Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
drat this is what my Dad is always talking about.

My son, here's why I live in Pennsylvania: no tornadoes, no earthquakes, no hurricanes, no droughts, no wildfires.

I'm like, Virginia's basically the same, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lord of Pie posted:

they might get two rolls of paper towels limply chucked at them by el presidente

white privilege

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
are we dispatching Jose to be our man on the ground again

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
unfortunately my demise is being delayed since i'm safely in the UK

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

It's called NWS because the look like boobs.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

anime was right posted:

hahaha im moving out of the east coast id rather be on fire. gently caress.

i moved from tampa into the fire zone and can confirm that a few weeks of poor visibility and weird smells in july is much better than seeing news reports about how your local infrastructure will cease to exist in a few days

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
moving from florida to practically anywhere else in the US would be an improvement though

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Jose posted:

unfortunately my demise is being delayed since i'm safely in the UK

dead from something less dramatic but more british. pudding overdose, weasel attack, sudden catastrophic welshness, no deal brexit, that sort of thing

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i moved from the east coast back to the pacific northwest partly for climate change reasons but i don't really tell anyone that because most people are pretending it either doesn't exist or it's not that big of a deal

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Disaster response better, worse, or on par with Puerto Rico?

Trump is going to look at the electoral map permanently posted in the oval office, see that the Carolinas voted for him, then press a button on his desk and say "give them whatever they need". Button may or may not be an intercom.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Jose posted:

moving from florida to practically anywhere else in the US would be an improvement though

poo poo outta luck if you picked north carolina apparently

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the bitcoin of weed posted:

poo poo outta luck if you picked north carolina apparently

the great pigshit flats are a desolate and disgusting place but if you can stand the smell it's got some of the best scavenging around

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

slippery doc posted:

Trump is going to look at the electoral map permanently posted in the oval office, see that the Carolinas voted for him, then press a button on his desk and say "give them whatever they need". Button may or may not be an intercom.

amazon dash button labeled brawny

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
it is my solemn and regrettable duty to inform you that South of the Border has gotten its poo poo entirely pushed in by Florence

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

triple sulk posted:

rip the entire crabtree mall

aka the only mall in Raleigh that isnt a ghost town lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

where on the waffle house scale does florence fall

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/AnnaRobertssd/status/1039167843496022016?s=20

https://twitter.com/Ken23161693/status/1038851466893713409?s=20

Reminder to NC goons to actually make an evacuation plan or at least buy some food and water, etc. leave room in your budget for candles.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Al! posted:

where on the waffle house scale does florence fall

The captain of the Wilmington Waffle House will continue performing all waffle duties as the house sinks into the Atlantic

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

twoday posted:

https://twitter.com/AnnaRobertssd/status/1039167843496022016?s=20

https://twitter.com/Ken23161693/status/1038851466893713409?s=20

Reminder to NC goons to actually make an evacuation plan or at least buy some food and water, etc. leave room in your budget for candles.

love my normal country where Home Depot stocks rise because of hurricanes

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

twoday posted:

https://twitter.com/martyjbahamonde/status/1038849452566618112

With the way these predictions are escalating, pretty soon we will have a permanent Jupiter-esque storm

El Niño, La Niña y El Diablo

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

looks like florence brought the machine with her :downsrim:

stay safe carolina ghost

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

slippery doc posted:

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-hurricane-matthew-relief-north-carolina-607803

quote:

After Hurricane Matthew slammed into North Carolina last October, triggering evacuations and killing more than 20 people, state officials went to the federal government for help. The state asked for $929 million, most of which would go toward initiatives like fixing homes damaged by flooding, supporting farmers who lost livestock and funding mental health services for survivors.

This week, the state discovered it was likely getting $6.1 million—less than 1 percent of the amount requested.

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/article173591841.html

quote:

More than $130 million in federal disaster relief funds is being withheld from North Carolina amid a deluge of claims from victims of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, according to the director of the state’s emergency management department.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
president deals

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
polling stations for democrats going to be shut down because of the hurricane. not for republicans tho.

hth.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

ikanreed posted:

What the gently caress is with f names and destroying NC.

Fran, Floyd, Felix(sorta), and this fucker

I was living in Cary when Fran rolled through

poo poo sucked

Also, is the crazy tracker from Harvey gonna be at this one? The guy who kept saying "eye wall"

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

anime was right posted:

anyway, stay safe NC goons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ncAUFgTDq8

This will be me Thursday/Friday.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

anime was right posted:

polling stations for democrats going to be shut down because of the hurricane. not for republicans tho.

hth.

Would not be shocked

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

toxic hog poo poo lagoon hurricane death

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I get that the ocean has a limitless supply of coolant, but why do they keep putting them there in spite of the risks

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

new Fallout game looking pretty good

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/ericholthaus/status/1039179866917298183

https://twitter.com/ericholthaus/status/1039182644188209153

twoday has issued a correction as of 17:04 on Sep 10, 2018

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
the bbq sauce debate is going to be settled when the whole state gets swamped by a soupy pig poo poo brew

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

the bbq sauce debate is going to be settled when the whole state gets swamped by a soupy pig poo poo brew

do you like your bbq sauce with a mustard, vinegar or hogturd base?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Poniard posted:

toxic hog poo poo lagoon hurricane death

saw them open for morbid angel at the carrier dome in 97

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bip Roberts posted:

a soupy pig poo poo brew

that's the key ingredient of alabama white sauce

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The Muppets On PCP posted:

that's the key ingredient of alabama white sauce

:discourse:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
hey guys don't forget in addition to the hog lagoon slurry, coal ash, phosphate-heavy agricultural runoff, and algal blooms, there's dupont's genx chemical spills plus whatever the gently caress's in the water at the marine bases that gave all those people cancer for several decades

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
at least the average southerner -- nearly spherical-- is going to float like a bouy

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

it's a cat 4 now lol :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Polo-Rican posted:

If we get another Sandy in the next 5 years all of the repairs they've done will be wiped out because they've done literally nothing in terms of damage prevention.

anyways I can imagine a scenario happening where an unlucky hurricane year basically wipes out the mass transit of most east coast cities for a decade, which would tank the economy big time

reminder that SUPERSTORM sandy was sub-category 1 and that an actual hurricane would bring with it a much more considerable storm surge than what flooded nyc and jersey

and yeah the mta hasn't meaningfully improved their sites to withstand any future flooding beyond just putting in a buncha watertight doors, to say nothing for other critical infrastructure

it's a huge problem, tho depressingly not that surprising - fema was still doing katrina work in new orleans in 2013