Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

this hurricane is fake news made up by the chinese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

wait so did it go from 4 to 5 in like an hour

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

someone turn off the smoke

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i insist on living in california because its where i am employed

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

man i wish i has gotten the idea to ride out a cat 4 hurricane for profit

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Remember Sally

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sometime around noon today I began smelling something weird but couldn't place it. Just stepped out on my balcony to stretch before I leave for work only to see the sky totally hazy with a slightly orange tinge. Guess the wildfire smoke has arrived from the west

Temperatures forecast to plunge 20 degrees over the next 36 hours, real cool.

it's finally below 100 AQI at my house today lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

iirc maybe it was Undoing the Demos that had a section making GBS threads on public choice theory as neoliberalism taking over how we think about democracy, i'll have to check

e: nah i couldn't find "public choice theory" in the index, not sure what book it was then

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

wasnt there an email forward from 2001 or so of a hurricane that supposedly carved its path through the bush-voting counties in florida

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ayin posted:

lol I'm in pennsylvania and the AQI is triple the previous high (that I'd remembered anyway)

also I've discovered that apparently I am amongst the "sensitive groups" because 120 is troublesome to me and, in retrospect, probably the source of this damned headache that won't go away. It was better today... but also I kept all the windows closed yesterday because of the chill.

Now it's gonna be warm and I can't open the windows without feeling awful :negative:

in california i now consider any air quality number below 100 as "good"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Perry Mason Jar posted:

How far ahead is 2020 for named storms against the next worst year? I think I read the 21st named storm in 2005 was October 8th, so well ahead, but I haven't double-checked that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Storm_Alpha_(2005)

quote:

Tropical Storm Alpha was the twenty-third named storm of the record-breaking 2005 Atlantic hurricane season. Since the 21 names from the predetermined A–W list were all used, Alpha was the first tropical storm ever to be given a name from the Greek alphabet. On October 20, Tropical Depression Twenty-five formed from a tropical wave near the Windward Islands. It became a tropical storm on October 23, and reached its peak intensity but weakened again before making landfall in the Dominican Republic that afternoon. Crossing the island of Hispaniola it weakened to a tropical depression, and persisted until October 24, when it dissipated. Its remnant low was absorbed by Hurricane Wilma's large circulation.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Thesaurus posted:

teddy is going to take out greenland after it's finished with canada

now they'll reconsider that swap for puerto rico. art of the deal motherfucker

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it's hot and windy and smells like smoke again lol

new evacuations in sonoma and napa counties earlier tonight

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 09:15 on Sep 28, 2020

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

also it says the tipping point for coral was reached in 2013-2016 lol thanks obama

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

at least the federal government has shown that they'll throw many billions of dollars keeping new orleans on the map because it's a strategically and economically important port city

wine country burning down every year will just make the rich people that own all the politicians sad

i'm pretty sure the state of california can be convinced to bail out the wine industry

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

papersack posted:

Whatre they gonna do when they have to retire greek alphabet names

hebrew alphabet?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

If the Biden Administration wanted to freak people out about climate change,

let me stop you there

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

not looking forward to the three weeks of hurricane epsilon getting closer and closer to making landfall but never quite reaching land

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

lol drat its true

wow i had no idea planes were so big

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

Those oral histories are very robust. If you ever find yourself near Neah Bay the Makah people’s cultural center is very well done and interesting. They had a story of a large mudslide that later was excavated and resulted in a ton of well preserved artifacts, including evidence of gill net fishing which was used to help establish the practice as predating the treaties to the eternal consternation of modern fisherfolk who get really pissed about natives fishing.

Honestly I have no idea what the poster is talking about there were settlements and people all up and down the coast

i'm pretty sure they're referring to this earthquake https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1700_Cascadia_earthquake

part of the story is that the earthquake was so big that at least one town was completely destroyed

from https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one :

quote:

Once scientists had reconstructed the 1700 earthquake, certain previously overlooked accounts also came to seem like clues. In 1964, Chief Louis Nookmis, of the Huu-ay-aht First Nation, in British Columbia, told a story, passed down through seven generations, about the eradication of Vancouver Island’s Pachena Bay people. “I think it was at nighttime that the land shook,” Nookmis recalled. According to another tribal history, “They sank at once, were all drowned; not one survived.” A hundred years earlier, Billy Balch, a leader of the Makah tribe, recounted a similar story. Before his own time, he said, all the water had receded from Washington State’s Neah Bay, then suddenly poured back in, inundating the entire region. Those who survived later found canoes hanging from the trees. In a 2005 study, Ruth Ludwin, then a seismologist at the University of Washington, together with nine colleagues, collected and analyzed Native American reports of earthquakes and saltwater floods. Some of those reports contained enough information to estimate a date range for the events they described. On average, the midpoint of that range was 1701.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

iirc its just because tampa is on the west coast of florida and the gulf/caribbean hurricanes always move east to west (because that's the direction of the trade winds)

