Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

twoday posted:

With the way these predictions are escalating, pretty soon we will have a permanent Jupiter-esque storm

:yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
dont get bottled water, u will have plenty of free water coming ur way

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Sir Plus posted:

our apartment complex just sent an email reminder that tenants are "covered" by renter's legal liability coverage, which they specifically say does not cover anything related to the storm.

in the same e-mail they remind us to get flameless candles because burning candles is prohibited by our lease.

oh u mean those electric candles? that should do the trick :bravo:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

discoukulele posted:

Where's the best place to donate that'll actually reach people who need it?

why don8

the US government got ur back :grin:

we're the wealthiest country in the world, what makes u think they won't help with the recovery process

we spend all that money on the military budget, we'll be getting military relief right quick

that must mean the waters are super warm and that has nothing to do with global warming

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

it's not getting any money because whitefish mt exists

do u think Zinke is holding his breath right now in anticipation of contract bids for power lines

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

twoday posted:

I turned on Twitter notifications for that hurricane autist, and he’s really freaking me out

https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/status/1039274883291799554

with hurricanes, its always better to prepare for the worst case scenario, something republicans don't do because funding

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

its gonna be a cat 5, warm waters = more power

good luck anyone in the warpath

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Feranon posted:

earth? wants us dead

sun? wants us dead

i hope the moon continues to be nice :(

the moon was a result of something wanting earth dead

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

god have mercy on their souls

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1039945031778361344

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

i think this is going to be a pretty good stream soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deG4NxkouGM

ooo

quoted fer l8r

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

love my super powered hurricanes cruising over the warmest waters because global warming is a hoax invented by the chinese

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
jest w8in fer cat 7 hurricanes to become the new hypernorm

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Vox Nihili posted:

Anyway on the other side of the world, Super Typhoon Mangkhut is now predicted to become the most powerful storm in recorded history.

there was a typhoon that hit then went back out to sea and then reformed to be even stronger in the 70s or 80s

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

how fast does the wind have to be going to sandblast your skin off your bones

it wouldn't blast skin off at 500 mph but you wouldn't ever be able to be upright

Cat 7 hurricanes would have enough wind power to create tornadoes inside it so inshallah thats our future

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

eonwe posted:

is anything above Cat 5 even defined as far as wind speed, and is it possible or is there kind of like a cap on the maximum power a hurricane can get

Cat 5 is the highest ever recorded and they were infrequent, but we are seeing them frequently so the benchmark is if they get past 200mph winds, then they have to label it as a cat 6 at that point

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Crusader posted:

there's a cap based on how hot oceans can get... there's theoretically hurricanes that could throw poo poo into the stratosphere and scour the earth, but you need the boiling water like you can only get from an asteroid impact to drive it

asteroids impact vaporize water before it even makes contact so it'd be pretty wicked sick if the surrounding area created huge hurricane force winds that part the skies along with the tidal surge that wipes out most life and then the remainder chokes on earth dust :q:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

twoday posted:

They literally only measure wind speed and not storm surge or any another factor, so it’s not really a good system

thats what they categorize it on, wind speed so if its above 200 mph i guess they just keep it at cat 5 when it would essentially be another category. 200 is the cap for the system

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Nebakenezzer posted:

The scale is based on expected wind damage to structures, but then some 'spergist on wikipedia defined it on wave and wind speed :argh:

Based on recent small changes (to keep rounding from reclassifying storms) I think they may just scale up the definitions of the categories

*shuffles scientific papers scattered across the room, unable to keep tabs on the whole thing*

uhhh gently caress it, just label it as Hypercane, then Ultracane, then Megacane, or was it the other way around

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

wikipedia has

to say. The categories use wind speed but the categories themselves are based on expected damage to buildings based on that wind speed. Which, as pointed out above, doesnt take storm sturge or other factors into consideration

its really about ethics to muh property damage :qq:

cool that there's scientific basis revolving around that instead of just actually labeling it for wind speed and surge

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
[Quake Announcer Voice over the Weather Channel Broadcast:] Category Six!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

twoday posted:

It’s like if you’re standing in the road and a car is about to crash into you at 70 miles an hour, but then it slows down to 65 and morphs into a hummer

lol

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

succ posted:

Lol Katrina basically happened and no significant changes were made to federal/state/local responses to hurricanes.

https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1039653107922219008

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

this is premeditated murder

here's what the governor said

quote:

“We know the evacuation order I’m issuing will be inconvenient,” McMaster said. “But we’re not going to gamble with the lives of the people of South Carolina. Not a one.”

:ironicat:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Phone posted:

"health of the hurricane"

you gotta put it aside

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Those people who stay behind are going to appreciate the destructive power anyways, "downgraded" or not

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

yer at a hospital

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Jose posted:

wait florence isn't even going to be a hurricane on landfall now? what a let down

requoting this analogy cos ppl are dim

twoday posted:

It’s like if you’re standing in the road and a car is about to crash into you at 70 miles an hour, but then it slows down to 65 and morphs into a hummer

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I want to see that American flag torn to shreds by the end of the day.

it will persevere :911:

no thanks

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Agean90 posted:

I hope it turns back into a category 5

if you have any super tech that can vaporize ocean water, now is the time

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Crusader posted:

hello friends

you call that downgraded?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

these poor souls having the time of their lives :allears:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
i bet these party goers are blaring Rock You Like A Hurricane by Scorpions

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:cheers:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

triple sulk posted:

i will soon be forced to LOG OFF

god bless

do what I did during the hurricane, charge your phone and phone post until the battery dies

cos you will be bored without electricity

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

flag is not doing so hot

:yeshaha:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
people seem to think hurricanes are fast in this thread

they're titans and as such are slow, it takes hoooours for them to reach and when they do, they bring torrential rain and enormous wind speed

its going to be a marathon weekend

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

cover the whole state inshallah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!