Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

XCOM 2?

To be specific, the PS4 version including War of the Chosen, Shen's Last Gift, and Alien Rulers. I've played plenty of times on PC, but Grace is seeing this for the first time! As a result we're playing with the Tutorial and Lost And Abandoned turned on. The rest of the DLC will be integrated since The Nest and The Lost Towers are cool and all, but get awkward when you're trying to juggle everything

We're playing on Commander difficulty, and since the game hard crashed twice while I was testing, we'll be foregoing Ironman and playing Honestman mode :v: Grace could never resist roasting me for eternity if I dared savescum so don't worry, you're in good hands.

I should also mention I've never actually finished a Commander difficulty game so there's a very real possibility of us blowing it and dooming Earth.

Drinking Game?

That's right, XCOM 2 wasn't difficult enough, so I'm buying the most bitter beers I can find, and drinking on the following conditions:

-Drink if XCOM misses
-Drink if XCOM panics
-Drink if an XCOM soldier goes into bleedout
-Drink once per rank if an XCOM soldier dies (one for rookie, two for squaddie, etc)
-Drink if a civilian dies

The civilian condition includes Resistance members, VIPs, as well as the shameful narcs running around in Advent cities. We're here to SAVE humans after all, keep those grenades on a leash :colbert: The drinking conditions start once we officially take control of XCOM. I'm not being punished for Bradford's lovely commanding :argh: Dude's great at planning stuff but always gets most of the squad killed when he does a tutorial.

Episodes:

Playlist

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 1 - Punished Bradford
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 2 - Save The Pandas
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 3 - It's Not Magic, It's Robots
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 4 - I'm Sick Of Getting Stabbed
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 5 - Bad Time
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 6 - Oops! All Snipers
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 7 - Sweet Kelly And Hella Zhuang
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 8 - Overwatch Queen
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 9 - Why Are They Not Missing
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 10 - gently caress
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 11 - Where Do You Think YOU'RE Going?
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 12 - Chicken Tenders And/Or Panda Pictures
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 13 - She So Fast, She So Sneak
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 14 - Railfence
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 15 - Oh Dear
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 16 - Timelines
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 17 - God I Hate These Robots
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 18 - Unhelpful Belch
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 19 - It's Him
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 20 - Berzerker Has One Move, And It's Punch
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 21 - You Actual Buffoon
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 22 - Dan And Grace Shoot Zombies For Too drat Long
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 23 - Dan And Grace Continue Shooting Zombies For Too drat Long
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 24 - She Hated That
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 25 - Purifier Greg
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 26 - He's So Spooped
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 27 - Eternally Pregnant Sac
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 28 - Oh Yeah
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 29 - Pretty Worse
Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 30 - The [E]nd Of XCOM (Part 1)

Danaru fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Affi posted:

Are you going to do several missions in a row or just one per day?

We usually start recording, then continue recording for the rest of the night until I either get too drunk or too sleepy to continue. The amount of episodes vary depending on how much I end up drinking or what kind of shifts I've been working lately :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Is this your first Commander run? This will be extra fun if so.

It is! My run through of Normal had a ton of zero-injury missions so that would make for a boring drinking game. Sure it would have been smart to do a run through of Commander beforehand but if I made good decisions, this thread wouldn't exist.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 2 - Save The Pandas

I haven't 100% decided on an episode schedule since, for example, I have seven shifts and zero days off this week, but I want to get this one out since the drinking conditions are in full effect now.

Also note that Grace had a mouthful of sangria and got drunk enough to start singing early 90s music and forgot which game we're LPing, which is why I'm the only one doing the drinking conditions.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Wait, so you guys are drinking on missed overwatch attacks? That seems a bit... excessive.

If it's a miss, it's a drink :colbert: I considered counting grazing shots at misses too.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CaptainScraps posted:

What was the lp you haven't posted yet? Valkyria Chronicles?

Yeah it was Valkyria Chronicles. We have like seven episodes recorded but I hate making OPs so I keep putting it off.

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 3 - It's Not Magic, It's Robots

Anyone who kills aliens is cool in my book :colbert:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Each drink is a decently sized mouthful. Also most of the beers I get are like 8% alcohol which is why I got drunk enough to forget fireboys explode

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 4 - I'm Sick Of Getting Stabbed

I don't much care for the Assassin

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Regarding our discussion about pretzels:

https://twitter.com/HetzerGonnaHetz/status/1041303100655652865

FoolyCharged posted:

Man, you need to embrace everything being explodey more. The proper solution to the assassin hiding upstairs is to remove the floor under her so gravity can politely insist she interact with the nice people throwing her a party.

I actually have, and likely will take advantage of the Lost by camping on ladders, then blowing up as many things as possible until the 74 zombies that appear kill all the advent :v: With that said I also might not because the PS4 version REALLY HATES having a lot of Lost on the map. I've never actually had the PC version CTD but the PS4 version has hard crashed a few times while testing poo poo.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 5 - Bad Time

Our second session is... off to a rocky start

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah you shoulda just taken the shot. dealing with one mostly dead cell and one healthy one is better than dealing with two healthy cells esp this early on.

I don't like the early game just cause of how limited your options are. The civilian rescue missions are especially mean.

Yeah but at the same time while I'm dealing with Sectoid and his bitch friends, the other pods are off executing civilians, of which I was way too drat close to failing the mission due to :saddowns: Fortunately that mission ended up being a Three Stooges episode for Advent too, otherwise this LP might have ended way too loving fast

https://twitter.com/HetzerGonnaHetz/status/1042188620872998912

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 6 - Oops! All Snipers

I've proven time and time again that I'm amazing at stealth missions

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
IIRC XCOM 2 is pretty good about building. A staffed workshop helps a lot early game but eventually you get enough staff to staff everything without gremlins. A couple late game buildings are best placed on an exposed power conduit but we wont need that for a while.

Not having a GTS or a proving ground is really chapping my rear end though. I have no idea where the hell the black market is but GIVE ME SOME drat ENGINEERS :argh:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SSNeoman posted:

Dan did good.

No one has ever said this about any of our LPs and I'm reasonably sure no one will believe you

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 7 - Sweet Kelly And Hella Zhuang

This is the final episode of that session, and I promise that between sessions we learned how to pronounce "Zhuang" properly. Grace also forgot immediately after I told him but at least I start pronouncing it right.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SSNeoman posted:

drat not having the Ring loving hurts.

It is figuratively killing me :negative: also given the pace we're playing it's actually really hard to tell whether I'm falling behind or not and it's making me super antsy. I'm pretty sure I'm not but boy howdy it feels like I am.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 8 - Overwatch Queen

I take it back, weakness to explosives owns

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Nalesh posted:

drat it Danaru, yer not scandinavian or russian, yer liver cannot handle this booze of this magnitude.

I'm Canadian, my liver was forged by ice and fire :colbert:

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 9 - Why Are They Not Missing

Thank god we're finally getting some missions that give out Avenger crew :froggonk:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 10 - gently caress

:xcom:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Akratic Method posted:

Tried to get too sneaky, I guess. When there's no timer I always just do my best to systematically move down the middle of the map and exterminate the enemy piecemeal. Squad size is really killing you, though. Elena's great but I'm not sure her stealth is worth losing 25% of your combat power to swap a fighting soldier for her.

Last time I played this, I got the entire team across the map, blew up the wall, had Elena snatch the vial, and everyone bailed while Advent was still trying to get over to me. I tried to do the same thing here which is why I insisted on bringing Zhuang. Unfortunately the MEC drove him inside and then the rest of it happened. :(

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CirclMastr posted:

Leaving the whole team trapped between two enemy patrols and in sight of a turret with high ground, and deciding to go "gently caress it just put everyone in overwatch" was probably the turning point of the mission.

