Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
my folks retired to wlimington area and very luckily are back home in michigan this entire week so they're basically just watching and waiting

trying to figure out if i should intensify my climate evangelism from like 40% to 65% or so and maybe they can divest themselve sof the house before it washes out to sea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
It's their actual home up the basin across the bridge not some beach bullshit sorry I guess my wording might have implied elsewise, they only have one house

Also yeah what's flood insurance precious lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
No just build a state sized turbine and blow it BACK TO MALI

let Bamako deal with these drat hurricanes

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Feranon posted:

oh say do those two gol-den archesss yet staaaa-aaaaand

o'er the carolina seeeeeaaa

that uuuuused to be laaaaaaand

:911:

lmao

was the... picture sposeda convey this idea or did he not include an actual flag in the shot? either way lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
xpostin some thoughts i had in teh gbs thread and startin to get even angrier about The Times

reading through the NOAA site, the resources they have deployed is incredible. each flow gauge along these rivers has individual qualitative descriptors for what each quantitative flood-stage level means:

Cape Fear River At Lock 1 posted:

50 Water levels will reach the the height of the bluff on which the lockmasters residence is located.
28 Flood waters will near the flood of record. At 30 feet, this is above the flood of record and flood waters reach the instrument shelter.
26 Moderate flooding of swamps and low lands. Flooding similar to that reached with the remnants of Hurricane Hilda in 1964.
24 Lowland flooding will occur along the riverbed.

anyone who complains about government spending money on any variety of civil infrastructure should be catapulted into the sun to spare the gene pool

this is an unbelievable font of informatio nand anyone who wants to can just look it up, this is what an actual society should look like and the pisspig in charge wants to destroy it all

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
the timing really makes it, great cinematography, give that man the 10,000 yuan

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Nebakenezzer posted:

Dumb question: How many of these houses are toast

I know that a flooded car is spare parts at best, how do buildings/houses fare?

turbotoast

at best a strip and rebuild which will cost more than just bulldozing them and constructing a new one

neither option of which 99% of the people pictured can afford

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

SKULL.GIF posted:

No he just linked the thumbnail like a dumbass

Remove the _d from the end of the url to get the full size image

yeah but this forecast is 48+ hours old and the call now is for it just to poop out over new england

SO CLOSE guys. america almost channeled a jose-seeking hadouken. a jadouken.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Gringostar posted:

i don't know the soil makeup of the flooded areas but if it's heavily clay based that's actually really good news as far as saving what they can from houses since clay is the most resilient (aside from bedrock of course) when it comes to soil foundation

if the soil is more sand based entire cities might have to be rebuilt

great news, it's mostly very sandy garbage soils east of the piedmont

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
not to mention the floods in 2015 already screwed up an enormous amount of the carolinas border area

the farmers i worked with in Dillon SC got 18 inches of rain that stood on their neighbors fields for almost a month and maybe two weeks on their own plots (because we'd been doing a lot of work to build up infiltration profiles which is very useful, but still...)

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 19:08 on Sep 18, 2018

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
lmao at Florence coming back with a vengeance

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article218918235.html

a knock-on effect of horrendous flooding is that there's never a long enough time over which "routine" weather patterns remain dry for the additional volume of water to... infiltrate/evaporate/run off.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Addamere posted:

Did we ever get an update on how wet this storm was from the standpoint of water?

one of the wettest we've ever seen

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

RandomPauI posted:

Did anyone luck out and get a free boat?

I guess it depends, a few of those houses seem able to relocate so they could be considered to briefly be boats

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

sneak attack on houston from the wrong direction lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

holy poo poo under 900mbar that is a doomstorm

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
like you don't need to put a number on it you can visually ascertain even from that guy's video that it's Bad Out

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Addamere posted:

This is America, buddy. We don't just respond to things that obviously require intervention. Yeah sure maybe it's "bad out", but what do you expect us to do about that? It's "bad out" everywhere! Until you bring that air down to the office and fill out some forms for means tested tax credits, we've got no way to know how "bad out" it is.

