Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm seeing the 4K restoration of Suspiria in the theater on September 23rd. Hyped as hell.

As for the remake I thing it looks great, and from what I've read it's going to totally be my thing. I love how the director didn't attempt to replicate Argento's style but instead gave it his own. I think the film world is big enough for two version of Suspiria to exist, especially when they each take such different approaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

This movie floored me. There's so much to unpack, I think I need to see it again before I really grasp it. That sixth act shook me the gently caress up.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I came out feeling like I'd need to fully unpack it over a few viewings over a few years.

Initial instinct is that all the stuff that felt a bit extraneous the first time around will bear fruit on multiple viewings. But we'll see.

Exactly how I feel. On one hand the entire doctor plot could have been removed entirely and I'm not sure the movie wouldn't have benefited from it. On the other hand I'm probably missing a vital thematic point in feeling that way. Similarly, the doctor being played by Tilda Swinton had to be of major significance, right? I was distracted every time he/she was on screen, but I also suspect my simpleton brain is missing something.

I literally dreamed about this movie all night.

Mark my words, 2018 is going to be looked back on and revered as one of the greatest years for horror.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I, Butthole posted:

Similarly, the first scene at the diner of just the coven having dinner has a voice over conversation, and I completely missed on my first watch that the voice over was actually a telepathic conversation between them all.

I believe this is also what was happening during the voting scene. I didn't catch on until the diner scene you mentioned.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

nemesis_hub posted:

Can you guys give me a general idea of how scary/gross this is? Roughly similar to the original or does it get more hardcore than that? My gf usually doesn’t like horror but will go with me to this if I promise not to traumatize her.

The physical grossness isn't the main focus, but when it happens it's pretty loving twisted. I heard more gasps and "oh my god"s in my showing than I've ever heard.

Plus it's an absolutely terrible example of horror for people who don't like horror. I say hard pass.