Two of my dudes were already in sight so if I moved them, they would have blown our cover anyway

Wicked Them Beats posted:

XCOM is all about controlling encounters and winning on action economy. When he saw those first two pods he should have picked one to engage and positioned so that he could fight one group without the other groups noticing. Instead he moved forward until he was stuck between four enemy groups and triggered all of them simultaneously. So now he's got his team's four actions a turn up against an enemy group with nine actions a turn = game over man, game over.

Trying to stealth the mission is an interesting approach but it's a small crowded map and you can take as long as you want with no time pressure so it's probably better to just systematically eliminate the enemy pods. Oh well, there's always more soldiers!

You're on my list

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If that one pod had been one tile further away, my plan would have gone off without a hitch :colbert: I stand by the stealth approach, especially until we finally get this drat GTS running

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
So just a heads up folks the next episode is likely to be late. We tried playing last night and had the best goddamn stealth-justifying mission where the Lost and Advent were too busy fighting each other to notice XCOM, and then my PC bluescreened and corrupted the entire recording :cripes: This was after two other false starts so by the time the bluescreen happened, I was already too drunk and it was late at night, so we just stopped.

Turns out since the last attempt got to the end of the mission before exploding, the game autosaved when we got back to the Avenger, and I haven't been keeping up on manual saves, so we just have a lost episode that I can't go back and re-record :cripes::cripes:

Here's a look at what we'll be starting recording from tomorrow evening. For anyone running to the post button, the power relay is only temporary and will be moved below the workshop ASAP. We need the juice to get the resistance ring up though. We also prevented the Stiletto Rounds dark event from happening by blowing up the transmitter.

If you still want some content, we played some random poo poo from the big rear end SNES rom folder I downloaded to cheer ourselves up. There's a LOT of weird poo poo in there.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I get y'all are passionate, and I respect that, but for real it was one mission and I only tried to ghost it because I'd done it before. This is far from a pacifist run

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 11 - Where Do You Think YOU'RE Going?

https://twitter.com/dril/status/520734184969867264?s=19

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The Hunter is probably my favourite Chosen specifically because I love Rangers, and both this game and last time I played he has Brittle :murder: If we had been able to stop Made Whole, Jane could have one shotted him with the axe. Also he's Nathan Drake and all his lines are smarmy and great :v:

Assassin is easily the worst IMO because of her overwatch immunity and bending reed. The third one (DON'T READ THIS, GRACE)annoys me with that move where he forms psi troopers and is invincible until you kill them, but mainly because he'll hide behind a rock and scream for ten straight minutes about how horny he is about Ethereals and you can't actually play the loving game until he's done :argh: We have a real good idea of where he is though so I can hard counter him with brain shields at least.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Herr Tog posted:

i miss this dumb good lp

Sorry, some stuff came up during recording night meaning we had to stop recording after the second episode. I wanted to space it out a bit since we're not 100% sure when we're recording next :frog:

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 12 - Chicken Tenders And/Or Panda Pictures

Depending on what kind of XCOM player you are, you'll either love or hate this episode.

sincx posted:

Awesome, a X-Com 2 LP with the War of the Chosen DLC. I've been missing my X-Com 2 fix since Jade Star finished his run of the base game.

As a tribute, I would like to offer all the episode links (from episode 3 onwards) in one place, so you can quote this and copy/paste it into the OP if you so desire.

Hey thanks! I'm terrible at remembering to update the op :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SSNeoman posted:

You might wanna actually head into psionics, esp if you can get a few more engies. But yeah better guns means more better. I always forget how much the base guns suck.

The psi lab will be on the bottom corner since like hell if I'm eating the power cost of that thing, so we still have a ways to go before I can even build it. After mag weapons I'm planning on sacking up and doing some autopsies, especially because I want to get mimic beacons and battle scanners into the equipment rotation.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Good news! We should be able to record tomorrow if nothing awful crops up! I'm working on being able to record Lost Towers and uhh the other one so we can post commentary the missions before the content becomes relevant, but...

https://twitter.com/HetzerGonnaHetz/status/1049049814632214529

...I may not have that footage by tomorrow.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

FoolyCharged posted:

Hang on, was that the first mission with a skirmisher from your design a soldier list? Can those get spawned in early?

