Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

The game has pods move towards a line between you and the objective. Bumping into enemies is inevitable.

Bumping in the sense that you don't activate more of them at once than you need / can manage. Of course you will eventually run into an enemy group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
So just a heads up folks the next episode is likely to be late. We tried playing last night and had the best goddamn stealth-justifying mission where the Lost and Advent were too busy fighting each other to notice XCOM, and then my PC bluescreened and corrupted the entire recording :cripes: This was after two other false starts so by the time the bluescreen happened, I was already too drunk and it was late at night, so we just stopped.

Turns out since the last attempt got to the end of the mission before exploding, the game autosaved when we got back to the Avenger, and I haven't been keeping up on manual saves, so we just have a lost episode that I can't go back and re-record :cripes::cripes:

Here's a look at what we'll be starting recording from tomorrow evening. For anyone running to the post button, the power relay is only temporary and will be moved below the workshop ASAP. We need the juice to get the resistance ring up though. We also prevented the Stiletto Rounds dark event from happening by blowing up the transmitter.

If you still want some content, we played some random poo poo from the big rear end SNES rom folder I downloaded to cheer ourselves up. There's a LOT of weird poo poo in there.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Hooooly shiiiiittt

I have never hosed up a mission that badly before and it was glorious to see!

I mean once you were flanked on three sides you were basically hosed. That reload bug on your hacker was totally bullshit. Then when the chosen showed up it went from "gently caress this is bad" to "welp maybe unwinnable".

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Danaru posted:

So just a heads up folks the next episode is likely to be late. We tried playing last night and had the best goddamn stealth-justifying mission where the Lost and Advent were too busy fighting each other to notice XCOM

Ok, so stealth. It's bad.

The enemy gets stronger as the clock ticks. As game time passes, enemy pods get larger, more dangerous enemies emerge, and the existing enemies get more health and armor.

Your troops only get stronger by gaining ranks or new gear. They gain ranks by killing things and seeing things get killed by their buddies. They get new gear from research you do on the things you kill or gear you steal from said killed things. Even further, upgrades to your troops like larger squad sizes are locked behind achieving certain ranks.

The game is just not designed for you to ghost missions. Only stealth as long as needed to get into position to kill xeno filth.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
???

The purpose of stealth isn't to avoid combat.

It's to set up favorable combat scenarios. Same goes for your phantom rangers. Ultimately you are meant to fight as many aliens with or without stealth.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Upgrade that workshop :argh:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I get y'all are passionate, and I respect that, but for real it was one mission and I only tried to ghost it because I'd done it before. This is far from a pacifist run

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Disregard them, i can watch a perfect run anytime. I like drinking, failure, Grace, and red pandas. Yolo

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I HAVE OPINIONS

But do whatevs it's fun to watch regardless.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Dan hire a dude Reaper and name him Big Boss and stealth all the things.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 11 - Where Do You Think YOU'RE Going?

https://twitter.com/dril/status/520734184969867264?s=19

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I came to thread finally because of lost data and being told I shouldn't rag on Dan. So here I am. DAN MANUAL SAVE AND REPLACE YOUR RAM STICKS

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

That sniper is way less threatening than the first Chosen.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The worst thing about doing the story mode for the Chosen is that it gives the Assassin a really strong immunity (immune to overwatch) with the worst weakness (increased accuracy when you are attacking them from above).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
loving lmao

"Death approaches, who will die first????"
"Dude YOU HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING THIS WHOLE MAP"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Good call on not going for psionics. It was a tough call but I think you did the right thing especially since it'll take for loving ever to get the bottom right panel excav'd.

Also yeah that was a great fight. This locale isn't the best for the Hunter, he's an absolute PITA on the loving highway tileset for instance, and it's the best when you can blow out the floor out from under him.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
In general I'd rate the Chosen Assassin > One we haven't seen yet > Hunter. The Hunter likes to sit around and just do his marking shot most of the time, which is only threatening if you get your squad in an Overwatch trap or something because you can just run out of the cone. The last one is more of a nuisance, forcing multiple members to move to avoid damage, creating additional enemies ex nihilo, and generally screwing up your carefully laid plans. And the Assassin loves to just run in and injure/daze half your squad before vanishing, over and over.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Assassin is probably the most annoying unless you get lucky and catch her before she can do her melee attack. The camera often gives away where she's hiding so you can get the flank and start whittling her down.

I have had the hunter completely wipe squads when everything aligns in his favor. If you're on a city map with a lot of roofs/vertical space he can easily grapple around and take flanking shots while you struggle to keep up with him. But if your squad is together/the map is mostly flat/you have the high ground/you can blow up his footing/etc etc etc he's pretty easy to handle.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah the Assassin is basically your Rangers but on crack which is bad times because honestly Showdowstep and her own extreme HP bar cover a Ranger's downsides really well.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

The assassin is the reason I started carrying battle scanners outside of retaliations. Which, now that you have the predator armor, you don't need to give up grenades to do.

It feels really good when you can just scan and catch her before she ever gets to do anything, though you have to have a good intuitive sense of how many turns of her movement it would take to get to you.

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah the Assassin is basically your Rangers but on crack which is bad times because honestly Showdowstep and her own extreme HP bar cover a Ranger's downsides really well.

