Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The limited action bar with assignable points thing wildstar did was hands down the best piece of customization I've ever seen in an mmo, and I genuinely think it inspired the new talent system in wow, because it showed that a few interesting situational choices is a million times better than 50 things to look up on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

30.5 Days posted:

The limited action bar with assignable points thing wildstar did was hands down the best piece of customization I've ever seen in an mmo, and I genuinely think it inspired the new talent system in wow, because it showed that a few interesting situational choices is a million times better than 50 things to look up on the internet.

Guild Wars 1 did this a decade before wildstar and more successfully

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

Honestly, and to avoid giving wildstar any credit at all for anything, the new wow talents were more likely inspired by Diablo 3's skills/runes, just like how vanilla wow's talents were inspired by D2's skill trees.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Wish someone would take Anarchy Onlines mission system and refine it. And make a modern cool sci fi MMO.

Or just anybody but funcom remake Anarchy Online.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I wish more games were fun rather than microtransaction grind simulators.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

wdarkk posted:

I kind of wish I'd gotten to see that. Are there any good videos that explain what made it so great?

It was mostly that the powerset of a pet class was, for once, actually focused around having and using lots of pets. Once summoned, lackeys stay until killed and you got more and more impressive-looking lackeys as you gained levels, eventually topping out at 6, which means every Mastermind was always accompanied by a small army everywhere they went. You also got to pick the type of your army: ninjas, robots, mercenaries, thugs, zombies, etc, as well as your main chaarcter's secondary powers. For a game about customization and the hero experience, that's huge.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I can live with City of Heroes having gone the way of the dodo, but it's a travesty that there isn't more MMOs that copy the sidekick/mentor system. Like, loving poo poo man, just let people play with their friends. If it's a MMO with itemization, just give them stat boosts that put them at slightly below the output of a character around that level and job's a good one.
It's baffling that the 2004 game had it all figured out, but people still haven't wizened up to it.

wdarkk posted:

I kind of wish I'd gotten to see that. Are there any good videos that explain what made it so great?

You got to choose your pet type as a primary skill. Most of them were fairly similar in that they had some minor and relatively unimportant attacks in addition to your pet abilities. You mostly just picked up some of these attacks to fill out your bars early on, but it never really was a focus.

The first tier pet ability you got was your basic attack minion type and you'd get three of them.
The second tier ability gave you two elites in addition to your basic goons. They'd deal more damage and have additional benefits like buffs or debuffs, crowd control, area of effect abilities, et cetera.
The third tier essentially gave you one boss type that rounded out your kit. The Thug kit for example had a big bruiser that was all about close combat, rounding out your kit of ranged attackers. The Soldier kit had a short ranged Commando doing all kinds of special forces bullshit. I think the Robots kit had a big Warmech or something.

You could also name each of your minions.

And in addition to that you could either go all in on support skills or just round out the kit by choosing some crowd control. There was even a neutral set of skills called Leadership that you can pick up in addition to your primary and secondary set that was all about having group buff auras. I remember having a good time playing a Thug/Poisons(Healing, Buffs and Debuffs)/Leadership Auras(Team Buffs)/First Aid character where I was basically just playing as the healer to my minions.

It just kind of worked and your pets were pretty useful, decently tough and able to keep up in group content as well. When they actually did die to a big boss attack or something, it wasn't a big deal to summon the whole group again, outside of your boss mob that had a fairly long cooldown. And since your character itself was focused more towards supporting their team, you weren't necessarily dead weight to other players even if you get all your goons killed on the regular.

It actually went all in on the pet class being dedicated to multiple pets that deal most of your damage, rather than the more commonly seen design in MMOs where there is a singular pet that assists the player. The player assisted the minions.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
The wide variety of minion archetypes and the secondary power options all coming from the crowdcontrol job just all meshed well to really make you feel like a Mastermind. The goons did all the dirty work, you manipulated the environment/enemies so your ninjas could beat rear end.

I also really liked how varied the healer power trees were, you had a classic All Heals in Empathy, heals with a lot of buffs with Radiation or Kinetic, and my personal favourite healer, Force Field which had no direct heals at all and just threw out a ton of massive damage reduction bubbles.

Instanced group content was great because while you had The Holy Trinity, you could clear content in pretty much any combination of tanks, dps and healers.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
The most powerful skill the mastermind had was that you could give each minion individual commands to do emotes or say dialogue. So you could set up dance parties with just yourself. The true nerd villain's dream

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
as the length of any MMO thread stretches towards infinity, the likelihood that it will become a thread about CoH approaches 100%

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
You could micromanage the hell out of your minions, too.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

CoV mastermind was legit good, but I prefer the hero customization of CO over CoH. I also appreciate that I was able to make a kenshiro-like character who had a shin-like nemesis, and that I had to track him down after he broke out of jail and caught him in the middle of making a big bomb, where we had a karate fight I almost lost.

