Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There's a new patch with a new ship and three new weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Is there any way to get the game to treat one of my 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ triggers as an analog throttle?

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
The game has just been released on Steam, and I have to say it's a total steal at $30.

I bought it soon after release, but only recently really got into it, and I love how natural the combat feels. Though that meant I did a whole bunch of random missions so I could upgrade my ship while ignoring the plot and now I seem a wee bit overpowered for the plot missions. But it's still great fun.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Out on PSN today, nice!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'll re-ask a question I had when the game first came out, before anyone had really beaten it. Is there a proper campaign, with interesting, hand-designed missions or is it all pretty much repeatable content with a loose story hung over it? At the end of the day, I need some sort of impetus in these types of games that's more than "get bigger ship."

Mordja fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 23, 2020

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Mordja posted:

I'll re-ask a question I had when the game first came out, before anyone had really beaten it. Is there a proper campaign, with interesting, hand-designed missions or is it all pretty much repeatable content with a loose story hung over it? At the end of the day, I need some sort of impetus in these types of games that's more than "get bigger ship."

I haven't finished it yet, but there is a plot with specific hand designed missions that sometimes throw a gameplay twist at you, as well as some character side quests and a set of quests to kit out your own space station.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I grinded enough money to get the best fighter ship at the time, but I ended up going back to the Durston just to basically run around like a gunship, also because it's more profitable to have the space to tractor everything you kill. I bought this around launch on EGS. I ended up putting it down, haven't played it since.

Any guide as to where the new ships to buy are located? and have they added new systems since then?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

There’s a grindable player “house” station in the Eureka system that will sell four new ships and a couple other somewhat hard to acquire ships. I call it grindable because all the expansions are generic fetch quests from the ends of the sector. They can be done alongside the main quest if you keep a ship with decent cargo room.

The main story missions have some light scripted events but are very, very similar to the endless content missions. Most of the story exposition is dialogue between Juno and someone else that wants to meet in person on a space station somewhere despite this being The Future with video cell phones and poo poo.

It was a fun little time game and I’ll probably dink around again if I get a better video card but it’s shallower than e.g. Freelancer (not a particularly deep game).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mordja posted:

There is a proper campaign. The unique missions for the campaign are ok, but nothing you haven't seen before if you've played classic space sims. Certainly not up to the level of Freespace, this is a throwback game with throwback design. Like, mid-90s throwback.

The plot itself is not the usual video game though, it's a refreshingly small-scale story. If you are bored of having to save the universe in every single goddamn game, this one is at least different. The story was what kept me going to the end, even though I finished the game with very mixed feelings.

Interesting coincidence, I went back to the original Rebel Galaxy just a few weeks ago and replayed it (that game goes pretty quick once you know all the tricks to make boatloads of money). The plot in that game is super generic wonderbread, the main impetus is "get a bigger ship", but still... it's much better at being fun.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really like that it's a game all about flying around in space but you can get actual large ships. Large and powerful ships with lots of turrets and mighty broadsides. A shame the Blackgate is so ugly from behind in the default camera though. It kinda looks like a flattened frog and the turrets are almost all placed on the flat top. The sorcerer looks a lot better but for some reason it has two turrets on each side directly behind the big X section which limits their firing arcs. Would've been a lot better if those were mounted on the X tips I think.

They really did great work with working around the lack of a z-axis. Honestly I kinda prefer it to the full 3d of hopelessly spinning around in circles trying to figure out where that one pesky strikecraft went, but I've heard the sequel is good at that bit?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I didn’t super care for Rebel Galaxy because space seems wasted if it’s on a 2D plane. I should give it another shot though. And to be fair, Freelancer was also mostly on a 2D plane despite being able to go up and down.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Poil posted:

They really did great work with working around the lack of a z-axis. Honestly I kinda prefer it to the full 3d of hopelessly spinning around in circles trying to figure out where that one pesky strikecraft went, but I've heard the sequel is good at that bit?

The sequel is full 3d but has a button you can press that will automatically turn you towards whichever craft you're locked on to. The battles can get a bit chaotic but you can pause and go to the targeting menu, look at what's around, select your next target, and then since you're locked on you can just home in on it once you unpause.

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
Okay I can't find anything about this, but I got ahold of this mission randomly in Montana on my way to finish the first Story Mission:

Can't figure out the difference between human transplants and thralls? is it if I tractor them in as slaves or not?

Lokee fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 24, 2020

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Transplants are organs, not people (“human transplants” in that sense would be what, colonists?). You can’t harvest organs yourself. Have to buy them (there are maps with market info) or get extremely lucky in plucking them off another smuggler.

Edit: I think the confusion is that “human organs” is another commodity, but these could be non-human organs for transplantation in humans.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 24, 2020

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
Yep that was totally the issue, looked up where to buy transplants and trekked out to sweetwater. Sandhawk gud :toot:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Got this on Switch now that it's out, and I've been enjoying it for the most part. I was hoping to be more into the trading/mercantile side of things, but these source missions are pretty lame when I can't scrounge up enough of the target resource after hitting half a dozen systems. Feels like I should trade in my Durston and go all in on the mercenaries guild.

Combat still eludes me sometimes too. I try to use targeting mode frequently to ensure that I'm not being surrounded, but when there are more than three guys on me, I can't seem to find a good way to handle it. I'm currently stuck on the story mission where you have to use the EMP missiles on six police ships, who just tear me apart.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The AI is ruthless if you try to just focus on doing one thing, they all gang up on you and their weapons hurt. Doing a flyby past friendlies will usually split off some of your tail, closely rounding asteroids or big friendlies can work as well.

