Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Welp, solved that problem. I think I'll love this new Dingo. Now I just need to find some good pictures of the Tales from the Borderlands Scooter Special, and maybe see if there's a way to pickle-fire twin dumbfire launchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Turns out you can flip-off a Red Devil cruiser and make them back down.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Hwurmp posted:

Turns out you can flip-off a Red Devil cruiser and make them back down.

why do that when you can tuck in behind them and unload two dozen torpedoes into their engines while cackling like a madman

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 5, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

well yeah you do that afterwards, duh

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Telling some pirate chump that you're going to be sending them straight to hell, then doing exactly that is incredibly satisfying.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I've just read an ancient Freelancer preview from 2000, and found something surprisingly familiar:

quote:

If you've played a multiplayer space sim, you've undoubtedly noticed by now that most dogfights end up with two players flying circles around each other trying to get into each other's turn radius. While a select few might enjoy this, it's safe to say most of us won't. This is where Freelancer comes in. All basic navigation and flight control is done through the ship's onboard computer, called the "Neuronet." For instance, getting on a ship's tail and following it will require only that you click on the ship to select it, and then click on the "follow" Neuronet icon. The ship's "brain" will match the target's speed and velocity, and track it. Note that this doesn't mean that the player won't be able to control the ship directly. Even as the Neuronet controls the ship, you can make minor adjustments of speed and course.

DDG have out-Robertsed Chris Roberts yet again with the auto-pursuit feature.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I ended up using that feature in Freelancer quite a bit, but not on enemies. Follow-mode a friendly and suddenly turrets start being quite good in that game (due to lack of auto-turrets, a horrendous design sin).

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I have become convinced that these side missions go on infinitely.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

timn posted:

I have become convinced that these side missions go on infinitely.

Is it just me, or is the pacing on those a little weird? At one point I think everyone I had met came up with a mission at the same time.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I'm not sure what the timer is based on or to what degree they're interdependent on each other. I've been aggressively completing them, and I seem to consistently have 2-3 active at any point in time. It feels like every single person you meet and their dog has at least a couple, and every other main plot mission you're meeting a new person!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dammit, Spanner, I don't need a dozen gewgaws to spruce up the bar, I need a market where I can sell off all my plunder.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

timn posted:

I'm not sure what the timer is based on or to what degree they're interdependent on each other. I've been aggressively completing them, and I seem to consistently have 2-3 active at any point in time. It feels like every single person you meet and their dog has at least a couple, and every other main plot mission you're meeting a new person!

For me, I had none in my log for the longest time, then I cleared the next story mission and suddenly got a huge flood of them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

hint: don't take multiple Risky Cargo Run missions to the same location, unless you feel like fighting a dozen pirates at once. And hey, maybe you do. Lots of luck.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hwurmp posted:

hint: don't take multiple Risky Cargo Run missions to the same location, unless you feel like fighting a dozen pirates at once. And hey, maybe you do. Lots of luck.
Ouch, that's some bad luck since I've rarely ever had a risky delivery result in station spam.

That's the kind of shitshow I'd expect from multiple blockade runs guaranteed, though. Those seem to be guaranteed combat, while risky has always been "Get interrupted five times with the station in rendering distance" mid flight interruption spam.

Sometimes, sublight seems to gently caress with those I have found. I'll drop out of Not Supercruise, and somehow from launch to last patch, get to turn it back on right as the pirates start poo poo talking. Get interrupted by the next almost immediately, repeat. :byewhore:

I didn't have the same luck with instant Sublight with most stuff, maybe the absolutely jam packed spawning on risky jobs lead to something beneficially screwy there?

TentPegg
Sep 22, 2012

Got a say I am liking this game. Started off with joystick and finally moved to a controller. Have to say the improvement is huge, but I can't help think that it doesn't quite seem 'right'.
I may well just be fuelled with nostalgia as I played the Wing Commander and XWing games when they were just released (yep...I'm old).

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

TentPegg posted:

Got a say I am liking this game. Started off with joystick and finally moved to a controller. Have to say the improvement is huge, but I can't help think that it doesn't quite seem 'right'.
I may well just be fuelled with nostalgia as I played the Wing Commander and XWing games when they were just released (yep...I'm old).

There's a reason Double Damage basically did Space Redneck Privateer 2019, you can see there was something good about the Wing Commander Universe that you don't really see anymore.

As a fellow old person who played the gently caress outta Tie Fighter, I'm actually fine with the moving to a controller considering I went from stress testing the mouse when fighting A-Wings to getting a piece of poo poo sidewinder knock off that would hang to the right after a week of play all the while keeping this poo poo in mind.

Been playing this game on the recommendation that controller is best and so far, i'm only forgetting maybe one or two keys when i take a break on it from time to time.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
TIE Fighter and X-Wing were sims rather than just arcadey shooters, and better for it.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Begin every mission pressing F8 x3 and F9 and F10 once each.

After killing every enemy, pressing E and, if nothing came up, R.

If too many targets came up after pressing E, shift+C

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Captain Splendid posted:

Begin every mission pressing F8 x3 and F9 and F10 once each.

F9 twice, F10 never, you scrub. also, Shift-F10 a bunch of times.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
So I did finally complete the game in full, and I feel kind of eh about it? It feels like they really tripled down on the presentation at the expense of, well, everything else.

Mission variety, enemy variety, ship and weapon progression, and even parts of the narrative all feel insufficiently fleshed out for the level of show the game is trying to put on. It has an incredible vision, but seems like it needed more resources throughout its development to really get there. I think I would've been happier with a game that was much less ambitious in presentation and more well-rounded in content.

We can always see what they do with post-launch support, but I think the vision they have here begs for something more on the level of an expandalone rather than the typical DLC fare. Who knows if the player support is really there for that level of effort, though.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think they are just 3 guys so I don't think the presentation held them back that much. Just a programmer, designer, and artist. I think its more the limitation of having 1 designer who needed to write the story, design and balance the gameplay systems, design missions, design systems, etc. I don't think switching the art guy away from art part of the time would've helped that much.

Like Privateer had 4 guys just on design, 1 just on story, plus producers, directors, and whatever nebulous poo poo Roberts did. It's easy to shrug away stuff that isn't programming and art, but design takes a lot of time too and maybe on a future project they'll have a bigger team. Also while the art/programming have gotten easier (to a degree with better tools) the design stuff is about the same as it ever was.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I suspect it was also an issue of shaving costs off for the translation, but one area that is really lacking, is how there's almost no descriptive text in the entire game. The ships and weapons get a few lines, but not even trade goods have a description, let alone systems and stations.

If they have sprung a few thousand bucks for a writer with a tabletop rpg background or similar, and/or an interest in the old west, they could have added a ton of flavor and really fleshed out the setting, and by doing so get a lot more hooks for missions or different factions.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Hannibal Rex posted:

I suspect it was also an issue of shaving costs off for the translation, but one area that is really lacking, is how there's almost no descriptive text in the entire game. The ships and weapons get a few lines, but not even trade goods have a description, let alone systems and stations.

If they have sprung a few thousand bucks for a writer with a tabletop rpg background or similar, and/or an interest in the old west, they could have added a ton of flavor and really fleshed out the setting, and by doing so get a lot more hooks for missions or different factions.

This is possibly where the small team size mostly shows - the lack of extra bits and detail. But, I suppose that even if they had money, they would've needed to vet and manage all that stuff, and Travis had his audiobook thing going at the same time, which might mean busy timetables.

RGO is a nice example of what has really progressed in the last thirty years or so; quality goes up, quantity not so much.

I want them to build all of this up via DLC's and stuff, really. Or maybe the modding kit will open up all sorts of cool things (please steal everything from TIE Fighter Collector's Edition thx).

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I enjoy this game but it's really hosed up how I can schlep back and forth between a few systems and earn 100,000s of thousands of credits off one mission, whereas killing two dozen fighters might get me 20k for defending some miners IF the game doesn't bug out and refuse to complete the mission. Some rebalancing to make mercenary life a little more profitable for the effort involved would be nice.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

fast cars loose anus posted:

Some rebalancing to make mercenary life a little more profitable for the effort involved would be nice.

A true successor to Elite Dangerous.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Now that I've beaten the game I am still quite happy with it overall and apparently there might be DLC so that's nice

Honestly I will probably spend an inordinate amount of time playing fake 8 ball now like how I fished for along time after beating far cry 5

Knight007au
May 8, 2007
Has anyone been been able to get the asteroids high score? I finished the game a while ago but just can get that high score for the secret mission.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

This is a really fun 8-ball game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Knight007au posted:

Has anyone been been able to get the asteroids high score? I finished the game a while ago but just can get that high score for the secret mission.

Yeah, on my second try.

Stay still as much as possible and don't stop shooting.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I beat it, but it took me a while. It's worth it, though.

Never tried staying still for long. Seems to me the enemy ships would easily bullseye you on higher levels.

But if Gort beat it on his second attempt, better listen to him, not me.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I think the enemy ships shoot randomly

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Two new space ships!

A Platypus variant with one main gun and two side-mounted turrets, and a modified police/merc heavy fighter - five guns, one missile mount, and a turret. Mobility like the Dingo, cargo like the Coyote.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 27, 2019

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Hannibal Rex posted:

Two new space ships!

A Platypus variant with one main gun and two side-mounted turrets, and a modified police/merc heavy fighter - five guns, one missile mount, and a turret. Mobility like the Dingo, cargo like the Coyote.

Where are you seeing this?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

quote:

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw Release version 1.17 (September 26, 2019) - 726MB

NEW SHIPS!
--> The SPZ: Available Everywhere
The SPZ is a thoroughly gutted Pathfinder Plus chassis outfitted with dual side-mounted turrets. With only one primary weapon hardpoint and increased armor plating, it's an affordable option for the single-minded pilot who wants their defenses to take care of themselves while they get down to business.

--> The Foxbat: Available at Police Stations and Bountiful Vista
The Foxbat is a decommissioned police craft, refurbished for civilian use. Its excellent speed and maneuverability are supported by an underslung turret mount.

OPTIMIZATIONS
*A whole bunch of console optimization work has made it into the PC build, which should further improve performance on low to mid range machines
*Character model optimizations
*Some new level of detail (LODS) for larger station objects/planetary gates
*Texture optimizations
*Load time optimizations
*Tons of memory allocation optimizations
*CPU optimizations
*Just a whole lot of optimizations, y'all.

BUG FIXES
*Unequipping a weapon with a turret active would have a temporary turret scale issue in the scene. Now...it doesn't!
*Some minor scene geometry fixes. Doorways should stay put now, we promise.
*A few bartenders had an animation/gesture bug in their intro animation. Now they don't!
*Some minor pool animation tweaks on a male character
*Numerous minor fixes
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

And where are you seeing those? All the patch notes I can find are from a month ago

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It's from the discord. Patch 1.17 is already live, so just head to any shipyard in game for the SPZ, or to Bountiful Vista or a police station for the Foxbat.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I finally thought I'd upgrade to a Coyote, even though I didn't have the cash to go all in on max systems. Then everything scaled to hell until I popped cheatengine to correct that and full upped to mk4 stuff. Now everything is hilarious. A 25-ship armada with guns that fire out to an 8k range spamming missiles accompanying a target that can activate his Plot Drive and warp out of sight? That's a 24k green job. :v:

Going to roll through the plot and call it a day. Good game wrapped in bad scaling, rating it a Morrowind/10.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Are the new ships the type that you can only fit below level 4 components?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The SPZ is an upgraded starter ship. Level 2 powerplant, level 3 shields. it only has one main gun, so the powerplant is enough.

The Foxbat is and endgame Combat ship, like the Coyote, Dingo or Blood Eagle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I finished this today. 53 hours, I liked it. It's perfect to just fire up and fool around in without having to think much. Too bad it's also so shallow, there's not many worthwhile goals that don't involve blowing stuff up.

I bfdo hope they end up releasing the modding tools. And that the release on Steam revitalizes the game enough to get people making mods.

Word of advice is to get going on the story and side missions as soon as possible, it takes quite a while to finish everything. The game started dragging on for me by the end when I just wanted to finish the story.