Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah I just got disillusioned with him when I had the 88 one a couple years ago cause you can only really do one thing with him and it might work in real life since he can genuinely beat people off the dribble, but if it's a year where dribbling isn't good like 16 or 17 it's pretty hard to make him work

He might be ok this year because players seem much more responsive. A slow but agile dribbler like Robben or Ribery (or maybe even Zlatan!!!) might be actually playable this year
Yeah no Robben turned out to be garbage for me. Physically too weak and his weak foot ruins him as well. I saved up and bought Reus at 42k before his price jumped higher. Much better player and has already scored/assisted a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Stefan Prodan posted:

I ended up going 5-1-2, 3-1-1 in placements counting my fake loss to put me at div 5, hopefully I can get out of that because in div 5 you have to win like 30 games to get in weekend league at all lol
I won 2, lost 3 of my placement matches and it put me in Div 6. Not bad I guess. It seems like this will be my go-to play mode besides Squad Battles. Even though it's online it's not as stressful as WL or Seasons.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Weirdly my top scorer is Delaney who has like 10 goals in 12 games or something.

I might make some minor upgrades with the money I'm getting from these initial coin boosts, like buy a couple 10k players like Coman or Tolisso and Thiago.

I think running the 4-3-2-1 the CMs are definitely the most important part of the team since even in the final third I get a lot of offense from them coming up to shoot longshots or running through on a 1-2 so I'm gonna emphasize probably making them my best players.

I played two squad battles, I won 1 on legendary and I lost the other one to 3 header goals and a penalty kick :negative:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Stefan Prodan posted:

Weirdly my top scorer is Delaney who has like 10 goals in 12 games or something.

I might make some minor upgrades with the money I'm getting from these initial coin boosts, like buy a couple 10k players like Coman or Tolisso and Thiago.

I think running the 4-3-2-1 the CMs are definitely the most important part of the team since even in the final third I get a lot of offense from them coming up to shoot longshots or running through on a 1-2 so I'm gonna emphasize probably making them my best players.

I played two squad battles, I won 1 on legendary and I lost the other one to 3 header goals and a penalty kick :negative:

i get a ton of goals from my CMs no matter what formation I run, the way they overlap when things get stopped up near the box and the strength of finesse shots means they're involved offensively a ton.

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008
Packed Fabinho and Fred in an SBC pack, seeing as both might get a OTW card should I just wait to sell and see if the price rises (weekend league could push up prices too) or should I take the money now (roughly 60k for Fabinho and 25k for Fred) and reinvest?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Man, divisions is gonna be a crazy grind to actually get to the higher ones. I'm slowly gaining in division 5, and playing fairly decent people

Some of the pro streamers I watch are like barely in division 3

Does anyone know if there are reddit posts or anything about which rewards might be the best to take for the weekly rewards?

I kinda think the tradeable pack might be the overall highest reward but also highest variance?

The untradeable reward is obviously the highest amount of like gross reward in terms of coin value but it's going to be mostly trash you can't convert to anything except through SBCs so I don't think that will be good to take.

I think it's roughly something like, for the top division 5 reward, you get to pick 58k coins straight up, or a rare players and two jumbo premium gold which I think is worth something like 80k total, or a final choice of something like double those packs but untradeable.

Actually looking at that, maybe just taking the 58k is the best because with the packs in the jumbo premium gold you're going to get a lot of consumables and junk

I really like this model though, it actually makes it somewhat doable if you wanted to do a "packed players only" run because you could get a huge amount of untradeable players

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 26, 2018

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Swarmin Swedes posted:

Packed Fabinho and Fred in an SBC pack, seeing as both might get a OTW card should I just wait to sell and see if the price rises (weekend league could push up prices too) or should I take the money now (roughly 60k for Fabinho and 25k for Fred) and reinvest?

Probably yeah, you could just buy a bunch of 10k in form discards and sell them a week later for a few k more, and keep doing that to get exponential growth on your money. I would assume Fabinho and Fred are unlikely to gain 30-40% more and afaik I think you can usually get that from the discard in forms within a week or two

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The divisions feel like a grind because you are playing with nothing but other sweaties. I expect things will get much easier when bad players like myself pick the game up on friday.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean, I want to play with good players, I just mean it takes a long time to rank up, it doesn't use like an elo system or anything

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I getcha. I just mean you will rank up faster when you put up 4 goals in 35 minutes on players like me and then I disconnect.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Good call on that Nakajima ToTW prediction. I bought a bunch of him at 650 each. When should I be looking to sell?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Probably late in the week because he's extinct longer, I would guess, like Monday or Tuesday? I dunno though I don't usually do TOTW buys like this very much

Also, just a tip for everyone, if you are doing the in form investing, and you're just holding the cards in your club, don't! Put them at some fairly high markup like go ahead and list them at 15k if you bought them for 10, and maybe you'll get a lazy buyer that buys them while they're still like 12k or something!

