Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

byob historian posted:

what coastal towns? this nc not sc fam

lol yeah there's like what 5 places east of 95 with more than 50k people

apart from the coasts which are gonna be evacuated today and tomorrow it's nothing but farmland, wildlife refuges, and military bases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Disaster response better, worse, or on par with Puerto Rico?

trump cancelled about $800 million in requested aid for nc after matthew

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

slippery doc posted:

Trump is going to look at the electoral map permanently posted in the oval office, see that the Carolinas voted for him, then press a button on his desk and say "give them whatever they need". Button may or may not be an intercom.

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-hurricane-matthew-relief-north-carolina-607803

quote:

After Hurricane Matthew slammed into North Carolina last October, triggering evacuations and killing more than 20 people, state officials went to the federal government for help. The state asked for $929 million, most of which would go toward initiatives like fixing homes damaged by flooding, supporting farmers who lost livestock and funding mental health services for survivors.

This week, the state discovered it was likely getting $6.1 million—less than 1 percent of the amount requested.

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/article173591841.html

quote:

More than $130 million in federal disaster relief funds is being withheld from North Carolina amid a deluge of claims from victims of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, according to the director of the state’s emergency management department.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Poniard posted:

toxic hog poo poo lagoon hurricane death

saw them open for morbid angel at the carrier dome in 97

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bip Roberts posted:

a soupy pig poo poo brew

that's the key ingredient of alabama white sauce

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
hey guys don't forget in addition to the hog lagoon slurry, coal ash, phosphate-heavy agricultural runoff, and algal blooms, there's dupont's genx chemical spills plus whatever the gently caress's in the water at the marine bases that gave all those people cancer for several decades

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

Yeah, after sandy lots of poor coastal regions were obliterated and have since been replaced with beachfront McMansions protected by sand walls, it’s wonderful

not on the coast in nc. all we got are dune fences and some scrub vegetation

which is actually better than any sort of seawall

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Agean90 posted:

also barrier islands. Nature's sea wall, with the added bonus of being able to laugh at rich idiots who build the homes on a island who's ecological role is ablative armor for marshland

it'll be fun seeing where new inlets get cut

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shear Modulus posted:

wait so did it go from 4 to 5 in like an hour

that eric holthaus guy is like the louise mensch of hurricane fetishists

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Phone posted:

Florence, you're gay

my sources say category 6 hypercane being considered for wilmington. i'm pro life and take no pleasure in reporting this

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

zegermans posted:

NC deserves all of this and it owns

yeah it's mostly black folks and hispanic migrant farmers and livestock plant workers that are in the direct path of all the flooding and toxic waste that poo poo rules they totally loving got owned those losers

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

zegermans posted:

maybe the destruction of their livelyhood will make them leave that mistake of a state

lol never change zegermans

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Phone posted:

sharknado vs florence

who would win

poseidon rex

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

thatsapenis.gif

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
think i'll stick with the daily stormer, thanks

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

lol at mandatory evacuation in virginia and South carolina only

it's handled at the county level in nc and they've all issued it

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

I know people that live in Charlotte and Boston. Are they going to die

they're already dead inside

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

anonumos posted:

but I'm really hoping that Florence will wipe Raleigh off the map and NC is forced to move the capital to Charlotte.

:chloe:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Harvey was only 80 some dead though. If it does not landfall at cat 4-5 then the danger is flooding, and in general not that many die from floods they know are coming since you need to be trapped in some way to avoid rescue completely. Like in that warning list earlier, it's people in cars, the elderly, and children most at risk since grown adults can often clamber into a roof or something and avoid actually dying.

So hopefully he is right.

also houston has like 5x the population of eastern nc

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

Yeah but the Brunswick nuclear power plant will probably kill another hundred plus all the excess cancer deaths in the next decade

honestly it's a race between that and heart disease, diabetes or stroke

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ikanreed posted:

Hell, tiny baby Fran was only a 3 and managed to do that way inland

i came back after isabel which was only a cat 2 and our pear tree was lying on its side with the entire root ball attached

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Algund Eenboom posted:

The population of north carolina's eastern coastal plain is majority black and poor, so not surprising to see c-spam cheerleading for as much death as possible

tbf the immediate coast isn't and that's mostly yankee retirees so if they go it's no big loss

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
wonder what's going on in the sc governor's office right now since they lifted the evacuation orders for everything south of charleston yesterday

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i wonder what wacky track the forecast models will have it taking tomorrow

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Both BoJangles and Cookout kinda suck, HTH

well yeah it's cheap fast food idk what you were expecting

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
zaxby's sounds like one of those dystopian corporations with a stupid name from tim & eric that is wholly unpleasant and produces nothing of value

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Wasn't Sandy a tropical storm by the time it bitch-slapped NJ/NY?

there's essentially no coastal building regs up there

on top of that nj which has a coastline similar to the southeast put up a bunch of concrete seawalls which made things worse because they negate the effect barrier islands have on dissipating wave energy plus they trap storm surge water in the estuaries immediately to the west

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
most of the deaths are probably gonna come from flooding in like west virginia or pennsylvania after the storm moves north early next week

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pepperoneedy posted:

Aw gently caress I was in Ocracoke this time last year. That island is flat as a pancake. They've no chance.

a cat 2 directly hit ocracoke 15 years ago and until I just told you, you had no idea

they'll be fine

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Don Pigeon posted:

actually these are people whose families have lived there for 17 generations and they have protective ancient spells they cast to ward off the storms, unlike us effeminate liberal dingbatters

12ft storm surge is just a super mommocked hoi toide

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

How big was it?

it killed 22 people in va and set their all time flood record

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

Sounds like it loving sucked, op

it did. a pear tree in my back yard got ripped straight out the ground

it looked like someone dug it up roots and all and set it on its side

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

So why are you like "It won't be so bad, y'all don't know" when another hurricane royally hosed up that area 15 years ago? Are you like a hurricane hipster? Sure, everybody knows Florence is bad, but let me tell you about this hurricane you probably haven't heard of.

i'm saying it didn't royally gently caress up that area despite being bad enough to uproot my tree

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Is Ocracoke that island where everybody speaks that awesome sounding English dialect?

one of them yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csfyrRqc5TU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

slinkimalinki posted:

Wapo just copy posted half a wikipedia about New Bern's historic buildings/ stomach improving drinks because I guess you take your copy where you can get it

did they mention the colonial houses are like a few blocks away from depression era shotgun shacks

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Why did New Bern get turbofucked but it seems everywhere else is pretty chill?

it sits at the confluence of two rivers that happened to be where the storm surge was worst

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

because a synonym for flood plain is "near a river"

it turns out those things are useful, if you would like to move things from point A to point B, and also would like to not die of thirst

also have food

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

zegermans posted:

practical question: how hard is it to kick out your roof boards if you're stuck in an attic

significantly easier after the wind's ripped all the roofing shingles off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lastgirl posted:

ya

hurricanes are titans, they're not fast

its a marathon destruction event~

yep the real catastrophic flooding isn't happening until next week when the storm's long gone

and then there's whatever happens in appalachia when it turns north