Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Grem posted:

Spend less on watches.

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
How many watches did you sell this month, OP?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Buy the watch.

This is a horologist.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I'm not buying or selling any watches.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
well, it's been a month since your first post, how has it gone

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

metallicaeg posted:

I'm not buying or selling any watches.

You are going to be poor forever so you can have a box of decorative watches? In 2018?

Murderknobs: Booze/Alcoholism
Zuarg: Bitcoins
Blue Story: Star Wars crap
Cornholio: stupid cars
DogsCantBudget: Someone to pick up his dog poop for him so he could impress his neighbors
SloMo: Drugs and Opera
You: Watches

I'm not sure which of those is the dumbest to be honest.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Droo posted:

You are going to be poor forever so you can have a box of decorative watches? In 2018?

DogsCantBudget: Someone to pick up his dog poop for him so he could impress his neighbors

You forgot basil

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Droo posted:

much worse than that. he's got a get out of jail free card that he can use right now and keep the watches and it's even the right thing to do. instead he's going to keep the poverty and the watches because using the card feelsbadman

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Droo posted:

If selling the lot would have me cleared of debt I'd have done so yesterday. But I don't see much point in clearing house on them when I'd knock off ~5% of my total debt. Half of what I have I've owned for years and they're in the condition that reflects that, and they weren't all that expensive to begin with. You all keep jumping on this watch-selling bandwagon as if I've got thousands and thousands of dollars of value in them. I don't.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

metallicaeg posted:

If selling the lot would have me cleared of debt I'd have done so yesterday. But I don't see much point in clearing house on them when I'd knock off ~5% of my total debt. Half of what I have I've owned for years and they're in the condition that reflects that, and they weren't all that expensive to begin with. You all keep jumping on this watch-selling bandwagon as if I've got thousands and thousands of dollars of value in them. I don't.

Sell them, pay off car, declare bankruptcy as soon as you are done?

Edit: also get a brain morn

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

metallicaeg posted:

It's not really about the watches, it's about the fact that your broken brain kept buying stupid useless poo poo as you dug a financial hole that is going to take you 5 years to get out of. If you can't figure that out and fix your brain then you are going to be poor until you die.

Like how on hoarders they make the broken brain people choose things to throw away themselves before they just start filling dumpsters full of crap.

Zaurg won't sell the dumb thing he bought, his brain is still broken too. He just happens to be earning enough money right now to delay his inevitable disastrous outcome for a while longer.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Also what did your bankruptcy lawyer recommend?

The question is probably loaded but whatever.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

metallicaeg posted:

You refuse to look into bankruptcy (file for bankruptcy) so the next best thing is selling stuff you don't need.

Watches are absolutely something you don't need.

quote:

I say that I have things under control. If you would have asked me a year ago, I would have said the same. If you would have asked me two years ago, I would have said it again. It's $40,000 of loving credit cards. I'm only putting $20 a week into my 401k and my employer is only tossing on an extra $5 to that.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Have you tried digging further down into the well, OP?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Seem like we're getting to :wellpiss: in this thread too.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Droo posted:

Can someone linke the Murderknobs thread? Haven't heard of that one.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Power of Pecota posted:

Can someone linke the Murderknobs thread? Haven't heard of that one.

This is the third, final, and best one.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Without a doubt all of those posters would be better off if they listened to BFCs advice, especially when the advice is near unanimous.

So

declare bankruptcy and stop being a dumbshit, dumbshit.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
At the very least schedule a free consultation with one to go over the basics; like how to go about keeping your car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
At least the opera has cultural value unlike a bunch of overpriced mass produced consumer baubles

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

metallicaeg posted:

In the spirit of zaurg and slow motion, here's another thread where I lay out my situation and then fail to take the advice within.

Ask me questions, poke holes in my budget, help me to learn what I have got wrong so I can end this poo poo that has consumed my entire adult life.

So should we assume that you've given up, OP, since you got given advice but it wasn't the advice you wanted and now you're going to ignore this thread and convince yourself that whatever scheme you've cooked up is the right one (like all your others before)?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Weatherman posted:

So should we assume that you've given up, OP, since you got given advice but it wasn't the advice you wanted and now you're going to ignore this thread and convince yourself that whatever scheme you've cooked up is the right one (like all your others before)?

