Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Can you guys give me a general idea of how scary/gross this is? Roughly similar to the original or does it get more hardcore than that? My gf usually doesn’t like horror but will go with me to this if I promise not to traumatize her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Ah crap. Well, thanks for the heads up. I thought maybe the arthouse vibe would make it a good crossover film for her. All your comments are making me psyched to see it, though!

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I posted earlier asking if I should take my gf to this, the consensus was "hell no", but we ended up going together anyway. She hated it!

I was sort of expecting to really dig it but I was just sort of lukewarm on it by the end. There are some aspects I admire, in the editing and cinematography, the Fassbinder/new German cinema vibe, the audacity, but it never really adds up to a coherent whole. And its depiction of a woman controlled space is politically much less interesting and radical than the director seems to think. Critiquing the idealization of motherhood and the way women can harm each other, the micro-fascism of groups, none of this is new territory. It feels like a first-draft outline of an idea for a remake of Suspiria, not a fully realized version of it.

I'm not normally one for "identity politics", but I think a woman should have made this. Or failing that, just get like, Rob Zombie to do it or something. Interesting that early on in the development of this remake, David Gordon Green was attached to direct. Kinda fun to imagine him doing this, and Guadagnino doing Halloween instead.