Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I'm gonna stand by my decision to pass on fifa. I played every year starting with 13. I said it when legends were first introduced that I didn't like the concept. I ruins the feel of the game, is out of place, and kills the fun of creative squad building. It got worse and worse as they added more and the legends became more overtuned. Added in with the unending glut of special cards they've been adding to the game and it's made the game less fun and the players feel less unique and special. I don't see the trend reversing on special cards and I don't see them removing legends ever.

Has anything major been announced gameplay wise? I've heard it feels like fifa 18 but slower which is incredibly damning. If they somehow release a quick free flowing game like 15 and 13 I could investigate but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyways I'm still looking for a competitive sports game to fill fifa's gap. It seems like everything is ran by really bad companies (2k and EA) or is extremely amateurish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

It seems like some company could easily make a fifa street esque game or even a futsal game with fun and good dribbling mechanics that could sell well. Heck they could probably even license it for pennies (futsal).

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I still have no plans to buy this game but drat I always get hyped when the database leaks. building starter squads is so fun, if only the gameplay was fifa 15 level. If I had the game I would 100% build a starter squad around batshuayi in a 433. 5* WF 4* skills is crazy. I guarantee if he gets an early IF he will be one of the most dominant strikers in the game for a long time. They also overrated the gently caress out of the Chinese League but that would be another fun starter squad to have Bakambu + Lavezzi looks real good.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

If I end up buying this stupid game I'm gonna be mad

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I just played the demo and the animations were really good, everything felt fluid, defending made sense.... I really liked the gameplay gently caress. I know when I'm not playing AI with no lag in two weeks after all the terrible abusive tactics are figured out I'll hate this game but I think I have to buy it again. I'll just not get fifa points like I always do. drat man.... drat.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The lure of playing a soccer game after a six month break is strong my friend

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yea I know I posted a funny meltdown post but I did say

quote:

If they somehow release a quick free flowing game like 15 and 13 I could investigate but I'm not holding my breath.

It seems like they actually did do this. It feels way more fun and fluid than 16 17 or 18. It also seems to have addressed the defensive imbalances in 17 and 18 which made them super unfun (17 every pass intercepted, 18 no pass intercepted but back 4 is impenetrable). Also turning off park the bus is a big deal, that combined with rewards for non-wl modes is huge for me. I'm sure it will come out people will break the game and the patch will be worse but for now it feels good. Also in regards to the card glut, yea it might happen again, but it's usually six months in that is starts getting bad so if I get a good six months beating ppl in WL with Jhon Cordoba then that's good enough. Also the chemstyle nerfs have my hopes up as well that that whole aspect of the game is better tuned.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

UnderFreddy posted:

Okay, so I just got that IF Payet from one of my first packs. When is the best time to sell him? A week after the game comes out or something like that? People don't really have money now it seems

hollllld

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I got dogshit in my packs but I have the EA access so I completed my starter challenges and put together this cheap chinese serie a hybrid.

It looks really good. I think lavezzi will be a sleeper card. I'm gonna try and get IF Strakosha for discard soon as well.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I've only played two games vs humans but Caceres with sentinel feels good. Also Viera has been my standout player so far. I think dribbling stats are gonna matter a lot more this year. I'm gonna build a squad around IF BWP (I'm a redbulls fan) while his card will still be good early on. 89 finishing, power header, I'm gonna use marksman on him I think. I'm gonna set up in a 4 2 3 1 using his stong link to kaku (gamarra) and kaku's strong paraguay link to almiron. Just gonna fill the rest of the team in with serie A players I think.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I got IF Xhaka who will shoot up to like 40k when POTM comes around. In the mean time I'm gonna build an old school 433 (2) and use him as a deeplying playmaker for now like how I used to use Xabi Alonso.

ALSO I GOT BALE IN AN SBC PACK.