Give him a break, he is busy researching all the upcoming Black Friday watch sales.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Droo posted:

It's not really about the watches, it's about the fact that your broken brain kept buying stupid useless poo poo as you dug a financial hole that is going to take you 5 years to get out of. If you can't figure that out and fix your brain then you are going to be poor until you die.
I know! And I'm trying to fix the broken brain by not contributing to the hole further, and beyond that getting myself to consistently tell myself "no, this item is not needed for x reasons" rather than trying to justify things to myself for the wrong reasons.

Raldikuk posted:

At the very least schedule a free consultation with one to go over the basics; like how to go about keeping your car.
I've been dragging my feet on it but I intend to do so.

Weatherman posted:

If by giving up you mean not having a fire sale on any and all assets that I have then yes, I'd be giving up.

Spokes posted:

well, it's been a month since your first post, how has it gone
Thanks for asking! It's been going reasonably well I think. The biggest objective for me with this thread was to gain some further perspective, continue the indefinite hold on unnecessary spending, and obtain an alteration to my thinking when it comes to money, credit, and consumer goods.

While I'm still mulling over bankruptcy, that itself doesn't fix what caused all of this in the first place. It fixes the desperation of having $100 in interest charges push a $4950 balance over the 5k limit just to make a $150 payment and do the same thing on 4 other accounts the next month. But it doesn't fix the spending that got me to that point. It doesn't fix buying a bottle of whiskey telling myself I want to try something new when I already have 9 bottles in the house. It doesn't fix buying a box of cigars because they're deeply discounted this weekend with free shipping and a free lighter thrown in when I already have a year or more worth of smokes on hand. It doesn't fix dropping $100 on a handful of movies during Criterion's 50% off sale that they do 2-3 times a year when I have a stack of a few dozen movies to burn through in the 'to-watch' pile. It doesn't fix buying that grill/griddle with included waffle irons that'll sit unused but I wanted it and it hasn't been priced this low on Amazon in the last 9 months.

So yeah. Bankruptcy would wash away debt and allow me to properly save money now as opposed to grinding away at the debt and doing so 2-3 years later instead. But would I? How would I treat a clean slate? I don't know. Would I end up in the same spot 5 years from now?

But this past month has been good. I've been tempted on the usual items and I've said no and not given in. It's been one month. I've had expenses that briefly put me just over $40k total like quite a large grocery run (which a fairly empty kitchen left me eating out and spending way more than I should have been) and some maintenance items on my car for inspection. But that month has been a good month, and the same end of year goal I set last month to finish 2018 under $36k, dropping ~$4k from September through the end of December is still entirely feasible if I continue to not be an idiot. And it would be the first time I could say in a decade that I made a real effort, pulled through, and actually cut ~10% off of my total debt.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

metallicaeg posted:

If by giving up you mean not having a fire sale on any and all assets that I have then yes, I'd be giving up.

That's not what I meant and you know it, but :downsbravo: on your effort to become the next zaurg I guess.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Grinding down your debt won't make you change your habits.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

metallicaeg posted:

While I'm still mulling over bankruptcy, that itself doesn't fix what caused all of this in the first place. It fixes the desperation of having $100 in interest charges push a $4950 balance over the 5k limit just to make a $150 payment and do the same thing on 4 other accounts the next month. But it doesn't fix the spending that got me to that point. It doesn't fix buying a bottle of whiskey telling myself I want to try something new when I already have 9 bottles in the house. It doesn't fix buying a box of cigars because they're deeply discounted this weekend with free shipping and a free lighter thrown in when I already have a year or more worth of smokes on hand. It doesn't fix dropping $100 on a handful of movies during Criterion's 50% off sale that they do 2-3 times a year when I have a stack of a few dozen movies to burn through in the 'to-watch' pile. It doesn't fix buying that grill/griddle with included waffle irons that'll sit unused but I wanted it and it hasn't been priced this low on Amazon in the last 9 months.

So yeah. Bankruptcy would wash away debt and allow me to properly save money now as opposed to grinding away at the debt and doing so 2-3 years later instead. But would I? How would I treat a clean slate? I don't know. Would I end up in the same spot 5 years from now?

