Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'll be honest, I'm still only vaguely sure I understood the actual overall plot of Trinyvale but the episode where they're stuck in a trapped simulation of their shared apartment is still one of my favorite things they've ever done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Yeah, i never even finished Trinyvale, i zoned way the gently caress out during the part where everyone was playing Caldwell's NPCs but the one shots are stellar. I've listened to those multiple times.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i wish they would release the live sonic trinyvale crossover episodes

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I’m on episode 2 of Trinyvale now and Caldwell is much improved already, plus the voice he’s doing for Otto is killing me. If this campaign is just an excuse for Caldwell to do a ton of silly voices I’m on board.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

TL posted:

Enjoying the characters and goofs so far, but with Caldwell’s shaky DMing Trinvyvale is a real departure, at least early on.

about halfway through they start doing it weekly for the rest of its run and figure out what the campaign actually is: no serious plot or actual character drama, but instead Always Sunny In Trinyvale as the pc's become worse and shittier and more codependent

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
The episode where everything really starts to take off for me is the cooking contest for the cave entrance. After that point it feels like everyone has figured out their characters and it's also one of my favorite Caldwell encounters.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HoboTech posted:

The episode where everything really starts to take off for me is the cooking contest for the cave entrance. After that point it feels like everyone has figured out their characters and it's also one of my favorite Caldwell encounters.

Yeah I just listened to this one recently and it's really started to take off. The characters are just so great

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
I'm another one who gave up on Trinyvale's main run, but everything since with the characters has been gold. The metal city mayhem two-shot ,where they break Sonic the Hegehog's spirit, and the live pet show are some of my favourite things they've done

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Definitely enjoyed episode 2 of Trinyvale more, but I think I do prefer Murph’s method of DMing a bit more than Caldwell’s. I’m going to move on to Hot Boy Summer and then Eldermourne but keep Trinyvale as an occasional palate cleanser.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Like others have said Trinyvale takes a little while to get going but once Emily, Murph and Jake settle into their characters and start enabling each other's bullshit it is absolutely hilarious.

The Trinyvale X Bahumia episodes (Caldwell DMs the first arc of campaign 1 with Jens, Nyack and Onyx) had me in absolute loving stitches, the Triplets are just the absolute worst people.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just thinking back on Bahumia. Did they ever address Akarot’s phylacteries? Weren’t they still floating around.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

TL posted:

Just thinking back on Bahumia. Did they ever address Akarot’s phylacteries? Weren’t they still floating around.

addressed in this video https://youtu.be/0iZHriEhbns?si=uZX64xT1R2tWAFj4

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I don't think I've ever seen pictures of the cast and man it feels really, really weird seeing them.

Then again I always feel that way about people where I've heard their voice a million times but never seen them, it feels like.. uncanny somehow I guess

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Caldwell is unacceptably hot for a goofy art nerd

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I don't think I've ever seen pictures of the cast and man it feels really, really weird seeing them.

Then again I always feel that way about people where I've heard their voice a million times but never seen them, it feels like.. uncanny somehow I guess

My friend, there is so much Dimension 20 for you to go watch.

(I guess it’s just Emily and Murph, but still).

I’m also curious if you’ve ever seen an old CollegeHumor sketch with Jake in it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Xand_Man posted:

there's that 30 rock line about how jon hamm looks like a cartoon fighter pilot and i feel like that applies to caldwell and his intimidating jawline

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

My friend, there is so much Dimension 20 for you to go watch.

(I guess it’s just Emily and Murph, but still).

I’m also curious if you’ve ever seen an old CollegeHumor sketch with Jake in it.

I've heard really good things about dimension 20 but never seen it, I gotta try it out eventually though

Also I think I've only ever seen a handful of collegehumor sketches? Idk it was never really something I followed for whatever reason. So I guess I might've but I definitely don't remember it I suppose?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If you like naddpod, you will like dimension 20, you’ll pretty quickly see how naddpod was inspired by it. Brennan is a hell of a DM, too. No sleight intended against Murph, he’s a heavy weight too, but you can see where he gets it from

And yeah I would have never guessed how swole Caldwell is

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

If you like naddpod, you will like dimension 20, you’ll pretty quickly see how naddpod was inspired by it. Brennan is a hell of a DM, too. No sleight intended against Murph, he’s a heavy weight too, but you can see where he gets it from

And yeah I would have never guessed how swole Caldwell is

its possible dimension 20 was inspired by naddpod considering naddpod premiered early february 2018 and fantasy high premiered september of that year. i also just remembered that brennan’s remote cabin game that emily and murph discuss occasionally in short rests predates both so thats probably the genesis. id bet naddpod started recording within a week of fantasy high’s recording sessions

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Nvm ignore this I’m wrong

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Xand_Man posted:

He has no business radiating that much Just A Lil' Guy energy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

its possible dimension 20 was inspired by naddpod considering naddpod premiered early february 2018 and fantasy high premiered september of that year. i also just remembered that brennan’s remote cabin game that emily and murph discuss occasionally in short rests predates both so thats probably the genesis. id bet naddpod started recording within a week of fantasy high’s recording sessions