Guess who's on easy street. Hell yea. Debating on selling him now (around ~450k) and just super investing in IFs while they're dirt cheap and people have no coins or waiting until he possibly rises around WL to ~600k

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Whales. People buying thousands of dollars in fifa points and quickselling a lot of trash. Also EA access has been up for like 4 days now so match coins are in the game. Anyone buying a 250k plus player right now is a whale or a top .5% trader.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

These fut rival rewards seem.... overly generous? If you rank 2 you can choose 44 ,000 coins and apparently 40% of the competition qualifies for that rank.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Some quick thoughts. Wide formations are good but the 433 2 seems like poo poo. Strength will be very important this year I think. You can actually cut in and score goals again which is great. Finesse shots might be quite good again, and lastly I think you're going to want pacey CBs, more than you usually do. It could be a small sample/chem style but Caceres with sentinel is amazing, and koscielny and mustafi on basic are terrible. My favorite playes so far are Jonathan Viera, Caceres, Almiron, Batshuayi, and Wakaso. I forget which year it was where the key to winning games was subbing on Renato Sanches with 30 mins left and a lead but Wakaso is a kind of like that.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

RCarr posted:

At what point do I stop doing the Bronze Pack Method and move to something more profitable? I’ve been doing the BPM but not much sells. I have about 8k coins now, should I blow them all on bronze packs or do something else?

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to lose coins doing that method so.... as long as you like. More bronzes will sell when the game releases to for the sbcs. Just buy the 400 packs and put every player on the transfer list until you fill it up and then just autorelist. I dont do it because it's boring and I hit the lottery but it's definitely good when you're starting out.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

RCarr posted:

Should I bother trying to sell the non player cards? I know fitness and healing cards will probably sell, but kits, stadiums, balls, training, etc. should all be quick sold or what?

Fitness and healing really wont sell until the game is out unfortunately. All that other stuff is fluff yea so quicksell it unless there is some incredibly cool rare bronze kit that I'm not aware of.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Here's my hot trading tip. Remember everything I say about trading is a suggestion and I take no responsibility if you lose your shirt doing what I do. That being said this one is pretty easy, I just wanted to be done with it myself before I shared it. Players who transfer to a club not in the game get their cards pulled from packs, when they do that very early on in the game cycle it makes their cards very rare and the price jumps even if they are trash. Well, Negredo transferred from besiktas to some UAE club and I won 45 of his card for 350 coins on open bid. He'll probably be pulled next week. Could hit 10k but even if he just hits 1-2k it's still an easy flip. I'll share my next scheme after I'm done doing it myself. Good luck.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Not for awhile, tying up 15k coins or whatever into a 50-200k windfall isn't a big deal

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Keep in mind this requires ea being diligent but if he gets pulled next week he's gonna be very rare as time goes on.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

This is a cool idea. I'm on PS4 so I picked some up although they are up to like 500-600 now.

What I don't get it is, even with 0 supply, where will the demand come from? I mean sure he's still rare but he'll be still a 78 overall crap card, is it just the combination of nation/league in case it pops up as useful in an SBC?

Anyway since I'm PS4 feel free to PM me any hot trading schemes you are planning if you ever want free poker coaching or something!!

Yea I scoped it out a few days ago and slowly stacked them at 350. People are catching on now, slowly. The demand ultimately comes down to sheer numbers. The fifa userbase is loving huge and this guy will be packed such a tiny tiny amount compared to everything else in the game. People who want him will have a very limited supply to begin with. Add on the fact that people will quick sell him, use him in sbcs, stop playing fifa and leave him in their account etc. etc. and the supply just shrinks as the game goes on. Pre sbc era cards did the same thing. In fifa 13 Jermaine Jones 77 rated schalke card which was out for 6 months went from like 2k to 20k. The card was good but not crazy or anything.

Last year the Adrien Silva Sporting card which wasn't great either reached 80-100k. Granted that card was rare (as opposed to nonrare) and I believe out a shorter period than Negredo but it shows you people will pay a lot when the supply is low no matter how poo poo the card.

I don't have pms but I'll just drop my tips in here when I'm done doing them myself but while they're still viable. Other stuff where other people's trading can't possibly effect me I'll share right away. Like if you have 50k and nothing to spend it on getting five of the 83 rated 10k informs this week is a cannot fail strategy. I think there are higher returns to be had (and quicker) at the moment so I'm doing other stuff but that's just an example.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 24, 2018

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

vivisectvnv posted:

was able to scrape together an RPL squad, minus manuel fernandes

have my seria a and lique 1 squads about half done

I was thinking wow the russian league looks poo poo this year for a really long time until I realized they only licensed 3 teams. Major bummer. Smolov looks incredible and an IF shatov at LW woulda been great.