And the hunter was probably meant to be your sharpshooters on crack except that would be way too unfair to the player to just have shots from off the map occasionally murder you, so instead it's more like your sharpshooters on weed where they're good shots but mostly laze around and don't do a ton of anything.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The Hunter is probably my favourite Chosen specifically because I love Rangers, and both this game and last time I played he has Brittle :murder: If we had been able to stop Made Whole, Jane could have one shotted him with the axe. Also he's Nathan Drake and all his lines are smarmy and great :v:

Assassin is easily the worst IMO because of her overwatch immunity and bending reed. The third one (DON'T READ THIS, GRACE)annoys me with that move where he forms psi troopers and is invincible until you kill them, but mainly because he'll hide behind a rock and scream for ten straight minutes about how horny he is about Ethereals and you can't actually play the loving game until he's done :argh: We have a real good idea of where he is though so I can hard counter him with brain shields at least.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Danaru posted:

mainly because he'll hide behind a rock and scream for ten straight minutes about how horny he is about Ethereals and you can't actually play the loving game until he's done :argh:

But Dan, this is that chosen's best feature.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
i miss this dumb good lp

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Awesome, a X-Com 2 LP with the War of the Chosen DLC. I've been missing my X-Com 2 fix since Jade Star finished his run of the base game.

As a tribute, I would like to offer all the episode links (from episode 3 onwards) in one place, so you can quote this and copy/paste it into the OP if you so desire.

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 3 - It's Not Magic, It's Robots

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 4 - I'm Sick Of Getting Stabbed

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 5 - Bad Time

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 6 - Oops! All Snipers

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 7 - Sweet Kelly And Hella Zhuang

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 8 - Overwatch Queen

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 9 - Why Are They Not Missing

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 10 - gently caress

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 11 - Where Do You Think YOU'RE Going?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Herr Tog posted:

i miss this dumb good lp

Sorry, some stuff came up during recording night meaning we had to stop recording after the second episode. I wanted to space it out a bit since we're not 100% sure when we're recording next :frog:

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 12 - Chicken Tenders And/Or Panda Pictures

Depending on what kind of XCOM player you are, you'll either love or hate this episode.

sincx posted:

Awesome, a X-Com 2 LP with the War of the Chosen DLC. I've been missing my X-Com 2 fix since Jade Star finished his run of the base game.

As a tribute, I would like to offer all the episode links (from episode 3 onwards) in one place, so you can quote this and copy/paste it into the OP if you so desire.

Hey thanks! I'm terrible at remembering to update the op :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You might wanna actually head into psionics, esp if you can get a few more engies. But yeah better guns means more better. I always forget how much the base guns suck.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Danaru posted:

Sorry, some stuff came up during recording night meaning we had to stop recording after the second episode. I wanted to space it out a bit since we're not 100% sure when we're recording next :frog:

Grace got arrested and now Canada won't let him cross the border?

You're just gonna have to switch to valkyria.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SSNeoman posted:

You might wanna actually head into psionics, esp if you can get a few more engies. But yeah better guns means more better. I always forget how much the base guns suck.

The psi lab will be on the bottom corner since like hell if I'm eating the power cost of that thing, so we still have a ways to go before I can even build it. After mag weapons I'm planning on sacking up and doing some autopsies, especially because I want to get mimic beacons and battle scanners into the equipment rotation.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Good news! We should be able to record tomorrow if nothing awful crops up! I'm working on being able to record Lost Towers and uhh the other one so we can post commentary the missions before the content becomes relevant, but...

https://twitter.com/HetzerGonnaHetz/status/1049049814632214529

...I may not have that footage by tomorrow.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

*wearily* that's xcom...

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hang on, was that the first mission with a skirmisher from your design a soldier list? Can those get spawned in early?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

FoolyCharged posted:

Hang on, was that the first mission with a skirmisher from your design a soldier list? Can those get spawned in early?

If you uncheck the WOTC tutorial box in the beginning, you don't get the mission with Elena and Mox, and it randomly gives you someone from the three resistance factions. We left it checked since that mission owns narratively, but is kinda a waste of time if you've already played it and don't need to see it again :v:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Danaru posted:

If you uncheck the WOTC tutorial box in the beginning, you don't get the mission with Elena and Mox, and it randomly gives you someone from the three resistance factions. We left it checked since that mission owns narratively, but is kinda a waste of time if you've already played it and don't need to see it again :v:

Holy crap that was a tutorial? Where did this option box come from?

On a similar "holy crap. wait. what?" note:
A dlc released today free for everyone with the game? Some kind of stand alone mission pack.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
For PC only sadly :( still pretty rad though

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Oh yeah, between this thread and someone else pestering me, I bought this game. I apparently suck at the multiplayer.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 13 - She So Fast, She So Sneak

ROCK.

ROBOT ROCK.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dan you obv brought the skulljack because of its bonus to hacking which is what you were planning to use against the automated defenses!

EDIT: that hack was bullshit

EDIT 2: Yes, don't bother with Demolition. I actually think the ability is bugged on the version you're playing on.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 10, 2018

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Dan you obv brought the skulljack because of its bonus to hacking which is what you were planning to use against the automated defenses!

EDIT: that hack was bullshit

EDIT 2: Yes, don't bother with Demolition. I actually think the ability is bugged on the version you're playing on.

It only gets that after you do the skullmining project

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

sincx posted:

Funny, I had to stop watching jadestar's LP when I finally figured out their MO: fire up the mission they're playing in that episode, listen to them spoil the big twist in that mission ("oh wow I love how this is the mission when the big loving alien you weren't supposed to know about comes up") and then play the mission, complete with the first 5 minutes being chat about "I usually deal with big alien a different way in my playthroughs".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malah
May 18, 2015

YAY ANOTHER D&G LP

I'm not sure how you're still alive with that ruleset but I'm going to get to watching the episodes before you die of cirrhosis.