If you uncheck the WOTC tutorial box in the beginning, you don't get the mission with Elena and Mox, and it randomly gives you someone from the three resistance factions. We left it checked since that mission owns narratively, but is kinda a waste of time if you've already played it and don't need to see it again :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
For PC only sadly :( still pretty rad though

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 13 - She So Fast, She So Sneak

ROCK.

ROBOT ROCK.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 14 - Railfence

This marks the start of our tech all falling apart for most of the session :cripes: This episode was easily fixable but between episodes 15 and 16 you'll notice I become SIGNIFICANTLY more drunk since I blue screened right as I was about to stop recording the first episode 16, and only rescued it because an autosave didn't overwrite properly, meaning we also got saved by a tech issue :frog: It also results in a continuity snarl that I took several drinks for but we'll talk about that when it's more relevant. Between the PS4 port being a buggy mess and me being too poor to replace computer parts for the last like, six years, we've been having a rough go of things. Needless to say this is why I didn't play on Ironman.

"Well hey maybe you had better luck on the missions!" you might say, here's a preview from 15:

https://twitter.com/HetzerGonnaHetz/status/1050524650340577282

We should be recording tonight so wish us luck :froggonk:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/HetzerGonnaHetz/status/1050939309929492480?s=19

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SSNeoman posted:

YO DAN GRAB THIS poo poo IT IS AMAZING

No fighting from me, that was objectively the right choice. Psionics, Armor and Weapons by far take the longest amount of research and you still have T1 weapons.

Unfortunately I saw this too late and missed out on it :smith: I can't believe I didn't notice it while scrolling through, but I've been less focused on resistance order rewards since we can barely use any of the ones we have already.

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 15 - Oh Dear

In which a tiny button fumble has some fairly extreme consequences :whitewater:

Some important notes about this episode, putting them behind spoiler tags since I talk about stuff near the end:

-The alien hunter weapons actually can NOT be rebuilt, I was thinking of a mod a friend of mine used on PC. So those are gone forever :froggonk:
-After this episode was the episode that bluescreened right before the end of a nearly hour long drink heavy episode. We managed to save an autosave from near the end of this mission, and due to it playing out slightly differently, Vega escapes the battlefield but everything else plays out the same. In the next episode I take as many drinks as I would if he died, combined with all the drinks I took in the last episode I consider it a fair penance :colbert:
-YEAH I SHOULDA SAVED ELENA'S CLAYMORE TO BLOW UP THE WALL OF THE PRISON CELL IT KILLS ME INSIDE

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 16 - Timelines

This episode was REAL ROUGH but fortunately it's the last episode of the tech-hell session, and our last session went real smooth :toot: Also Vega fell out of the timeline so welcome back buddy

I might seem a little salty in this episode but please understand this is like hour seven and I worked that day, so for the back half of the episode I had to focus on not passing out. It was a rough time.

EDIT: whoops poo poo a night shift frigged up my sense of what day it is so this came out early

Danaru fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 16, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/HetzerGonnaHetz/status/1052343392603123716

Preview from a future episode

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 17 - God I Hate These Robots

A new session! One without any major tech issues! :toot: This sitrep can be an absolute game ender near the endgame but it's still early enough for us to shrug it off.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play XCOM 2 WOTC Episode 18 - Unhelpful Belch

I'm pretty sure the Hunter figured out what he did wrong last time we had a retaliation mission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
We dont have mimic beacons yet because six days on an autopsy sucks shitass, but this is like the third faceless we've seen all game so I'm planning on just sacking up and getting it next time we play.

I still hold that three berzerker pods hiding behind the furthest group of civilians was bullshit :colbert: