Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm real excited for the more 3D nature, because that will prevent those moments where I was simply not allowed to shoot my enemies due to quirks of lock on combat in a 2D plane. Be it target structures with thin air as the lock on. Or fancy enemy dreads both too open structured for dumbfire missiles to not harmlessly pass through 90%, or so long they are "out of range" even if I'm bumping into their rear struts.

There were of course, workarounds to the latter :black101:

Groetgaffel posted:

-Your equipment get more fragile the more you repair it. While your treasured cannon that you've repaired 37 times won't ever break from just firing, there comes a point where it's mostly held together by duct tape and a single direct hit on it will destroy it.
The system is dynamic and also accounts for how damaged the piece of gear got before each repair.
This is the only Outlaw feature I've heard that sounds like it will need to be handled carefully.

Not for space bucks reasons, even if filling out the turret slots on a fancy dread in the first game cost more than buying the ships themselves by the end.

But depending on how they tune enemy scaling. Oh man, did saving up to skip tier grades of shield generators (then naively equipping a dropped turret of suspiciously high rank) lead to some wild results (see above).

Though given how much they are already polishing on the last game's experience? I expect there will be a much more granular enemy scaling, to make it feel worth it to maintain/replace stand out equipment :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really don't like it, especially if it means having to go back to remote locations to rebuy special stuff. Hopefully the guns will be cheaper than in the first game.

Groetgaffel posted:

-The starting ship is literally a garbage truck. Its a waste transport ship.

-Ships are supposed to be semi-interchange. You find your favourite, then slot in the high end equipment you want. While difficult, you're supposed to be able to finish the game in the garbage truck.
Ok this sounds great. A garbage truck appears, blows up their ships and tractorbeams their escape pods into the back. Clean up the galaxy a little.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Ideally it'll be by system and not scale with gear like that. I hate Elder Scrolls-style scaling for that very reason - you get one thing that suddenly boosts your hidden internal level through the roof and then it all falls over. In response you game the system the opposite way, which coincidentally is the unfun way, and nobody wins in that scenario. I didn't even know RG had scaling, but that's probably because I played through with a pretty vanilla progression path and stuff just seemed more powerful in new areas.

The gear breaking on its own is either going to be terrible or negligible with no gray area in between. It's like that in every game. If it ruins it then just mod it to turn it off because this isn't an online service and the dev couldn't care less what you do.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 12, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mailer posted:

Ideally it'll be by system and not scale with gear like that. I hate Elder Scrolls-style scaling for that very reason - you get one thing that suddenly boosts your hidden internal level through the roof and then it all falls over. In response you game the system the opposite way, which coincidentally is the unfun way, and nobody wins in that scenario. I didn't even know RG had scaling, but that's probably because I played through with a pretty vanilla progression path and stuff just seemed more powerful in new areas.

The gear breaking on its own is either going to be terrible or negligible with no gray area in between. It's like that in every game. If it ruins it then just mod it to turn it off because this isn't an online service and the dev couldn't care less what you do.
For what it's worth, part of why it took me so long to realize "oooh, it's scaling with my GEAR!" was because unlike elder scrolls and most games with such things, I was still WINNING... Just taking much longer.

So it does say a lot in Rebel Galaxy's favor that such a common problem wasn't as disruptive as it usually gets. Getting fancy armor but having early weapons in most games means you loving die, not whittle your enemies down in a death of a thousand cuts because you are just as tough as they are. Once it clicked, and selling off a dropped late game turret(?) only furthering the problem, I was able to fund a smooth spread of middle of the road gear and the money started rolling in taking "hard" missions actually tuned for me.

The fact the most awkward non bug moment of their first game for me turned out to be easily rectified (easy early game. Awkward midgame. smooth sailing to the credits), is part of why I'm hopefully optimistic about even such a thing as "Now your guns will eventually turn to poo poo!" being handled if not great, then at least better than usual.

I hope the dumpy Manticore is still in Outlaw. That thing was my ride for quite a long stretch of the game, and I look on it's stumpy might fondly even as the Minotaur made it look like a joke.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 12, 2018

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Mailer posted:

Unlike in the first Rebel Galaxy, the universe is completely hand crafted this time around, so I imagine each system has a set level.

Gear won't ever just break on its own.
Firing your cannons won't degrade them.
Getting damaged from enemy fire and being repaired is what makes your stuff more brittle.

