Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don't think there's ever been a flood where I am and I happen to know the history of the historic building across the street p well and don't recall any floods for a hundred years plus but I also know I've never even heard of fifty inches of rain outside Harvey like scenarios

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

byob historian posted:

a year before katrina dwntwn asheville flooded from a hurricane

Asheville floods a lot tho they're known for it which seems surprising the first time u hear about it

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Lol north Carolina is getting no help because the governor is a democrat

lol nc doesnt rly have elections

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I live right under one of those huge stately oaks that always falls over and crushes houses in the Triangle so we'll see what we get here.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
A category downgrade is reassuring for the exact reason that the categories are what they are, it means that fewer well-constructed structures on high ground are gonna get blowed away!

edit: which is particularly important in Wilmington which is a bit above projected storm surge, not that there's much silver lining on 5 feet of rain or whatever

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Goffer posted:

Are there any good dams or critical infrastructure in poor condition in the area that will potentially gently caress poo poo up? Gotta watch those flood numbers go up.

Lake Tahoma looks pretty ripe - almost burst with 7 inches of rain back in May.

Western NC is more this, we'll see it on the back end of the storm I think.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

twoday posted:

yeah they're really pissed at you over there

Prester Jane is managing to overhype a major hurricane lol

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also I think Triangle ppl are overrepresented on SA bc it's a CITY OF NERDS so they're all relieved it's going south even if it's going there to turbofuck a huge section of coastline instead of burn out quickly in Raleigh

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure about SC but there's very little Harvey Potential in eastern NC simply bc it's a desolate wasteland. I remember we had Floyd and it was horrible and everything was underwater but it wasn't some huge national catastrophe because there's nothing there but hogs and small-town racism

as noted Wilmington has been around a very long time and as long as it doesn't straight up blow away, probably won't wash off the face of the earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

twoday posted:

It might reshape the landscape of the swamp a bit

Cut a few new inlets, demonstrate to some newcomers why there weren't houses in their particular swamp or sandbar until the market started being comically bubble-driven and people built suburbs everywhere, etc.