Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Privateer would probably work okay with a gamepad. Not as ideal, but well enough.

i might have it tucked away somewhere, if I can find it I'll try it out on gamepad and see. The Tarsus would probably be fine since it turns like poo poo but the Centurion might be a bit exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

A gamepad should work, yeah. Wing commander games were better than most about mouse flying, too. I beat the original Wing Commander that way back in the day.

E: oh my god they even have the privateer mouse cursor in the scanning screen, and all the stations are marked with the Confed star from the WC games. Now someone make another X-wing vs Tie Fighter game so I can die of nostalgia, please.

Quicksilver6 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 17, 2018

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Kinda sad you don't get capital ships in this one, I enjoyed being the floaty behemoth for once.

That being said, it looks fantastic and I'm diving headfirst onto the hype train. Can't wait to turn on that drift thing they added and spend my day doing space doughnuts

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

My single, super nitpicky, this-won't-affect-me-buying-on-day-one issue with the original footage was autopilot. I recognize it as being an objectively better thing in the long run when you just want to get there already but I'm a sucker for warp speed. Now they changed that and also kept autopilot so it's the best of everything all the time. Then they added in the equivalent of Elite's FA-off for sick space moves.

2018 is full of awesome stuff and the thing I'm most hyped for is a $30 throwback to ye olde space games.

Trenchdeep posted:

Kinda sad you don't get capital ships in this one, I enjoyed being the floaty behemoth for once.

I loved RG and its combat was a very innovative way to make piloting a spaceboat work. That being said, I can't think of something that'd make piloting the equivalent of a Star Destroyer much fun. All the things you'd consider gameplay would be delegated to faceless AI crew members and your orders would just be "shoot them" and "go here". That's not saying Starship Manager 2018 couldn't be a compelling game, but it doesn't really fit in the with scope/theme present here.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This thread made me start playing the game again. "You look lost mate." *gets into range of laser barrage* "No no no no-..."

How does mercenaries work? Do they "level up" or do I need to find and recruit more expensive versions later on so they don't fall behind in power?

Trenchdeep posted:

Yeah. It may be slow but watching so many guns and beams go off and just rip through smaller craft is very enjoyable. The whole broadside fighting style works really well with capital ships.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I'm gonna miss my stupid ridiculous blackgate, but I feel like more freelancer-esque small craft works better with the atmosphere the games go for, personally.

Also it's gonna have space drifting and I can't wait to abuse it :allears:

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Mailer posted:

I loved RG and its combat was a very innovative way to make piloting a spaceboat work. That being said, I can't think of something that'd make piloting the equivalent of a Star Destroyer much fun. All the things you'd consider gameplay would be delegated to faceless AI crew members and your orders would just be "shoot them" and "go here". That's not saying Starship Manager 2018 couldn't be a compelling game, but it doesn't really fit in the with scope/theme present here.

I'd enjoy just having the starfighter controls slowed down, especially with the drift being added. Imagine, full burn forward, turn off the dampeners and broadside the guy behind you. I can understand why it wouldn't be fun for a lot of people - the larger ships would have to handle like dead cows, but still.

Psycho Landlord posted:

I'm gonna miss my stupid ridiculous blackgate, but I feel like more freelancer-esque small craft works better with the atmosphere the games go for, personally.

Also it's gonna have space drifting and I can't wait to abuse it :allears:

I want my disco-ball sorcerer back.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is VR support in the cards for this? Even if it's gamepad only, that would be rad as gently caress.

Nope

https://twitter.com/howieeday/status/1039941254706937856

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Poil posted:

How does mercenaries work? Do they "level up" or do I need to find and recruit more expensive versions later on so they don't fall behind in power?

in original RG? You'll be able to recruit better versions of the same mercs eventually. I think they're called whatever Pro so you know they're the good stuff. Also their hiring cost will probably tip you off.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Important question: is there still buttrock?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Important question: is there still buttrock?

21 hours of it.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Hahaha, the loving VR brigade always moans whenever a game doesn't include their precious toys.

Every single new game's steam discussion always have question about VR and really specific language requests.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly VR is so loving weird. I have the same problem, give me a minute in VR and i'm ready to throw my guys up.

gently caress it, waterboard me if you want, just don't strap me into a VR headset.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
VR is great if you can handle it, and space games are pretty much the perfect genre for it.

Not a dealbreaker for me though, game still looks good.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Finally got the fast merchant vessel for 2 million space bucks/credits/"used" socks or whatever. I kinda wish they had put the four side mounts on the bottom instead. Or at least two of them. Having two wasted mounts doing nothing when fighting capital ships is a bit annoying. Also the broadside is so far back it's almost on the butt of the ship (the hips?). But overall it's a lot better than the mastodon I had before and now I have to save even more money to buy some decent guns for it. Maybe mix different types of stuff, just because it looks cooler. :v:

Is there a good choice for secondaries? Homing missiles just seem so convenient with long range and no aiming or locking on required.

Psion posted:

in original RG? You'll be able to recruit better versions of the same mercs eventually. I think they're called whatever Pro so you know they're the good stuff. Also their hiring cost will probably tip you off.
I see, thanks.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV0VNDbqILY

So it looks like the bones of what would become this game was originally pitched to EA as a possible Star Wars game. Of course EA turned them down because of the lack of lootboxes, but I think it could have been a pretty sweet game. Note sure if they would have made it open-world or mission based though.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

thekeeshman posted:

So it looks like the bones of what would become this game was originally pitched to EA as a possible Star Wars game. Of course EA turned them down because of the lack of lootboxes, but I think it could have been a pretty sweet game. Note sure if they would have made it open-world or mission based though.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you EA

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

thekeeshman posted:

:nallears: Disney needs to rip up the exclusive rights for EA to make Star Wars games, post haste.

Popete posted:

:agreed:
I'm still bitter about Westwood, some what, two decades later.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Groetgaffel posted:

:nallears: Disney needs to rip up the exclusive rights for EA to make Star Wars games, post haste.

I still don't understand how EA owns the company who made one of the best-received Star Wars games ever (KotOR) and has made absolutely zero use of them.

In the time EA has had the Star Wars license, how many Star Wars games have we gotten? Three? Galaxy of Heroes and the two Battlefront games? It's insane.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Polaron posted:

I still don't understand how EA owns the company who made one of the best-received Star Wars games ever (KotOR) and has made absolutely zero use of them.

In the time EA has had the Star Wars license, how many Star Wars games have we gotten? Three? Galaxy of Heroes and the two Battlefront games? It's insane.

idk about GoH but both Battlefronts were lootbox nightmares so :ms: i guess

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's probably safe to say they're working on some kinda Star Wars RPG at this point, just because there has been so much pining for it they would have to hate money to not make one. If there is one thing you can say about EA, it's that they do not hate money.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

For the original Rebel Galaxy - It was probably wrongfun, but after I went through the campaign the right way I started a new game, turned the Rasputin around, and then cheated in 250 million credits or so plus various reputation and then went to get a fully kitted out Blackgate for myself. Going through the early and middle missions was just amazingly ridiculous and I hope I can do that sort of thing again. I almost busted a gut laughing when the Militia captain in that meeting mission backed off so that the giant fuckoff space battleship can scan a couple suspicious traders instead of the much less intimidating Militia frigate. You know, because I was the much more subtle choice for it.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Popete posted:

It's probably safe to say they're working on some kinda Star Wars RPG at this point, just because there has been so much pining for it they would have to hate money to not make one. If there is one thing you can say about EA, it's that they do not hate money.

On the other hand they cancelled Visceral's star wars game.
EA doesn't give two fucks about anything that isn't a 'live service' packed to the gills with exploitative microtransactions. Anthem is probably a trial to see how much monetization they can squeeze from an RPG. At least until the next Dragon Age or Mass Effect. Provided Bioware survives Anthem inevitably failing to meet whatever ridiculous expectations set for it, which, uh, is far from a given.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Popete posted:

Shouldn't we be glad this game isn't EA'd?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Shouldn't we be glad this game isn't EA'd?

Pretty much. Yes it sucks that a cool X-wing style thing by a competent developer didn't get made, but if EA had gone for it, the game we'd have gotten would have been... not what we saw in that video, at least. And also DD Games wouldn't exist anymore.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

This game won me over with the star citizen shade and the ability to flick people off from the cock pit.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
The painting tool and the mail order custom spaceship are very Star Citizen-style ideas, but there's a computer game included, which is nice

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Just a head's up for those of you who wish to sink time and possibly money into the ship painter and mail order spacecraft, that's apparently exclusive to the pc version of the game.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Who wants an in-depth 25 minute video about the ship painter and everything it can do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPXckeXqrXk

He mentions in the video that the ship painting tool was originally developed right after Rebel Galaxy for a different project that then got put on hold.
So when they started on Outlaw, they decided that they just had to port it in, ridiculously overkill as it is.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I hope there's a well-integrated system for downloading and applying other people's paintjobs. Because the tool itself is waaaaaay beyond my competence level.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Well the stencils seems fairly idiot proof at least, that's probably most of what I'm going to use, lacking in artistic talent as I am.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

But consider:

Kill tallies

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

A screenshot of your ship applied as a stencil on the ship.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Inglonias posted:

But consider:

Kill tallies

Before long you'll need to paint equations on your ship to keep track of the actual number because lordy will you be killing things

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
the last thing those space punks will ever see is a weathered painting of Hatsune Miku winking at them from above flashing gun barrels.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Will have fun reproducing war thunder stencils on my space trash lorry

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Psycho Landlord posted:

Before long you'll need to paint equations on your ship to keep track of the actual number because lordy will you be killing things

At that point just rip off Ace Combat and paint an infinity on the nose.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Space Game Junkie did a livecast with the boys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rLgBY03gmM

2 hour thing so if you don't have time maybe shelve for a bit.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I liked that podcast. Capping off a week of Bethesda, Blizzard and Star Citizen hearing a dev just be blunt and honest was a great palate cleanser. So hyped for this game I checked their other podcasts to see if there were other space games to scratch the not-NMS/not-Elite itch... and found nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, I listened to that podcast recently too.
Some good information in there.

-Outlaw was first born from assets from a wing commander game that never happened called Pioneer

-The starting ship is literally a garbage truck. Its a waste transport ship.

-Ships are supposed to be semi-interchange. You find your favourite, then slot in the high end equipment you want. While difficult, you're supposed to be able to finish the game in the garbage truck.

-Your equipment get more fragile the more you repair it. While your treasured cannon that you've repaired 37 times won't ever break from just firing, there comes a point where it's mostly held together by duct tape and a single direct hit on it will destroy it.
The system is dynamic and also accounts for how damaged the piece of gear got before each repair.