It's another freeroll, no harm in doing it unless you think they'll go up so fast that you'll miss out by selling them too low but that's unlikely.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there no way to Ultimate Team matches against opponents with similar level teams?

I have an all bronze team, but if I go to play online I just get matched up with all gold squads. Are there no bronze tournaments, or anything like the previous FIFA's used to have? Or am I just stuck playing super unfair matches until I spend a bunch of coins on a gold squad?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

Is there no way to Ultimate Team matches against opponents with similar level teams?

I have an all bronze team, but if I go to play online I just get matched up with all gold squads. Are there no bronze tournaments, or anything like the previous FIFA's used to have? Or am I just stuck playing super unfair matches until I spend a bunch of coins on a gold squad?

No you have to spend some coins but I mean honestly like if you activate the coin boosts you're getting 1500 coins per match you play, plus the SBC rewards are pretty generous, even just a 30k team is pretty easy to have in a day or two and that's like a decent team of 80-81 overalls.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea but what if I want to play with a bronze team? I'm just out of luck? Seems foolish.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there's not a lot of demand for bad player gameplay sorry

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Stefan Prodan posted:

Does anyone know if there are reddit posts or anything about which rewards might be the best to take for the weekly rewards?

I kinda think the tradeable pack might be the overall highest reward but also highest variance?

The untradeable reward is obviously the highest amount of like gross reward in terms of coin value but it's going to be mostly trash you can't convert to anything except through SBCs so I don't think that will be good to take.

I think it's roughly something like, for the top division 5 reward, you get to pick 58k coins straight up, or a rare players and two jumbo premium gold which I think is worth something like 80k total, or a final choice of something like double those packs but untradeable.

Actually looking at that, maybe just taking the 58k is the best because with the packs in the jumbo premium gold you're going to get a lot of consumables and junk

I really like this model though, it actually makes it somewhat doable if you wanted to do a "packed players only" run because you could get a huge amount of untradeable players
I love that there's a choice but I can't decide which one I will choose. I'm leaning more towards the untrableables, since there is more, and it's so early that if I pack some awesome player, I'll end up just using them for a while rather than selling them. As for all the trash, it'll go towards SBCs, since I haven't completed alot of them yet.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Got an in form Peter Cech from a reward gold pack. I have a goalie who’s nearly his equal already so I guess I should sell him. Looks like he’s going for 18k or so on Xbox. Sell or hold?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tzen posted:

I love that there's a choice but I can't decide which one I will choose. I'm leaning more towards the untrableables, since there is more, and it's so early that if I pack some awesome player, I'll end up just using them for a while rather than selling them. As for all the trash, it'll go towards SBCs, since I haven't completed alot of them yet.

I thought about it and I think i'd rather do the untradeables later when there's SBCs that I can immediately put them in, like the 86+/85+ overall SBCs and such. Since you get a ton of rare cards it seems like a shame to recycle them in the gold upgrade, but I can't really use them for anything right away.

I might honestly just be boring and grab the 58k coins, between that and the 30k from squad battles this week if I get elite 1, that's 90k in the first week that I can start investing/trading with

Oh, and I managed to hit Division 4 just in time for the new week to start in division rivials!!

I was sweating it, I only was winning by 1 goal for most of the game and I was probably gonna stop playing for the night if I lost or didn't win, so it reminded me of like an important game in weekend league or something, was fun.

I dunno what the top division 4 reward is, I'm guessing like 75k or something.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah quick skill move notes, fake shot seems a bit buffed this year to me, I think it exits from the move and gathers momentum faster. I seem to be able to beat people with it more often than last year. The L1 fake shot is pretty good for a speed boost too if you kinda look someone off who likes to aggressively cover passes.

Obviously also finesse shots with the timed shooting are really good if you get an opening. Also probably the best way to beat squad battles since the AI gives you so much space.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Am I doing myself a major disservice by turning off the timed shot thing? I don’t like it.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

RCarr posted:

Am I doing myself a major disservice by turning off the timed shot thing? I don’t like it.

I feel like that's probably smart for the first couple weeks but at a certain point you're gonna wanna practice it

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

I think it's really fun to nail but I mean you can definitely play without it

If you don't plan on practicing it at all and you sometimes double tap by accident then sure, turn it off, but finesse timed shots are very good

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Negredo price is climbing, sold 3 of his cards for 3k each this morning. Pretty nifty profit. I have about 15 more, I'm not sure if I should sell now or wait to see how high it climbs.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 27, 2018

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Stefan Prodan posted:

I thought about it and I think i'd rather do the untradeables later when there's SBCs that I can immediately put them in, like the 86+/85+ overall SBCs and such. Since you get a ton of rare cards it seems like a shame to recycle them in the gold upgrade, but I can't really use them for anything right away.