Hot insider trading tip number 2. So I check out the scores in most of the big leagues every weekend (whether I'm playing fifa or not) and I keep and eye out for any cool performances. On normal weeks if you spot these early then buying the players cheap and waiting for them to be out of packs when the totw comes is some nice easy profit. Though the returns aren't that great and the risk is usually high so I usually avoid it. However, each year I target a player or two that I think will be a lock for totw and buy a lot of them as there price goes wayyyyyy up since they go out of packs and have only been in packs for a week. I did it with balotelli at 2k and he went to 8k as a past example. Well Shoya Nakajima had 2g 1a and a 9.3 rating (on the wing), so I think he's basically a 100% lock. Even better no one online put them in their predictions (yet) which influences prices a bunch. So I bought 45 for 650 open bid (he's rare). I'm pretty sure the word is still not out on him and you can get him for 650. Should be a nice 1.5 to 3k price next week. Please just don't undercut the poo poo out of me on xbox when I'm trying to offload them.

e- I don't really do consumable trading. My main trading consists of really opportunistic sneaky low risk high possible return stuff that other people aren't onto like the two tips I've posted so far and then just investing in high rated discard IFs which takes zero time and is zero risk.

e2- looks like negredos bin is already at 800, I wonder if he's out of packs.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 24, 2018

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

Are those jumbo packs gonna be worth it?? I’m really tempted to buy the champion’s edition.

I get 20% off the game every year through the previous games in game discount and ea access so for 20 bucks its worth it to me. The extra packs are fun and sort you out for fitness and contracts for the entire year. They're really good if you're new/aren't good and it's a fun bonus each week. Never buy fifa points though, remember that rule.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

1 hour EST time, so I assume midnight wherever you are

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

RCarr posted:

How long do you plan on holding these Negrado cards before selling? Are we talking a few weeks, or months?

I personally don't really care much about doing anything quick because it cost ~15k for 45 cards. It's not a lot of coins to wait on. As soon as they pull him he will go up a decent amount then trend slowly from there. If a turklig MM sbc gets released or anything like that it's just a bigger windfall. Btw I packed IF Strakosha in my weekly packs and got 83 Bailly in my CL card pick thing lol. Negredo as I said partly has to do with how lazy EA get in removing him, Nakajima if he gets picked tommorow is a lock for coins. Aside from that I'm waiting to sell Bale the week before the first WL and then I'm just gonna stack discard IFs. Oh... Also sunderland terminated Ndong's contract yesterday and he's a really good silver so I got 5 of him for 1k.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

RCarr posted:

Am I doing myself a major disservice by turning off the timed shot thing? I don’t like it.

I feel like that's probably smart for the first couple weeks but at a certain point you're gonna wanna practice it

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The false 9 seems viable again, speaking of Luis Alberto is an absolute steal. Suits that formation perfectly and would be a great cam too. 4* 4* with striker level positioning and finishing and incredibly high passing stats. His overalls are dragged down by bad stats that don't matter (penalties, crossing etc.). He was 1k with hawk on him.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Musa may move leagues, he may leave Europe, he may even lose skills, but as long as he's in the game I will abuse his pace and stamina to batter people. His new IF is gonna give me chance to try out the 4321 this year as that's where I think he'll be best + it works out good with his links. Gonna use this squad shortly.

Also Nakajima is already basically 2k. A tidy 300% return on that already. I have 45 ready to sell. Hoping he hits at least 4k before this week is over.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yea Negredo not moving much is because EA is being lazy with pulling transferred players. I remember they gave one guy an IF for a club that wasn't in the game last year and that got pulled in like 8 hours. I'm probably gonna start selling my Nakajima's tomorrow. I have 45 to unload.

Also

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The gameplay is fine? I've got like a 3 to 1 win rate in rivals rn. I mean they need to allow players to shoot quicker and they could tweak pace a bit but I haven't had an big issues yet

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

RCarr posted:

So ive played over 50 games of FUT and the companion and web apps still tell me I don’t have access to the transfer market yet and to play more games of FUT to gain access. Nothing like not being able to access features of a game you paid full price for!

I would email them at this point.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yea there seem to be a lot of actually usable skill moves this year. The berbaspin is poo poo again though.

