Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

shovelbum posted:

I don't think there's ever been a flood where I am and I happen to know the history of the historic building across the street p well and don't recall any floods for a hundred years plus but I also know I've never even heard of fifty inches of rain outside Harvey like scenarios

lol

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

the 'stall overland for 4+ days' part is what slays me

this is basically exactly what did Houston in, have fun with your pigshit mudslides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

anime was right posted:

hahaha im moving out of the east coast id rather be on fire. gently caress.

i moved from tampa into the fire zone and can confirm that a few weeks of poor visibility and weird smells in july is much better than seeing news reports about how your local infrastructure will cease to exist in a few days

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Jose posted:

moving from florida to practically anywhere else in the US would be an improvement though

poo poo outta luck if you picked north carolina apparently

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

morally adept posted:

I'm hoping we're far enough west that we just end up getting a bunch of nice cooling rain.

oh you're gonna get a bunch of rain alright

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I lie how it smashes into the carolinas and then veers back into the atlantic, it'll reform and go for round 2

there was an earlier forecast a few pages back that showed it sitting in that insanely warm water off the coast just long enough to power up into a cat 3 or so and slam into Jacksonville lmao

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

ah yeah that'll do it

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i usually just go with the tomato sauce but sometimes when I'm feeling adventurous I'll try the coal ash dry rub - you need a good moist cut of meat but it really adds a deep flavor

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

lol looks like Helene is gonna gently caress off into the UK, jose is never safe

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Jose posted:

hurricane helene

I hope it scoots right through the channel for max destruction

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

What's the current forecast for rainfall

loads

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I don't know how hurricane categories work so please tell me because I thought categories meant more wind and death

the wind speed fell because the storm got like 50 miles wider, which is gonna bring a lot more rain and storm surge, the parts that are gonna do the real damage. look at the satellite images, it's about half the size of the whole east coast

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

all these people are gonna drown

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Al! posted:

flag is not doing so hot

BRING IT DOWN

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the eye isn't even making landfall until tomorrow. coastal zones are gonna get 40+ hours of sustained, steadily rising storm surge and rain

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Mayor Dave posted:

Bc of the large numbers of poor people who literally do not have vehicles to evacuate in or whose vehicles aren't reliable enough to evacuate in or who don't have the money to pay for travel expenses when they're not getting paid or the ones who work for bosses demanding that they still show up

the rich people with stilted beach houses who imagine they will be fine because they paid for the good insurance package are fair game though

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

after katrina the leadership at every level ate poo poo for, among other things, a fleet of schoolbuses that were left to be flooded instead of being used to transport evacuees

and then nothing changed because that was a 1000-year freak storm that could never happen again right

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

think of the property!!

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Lote posted:

You need a difference in heat to make cold air. The amount of energy produced by a hurricane is huge. From Wikipedia: "Scientists estimate that a tropical cyclone releases heat energy at the rate of 50 to 200 exajoules (10^18 J) per day, equivalent to about 1 PW (1015 watt). This rate of energy release is equivalent to 70 times the world energy consumption of humans and 200 times the worldwide electrical generating capacity, or to exploding a 10-megaton nuclear bomb every 20 minutes."

You would have to basically have a bunch of nuclear reactor powered air conditioners to make enough cold bubbles. These cold bubbles would have to cool down the surface of the water such that it discourages the hurricane, but water temperature isn't the only factor. You're introducing 100% humidity air which turbocharges hurricanes with their moisture.

It would probably be better more feasible to make a gigantic nuclear powered air compressors to blow dry, high pressure air at the hurricane.

what if we got a bunch of planes and flew them through the hurricane the wrong way

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

a civil war is not a humanitarian intervention lmao

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

how much of the carolinas is currently under water

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/jenzhuscott/status/1041248990132490241

at least some good will come of this

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

jesus is the water still rising? Florence is in loving Maine by now

e: https://twitter.com/FayettevillePD/status/1042095795703607299 whole state's hosed

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

*obama voice* if you like the trash blown into your yard by a massive hurricane-flood, you can keep it

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

what’s up with the Cajun navy? Half the time I see them actually trying to help people, and half the time I see them pulling poo poo like this. Is it just the white people rescue arm of the iii%ers?

there's like a dozen different groups calling themselves the cajun navy, it's not exactly a coherent organization. usually just whoever has a boat and feels like taking into flood zones. antifa with boats basically

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

there's another category 4 typhoon in the philippine sea that's currently projected to wreck up taiwan and southern japan

looks like a rough one

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

now That's a Big Wet Cane

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

quote:

This was especially true in light of her taking advantage of a dire situation to solicit money and opioid narcotics from our generous and well intentioned citizens.

was she accepting donations in painkillers lmao

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

lol Trami just got done with Japan and there's already another cat 4 right behind it, hitting this weekend
really seems like the pacific's getting the worst of this hurricane season

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the Miami-FSU game yesterday had an ANDREW GILLUM ABANDONED REGULAR AMERICANS DURING HURRICANE ad running during every single commercial break so it'll be interesting to see what yet another blow to Tallahassee does to that race

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

it's also gonna hit tallahassee and knock out 95% of the power grid, again, because they like their trees and canopy roads too much to trim them and I guess also like their money too much to pay to bury the power lines

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

South Florida can't bury anything unless you want it under water, and that's...not optimal for power lines.

tallahassee is north enough for them to do it, there was a serious discussion about it after I think either Hermine or Matthew last year knocked out the whole county for a week

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

good riddance

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Uncle Wemus posted:

How come this hurricane isnt getting the coverage florence did

florence was a lot slower, had time to get big and scary and for everyone outside the usual hurricane zones to notice it. Most of my family lives in the direct path of this one and i only heard about it on sunday

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

looking forward to every beach i went to as a kid getting completely destroyed and maps of the area needing to be redrawn

rip st george the only good part of florida

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I did a thing posted:

could this one really be worse than katrina? or is the news hype just hype?

it is stronger than katrina in terms of wind speed but there's nowhere on the coast of the panhandle that's below sea level and only kept dry by a series of ancient floodwalls so nothing like that is happening

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

The Nastier Nate posted:

What if you like hunkered down until you were directly in the eye of the hurricane and just followed the eye as the hurricane wrecked poo poo all around you?

you'd have to be going in a basically straight line with just a few miles of deviation before you get wrecked, and decent chance the roads ahead of you are gonna be flooded from the front half of the hurricane

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

gonna be a lot of livestreamed deaths from this one it sounds like

what's the best stream rn

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Hearing Tallahassee may get brushed by the east eyewall :rip:

oh yeah it's hosed

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

how many streamers have died so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Victory Position posted:

do the ads blame the Democrats for creating the hurricane

the ads blame Gillum (and his democrats) for taking a whole week to rebuild the entire power grid after it got knocked out during a cat 2 last year