douche Jacked Bill, but his builds are moderately off.

As for gameplay, I’ve really struggled learning the mechanics and can’t even replicate moves I can do irl.

Any recommendations on build / gameplay guides?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Welp after deciding to avoid 2k this year due to the VC poo poo and planning to give Live another year to cook I guess 10 bucks for Live was too tempting to avoid. I assume since I haven't seen people burning their copies in rage I can get 10 bucks worth of fun out of NBA 2k Jr?

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61

John Brown posted:

So I’ve been playing an absurd amount of 2K lately, and could really use some help mastering builds and dribbling gameplay (it’s the first time in a decade since I’ve played a b-ball video game) . I’ve been watching a lot of vids by this douche Jacked Bill, but his builds are moderately off.

As for gameplay, I’ve really struggled learning the mechanics and can’t even replicate moves I can do irl.

Any recommendations on build / gameplay guides?

Are you playing Rec Center or Park? Park is anything goes because you only need the right jump shot to green 3s

Those build guides probably went over needing 86 ball control to boost. I hate having this boost in the game but it's broken-good for my shot creator pg.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

sexpig by night posted:

Welp after deciding to avoid 2k this year due to the VC poo poo and planning to give Live another year to cook I guess 10 bucks for Live was too tempting to avoid. I assume since I haven't seen people burning their copies in rage I can get 10 bucks worth of fun out of NBA 2k Jr?

I have Live 18 through EA Access but the $10 for '19 was also too tempting. Game is pretty good. Gameplay feels good, career mode isn't grindy as gently caress, but prepare for low ovr players to really play like ovr players. You just get straight up hosed in the beginning and gotta slog through the first handful of games to get to a point where things can start happening. That being said, it still feels a lot more rewarding than the last 2K game I played, but I also am not really a hardcore basketball game player.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Anyone else still playing 2K19? I’m addicted. Recently got my pure post big man to 92 but also just created a two way athletic finishing PF that I’m playing like a god with.

I play on Xbox and am always looking people to run 3s and rec with. I have a pure sharpshooting SG as well so bring any build you want.

Gamer tag: Biodome

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Is there no all star team up in 2k19?

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Hello, basketball videogame players. I somehow have a subscription to Twitch Prime and they gave me a code for some NBA 2k19 virtual currency. Should work on any system. I'll PM it to the first interested party to quote this post.

-e- gone!

barren_sky fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 15, 2019

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

barren_sky posted:

Hello, basketball videogame players. I somehow have a subscription to Twitch Prime and they gave me a code for some NBA 2k19 virtual currency. Should work on any system. I'll PM it to the first interested party to quote this post.

Hey!

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
2K19 has a free weekend on Xbox Live and there's a bundle sale for 2K19 and Playgrounds 2 for $26. I'm trying to decide if this is a terrible idea or not. At first I was going to drop $15 on Playgrounds 2, but I can fork over the extra $11 if MyTeam isn't total garbage.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

barren_sky posted:

Same here, if anyone wants it, I'll send it to whoever quotes this.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Boredumb posted:

Same here, if anyone wants it, I'll send it to whoever quotes this.

hello

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

swims posted:

Is there no all star team up in 2k19?

Just brought it and I don't see it anywhere. My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined. It was the perfect get on, chill, and play some ball mode.

EDIT:There is a mode to just pick from a limited player pool and play online. The enemy team chooses from the same set sso it possible to get mirrors matches. It has actual ranking and poo poo now which idk if I like yet. It might as well be all star mode I guess.

RBX fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 17, 2019

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Play Now Online - Player Control i believe
Also, if you invite a friend to your locker room(I forget what it’s actually called) you can start an all star team up. But yeah, the feature isn’t as good as last year imo.

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 22, 2019

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
NBA Live 19 All-Star edition is currently $3.99 on PS4

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

zelah posted:

NBA Live 19 All-Star edition is currently $3.99 on PS4

I paid $60

I'm a dumbass

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Stevie Lee posted:

I paid $60

I'm a dumbass

Never pay full price for Ubisoft or EA games, especially sports games.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

poo poo has finally clicked into place and I am now able to enjoy Play Now Online. Once I figured out I was getting beat because I was trusting my AI defenders too much it became way easier and more fun.