I might honestly just be boring and grab the 58k coins, between that and the 30k from squad battles this week if I get elite 1, that's 90k in the first week that I can start investing/trading with

Oh, and I managed to hit Division 4 just in time for the new week to start in division rivials!!

I was sweating it, I only was winning by 1 goal for most of the game and I was probably gonna stop playing for the night if I lost or didn't win, so it reminded me of like an important game in weekend league or something, was fun.

I dunno what the top division 4 reward is, I'm guessing like 75k or something.

Just claimed my rewards. At the last second I decided to select the tradeable rewards. 1 mega pack, 1 consumables pack. Got a load of trash that'll net me at best 18k. I should have just went with the 27.5k coin reward ehhhh next time!

Tzen fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 27, 2018

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

RCarr posted:

Depends. I think in another month or two you'll want to be using it if you're playing online.

I disabled it myself because I blew too many easy chances. However I plan to turn it back on and get decent at it this weekend.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
Anyone else playing pro clubs noticing the AI being a little more batshit than 'normal'. Sometimes they insta ping the ball 15 times between 3 of them (whether there is an opposing player near them or not) and calmly work out of the back as if they are all 99 rated, and other times in the same situation they just decide to blast it out of bounds. The passing choices seem a lot more bizarre and way more rapid fire prone this year, there are several times per game where i'm giving the ball to them because they are open and i have 2 defenders on me and they intermediately give the ball back to me (without a request).

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dollas posted:

Anyone else playing pro clubs noticing the AI being a little more batshit than 'normal'. Sometimes they insta ping the ball 15 times between 3 of them (whether there is an opposing player near them or not) and calmly work out of the back as if they are all 99 rated, and other times in the same situation they just decide to blast it out of bounds. The passing choices seem a lot more bizarre and way more rapid fire prone this year, there are several times per game where i'm giving the ball to them because they are open and i have 2 defenders on me and they intermediately give the ball back to me (without a request).

AI in pro clubs is such trash and it's a shame

In 17 it was really honestly decent and you could trust it not to just give the ball away for no reason. In fact it was nearly useless to press the AI because it would almost never give away the ball cheaply. Now you can just bum rush them and overwhelm them pretty easily, and there's STILL the bug where they give it back to you like you just said which is a straight carryover from 18.

EA hates pro clubs :(

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
someone in your club is calling for the pass and not admitting it. that's the reason the AI go nuts in pro clubs.

every time

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It was quite rude of EA to change “quickly double tapping ‘shoot’” from the best way to score goals in the box in 18 to a guaranteed shank in 19.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The false 9 seems viable again, speaking of Luis Alberto is an absolute steal. Suits that formation perfectly and would be a great cam too. 4* 4* with striker level positioning and finishing and incredibly high passing stats. His overalls are dragged down by bad stats that don't matter (penalties, crossing etc.). He was 1k with hawk on him.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The best way to make a fut team with good chemistry is to just pick a league and stick to it right?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That is the simplest/easiest way, yes.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

angry armadillo posted:

someone in your club is calling for the pass and not admitting it. that's the reason the AI go nuts in pro clubs.

every time

nope because it happens to me also and it's happened all of last year, I've played thousands of games of this including a lot of pro clubs and I have achieved the skill level required to "not mash the pass button after I pass"

The Kingfish posted:

It was quite rude of EA to change “quickly double tapping ‘shoot’” from the best way to score goals in the box in 18 to a guaranteed shank in 19.

I've also never been super happy with the fact that both the "lob pass upfield" and "clear ball" button can also double as "give penalty" button in the box on defense

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

angry armadillo posted:

every time

NOT IN PARMOS WATCH YOUR TOUNGE SIR

although it's probably Haag

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Musa may move leagues, he may leave Europe, he may even lose skills, but as long as he's in the game I will abuse his pace and stamina to batter people. His new IF is gonna give me chance to try out the 4321 this year as that's where I think he'll be best + it works out good with his links. Gonna use this squad shortly.

Also Nakajima is already basically 2k. A tidy 300% return on that already. I have 45 ready to sell. Hoping he hits at least 4k before this week is over.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
still got it my dudes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw-UwJD94Bc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmFKsO1ABoY

also, why in the hell did they gently caress with celebrations. the best part about this game was swarming the other team and prancing in unison

General Dire
Apr 24, 2008
Anyone have any good gameplay tips? Like what formation do you guys think will end up being the meta favourite?
My money's on 4-2-3-1 narrow, solid every year.

Basically I'd love to talk about FIFA stuff other than UT

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I’m using the same formation atm with my left and right CAMs set to free roam. Haven’t played too many games yet but it’s been fun so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
hnnnnnghh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdrzrKsqFus

This happens like 5 times a game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4amMKUvsow