Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

XCOM 2?

To be specific, the PS4 version including War of the Chosen, Shen's Last Gift, and Alien Rulers. I've played plenty of times on PC, but Grace is seeing this for the first time! As a result we're playing with the Tutorial and Lost And Abandoned turned on. The rest of the DLC will be integrated since The Nest and The Lost Towers are cool and all, but get awkward when you're trying to juggle everything

We're playing on Commander difficulty, and since the game hard crashed twice while I was testing, we'll be foregoing Ironman and playing Honestman mode :v: Grace could never resist roasting me for eternity if I dared savescum so don't worry, you're in good hands.

I should also mention I've never actually finished a Commander difficulty game so there's a very real possibility of us blowing it and dooming Earth.

Drinking Game?

That's right, XCOM 2 wasn't difficult enough, so I'm buying the most bitter beers I can find, and drinking on the following conditions:

-Drink if XCOM misses
-Drink if XCOM panics
-Drink if an XCOM soldier goes into bleedout
-Drink once per rank if an XCOM soldier dies (one for rookie, two for squaddie, etc)
-Drink if a civilian dies

The civilian condition includes Resistance members, VIPs, as well as the shameful narcs running around in Advent cities. We're here to SAVE humans after all, keep those grenades on a leash :colbert: The drinking conditions start once we officially take control of XCOM. I'm not being punished for Bradford's lovely commanding :argh: Dude's great at planning stuff but always gets most of the squad killed when he does a tutorial.

Episodes:

Playlist

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 1 - Punished Bradford
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 2 - Save The Pandas
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 3 - It's Not Magic, It's Robots
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 4 - I'm Sick Of Getting Stabbed
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 5 - Bad Time
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 6 - Oops! All Snipers
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 7 - Sweet Kelly And Hella Zhuang
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 8 - Overwatch Queen
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 9 - Why Are They Not Missing
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 10 - gently caress
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 11 - Where Do You Think YOU'RE Going?
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 12 - Chicken Tenders And/Or Panda Pictures
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 13 - She So Fast, She So Sneak
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 14 - Railfence
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 15 - Oh Dear
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 16 - Timelines
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 17 - God I Hate These Robots
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 18 - Unhelpful Belch
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 19 - It's Him
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 20 - Berzerker Has One Move, And It's Punch
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 21 - You Actual Buffoon
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 22 - Dan And Grace Shoot Zombies For Too drat Long
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 23 - Dan And Grace Continue Shooting Zombies For Too drat Long
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 24 - She Hated That
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 25 - Purifier Greg
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 26 - He's So Spooped
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 27 - Eternally Pregnant Sac
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 28 - Oh Yeah
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 29 - Pretty Worse
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 30 - The [E]nd Of XCOM (Part 1)

Danaru fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I would did of alcohol poisoning if I played these rules because
I am oriental
Have fun!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Should be a fun (over)watch!

I'm kinda sad my last XCOM:EW campaign reached a dead-end because I early on had a recruit from Japan called Hideo Kojima. :(

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Please don't die
:ohdear:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

You're all going to die, please reconsider!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You should have a shot of espresso when a civvie dies. At least the ones in the city. Dirty collaborating traitors...

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Danaru posted:

-Drink if XCOM misses

Oh dear. I thought the pathetic rookie aim on Gatecrasher was bad enough as-is.

Please tell me all the soldiers are named after red pandas and stuffed animals.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 11, 2018

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Can't believe you aren't using the rule I suggested.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i am just popping in here to say that you're already dead.

like this isn't even a fist of the north star reference, you are literally already dead with this ruleset.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I've been waiting for this since I saw you tweeting about it.

Livers are quite cheap on the organ black market. Just putting this out there.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

-Drink if XCOM misses
-Drink if XCOM panics

DAN NO! DON'T! STOP!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
RIP Danaru & Grace

They died before they could post the second update.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
As if 9-11 hadn't killed enough Americans!

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
At least get rid of the "miss" one. The rest you can work around, that one will just break you.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yeah bookmarking this. Going to be fun watching you guys drink yourselves to death.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
This is so insane that I'd never do it. And I like doing positively insane things. Cheers!

**only partly because I have a low tolerance for alcohol since I basically never drink and get a buzz off half a lite beer, so I'd be in a coma within a half-hour of gameplay**

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Commander! You may want to instruct your men to exercise restraint when using explosives...