I just wish CO didn't look like rear end overall.

This right here is probably the worst part of CO, everything looks absolutely terrible and plasticy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

people said coh was just the character creator but the combat felt the best of any mmo i played and i played a bunch.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Games where you can win fights with knock-up and knock-back are the best games and CoX was no exception. :colbert:

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Deki posted:

Was there really any lore worth talking about in City of Heroes? It was basically store-brand generic DC.

Chomposaur posted:

I think it worked well as a generic canvas for you to create a superhero on. It's nice that it didn't come with the baggage of a license like DC or Marvel.
This is pretty much why I (and likely a lot of people) ate CoH up, and probably why when Marvel tried to sue it out of commission on the argument "people could use this amazing character maker to rip off our characters!" they had to do the ripping off themselves. They also weren't afraid to make things overpowered (and were bad at balance in general) so the powers owned. By contrast, CO's costuming and aesthetic is firmly silver age, their PR disasters were self-inflicted, and the devs really hyped their build-what-you-want system but if they caught wind of a really effective combo kiss it goodbye.

Anyways I logged into Wildstar for old times' sake and logged out when I started getting eye strain (immediately). I guess theme park admission is ~$60 so that for four weeks in a theme park MMO wasn't too bad.

(Also gotta nth that CoH masterminds owned for everything they could be, also they refused to make female minions because the devs knew what kind of creepshows were out there and would have none of it.)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mastermind was the actual best pet classes have ever gotten in an MMO and it makes me very sad nothing's ever been as entertaining.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Chomposaur posted:

The fun in CoH was making wildly varying builds that could actually be successful. Not just like using guns instead of blowing fire or having a different DPS rotation or whateva, like I made an insect dude centered around storm powers, so I built him for the maximum possible in-combat flight capability and every knockback and slow that I could pack in. I'd round up all the mooks in a mission and just slam them into a wall while my buddies wailed on them. Then I teamed up with other characters centered around the concept of knockbacks and ranged attacks so we ended up with a ridiculous chaos storm of enemies getting tossed around and blown up.

I would not particularly have enjoyed the game if it was filled with super structured encounters that forced me to build towards specific targets. It's one reason I never really engaged with the (pretty anemic?) endgame, which seemed to require more structured builds and min-maxing dps/survivability/etc.

I don't remember anything about Champions Online, I played it for like a day at launch and then forgot it existed. I'll give it a shot and see if it scratches that itch.

Champions was fine at launch but it aged poorly and was gutted by F2P.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Zwiebel posted:

I can live with City of Heroes having gone the way of the dodo, but it's a travesty that there isn't more MMOs that copy the sidekick/mentor system. Like, loving poo poo man, just let people play with their friends. If it's a MMO with itemization, just give them stat boosts that put them at slightly below the output of a character around that level and job's a good one.
It's baffling that the 2004 game had it all figured out, but people still haven't wizened up to it.

FF14 at least went with the "you sync down to a new friend's dungeon to avoid robbing them of EXP and keep it engaging", but they've always been gunshy about doing the reverse for a number of reasons (not the least of which is their much-valued narrative design).

Yardbomb posted:

Mastermind was the actual best pet classes have ever gotten in an MMO and it makes me very sad nothing's ever been as entertaining.

I miss Mastermind so much.

I miss CoH so much. :smith: even though by now we'd definitely be looking at it actually dying.

lol if you posted:

as the length of any MMO thread stretches towards infinity, the likelihood that it will become a thread about CoH approaches 100%

It still burns, man. :smith:

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

SpaceDrake posted:

It still burns, man. :smith:

my build was hulk body, size slider set to minimum, all "skinless" texture, and a fire/ss tank powerset

tack on the name 'Meatwad' and yeah, it was my favorite mmo too

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So this dies in two days.

They did a lore dump for what had been planned. They very clearly expected an expansion, as players eventually beat the villain in a raid, and that is followed up with a message about the Ancient Alien Race returning.

Oh, and I gleaned at least three more raids they had planned? Also, implied grinds to unlock them, lol.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I like how reading about WoWs release indicated that they didn't plan on it being nearly as successful as it was, while Wildstar was assumed to be successful and it very much was not

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I dont think anyone could have anticipated just how popular WoW was though. At the time of its launch EQ was considered a massive success when it hit 500,000 subscribers. WoW completely redefined what it meant for an MMO to be successful.

Also has anyone checked in on /r/Wildstar? Is there anyone even left to be put on suicide watch?

