Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Ahem, I think Jessica Harper and Udo Kier are both known enough outside Italian Cinema :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

china bot posted:

I'm anticipating liking the remake more than the original. Now they just need to remake Inferno & Phenomena as coherent films.

Jessica Harper was in Phantom of the Paradise, how dare u

Phenomena is perfectly coherent. It's just trying to be like, three films within a single running time.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Samuel Clemens posted:

Suspiria isn't incoherent either. If you accept the basic premise of witches being real, it's a very straightforward horror story.

Even moreso in the original Italian as I discovered when I saw the remaster in theaters. The English dub isn't bad per se, but it does muddle some bits that end up causing confusion.

Also lol that there are some people who can't accept a fantastic premise in a horror film and then spend far too much effort drawing all sorts of weird conclusions in their reading because of it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Didn't Darren Aaronofsky buy the rights to Perfect Blue specifically so he could copy images from it for Black Swan?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What's the distinction?

Apparently the estate explicitly has in their copyright or whatever that the work can be reproduced for scholarly purposes as an umbrella permission? (ie classrooms, museums, etc)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Watched it last night in a crowded, sold out theater. It kinda blew me away. It feels less like a remake, and more like how say, for example Hammer did a different interpretation of the Frankenstein story than remade the Universal version. Like, there's the same kernel of a plot: In the late 70s, talented dancer Suzy Bannon comes from America to the Berlin based Markos Dance Academy Which in turn is run by a coven of Witches devoted to the unholy Mother Susperiorum, and not above sacrificing their students violently but like, past that elevator pitch, it's a completely different film, and is dishonest to both films to compare them together. Indeed, before the film is halfway over, it's obvious that it's going in a drastically different direction with the plot than the original film did despite the similar setup.

The acting and the writing are fine, and the music is alright, but that's not why we go to see a movie called suspiria, is it? It's how the movie LOOKS that's the front and center stage, and the new film doesn't fail to be provocative there either. Where the original was Art Nouveau in its every inch, the new film stamps that out in brutalism. The frame is constantly filled with neutral colors and oppressive angles. The characters are often made to feel small and crushed by the camera. Not only that, but the camerwork itself is a major character making the viewer uncomfortable in the way it's smoothly almost always moving in some way, whether in subtle pans or sudden zooms like some sort of wild animal. The very rare times it's completely still only underscore these movements, much like the rare splashes of vibrant color only highlight the suffocating nature of the neutral colors on display.

If I have a complaint, it's that the epilogue feels like it drags on longer than needed, and the ending shot I'm not to clear on the meaning of. Does it have to do with The political backdrop that informed the plot as it went along? I dunno. Also as the previous poster noted, there's a seemingly pointless stinger after the credits that is also unclear to me. Was she painting over the political graffiti on the wall across from the school entrance? That would make sense with the mirroring going on with the hijack events happening parallel to the plot I suppose

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

As I said in the Horror thread, Helen Markos had already attempted the body snatching ritual with the first girl and it didn't work, the witches mention this early on after the vote, not sure why it didn't work, either because Patricia wasn't a willing participant, or because it had been centuries since that spell had been used. Notice how she has extraneous body parts like the hands dangling off her biceps. The ritual failed in that she only partially merged with her instead of a full body takeover, and is probably why her death seemed imminent.

I don't know that I'd say the climax "showed too much leg" as much as it was a little jarring and sudden and felt like it needed more buildup. Also glancing on imdb reveals a spoilery little fun subtle bit. the Death Monster was the same actress as Suzy's mother

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I think it was more Suzy didn't know she was some sort of reincarnation of Suspiria until she had that awakening before the ceremony. Her mom's "Sin" was giving birth to such an evil. Note how she told Josef that she wasn't in her power yet when the other witches wronged him with the vision on Ankya. I wonder if Blanc knew before things blew up from being so close with Suzy. Note how Death only went after the Markos voters. Also, Blanc abstained from voting for herself, she seems like she very much wanted to be the real power as second in command...and when Suspiria killed Markos, that kinda put her in charge of the school behind the scenes when it was revealed she still lived despite the neck cut. Suzy spent her whole childhood drawn to Blanc and her school. I keep going around in circles on all that wondering if Blanc orchestrated everything

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Agreed, she was the one piece of the puzzle that didn't easily fall into place for me, and I too want to try to focus my attention more on her in rewatches.

Regarding the visual style, as I've said before, Argento bathes every frame in Art Nouveau, Guadagnino meanwhile uses just as wide brush strokes, instead going with Brutalism. It's no less visually stunning, just a different mode.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

warez posted:

Yeah, I’m curious about this too. The reasonings I’ve read (“terrorism as a type of performance”) feel inadequate. I read that the cell dissolves in time with the coven narratively, and with the divided Berlin setting it could be intended as a reflection of the main narrative. I might need to watch again and see.

Yeah, that latter bit is how I took things. It feels pretty metaphorically representative of the plot itself, though I suspect if I knew more about the actual event I could say in far greater detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I agree that the dancing was pretty fantastic. Interpretive dance has become one of those arts like mime where it's shorthand for stupid drama kid stuff that anyone can do and nobody actually wants to watch. But when it's full on serious with people who have real dancing training and whatnot, it can still be powerful.