Also, I forgot one feature they talked about.
-You can buy an old abandoned mining base that never went anywhere. Upgrade it with a garage, a bar, a shipyard, and eventually there'll be equipment you can get that's only from there.
They're also looking at giving you a bit of passive income from visitors to the bar you own.

And yeah, the game is going to be far more moddable this time around. Full mod tools to be made available some time after release.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Groetgaffel posted:

And yeah, the game is going to be far more moddable this time around. Full mod tools to be made available some time after release.

Scene editor for out-of-ship stuff, 3dsmax things (I forgot the terminology... plugins?) for the game... pretty much everything but the source code. On one hand that gives a hell of a toolset to the good people like the ones who make total conversions for Bethesda games. On the other hand you'll have to dig those out of the heap of mods from the people who brought you Skyrim: More Realistic Horse Anuses.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Groetgaffel posted:

Also, I forgot one feature they talked about.
-You can buy an old abandoned mining base that never went anywhere. Upgrade it with a garage, a bar, a shipyard, and eventually there'll be equipment you can get that's only from there.
They're also looking at giving you a bit of passive income from visitors to the bar you own.
This is the one feature that I always hoped would end up in Freelancer but I guess a wait of 15 or so years is alright in these circumstances.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do we have a release date yet?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Do we have a release date yet?
The latest word is still "Q1 but 2019, probably".

So I'd guess March 30 +/- a week.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
So it's been quietly changed to this game being Epic store exclusive.

Good for the devs wanting a bigger cut of each sale but I wonder how many sales they're going to lose overall with this move.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
-1 here.

If its not on steam these days i generally don't buy it. Too many accounts to remember.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

It'll come to other stores eventually

https://twitter.com/RebelGalaxy/status/1070908954807435264

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can wait. Might as well see how big a train wreck that is first.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Ah nothing like thread details where gamers profess their loyalty to software platforms

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zigmidge posted:

Ah nothing like thread details where gamers profess their loyalty to software platforms

I have like five on my computer right now I don't need a lovely sixth one

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Yeah can't let that glass of milk spill over.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zigmidge posted:

Yeah can't let that glass of milk spill over.

I'd rather not no, but apparently I can get Subnautica for free on it, so, lol

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I didn't even know there was an Epic store.

It is a legit annoyance having games spread across a bunch of different platforms.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, I'll wait. I've got no shortage of games to play in the meanwhile, after all, and I'm not someone who has to play every game day 1.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Popete posted:

I didn't even know there was an Epic store.

It is a legit annoyance having games spread across a bunch of different platforms.

It’s new. And the reason so many platforms exist is that valve hasn’t been the good guys in a while and steams cut of sales is so high a lot of companies saw the math pencil out as better to make their own. This is what happens when you succeed at market dominance and then do nothing to keep earning it

I mean are 5 launchers annoying yeah but look into epic’s store and see why a smaller dev would go for it. When you aren’t making 200 million a release Steam has failed to try and keep those devs through anything other than inertia and here we are.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I understand why dev companies would want to get away from Steam it seems like a pretty big cut into profits.

I'd probably prefer they release the game as a download from their own website though instead of me having to install another launcher. Or just go with one of the other big names like GoG (are they much better?).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Epic's 12% cut is obviously tempting, but is Valve's cut any bigger than the other platform holders' like MS or Sony? I thought 30% was the standard.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Not to mention that folks are more likely to buy from Steam than any other digital platform. Epic's may have a better profit margin, but they'll sell a lot more copies on Steam and Valve knows that.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ugh, for gently caress's sake.

My only real annoyance with all of these launchers is that a lot of the time the Steam Overlay won't work nicely with them, I kind of need it due to everyone I know using Steam.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I'm super happy for Steam to get more competition but it's hard to root for Epic when they seem to just be throwing handfuls of money at every problem. That's not a sustainable model and it makes me wary of what they'll do once the Fortnite boat sails away

But it's impossible to blame the Rebel Galaxy devs. The 88/12 split is one thing, but far more valuable than that is the overall excitement and goodwill Epic is garnering. Well that and the fact there are few fewer products to compete with

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

There's also the fact that a torrent of poo poo games flood steam daily making visibility for non-AAA games difficult on steam. That's why the switch became such a good indie machine.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
Still will buy it, but may wait now until after Ace Combat 7.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Epic's giving away Subnautica, that has a non-zero chance of the client landing on my box, and a new game for free every two weeks. Still, I'd prefer that if they must be a storefront, that the client be optional. It's been done...

WarpDogs posted:

I'm super happy for Steam to get more competition but it's hard to root for Epic when they seem to just be throwing handfuls of money at every problem. That's not a sustainable model and it makes me wary of what they'll do once the Fortnite boat sails away

But it's impossible to blame the Rebel Galaxy devs. The 88/12 split is one thing, but far more valuable than that is the overall excitement and goodwill Epic is garnering. Well that and the fact there are few fewer products to compete with

I'm not really following Epic: what problems are they throwing money at? I can't completely fault them either for doing it, either, given the fleeting popularity of video game titles, no one stays king for long. Make hay while the sun shines, I guess. Rebel Galaxy being on Epic would be like early access in a sense, in that the biggest zealots are gonna go for it even if it's not the greatest deal for them personally.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

WarpDogs posted:

But it's impossible to blame the Rebel Galaxy devs.

Is it? They're throwing away goodwill and money for short term gain. It's like saying "that dude shoot himself in the foot for a ten dollar bet!" "It's impossible to blame him really".

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

DatonKallandor posted:

Is it? They're throwing away goodwill and money for short term gain. It's like saying "that dude shoot himself in the foot for a ten dollar bet!" "It's impossible to blame him really".

how do you draw that conclusion, epic's store just opened :psyduck:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

this whole page is like saying you're less interested in the game because Blockbuster's the only store allowed to sell it and not Gamestop or something, what in the hell happened

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It's a first person spaceship game and they just announced they won't on the platform that has fully built in controller configuration that works with every controller regardless of make. Rebel Galaxy 1 plays much better because you can fix a lot of the control issues with Steams controller UI. Steam is more than just a store.

vvv I can guarantee you that they won't have the degree of customization that steam has, because nothing has ever come close. It goes beyond assigning keys and deadzones (and man even Deadzones are apparently lost technology for most devs).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 7, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

DatonKallandor posted:

It's a first person spaceship game and they just announced they won't on the platform that has fully built in controller configuration that works with every controller regardless of make. Steam is more than just a store.

The game whose controller compatibility we haven't observed yet? Hell, I regularly have to tell Steam to gently caress off to make my XB1 controller work right depending on the game, it isn't even the panacea you state

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Ciaphas posted:

this whole page is like saying you're less interested in the game because Blockbuster's the only store allowed to sell it and not Gamestop or something, what in the hell happened

Luv 2 misrepresent reasons people don’t want yet another loving lovely game launcher on their computers

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I understand the problems with Steam and how it can be pretty tough for an indie studio to stomach that %30 cut. But shifting from one client to another just because of smaller % cut savings isn't really ideal either. Asking your fan base to install yet another distribution platform for your game is a bit of a stretch.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

fair enough then, people can make their own call, but i genuinely don't consider installing another platform an obligation at all

as long as the epic games software works/doesn't interfere, anyway. if their software turns out to be cpu eating garbage while i'm trying to play something that requires their software to be open then I'll grumble about it just like I do Steam :v:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ciaphas posted:

This analogy only works if you have a blockbuster store rep in your house and now you have to have a GameStop rep in your house.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

This analogy only works if you have a blockbuster store rep in your house and now you have to have a GameStop rep in your house.

yeah my simile/metaphor skills are worse than my aim, even :(

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ciaphas posted:

yeah my simile/metaphor skills are worse than my aim, even :(

I totally get what you’re saying, but with online store fronts needing to be run in the background; as well as the tool used to organize your digital games collection, it’s always at least annoying to need to install another app to run in the background. And this is coming from someone that has steam, GOG, origin, and battlenet always running in the background and on Windows startup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
if it really bothers you then just wait for the steam launch. Or add a non-steam game to steam, so you can track it all there. whatever.

valve had every opportunity over the last several years to respond to change and prevent other publishers and developers from wanting to try another platform, they didn't. This isn't a sure bet DD is making but blaming them for wanting a less outrageously bad deal rather than blaming the company offering only bad deals is hosed up. We'll see how it goes :shrug:

Popete posted:

I understand the problems with Steam and how it can be pretty tough for an indie studio to stomach that %30 cut. But shifting from one client to another just because of smaller % cut savings isn't really ideal either. Asking your fan base to install yet another distribution platform for your game is a bit of a stretch.

i think a lot is going to depend on whether or not Epic can keep it going in the long run, either to stand on its own in the market or just long enough to force Valve to make some real changes. And it's not like DD can't just put RGO up on other stores if they choose to. There's risk, sure, but they seem to be aware of it.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 7, 2018