The most important ship stat is speed, and engine power determines the max (unboosted) speed, so keeping your shields and weapons low to get away from enemies can increase your survival odds more than being 5% beefier. Get away from the action a bit then zoom past your tail and take targets of opportunity.

This may be a play style thing, maybe you can tank up in a hauler but I preferred to have the option to Go Fast in the faster hybrids, and there are enough procedural fights and ambushes that I wanted to be able to walk awayzoom into the void.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
What I ended up doing was getting the durston, have most of my hardpoints be cannons that dont cost any energy to fire, and the best shield. Very tanky stuff. Just balance shields a few times while you murder everything in sight

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah the cannons which just fire actual shells are excellent choices all the way through the game but they're really key early when you don't have a lot of options.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

404notfound posted:

Combat still eludes me sometimes too. I try to use targeting mode frequently to ensure that I'm not being surrounded, but when there are more than three guys on me, I can't seem to find a good way to handle it. I'm currently stuck on the story mission where you have to use the EMP missiles on six police ships, who just tear me apart.
That mission is easily the biggest gently caress you in the whole game. The only way I eventually managed to beat it was to grind myself so OP that the cops couldn't really touch me.
The game is pretty amazing but badly needs more balancing. Hopefully that's something that can be fixed with mods on PC at least.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Also of note, if you use the drift mode (hold the decrease speed button) and then turn pointing backwards along your vector, enemies tailing you sometimes get really confused and easily shot down.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Also don't forget your summonable buddy. I'm not sure how much damage they do, but having another ship to draw off a bunch of enemy attention is really valuable.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Lodin posted:

That mission is easily the biggest gently caress you in the whole game. The only way I eventually managed to beat it was to grind myself so OP that the cops couldn't really touch me.
The game is pretty amazing but badly needs more balancing. Hopefully that's something that can be fixed with mods on PC at least.

Yeah, I'm at that mission, and I don't know how you are supposed to do it.

What bothers me is that the threat level indicator is essentially broken. I think it's based only on your weapons, and not anything else.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yeah, I'm at that mission, and I don't know how you are supposed to do it.

Get a sandhawk, being small and fast is really good in that mission. Since you're firing an unguided projectile you need to close on the guys quick. Also I think there's a gun with the same or similar speed bullet as the emp, equip those so you have a useful lead reticle. Use auto-follow to get yourself oriented to a cop ship, but then let off on it and try to fly manually until you're closer -- auto-follow also tries to match speed with enemies and you want to get close.

I hit that mission while I was still using the starter ship, it's 100% a gear check where you need to get a combat ship and some decent gear in shields, power, and boosters. But not unreasonably so, just have everything leveled up from the basics.

(OTOH when I hit that mission I was still in the starter ship and just mainlining the story, because I was hoping some story mission would dump enough money on me to buy a better ship. Nope, you get to grind random missions in the completely awful starter ship. I was about 10 minutes from breaking out cheat engine on the game when I found a 100k reward cargo mission I could actually do.)

quote:

What bothers me is that the threat level indicator is essentially broken. I think it's based only on your weapons, and not anything else.

The way it worked in the original RG and how I think it still does in RG:O is that all your stuff -- ship, guns, and gear -- has a number that is its "level", but threat is compared against whatever the highest level item you have is.

Original RG had a way bigger spread of power levels than RG:O though, and way more level scaling on the enemies. What that meant was that you could trap yourself by buying or finding one high-level item and putting it on a ship where everything else was crap. RG:O has less range from bottom to top in stats, and much less enemy scaling... but that means the early game is extremely hard and the endgame is a cakewalk.

Anyways in RG:O if you're still in the starter ship and starting to hate the game, def use cheat engine to give yourself 150k cash because that has way more impact than player skill.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The first game had fun things like

Oh a low danger delivery mission for a decent amount of credits.
Tum de dum cruising along and-
BZAP!
Engine impaired
Threat level: red
Surrounded by wall of Greel strike craft

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Yeah, I've got my ship build such that I'm usually an getting hosed.

It's annoying that one of the broken things about the first game is broken.

Like, when this game is good, it's really good. And when it's bad, it's loving terrible. It's really frustrating, and I hope they can get it better with time. It's not a complete waste, but there are some things that are just bullshit.

One way to fix it would be to track how many times you've died during a mission. And if it's not a high risk mission or higher, be like "oh poo poo, we've miscalculated. Let's bring down the difficulty."

Or make the calculations easier to understand. Because nothing sucks more than getting hosed because the game decides that something is low risk because you have a really powerful gun.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gork da Ork
Jul 26, 2008
I love this game's accessibility. There's basically two ways to play:

Fast travel somewhere, hold "follow and match speed", let gimbaled weapons do their thing. Boom! Bam! Explosions!

Alternatively, remap your controls for something better. Manually drop out at a distance, assess the situation, make a plan. Proceed to boom-and-zoom, inertia drift, and use asteroids/refineries to cover your 6. Occasionally pop into tactical view to make good use of allied ships. Roll your ship to align weapon mounts with target's profile. Turn on "Aim Assist Only W/ Autopursuit" so you can shoot down missiles when jousting. Hold autopursuit to take eyes off target and glue them to your radar, always intercept manually, abuse overlapped turret killzones, flip between weapons based on enemy shields/range....

The top-level polish means you *can* play this as a space-mining RPG without learning how to fly. But while it's no Freespace, the depth is there of you want it and you can bite off as much as you can chew.