Basically, you have to control every player all the time and just play your opponent, rather than do anything actually basketball. Keep those player icons on the screen at all times on D. You can bring (or not bring) help or cheat on a rotation for the obvious pass out of a shot and things like that. For example, if someone starts a drive, selecting a paint defender and just kind of getting in the way will almost always cause a panic pass to a corner even if they could have completed their drive with a bucket/foul.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is there any way to turn off intentional fouls by the AI?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
lol how in the gently caress do game developers make a game where the AI passes you the ball with 1.5 seconds left on the shot clock, you are forced to take some dump rear end contested jumper, and then it docks eight loving points from your game performance for "bad shot" even though it would subtract the same amount for taking the clock violation????

like I would enjoy avoiding the situation entirely if the loving AI on every difficulty would stop giving me the ball with no time left lol

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

lol how in the gently caress do game developers make a game where the AI passes you the ball with 1.5 seconds left on the shot clock, you are forced to take some dump rear end contested jumper, and then it docks eight loving points from your game performance for "bad shot" even though it would subtract the same amount for taking the clock violation????

like I would enjoy avoiding the situation entirely if the loving AI on every difficulty would stop giving me the ball with no time left lol

I haven’t played in a while, but IIRC you can get around that penalty in an equally dumb way - by passing the ball back to them (or anyone else open) instead of taking a shot.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

ihatepants posted:

I haven’t played in a while, but IIRC you can get around that penalty in an equally dumb way - by passing the ball back to them (or anyone else open) instead of taking a shot.

This is also a very good way to farm assists.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I just got this for $3 and spent like a few hours loving around with GM mode and going through the off-season and draft and whatnot and when I play actual games the AI gives up like constant fast break passes under the basket for easy dunks. Like half the points against me in two games are just dudes running down the court for an uncontested pass in the lane and putting it in.

Am I like missing a setting or something somewhere or does the AI in this actually suck poo poo? I played 2k a few years ago and had fun but I sort just want to give up and uninstall

e: I forgot about the focus on MyPlayer stuff I'll try that instead

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 10, 2019

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

you (your dumbass coach) might have the coaching settings set to go for offensive rebounds, which can hurt you like that

there's a setting for preventing the fast break and one that's balanced as well

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
This game is currently $3

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Strongly considering double dipping on switch. Did anyone start creating future draft classes to download on it?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Anyone on Switch have problems download the updates when you first start the game? I've been trying for two days and it always stalls around 40%. I've deleted nearly every other game I have on there and am sure I have enough space.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

I have Live 18 through EA Access but the $10 for '19 was also too tempting. Game is pretty good. Gameplay feels good, career mode isn't grindy as gently caress, but prepare for low ovr players to really play like ovr players. You just get straight up hosed in the beginning and gotta slog through the first handful of games to get to a point where things can start happening. That being said, it still feels a lot more rewarding than the last 2K game I played, but I also am not really a hardcore basketball game player.

I played the career mode on 2k19 for a minute but I was really confused. it was loving boring, my dude only played like two minutes interspersed with painfully long loading screens and horrible "halftime" bullshit and all this other wasteful nonsense. I also couldn't figure out how to practice with my career guy so I couln'td get the jump shot down. Overall it was almost a shockingly awful experience and the thought of grinding that player up in that kind of environment... well to say it lightly it doesn't seem fun.

Can someone explain how that works to me? Is there some element of that system I'm missing? Now I'm just playing as random teams against other random teams and trying to win and do cool basketball poo poo. It's way more fun because the players are all different, ahve their strengths and weaknesses and you can control all of them. I'm trying to play a video game not watch my created character sit on a sideline and be bored when he eventually gets in for two minutes of gameplay in a game that takes like 15 minutes to fully get through

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

the career is intentionally a grind, but to practice you go to the gym in the hub

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Don't play my career.

Play my league and if you really want to only play as one player create a dude put him on a team or in the draft class and player lock.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

it's annoying because the mycareer story is probably the best it's been this year but it takes so, so long to get up and you have little to no control over your team

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

AggressivelyStupid posted:

it's annoying because the mycareer story is probably the best it's been this year but it takes so, so long to get up and you have little to no control over your team

The only way to have more control of your team is to activate LeBron mode.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

got some chores tonight posted:

the 2k19 story is really poo poo

the growth ai shows is burning down a motel, getting kicked off his dleague team, accusing his girlfriend of sabotaging him, getting dumped, and begging her not to dump him after essentially saying she ruined his life. then he meets his rival/teammate that hes 100% sure ruined his life and tried to big-man him but it turns out ai is actually completely wrong about what hes accusing his rival about doing. after this backfires on him and hes literally about to quit basketball, his friend randomly decides to give him a shot for his nba call up in a playoff decider game. your guy is objectively not an NBA player both in story (hes apparently a pretty mediocre dleague player off screen) and in game (overall ~70 vs your rivals 89).

its literally every other story where a complete rando makes the league except we're supposed to think this is a hard earned chance despite the fact your guy just fails upwards at every opportunity and gets mad at everyone for not treating him like the protagonist of a video game

the bit in china is the coolest bit except the only thing ai seemingly learned is that china sucks and dunking owns and his summary of his dleague experience is that passing is good

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

in conclusion, frequency vibration for life

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

The day you (Frequency Vibrations) become an NBA player, your friend named Bo$$ Key Yacht dies from drunk driving and the game ends with a ten minute ghost monologue. Shakespeare himself couldn't write a better NBA video game script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Well they hired the guy who did the MyGM story full time so maybe he’ll work on next year’s career mode