But this past month has been good. I've been tempted on the usual items and I've said no and not given in. It's been one month. I've had expenses that briefly put me just over $40k total like quite a large grocery run (which a fairly empty kitchen left me eating out and spending way more than I should have been) and some maintenance items on my car for inspection. But that month has been a good month, and the same end of year goal I set last month to finish 2018 under $36k, dropping ~$4k from September through the end of December is still entirely feasible if I continue to not be an idiot. And it would be the first time I could say in a decade that I made a real effort, pulled through, and actually cut ~10% off of my total debt.

You doing the wrong thing on purpose in order to teach yourself a lesson is not how you get to be your brain to be less broken, but it's definitely how we get more zaurgposting so you do you

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

metallicaeg posted:

But it doesn't fix the spending that got me to that point. It doesn't fix buying a bottle of whiskey telling myself I want to try something new when I already have 9 bottles in the house. It doesn't fix buying a box of cigars because they're deeply discounted this weekend with free shipping and a free lighter thrown in when I already have a year or more worth of smokes on hand. It doesn't fix dropping $100 on a handful of movies during Criterion's 50% off sale that they do 2-3 times a year when I have a stack of a few dozen movies to burn through in the 'to-watch' pile. It doesn't fix buying that grill/griddle with included waffle irons that'll sit unused but I wanted it and it hasn't been priced this low on Amazon in the last 9 months.

Why do you think telling yourself not to buy things is easier when you have $40k in credit card debt instead of no debt and a bankruptcy filing, which is a reset button you can only push once every few years, so there would be no more ways out if you screw up again?

Also unsubscribe from all of the garbage ad emails you are getting.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Adar posted:

You doing the wrong thing on purpose in order to teach yourself a lesson is not how you get to be your brain to be less broken, but it's definitely how we get more zaurgposting so you do you

You said it better than I could

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

cancel your amazon account bro

you are honestly a very good case for cash in envelopes budgeting

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

metallicaeg posted:

But this past month has been good. I've been tempted on the usual items and I've said no and not given in.

I notice across all forms of media these days that people have turned the weasel up to 11, and are making sure to very carefully word their statements so that they can :airquote:truthfully:airquote: say the opposite of actual reality/their actions/their responsibility, so I'm reading the above sentence in the same way, and I have to ask: You were tempted on unusual items though, and spent money on them, didn't you?

metallicaeg posted:

I've had expenses that briefly put me just over $40k total like quite a large grocery run (which a fairly empty kitchen left me eating out and spending way more than I should have been)

And this is another example, in which one finds oneself a victim of circumstances and things would have come up Milhouse if only pesky other factors hadn't shoved themselves in the way!
You could have phrased it "a large grocery run, because I didn't take the time to plan some meals and put some stuff in the freezer", etc., but that would be admitting fault, so.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but that's what most BFC helpseekers do and the trajectory of this thread sucks so far.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Weatherman posted:

Sorry if this sounds harsh but that's what most BFC helpseekers do and the trajectory of this thread sucks so far.

its actually good because zurg thread sucks now and we need a replacement

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
You must really love making money for banks instead of saving money for yourself. Good on you for not giving into the bankruptcy-industrial complex and keeping interest rates low for all of us by grinding yourself to the bone while trying (and failing) to avoid living like a complete consumer whore.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I don't feel any need to change from you so honestly just don't. Or sink long enough until you've realized you've stopped and have to rise up

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Raldikuk posted:

I did a thing today, and it was this

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

metallicaeg posted:

I did a thing today, and it was this

And? What did you learn?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Square Peg posted:

And? What did you learn?

Haven't had the consultation yet, only requested one. I've got so many questions.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
I can't sell the watches because they match my horse

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

metallicaeg posted:

Haven't had the consultation yet, only requested one. I've got so many questions.

So do we, OP. So do we.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Weatherman posted:

So do we, OP. So do we.

~*LITERALLY*~ just got off the phone with lawyer #2 as #1 never got back to me for a consultation.

I'm going to have to wait a bit to file, as the biggest balance I have is the card I was transferring balances to for consolidation, and I have to wait at least 90 days since my last transfer to not have it considered to be fraudulent.

The car lien will be fine, my accounts otherwise with that CU will be terminated so the worst that'll happen is that I'll have to call in payments or write checks which I haven't done in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I'm happy for you, this is a good step.