Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

metallicaeg posted:

Thanks all for the input.

I'm still mulling over bankruptcy, and I think my biggest obstacle to that is the car loan. I've read from a few bankruptcy lawyers online that credit unions typically close all accounts upon notice of a bankruptcy, and not only is the car loan through a credit union, it's through one where I also have that $27k card balance. So if I went down that route I'm assuming I'd have to find a way to pay that off to get the title clear first before filing.

Goon above says you have $3k in watches there, and owe ~$3.6k on your car loan. Done.

Also, try consulting a bankruptcy attorney instead of reading Bob Loblaw's Law Blog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

metallicaeg posted:

If selling the lot would have me cleared of debt I'd have done so yesterday. But I don't see much point in clearing house on them when I'd knock off ~5% of my total debt. Half of what I have I've owned for years and they're in the condition that reflects that, and they weren't all that expensive to begin with. You all keep jumping on this watch-selling bandwagon as if I've got thousands and thousands of dollars of value in them. I don't.

You refuse to look into bankruptcy (file for bankruptcy) so the next best thing is selling stuff you don't need.

Watches are absolutely something you don't need.

quote:

I say that I have things under control. If you would have asked me a year ago, I would have said the same. If you would have asked me two years ago, I would have said it again. It's $40,000 of loving credit cards. I'm only putting $20 a week into my 401k and my employer is only tossing on an extra $5 to that.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

metallicaeg posted:

But it doesn't fix the spending that got me to that point. It doesn't fix buying a bottle of whiskey telling myself I want to try something new when I already have 9 bottles in the house. It doesn't fix buying a box of cigars because they're deeply discounted this weekend with free shipping and a free lighter thrown in when I already have a year or more worth of smokes on hand. It doesn't fix dropping $100 on a handful of movies during Criterion's 50% off sale that they do 2-3 times a year when I have a stack of a few dozen movies to burn through in the 'to-watch' pile. It doesn't fix buying that grill/griddle with included waffle irons that'll sit unused but I wanted it and it hasn't been priced this low on Amazon in the last 9 months.

Why do you think telling yourself not to buy things is easier when you have $40k in credit card debt instead of no debt and a bankruptcy filing, which is a reset button you can only push once every few years, so there would be no more ways out if you screw up again?

Also unsubscribe from all of the garbage ad emails you are getting.