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Super psyched for this: I love XCOM and also your drunken antics, so this should be an excellent combination.

I hope you favor maneuvering for close-range flanking shots, or else the rookies are going to absolutely murder you with alcohol.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Are you going to do several missions in a row or just one per day?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Affi posted:

Are you going to do several missions in a row or just one per day?

We usually start recording, then continue recording for the rest of the night until I either get too drunk or too sleepy to continue. The amount of episodes vary depending on how much I end up drinking or what kind of shifts I've been working lately :v:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Is this your first Commander run? This will be extra fun if so.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Is this your first Commander run? This will be extra fun if so.

It is! My run through of Normal had a ton of zero-injury missions so that would make for a boring drinking game. Sure it would have been smart to do a run through of Commander beforehand but if I made good decisions, this thread wouldn't exist.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Commander is a nice comfortable difficulty, it's what I did the first time I played the game and there were some pretty scary moments. But when you flip things around and everything falls into place, it's great fun without being too obnoxious like with Legendary.

Also drinking every time you miss a shot? I better not see scopes on everyone! You should take two drinks if you miss a 98% or 99%.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Crosspeice posted:

Also drinking every time you miss a shot? I better not see scopes on everyone! You should take two drinks if you miss a 98% or 99%.

I'd endorse this if it didn't mean risking indictment.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Crosspeice posted:

Drinks = 30 - (100-(hit percentage))

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Danaru posted:

It is! My run through of Normal had a ton of zero-injury missions so that would make for a boring drinking game. Sure it would have been smart to do a run through of Commander beforehand but if I made good decisions, this thread wouldn't exist.

Make a MEC!

They’re unlocked immediately upon getting a proving ground with integrated DLC. You don’t need to meet Julian or anything.

And it will save your rear end early on.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

That's right, XCOM 2 wasn't difficult enough, so I'm buying the most bitter beers I can find, and drinking on the following conditions:

-Drink if XCOM misses
-Drink if XCOM panics
-Drink if an XCOM soldier goes into bleedout
-Drink once per rank if an XCOM soldier dies (one for rookie, two for squaddie, etc)

The misses alone will kill you

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Maybe Danaru is an absolute champion guys c'mon

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

quote:

-Drink if XCOM misses
An all grenade run, I see

Billzasilver fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 12, 2018

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

drat Bradford did you smoke 10 packs a day everyday for 20 years? That is one gravelly voice.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
If you're careful you won't have more then a few misses per mission. How do you people play the game? Flank, blow up cover, get close. Never ever plink away at poo poo in full cover.

Terror missions will be an absolute bitch though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Affi posted:

If you're careful you won't have more then a few misses per mission. How do you people play the game? Flank, blow up cover, get close. Never ever plink away at poo poo in full cover.

quote:

I'm all in on shredstorms too friend but between that and overwatch traps taking a poo poo especially when specters start bumbling in they're in for a rough time, especially early on where your shots aren't nearly that guaranteed even on a flank.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 2 - Save The Pandas

I haven't 100% decided on an episode schedule since, for example, I have seven shifts and zero days off this week, but I want to get this one out since the drinking conditions are in full effect now.

Also note that Grace had a mouthful of sangria and got drunk enough to start singing early 90s music and forgot which game we're LPing, which is why I'm the only one doing the drinking conditions.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Wait, so you guys are drinking on missed overwatch attacks? That seems a bit... excessive.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Wait, so you guys are drinking on missed overwatch attacks? That seems a bit... excessive.

If it's a miss, it's a drink :colbert: I considered counting grazing shots at misses too.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Danaru posted:

If it's a miss, it's a drink :colbert: I considered counting grazing shots at misses too.

You are going to die, please be careful!!

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I like the reaction to "drinking on misses is too much" is "what if I drank after grazes."

What about using drinks to purchase things? Don't drink on a miss, drink x to be allowed to throw a grenade, drink y to use chain shot. Weigh the advantages against the loss of brain power.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I like the reaction to "drinking on misses is too much" is "what if I drank after grazes."

What about using drinks to purchase things? Don't drink on a miss, drink x to be allowed to throw a grenade, drink y to use chain shot. Weigh the advantages against the loss of brain power.

That's just optimizing toward sub-optimal play and savescumming.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
It’s kinda funny how DoomGirl died standing right next to high cover. Also too bad she was your heavy! Hope you can get a new one soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You can do it Dan, you can save the world. Do it for him

(from the cute thread)