Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

The Muppets On PCP posted:

hey guys don't forget in addition to the hog lagoon slurry, coal ash, phosphate-heavy agricultural runoff, and algal blooms, there's dupont's genx chemical spills plus whatever the gently caress's in the water at the marine bases that gave all those people cancer for several decades

get ready for a lot of ads for pustule care clinics on fox news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

zegermans posted:

I get that the ocean has a limitless supply of coolant, but why do they keep putting them there in spite of the risks

It's cheap op,and by the time the disaster strikes I will have safely moved to another company where I can make financial decisions based on quarterly reports

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hey guys don't forget in addition to the hog lagoon slurry, coal ash, phosphate-heavy agricultural runoff, and algal blooms, there's dupont's genx chemical spills plus whatever the gently caress's in the water at the marine bases that gave all those people cancer for several decades

remember how chemical plants and storage got flooded last year in harvey and texas went all "state law says we don't hafta tell you what was in there lol"

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

drat this is what my Dad is always talking about.

My son, here's why I live in Pennsylvania: no tornadoes, no earthquakes, no hurricanes, no droughts, no wildfires.

I'm like, Virginia's basically the same, right?

philly gonna be the last city standing

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

remember how chemical plants and storage got flooded last year in harvey and texas went all "state law says we don't hafta tell you what was in there lol"

they don't want to piss off the pro cancer lobby, believe me. there's a lot of tax revenues there

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

reminder that SUPERSTORM sandy was sub-category 1 and that an actual hurricane would bring with it a much more considerable storm surge than what flooded nyc and jersey

and yeah the mta hasn't meaningfully improved their sites to withstand any future flooding beyond just putting in a buncha watertight doors, to say nothing for other critical infrastructure

it's a huge problem, tho depressingly not that surprising - fema was still doing katrina work in new orleans in 2013

National mobilization now

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Climatecucks raus

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

reminder that SUPERSTORM sandy was sub-category 1 and that an actual hurricane would bring with it a much more considerable storm surge than what flooded nyc and jersey

and yeah the mta hasn't meaningfully improved their sites to withstand any future flooding beyond just putting in a buncha watertight doors, to say nothing for other critical infrastructure

it's a huge problem, tho depressingly not that surprising - fema was still doing katrina work in new orleans in 2013

Sandy existed because a hurricane corpse hosed a nor'ester and jizzed all over NY/NJ, it wasn't just a hurricane.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

National mobilization now

cool which brown people are we going to shoot

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

twoday posted:

list of goons to check later to see if they are dead:
Dry goods

i finally made the big leagues

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
howdy im a panicky wilmington goon

e: i am evacuating, this is going to be a murdercane

A Big Fuckin Hornet has issued a correction as of 17:46 on Sep 10, 2018

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

cool which brown people are we going to shoot

The one's that still support obama/clinton.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Jose posted:

unfortunately my demise is being delayed since i'm safely in the UK

Someone buy Jose a ticket into the path of the hurricane and a few bars of Xanax.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

rip

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

does Jose have his hotel room booked yet?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/MartyJBahamonde/status/1038849452566618112

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

here for the poo poo s e s h show

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Hope you have something to return to

Pro-tip: Try to go somewhere less deadly

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

My grandparents evacuated last week but my uncle (who lives with them) decided to stay behind to look after the house. He's in Leland which is basically gonna take a direct hit from the storm

I hope he stocked up

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
my folks have a vacation RV/trailer spot down in the Brunswick beaches and im telling them to not expect it to be there after this

the rural areas between Wilmington and N. myrtle beach are going to be wiped clean and im glad of it

twoday
May 4, 2005

my folks have a vacation RV/trailer spot down in the Brunswick beaches and im telling them to not expect it to be there after this

the rural areas between Wilmington and N. myrtle beach are going to be wiped clean and im glad of it

Yeah, after sandy lots of poor coastal regions were obliterated and have since been replaced with beachfront McMansions protected by sand walls, it’s wonderful

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

i'm in eastern nc and this week should be fun. last rain map i looked at showed the heaviest rain more in the center where my sister lives though

probably should have learned how to swim

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the earth is very determined to destroy florida

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

twoday posted:

Yeah, after sandy lots of poor coastal regions were obliterated and have since been replaced with beachfront McMansions protected by sand walls, it’s wonderful

these beaches already are essentially glorified sandbars with thousands of condos on stilts, and then you go just a few miles north and its third world chud country

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Yinlock posted:

the earth is very determined to destroy florida

earth has poo poo aim

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

not on the coast in nc. all we got are dune fences and some scrub vegetation

which is actually better than any sort of seawall

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/TeamW700/status/1039196285482528768?s=19

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

not on the coast in nc. all we got are dune fences and some scrub vegetation

which is actually better than any sort of seawall

also barrier islands. Nature's sea wall, with the added bonus of being able to laugh at rich idiots who build the homes on a island who's ecological role is ablative armor for marshland

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

zegermans posted:

Sandy existed because a hurricane corpse hosed a nor'ester and jizzed all over NY/NJ, it wasn't just a hurricane.

it wasn't a hurricane at all by that point, it was a tropical depression, and the point is that a storm with hurricane-force winds would do significantly more damage to the area's critical infrastructure at its current shamefully low level of preparation which is a much bigger problem than people seem to realize

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Agean90 posted:

also barrier islands. Nature's sea wall, with the added bonus of being able to laugh at rich idiots who build the homes on a island who's ecological role is ablative armor for marshland

Convert suburbia to swamps imo

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
everyone can evacuate to Nashville and sleep on my sectional

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Agean90 posted:

it'll be fun seeing where new inlets get cut

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
give the cursed OIB back to the earth imo

twoday
May 4, 2005

Since they didn't fix the gerrymandered NC district map, the hurricane is going to redraw the map for them

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

it'll be fun seeing where new inlets get cut

and the rich scrambling to plant their flags on the land because they're too dumb to realize that this poo poo will just happen again

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

twoday posted:

Since they didn't fix the gerrymandered NC district map, the hurricane is going to redraw the map for them

nature finds a way

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

twoday
May 4, 2005

That one place is going to get less than an inch of rain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

Tom Tucker posted:

Hey everyone you know how coal plants create literally millions of tons of super-toxic poo poo called "coal ash"? You know how they dispose of that stuff properly so no one is put at risk?

Hahaha no you don't because they just leave it in open pools with little to no oversight due to coal-friendly regulations.

Where are those open-air pools of literal poison located you may ask?

https://twitter.com/DanFinnFoley/status/1039200178576736257