Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awps R. Band
Feb 3, 2016
I believe that all remakes are variations on a 'theme', and with all theme and variations, one has to identify what the 'theme' is. The filmmakers for this variation chose to keep the setting and two important plot points (that the school is a veil for a witches' coven and that some new American girl shows up), basically saying that these things could not be changed without compromising the film's identity as a remake. Like all good variations, the film takes the same basic structure and shows us a powerful reimagining, to remind us how differently and how far one can take the same idea.

But do you guys agree with my assessment that this basic 'theme' is what is essential to a Suspiria film? I have heard some disappointment that taking away the style of the original destroys what was good about it. If this is true, should we consider instead the visual style and excess of the original to be what is really essential to a Suspiria film? As in, could the makers of the new film have kept the visual style of the original but changed everything else and still call it Suspiria?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU