Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

They did get a breakthrough that halved the cost of workshops, so it's actually worthwhile to build one. Pro strat is probably something like GTS or Ring first, then the other one, Comms, Power, Training Room or Proving Grounds. Then progress as preferred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah plus that bonus to excav reduction time should get us a few more facility slots pretty quickly. Dan did good.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SSNeoman posted:

Dan did good.

No one has ever said this about any of our LPs and I'm reasonably sure no one will believe you

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 7 - Sweet Kelly And Hella Zhuang

This is the final episode of that session, and I promise that between sessions we learned how to pronounce "Zhuang" properly. Grace also forgot immediately after I told him but at least I start pronouncing it right.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Man I should play this game sometime. Once my head stops constantly hurting.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
You're gonna regret not throwing that grenade near the car.

Zhuang should have gone out like a hero

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

CaptainScraps posted:

You're gonna regret not throwing that grenade near the car.

Zhuang should have gone out like a hero

And not score those sweet crits?

drat not having the Ring loving hurts.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SSNeoman posted:

It is figuratively killing me :negative: also given the pace we're playing it's actually really hard to tell whether I'm falling behind or not and it's making me super antsy. I'm pretty sure I'm not but boy howdy it feels like I am.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

SSNeoman posted:

And not score those sweet crits?

It's not about winning, it's about how you win man. YOLO

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 8 - Overwatch Queen

I take it back, weakness to explosives owns

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Hello, I am Eva Vorobyova, and I sell propane and propane accessories.

(Sorry for the quick hack job. And I will not apologise for this.)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah Dragunova's Claymore will probably wreck the Assassin's poo poo.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Danaru posted:

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 8 - Overwatch Queen

Explosion vulnerability is probably the best weakness to see. Grenades are real strong.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
drat it Danaru, yer not scandinavian or russian, yer liver cannot handle this booze of this magnitude.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Nalesh posted:

drat it Danaru, yer not scandinavian or russian, yer liver cannot handle this booze of this magnitude.

I'm Canadian, my liver was forged by ice and fire :colbert:

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 9 - Why Are They Not Missing

Thank god we're finally getting some missions that give out Avenger crew :froggonk:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

Don't forget that you too have a weakness to explosives in real life.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

The shot hit percentage in the end of mission summary is nonsense: I have definitely missed shots and then seen 100.00%. Pretty sure it's the number of hits (including overwatches) divided by the number of times you used the shoot command (excluding overwatches). I don't know if the developers don't care about the bug because it's so minor vs the trouble of tracking the number of ovrewatches that actually went off, or if they want it that way to make your hit rate less depressing.

Edit: you guys need to start nicknaming people. It's a core part of the XCOM experience.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 27, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
They made Bradford such a... gruff daddy

wow

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

CirclMastr posted:

Don't forget that you too have a weakness to explosives in real life.

Everything is weak to explosives, if they weren't you didn't use enough.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Dan did you mean to reenact a famous scene from Gundam when finishing that mission or was it just coincidence?

(For those who don't know what I'm talking about since I'm outing myself as a huge nerd by knowing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJN4-dZBNa4)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

EDIT: Disregard this post didn't realize power rooms can take two engis. Dan is a better and smarter man than I am. Just build a power room under that workshop, upgrade both facilities and you are gold.

If you can get like two-three more engis you might wanna dedicate them to excavating the place out so that you can replace that excav order with something else. Also if you can get PSI Lab research up, the spot in the bottom right has its name on it. That's 10 power you don't need.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 27, 2018

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Nalesh posted:

Everything is weak to explosives, if they weren't you didn't use enough.