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 21:04 on Nov 5, 2020

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol when i first saw the map i thought it was showing the route as moving from the gulf to guatemala but i had to read the next few posts to realize that actually its being predicted to turn completely around

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/waldojaquith/status/1339242968801218564?s=20

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

emf posted:

The simple explanation is given in 1st year chem:
PV = nRT
T goes up, and more evaporation makes n go up
n and T go up, product of P and V goes up
V can only go up by expanding the atmosphere away from the surface which requires P to go up
therefore P goes up
bonus question: deltaP drives weather and everything gets worse

what happens when you invoke "P"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

id expect that they wouldn't bother winterizing the turbines or installing defrosters in the blades or whatever it is they're lacking since they never expected to reasonably need them.

the larger meme takes hold because it's just another iteration of the "liberals are dumb hippies and are replacing stuff that works with lovely poo poo that doesn't work and claiming it's more eco friendly" thing that has been a right wing article of faith for decades. it's identical to trump going on long tangents during his rallies ranting about low flow toilets you have to flush five times or eco friendly washing machines that break all the time

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What even is the loving point of government if it isn't to do all the things we as individuals cannot and to serve the common weal?

"law and order"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Now you're on the trolley (they don't want government to exist because they're too stupid to understand that their wealth and power are fundamentally predicated on it)

they understand that they need the cops to protect their property rights, which is why the only functions of government that they like is the police and the military

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

it all runs off to the sea, theres no way for that much to be absorbed

that's only because the liberals refuse to dam the rivers because they're trying to protect some fish that's so tiny you can't even barely see it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

god hates sooners

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

Here are the primary and auxiliary lists for the year:

Ana Bill Claudette Danny Elsa Fred Grace Henri Ida Julian Kate
Larry Mindy Nicholas Odette Peter Rose Sam Teresa Victor Wanda

Adria Braylen Caridad Deshawn Emery Foster Gemma Heath Isla Jacobus Kenzie
Lucio Makayla Nolan Orlanda Pax Ronin Sophie Tayshaun Viviana Will

Hurricane Lucio play of the game inc

Hurricane Ronin passes through Houston but it strangely looks like everything's still okay then a day later all the buildings all spontaneously collapse at the same time

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hurricanes Peter and Rose fuse together into one superhurricane that then precisely targets the geographic center of New York

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

when i first saw the first tweet i thought it said "Torpedo Warning" for a second

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

water temps are waaaaaaaay to cold to really hit anywhere on the western part of CONUS. Maybe remnants of a dying one could hit near the border, a couple have tried.

water temps. Early in the season but note how much further cold temperatures extend down the EPac:

west coast best coast

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Do they believe in climate change yet or will the solar panels and electric cars save us

everything i've read in the business press lately has been that finance and politics people have come around to the idea that now that biden is president global warming will be addressed and that it mostly involves phasing out gasoline cars for electric cars and the transition to a non-carbon-intensive economy will mostly be finished in maybe 10 or 20 years

this is also about what the biden admin has been messaging

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Can desalination plants meet our water needs in a few decades or are we all gonna be drafted into fighting a war over water?

Or, knowing capitalism, yes and yes?

the US's water supply right now is probably enough for our needs if it were rationed like a finite resource but instead rich people and businesses guzzle zillions of gallons on golf courses and horribly wasteful agricultural processes

as you surely are aware we of course can't solve any problems through planning and instead have to use market mechanisms like making water more expensive, but coincidentally the big water users are exempt from the market mechanisms

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Lmao rice doesn’t even need to be flooded. They just do it to keep away weeds and pests. So it’s an extra layer of stupid

right, agriculture in california uses extremely water-intensive methods because big landowners have absurd grandfathered water rights from hundreds of years ago that let them pull as much water as they want for practically free so it's cheaper than trying to conserve water

meanwhile normal people are asked to save water by flushing toilets less and taking shorter showers

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 00:33 on Jun 25, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

coke posted:

they still use both though :shrug:

it's more like the farmers with all the power and money were able to bribe the policy makers to make absurd claim on the need for water conservation (for everyone else)

ironically one of the academic person i was talking to mentioned how he had a chat with some israeli regarding the issue and the problem with california is "water is too cheap" especially for the large users

no one is going to waste water to grow crop in the desert when the water is as expensive as the residential pricing

water is definitely too cheap, same as how it's too cheap to pollute

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

END THE NEWSOM-CREATED DUST BOWL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I'm going around extremely crack-pinged asking people "You up on this PNW heatwave?" and yeah mostly no one has heard of it over here in NYC metro, lmao

new yorkers not knowing the rest of the country exists is usually a point of pride for them though