Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

There are some spicy clouds going around eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

clallam county in drought is just an absolute disaster, and a wildfire catastrophe waiting to happen

i have a very good friend who has lived his entire 60 years there, and he's never seen anything like the last few

temperate rainforest more like temperate fuel pile

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

HashtagGirlboss posted:

How is undue defined, because I feel like Washington is pretty due for some hardship

Declaration needed for FEMA dollars to flow.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
the St Louis area is getting hit with a bunch of tornadoes at the same time. I hope they miss everything!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

FistEnergy posted:

the St Louis area is getting hit with a bunch of tornadoes at the same time. I hope they miss everything!

I hope they all converge on that one guy and his wife who pulled guns on those protest marchers

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

clallam county in drought is just an absolute disaster, and a wildfire catastrophe waiting to happen

i have a very good friend who has lived his entire 60 years there, and he's never seen anything like the last few

I'm cleaning up my parents property and this Doug fir near my house keeps shedding massive branches. I cut up the most recent widow maker and looked at the rings: a 27 year old branch and the last 3 years worth of growth were near non existant. Also the last few rings were oblong instead of round like the rest. I'm certain the limb shedding is drought stress. Once I finish chopping up all the deadwood I'm going to remove the grass growing under it and mulch with wood chips.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

err posted:

washington is turning into california

I'm sorry that I'm replying to this days late but I have never paid attention to what the counties in Washington are called and this is giving me the chuckles

also sorry that the state is dying, but "Skamania", "What.com" etc. :newlol:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Nenonen posted:

I'm sorry that I'm replying to this days late but I have never paid attention to what the counties in Washington are called and this is giving me the chuckles

also sorry that the state is dying, but "Skamania", "What.com" etc. :newlol:

a comical amount of counties in the western US were named by illiterate 19th century american woodsmen plagiarizing native words then telling some suited nerd in a city that yeah totally everybody agrees this is the name so write it down spelled like I told you or get swirlied

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

the rest of the county names were basically illiterate woodsman telling some nerd "this county is called Jerry, after me, and is spelt Jerry, after me"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The state of Wyoming is named after a valley in Pennsylvania.

Idaho is a name that some guy just made up and lied and said that it was from “the Indians”.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Platystemon posted:

Idaho is a name that some guy just made up and lied and said that it was from “the Indians”.

actually, your mother named idaho after herself.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Platystemon posted:

I beleive this is also the case with Arizona

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I beleive this is also the case with Arizona

i thought it was just a joke like hey what do we call this arid zone? uh.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

i thought it was just a joke like hey what do we call this arid zone? uh.

Nah that’s a commonly believed thing and not a joke that it comes from Spanish ‘arida zona’ but as far as I know there’s nothing to support the Spanish ever actually calling it that

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Platystemon posted:

Mount Rainier is apparently named after some dude who never saw the mountain and never even went to the west coast.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

yeah but he probably contributed some cash to the expedition so who can say if the name is good or bad

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Last week central Europe was in the middle of a scorching heat wave, currently they're hovering just around freezing

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Wheany posted:

Last week central Europe was in the middle of a scorching heat wave, currently they're hovering just around freezing

It sucks, spring was here for a full week as a cocktease too

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
sorry best I can do is late winter or early summer

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

TehSaurus posted:

yeah but he probably contributed some cash to the expedition so who can say if the name is good or bad

If I remember right Rainier was one of Lord Vancouver’s drinking buddies, which is also how Mt Hood and Mt Saint Helens were named. And then Vancouver also slapped his name on a bunch of stuff too

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Mount Crypto.com

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Nah that’s a commonly believed thing and not a joke that it comes from Spanish ‘arida zona’ but as far as I know there’s nothing to support the Spanish ever actually calling it that

especially since it would be zona arida

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

1glitch0 posted:

Mount Rainier is apparently named after some dude who never saw the mountain and never even went to the west coast.

that's McKinley. they renamed it.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

especially since it would be zona arida

Yeah I almost mentioned that the grammar was off but my Spanish isn’t good enough for me to have felt confident saying so

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

that's McKinley. they renamed it.

It’s McKinley and Rainer and honestly most of the rest of the peaks that have English names

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Billy McKinley wasn’t even a president at the time some dumbass gave the mountain his name, just a candidate.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

leave the big tits alone though, thats a good name for mountains in any language

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

still early spring.. as it has been since like november.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
https://twitter.com/NickGormanWX/status/1783950735434031233

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Chasers suck

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

SirPablo posted:

Chasers suck

Well then have some ethically sourced tornado images:

https://twitter.com/WxStelten/status/1783948272685416588

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Better

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

SirPablo posted:

Chasers suck

how else do you expect Dorothy 2 to get inside the tornado then genius

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
A mile wide wedge just went through the far western suburbs of Omaha. No bueno.

Brainwreck
Mar 17, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/samuelcamp_wx/status/1783959750142509432

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Big puff of something popped up on the radar too, hope it was just stuff.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Ferdinand Bardamu posted:

A mile wide wedge just went through the far western suburbs of Omaha. No bueno.

this is the obvious result of humans' continued encroaching into tornado habitat

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Can u imagine before the settlers came being in a great plains tribe and a tornado rips thru a Buffalo herd and you get to enjoy the spoils. A gift from the gods

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

titty_baby_ posted:

Can u imagine before the settlers came being in a great plains tribe and a tornado rips thru a Buffalo herd and you get to enjoy the spoils. A gift from the gods

Glad I'm not the only one

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Nightmare fuel

https://twitter.com/wxnb_/status/1783967156679373087

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

titty_baby_ posted:

tornados are a punishment for manifest destiny iirc