Anyways remember how I found Modeste and hyped him up that one year? Zaza is that this year. I am telling you. He is stupid good. He has Tries To Beat Defensive Line, Flair, and Target Forward traits. I don't know how much they all do but flair is always great, it allows for all those no look and flick passes that other players can't do. Anyways, he has 4* skills and insane physical stats. 90 jump, 88 strength, 90 aggression. The strength aggression combo is always deadly but it feels much much more so this year. When you look at players with super high strength and aggression that are relatively quick he's essentially the only player left that's not an icon (my dude from last year Codoba is there too 74 rated now but I'll bring him back). The only other player really is Marega and he cannot dribble for poo poo. You can't lose with Zaza in a 433. I shield more than most players but even a little shielding or shouldering with him goes a lot this year. Zaza's downsides are the 3* wf and below average passing. He could be more nimble but he's got good dribbling for a big strong player. Oh yea and they gave him 80 penalties lol.

These ucl cards are pretty gimmicky but if you can pick them up for the same price as the nif versions or 1K more do it if you like the player imo. I got a few bargains like Pizzi for 2k.

Also I've got 200k right now from that Nakajima hustle. Gonna sell Bale before weekend league and go completely in on high rated cheap IFs. They are really low right now because no SBCs have needed them yet and that POTM Hazard around the corner absolutely will need them. Easily double the profit on those imo.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm still a big advocate for Zaza and I think anyone trying a 433 should use him but I was waiting on and hoping for Mandzukic to get an IF to replace Zaza. What Mandzukic lacks in some pace and flair compared to zaza he makes up for with the power header trait + height, top top finishing, respectable passing and the x factor of having defensive capabilities upfield (which is extremely underrated). I'm gonna put engine on him and start whipping some serious crosses in. They both have the awesome strength and aggression combo but IF mandzukic is just too good atm. Hopefully Zaza gets an IF soon.

Seriously though defense on a striker seems pointless until you star winning interceptions 10 yards from goal and bringing your striker back to win tackles off unsuspecting midfielders. Obviously it's the least important trait for that position but it does help and makes a player feel unique. I rolled with Suker awhile back when he had those defending stats and it was fun.

e- ooo, mandzukic has the flair trait too nice. Obviously no 4* skills though.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Also this is one of those totws that wrecks my coin balance because I want to try so many players. I want Mandzukic (mandatory), Acosta (key to good Zlatan hybrid), Stark, De Marcos, and Guarin

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Nah his defending is already good enough to be a factor (70 interceptions for instance) most strikers have def stats in the 30-50s where they don't come into play much. I'm going to use engine on mandzukic to round him out

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

Oh jeez, thanks. That’s such a weird feature. He doesn’t show up unless I search for him.

He's untradeable so he will be there after the end of all your tradeable cards in your club. This is the same for all untradeable cards.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

This every volley being a goal thing is ridiculous. EA 100% put that in there because of the last CL campaign and now it's broken and stupid. I thought it was a one off when my Nacho Fernandez scored a bicycle on a corner but I swear bad crosses to players who shouldnt be on the end of a cross are getting rewarded more than heading.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Tzen posted:

Its not just volleys too. I have scored at least 8 bicycle kick goals this FIFA. I never scored more than 10 over the past 5+ loving FIFA's total. It's insane. Even my CBs & CDMs have scored them.

Literally the game after I made that post I scored an insane volley with some waster. I don't know if volleys will be tweaked but thankfully the first patch is going to address sidefoot shots.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

My 433 4 with IF Mandzukic was not clicking for me. I'm gonna mess around with tactics and stuff and give it another try but I wonder if it's just not that good of a formation. The 4231 is working a lot better for me. This squad is real cheap and has been super fun and effective.

Giovinco is really really good this year and IF Acosta has far surpassed my meager expectations. The duo is lethal. The two front CAMs get really wide this year which is nice.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I loaded up on 30 If Fornals from 13-14K. Potm sbcs and other bigger sbcs coming up. He's a decently high rated IF and links to all the poo poo high rated sbc fodder spanish guys like iniesta and busquets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I've been messing around a lot with teams and tactics and I've hit an excellent run of form. I'll post my team and some thoughts in a bit but I'd just like to say lol I packed Aubameyang (tradeable) in my division rival rewards. I've now had the two least stressful big walkouts, when you see a Welsh or Gabon flag you know you're in business. I got tier 2 div 5 rewards and I'm in div 4 now.

RCarr posted:

Just pulled an Aguero from my Division Rivals trade-able reward pack! :woop:

Also congrats fellow lucky rivals packer!