DapperDraculaDeer fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 26, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rest in pieces bad game. You won't even get a large login of players at the time of death.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Safe travels, Cyster. I hope that your game will follow in the footsteps of MXO and do really weird poo poo to the remaining few players who stick around for the final minutes

quote:

ramping up enemy difficulty and spawn rates, dropping unique baddies to lay waste among the time wasters (angels, demons, and high level agents), and the typical addition of gaping human eyes crying blood on the horizon.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

CoffeeBooze posted:

Also has anyone checked in on /r/Wildstar? Is there anyone even left to be put on suicide watch?

This guy :v:

quote:

Wildstar Tabletop RPG

In honor of Wildstars finale, I have decided to fuse it with my other passion. Dungeons and Dragons. I am going to work on making it into it's own game so that I can always have a piece of it with me. What kind of things do you think is important to include to capture the spirit of Nexus and Wildstar?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
https://forums.wildstar-online.com/topic/157552-news-the-wildstar-in-game-send-off-event/

the game end event is a gigantic 2 hour event on wednesday

can't wait!!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Wildstar files if needed (self.WildStar)

submitted 14 hours ago by Orchas

if anyone will be making a wildstar reborn or rewritten know i have the files forever stored in my computer and an external hard drive

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Bummer it turned out to be so bad. I really want a solid sci-fi MMO since it all tends to be Tolkien fanrasy.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Good news, the second you left the tutorial it was functionally indistinguishable from WoW, with random fantasy_race settlements and elementals and ancient magic and whatever! :downs:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

My experience was limited, I was convinced by positive reviews on launch and never returned back. One of games that made me realize that amount of hype is usually in negative correlation with enjoyability of the gameplay. Considering how 'humorous' and 'light-hearted' it wanted to be, it sure was boring.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Nov 27, 2018

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Asimo posted:

Good news, the second you left the tutorial it was functionally indistinguishable from WoW, with random fantasy_race settlements and elementals and ancient magic and whatever! :downs:

It did have these weird moments where they actually realized their sci-fi setting. Like shiphands and that moon zone with low gravity. Those just made the game all the more frustrating since after visiting one of those zones that actually kind of lived up to the hype about the game's setting. It just made the game more disappoint though since those zones were relatively short and usually followed by a rather generic fantasy zone ripped straight out of WoW.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Space Madness was some A++ poo poo and I spent that entire shiphand laughing.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Minrad posted:

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/topic/157552-news-the-wildstar-in-game-send-off-event/

the game end event is a gigantic 2 hour event on wednesday

can't wait!!

imagine obsessing this much over something you hate

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Elderbean posted:

Bummer it turned out to be so bad. I really want a solid sci-fi MMO since it all tends to be Tolkien fanrasy.

The only decent sci-fi MMO is Star Wars the Old Republic, and there's nothing in development that i'm aware of.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

The only decent sci-fi MMO is Star Wars the Old Republic, and there's nothing in development that i'm aware of.

Neocronnnnnnnn

Imagine a group of German devs got drunk and watched Stallone's Judge Dredd and then made an MMO.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I said come in! posted:

but do not kick the ball, hutts don't have feet

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

there is one sci-fi mmo in development that i am tentatively, partially, tenuously maybe interested in insofar as it has an iota of a chance at perhaps being a decent game: the remake of Face of Mankind. Face of Mankind was a pretty unique dystopian sci-fi mmofps based on emergent player dynamics that manifested themselves in inter-corporate conflicts, since player factions were these pseudo-guilds called Corporations that I believe had an actual in-game impact in terms of resources extracted from controlled territory or something. I never actually played FOM so this is all sort of third-hand memories from when it first piqued my interest in like 2005ish and it was being billed as a spiritual successor to AO/Neocron.

eventually it came out and led a low-key life as a niche mmo controlled by some small fry European game company until it finally shut down a few years back. I think it also tried to keep itself alive at some point with a kickstarter but the people who ran that vanished with tens of thousands of dollars and never produced anything at all. now its being remade by a different company that bought the IP or something, the new game is called "Mankind Reborn" and might just be a rip off and not a legitimate sequel, idk

face of mankind gameplay:

pve, generic stuff including crafting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaalL1QTqzY

pvp from towards the end of the game's life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL9929ol5tM

from mankind reborn's alpha:

pve/pvp/crafting/etc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEHxX7vt2j8

it seems to have the exact same UI and setting, which I'm okay with. honestly none of these videos would be noteworthy or interesting if the entire sci-fi MMO (especially cyberpunk) wasn't utterly dead because this is the best and only option right now and it really doesn't look very good at all.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Face of Mankind was actually a serious attempt at an MMO and not some kind of weird digital performance art? Im struggling to believe this.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it's my birthday today, on this, the deathday of Wildstar