i was about to make this post myself

because u see as soon as we have attached a Number to the Badness, we can all congratulate ourselves on a job well done

and all the loving people debating over the accuracy of sensors are doing exactly what we are ironically posting :smithicide:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Al! posted:

do people just not know what snow is and continue to drive like the stupid assholes they always drive like you dont have to answer that one its rhetorical

combination of that, environment-specific low bid road engineering, and a complete absence of any infrastructure to either A) travel without a car or B) clear or prepare the roads on a government level

duke had more snowplows than Durham

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Peanut Butler posted:

yesterday's Kansas tornado, from atop one of the higher points in town

holy poo poo we are so hosed lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Over Easy posted:

maybe some of them megatornados will hoover out some of that floodwater that is pooling in the midwest

the fun climate transition planet reality is the one where there's enough moisture and energy in the atmosphere to just have constant world spanning and sweeping storms for a couple decades

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Thoguh posted:

Tornado sirens are going off. I'm not going inside until I can see it.

please complement your farmer neighbor on planting into standing residue thats some good soil conservation Lou

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Mad Wack posted:

cool to be alive to see this

yup

less cool for my friends' kids :smith:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

this is what it looked like for the previous 48 hours in Texas and the southeast too, there's a shitload of energy and moisture in the atmosphere

hurricane season is gonna own sooooo much

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Mayor Dave posted:

lmao get owned europe

it's cool they're just hoarding heat for when the thermohaline shuts down oh... two years? from now? whatever an exponentially faster time period than expected is

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Ayin posted:

What's the deal with the cold spots on the north african coast?

it's not necessarily cold it's just deviation from norm and that one spot is Benghazi so maybe it's vilerat's ghost haunting the dataset

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Truniht posted:

Just wait until the Gulf Stream collapses fam, then Britain and Ireland will become unliveable

Nah when the thermohaline collapses it'll counteract the warming because it won't be cycling heat out of the gulf to Europe any more, bing bong boom brexit means brexit

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Mad Wack posted:

why are people driving in that

sounds like y ou're not committed to the job - American Boss

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Socks4Hands posted:

if only this could have happened four days ago

it tried its best, the american cancer is resilient

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeah and it's hurricane season now so... that's not the biggest shock

bring on the September Monsters imo.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

PostNouveau posted:

OK I'm packing up. They're flipping the exit ramps to on ramps. Word is spreading because the Coast Guard had an alarming meeting and everyone immediately texted their loved ones. This is what I got:

mods maybe post this as an announcement or something I dunno :smith:

good luck goon, stay safe

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

*dozens of black people hunted for sport* I'd like to see Donald Trump wriggle his way out of this jam!

AH

nevertheless

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
one surgey boi

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I bet it's this. In 2003 such weather was unprecedented, but by 2019 even with a (worse, right?) heatwave it's probably less of a deviation from normal and people know to keep mee maw and pep pep from dying of heatstroke.

also european countries don't make it a point of pride to stuff their fuckin national fingers in their ears and scream LALALALALA GLOBAL WARMING FAKE NEWS

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
the most technocratic, circumstance-blind approach to disaster management ever

"Well i f the storm isn't THIS NUMBER BIG then no worries just stay at yellow alert"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Nocturtle posted:

I've been seriously wondering about this, NYC is facing an imminent existential threat but there's been barely any work towards storm/sea rise protection. All of those billionaire pencil skyscrapers are worth nothing if the city stop working because the subways flooded. Maybe the authorities figure that NYC is doomed no matter what on a 100-year timescale, so investing money is pointless. But then why fund the LGA renovation, given that it's already regularly flooding.

i walked by metropolitan hospital, the "poor people" hospital on the north side of the island serving East Harlem the other day and lo! there are flood initiatives already being deployed:

they're sandbags

that don't even make it all the way around the building.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

are we pretending this isn't New Orleans already

no, but there's a threshold that is rapidly being eclipsed after which point no amount of good money thrown after bad to perpetuate an unsustainable, wildly optimistic status quo will help?

you're being remarkably obtuse about this lmao

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

PostNouveau posted:

Attack on Titan-style walls but they're holding back the Mississippi

what if we divert the Mississippi into space

a space barge floating raw materials up to the O'Neil cylinders

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Luneshot posted:

Here's a fun study for y'all: what will major cities feel like in 2050?
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0217592#abstract0

Appendix S2 is a spreadsheet of every city and the three closest analog 'future' cities.

Phoenix -> Baghdad, Basra

lmfao GOD WILLING

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

CODChimera posted:

I'm watching the news livestream and being in one of these raised houses during a storm must be genuinely terrifying

Erik Larsen's book Isaac's Storm is a really good sort of historical speculative accounting of the kind of batshit weirdness and desperation of being in this situation. if you want to read about Weather Politics for several too many pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
glad this fizzled out just beware a sandy on the horizon