Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah the iww have traditionally been instigators and infiltrators, they get things spun up but iunno if they actually maintained unions back in the day

they were probably the only widespread saboteurs in US labor history and that makes them extra cool in my book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

can you organize with iww if you're in another union, im not but im curious because realistically most of the other unions are garbage anyways

yes you freakin' idiot, that's the whole point!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

i say swears online posted:

yeah the iww have traditionally been instigators and infiltrators, they get things spun up but iunno if they actually maintained unions back in the day

they were probably the only widespread saboteurs in US labor history and that makes them extra cool in my book
they even had a calling card:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/anarchistorian/status/1046872955349868544

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
It’s been like a week and a half since I signed up, filled out the questionnaire, and gave my CC info. Are they gonna send an email or welcome packet so I know what I should be doing?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kobayashi posted:

It’s been like a week and a half since I signed up, filled out the questionnaire, and gave my CC info. Are they gonna send an email or welcome packet so I know what I should be doing?

Welcome to the New Left

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Kobayashi posted:

you will get a yellow envelope from Chicago with your red card and introductory materials

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
as far as what you should be doing

a g I t a t e

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Did you make sure to also pay your first month's dues?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

International worlds wobblies

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

on this, the most important day of the year, Boss's Day, we remember the kindness and thoughtfulness of our bosses by singing a jaunty tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zanhPSTxWa0

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

How long did it take y'all to get your membership approved after submitting the trial payment? Hoping I did it right this time so I can get my dang card.

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

How long did it take y'all to get your membership approved after submitting the trial payment? Hoping I did it right this time so I can get my dang card.

I was able to access the forums after about 5 days and had my red card and other info in about 7.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I got my forum access and card and what have you in like 2 weeks I think. I'm an at-large member in Indianapolis though, nothing local going on here at the moment that I'm aware of.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

My successful write-in campaign for finance committee gives me an excuse to bump the thread.

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

My successful write-in campaign for finance committee gives me an excuse to bump the thread.

:toot:

ONE BIG GOONIUN

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I joined last month and I'm already behind on my dues and haven't gone to any meetings because I'm a piece of poo poo and can't do any of the weekend protest stuff because I work weekends

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Admiral Bosch posted:

I joined last month and I'm already behind on my dues and haven't gone to any meetings because I'm a piece of poo poo and can't do any of the weekend protest stuff because I work weekends

same, sup pos buddy

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I haven't attended a meeting in six years but I'm paying by direct debit so lol

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

I haven't attended a meeting in six years but I'm paying by direct debit so lol

Thank you for your service.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

The Ghoul posted:

Thank you for your service.

they get my money but not my horrible opinions

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Government changed the law to bring my job, which was under the higher education act, into the labor act, transforming our association into a union automatically (and mid negotiations, which was a real knife in the back). Negotiations are starting to ramp up again, and as the equivalent of a shop steward now I'm seriously considering joining the IWW for the education and organizational support should we be forced to strike this time.

Reading the constitution now.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

they get my money but not my horrible opinions

:toughguy:

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/PortlandIWW/status/1088514156481769472?s=19 ANTIFAHOUSE

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

I'm not travelling to Bradford sorry

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

the sequel/reboot I never knew I needed.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
https://www.facebook.com/100013660111371/videos/597991310666201/

it gets better

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

EVERYBODY KNOWS WE DONT SAY SMASH

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Had my first finance committee meeting on Sunday, y'all need to spend money on organizing.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/vancouveriww/status/1092506370803298305

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
cultural appropriation, imo

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I finally got off my lazy rear end and got in touch with people about moving to a branch thats actually travelable. Im going to organise the gently caress out of some stuff

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Had my first finance committee meeting on Sunday, y'all need to spend money on organizing.

two months too late, but you have money to spend?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I finally got off my lazy rear end and got in touch with people about moving to a branch thats actually travelable. Im going to organise the gently caress out of some stuff

I have to get off my lazy rear end and get on redcard to see if there is in fact a branch closer than Edmonton

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Victory Position posted:

two months too late, but you have money to spend?

Tomorrow's our final budgeting meeting.

The thing is, lots of committees request a budget, then never use it.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Bilirubin posted:

I have to get off my lazy rear end and get on redcard to see if there is in fact a branch closer than Edmonton

its a testament to my deep involvement that I didn't even know redcard is a thing

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Tomorrow's our final budgeting meeting.

The thing is, lots of committees request a budget, then never use it.

:cripes: is all I've got, has the rest been decent?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
E: nm WISE-ERA has a different thing

ContinuityNewTimes has issued a correction as of 00:48 on Apr 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Victory Position posted:

:cripes: is all I've got, has the rest been decent?

It's been great. I think it's really just that most people, especially working-class people, don't know how a budget works. And they can't really predict what they'll need, especially when until recently, many of the committees didn't do much, so there's little useful data.

But that's why the finance committee exists! So hopefully we'll start correcting that moving forward.