This includes Chosen that are immune to explosives, btw.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Have you considered posting a picture and brief preview of what you plan to be drinking?
Also I don't think I've seen a single beer that both advertised how strong it was and also wasn't garbage that tasted like battery acid

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I love beer and I can tell if Dan just picks bad beer or if it’s really poo poo

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Since it’s Dan, I think the answer here is yes.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
He sounded remarkably sober in this one

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 10 - gently caress

:xcom:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Tried to get too sneaky, I guess. When there's no timer I always just do my best to systematically move down the middle of the map and exterminate the enemy piecemeal. Squad size is really killing you, though. Elena's great but I'm not sure her stealth is worth losing 25% of your combat power to swap a fighting soldier for her.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Akratic Method posted:

Tried to get too sneaky, I guess. When there's no timer I always just do my best to systematically move down the middle of the map and exterminate the enemy piecemeal. Squad size is really killing you, though. Elena's great but I'm not sure her stealth is worth losing 25% of your combat power to swap a fighting soldier for her.

Last time I played this, I got the entire team across the map, blew up the wall, had Elena snatch the vial, and everyone bailed while Advent was still trying to get over to me. I tried to do the same thing here which is why I insisted on bringing Zhuang. Unfortunately the MEC drove him inside and then the rest of it happened. :(

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

drat that was a rough one :(

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

loving hell :stare:

This went really bad. Did you gently caress it up or just get really really bad RNG?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Leaving the whole team trapped between two enemy patrols and in sight of a turret with high ground, and deciding to go "gently caress it just put everyone in overwatch" was probably the turning point of the mission.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Mikl posted:

This went really bad. Did you gently caress it up or just get really really bad RNG?

XCOM is all about controlling encounters and winning on action economy. When he saw those first two pods he should have picked one to engage and positioned so that he could fight one group without the other groups noticing. Instead he moved forward until he was stuck between four enemy groups and triggered all of them simultaneously. So now he's got his team's four actions a turn up against an enemy group with nine actions a turn = game over man, game over.

Trying to stealth the mission is an interesting approach but it's a small crowded map and you can take as long as you want with no time pressure so it's probably better to just systematically eliminate the enemy pods. Oh well, there's always more soldiers!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CirclMastr posted:

Leaving the whole team trapped between two enemy patrols and in sight of a turret with high ground, and deciding to go "gently caress it just put everyone in overwatch" was probably the turning point of the mission.

Two of my dudes were already in sight so if I moved them, they would have blown our cover anyway

Wicked Them Beats posted:

XCOM is all about controlling encounters and winning on action economy. When he saw those first two pods he should have picked one to engage and positioned so that he could fight one group without the other groups noticing. Instead he moved forward until he was stuck between four enemy groups and triggered all of them simultaneously. So now he's got his team's four actions a turn up against an enemy group with nine actions a turn = game over man, game over.

Trying to stealth the mission is an interesting approach but it's a small crowded map and you can take as long as you want with no time pressure so it's probably better to just systematically eliminate the enemy pods. Oh well, there's always more soldiers!

You're on my list

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Mikl posted:

This disastrous episode was obviously deliberate, to show us that this game is not a stealth game. Very rarely, the stars will align and and you can make it work, but generally you're gonna get surrounded and swarmed.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

aegof posted:

This disastrous episode was obviously deliberate, to show us that this game is not a stealth game. Very rarely, the stars will align and and you can make it work, but generally you're gonna get surrounded and swarmed.

It's not that hard not to bump into enemies, man.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If that one pod had been one tile further away, my plan would have gone off without a hitch :colbert: I stand by the stealth approach, especially until we finally get this drat GTS running

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I think the real takeaway is that Grace started the mission by saying "Let's go kill some aliens" and you didn't listen and look where that got you.

Listen to Grace. And also to your inner bloodlust.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

steinrokkan posted:

It's not that hard not to bump into enemies, man.

The game has pods move towards a line between you and the objective. Bumping into enemies is inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Stealth has its place in this game, but running into the middle of the map with 3 enemy squads surrounding you, and huddling there is not a workable tactic. Rushing for the mission objective is, but stunlancers are massive amounts of bullshit, and hard counter those kinds of attempts when they appear.

That being said, I enjoy this LP immensely!