You know, I never looked into the timing, I always just assumed D20 came first. But if a Brennan home game was the inspiration for both shows I still consider myself to be more or less right

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

https://youtu.be/W2o7WBhAxIs?si=yqCjz1VSznq510TW

edit: This is presumably the music that forces Princess Peach to ball*

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 24, 2024

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Really digging Eldermourne so far. The voice Murph was using for the ghost of Sebastian Fenrose may be the most hilariously irritating one I’ve heard him use so far.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I took the plunge and signed up for the Patreon. I wasn’t sure where to start with Short Rest, so I decided to just start where I was in the campaign (episode 7 of Eldermourne). If Short Rest is what I’ve heard so far (occasionally discussing the campaign but mostly just goofing around), then this was a bargain. I’m so enjoying it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

TL posted:

I took the plunge and signed up for the Patreon. I wasn’t sure where to start with Short Rest, so I decided to just start where I was in the campaign (episode 7 of Eldermourne). If Short Rest is what I’ve heard so far (occasionally discussing the campaign but mostly just goofing around), then this was a bargain. I’m so enjoying it.

It’s gotta be one of the best values in podcast subscriptions out there yeah, it’s crazy what you get for just 5 bucks. I moved up to the 10 dollar tier but accidentally marked all my episodes as played so I no longer have any idea where I left off listening to mixed bags, I should see if someone put together a feed just for those or something. I’m sure some nerd must have

Some of the tangents they go off on are as memorable as anything they’ve done in the campaign, I think Emily is just a chaos angel in real life

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I will never forget some of the jokes from the mixed bags, they're amazingly good times

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

TL posted:

congrats, you now have a reason to listen through campaign 1 again once you're caught up 😈

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Murph - Cloud Strife
Emily - Aerith Gainsborough
Caldwell - Cait Sith
Jake - Johnny

Ed:

Siobhan - Jessie Rasberry
Zac - Vincent Valentine
Lou - Barret Wallace
Amir - Yuffie Kisaragi
Brennan - Zack Fair
Nathan (as Tonathan Tinkle) - Red XIII
Nathan (as Wilton) - Kyrie Canaan
Adam - Biggs

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 22, 2024

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I went back to listen to the one-shot in Kongo Bongo Land, and it may have been the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. There were times what Murph was saying was so dumb, he couldn’t get it out without laughing.

10/10, no notes, will listen every Bananksgiving.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I just got to the Frostwind episodes of C1 and think I might need to sign up for the short rests to see the reactions to The Princess and The Bastard.

Immensely enjoying how these dwarves escalate yet nullify goof attempts from the party.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Democratic Pirate posted:

I just got to the Frostwind episodes of C1 and think I might need to sign up for the short rests to see the reactions to The Princess and The Bastard.

Immensely enjoying how these dwarves escalate yet nullify goof attempts from the party.

No joke I don't think there's a better value for entertainment. About every short rest is wild

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Democratic Pirate posted:

Short Rest is critical for the full NADDPOD experience

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, the short rests are absolute value for the money, especially now that it effectively means getting two episodes of whatever off-week content they do every other week.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah absolutely get the 5/mo tier if you have the budget for it, they could be charging double and I’d still say it would be worth it. Short rests have some of the funniest bits of the show in them

Also the parts where they actually talk about the episode are interesting and insightful but the goof energy is unparalleled

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was worried I’d miss Caldwell while he went on paternity leave, but Jabari is absolutely incredible. I was sold the moment the sorceress turned into ravens and flew off, and his first thought being “Jabari had done a good thing!”. Plus, Emily and Jake are doing a great job playing off of him. Really digging this arc

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

TL posted:

I was worried I’d miss Caldwell while he went on paternity leave, but Jabari is absolutely incredible. I was sold the moment the sorceress turned into ravens and flew off, and his first thought being “Jabari had done a good thing!”. Plus, Emily and Jake are doing a great job playing off of him. Really digging this arc

Yeah, Lou Wilson absolutely stole the show during that arc. Like, on some shows a guest showing up and absolutely overshadowing the main cast could have been a problem but everyone was clearly having an absolute blast so it worked out.

Jake also goes away for paternity leave later, but it's after they've dropped to a saner "one campaign episode every two weeks" schedule and they were able to record a bunch of episodes in anticipation, so he's really only absent for some of the short rests and off-week episodes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

docbeard posted:

Yeah, Lou Wilson absolutely stole the show during that arc. Like, on some shows a guest showing up and absolutely overshadowing the main cast could have been a problem but everyone was clearly having an absolute blast so it worked out.

Jake also goes away for paternity leave later, but it's after they've dropped to a saner "one campaign episode every two weeks" schedule and they were able to record a bunch of episodes in anticipation, so he's really only absent for some of the short rests and off-week episodes.

Yeah I was impressed at how seamless it felt. I think the cadence they’ve settled into of switching between campaign and goofy bullshit episodes has been a great choice, the variety is fun for me as a listener, but it seems like it also takes a lot of the pressure off them to prep and record.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I was impressed at how seamless it felt. I think the cadence they’ve settled into of switching between campaign and goofy bullshit episodes has been a great choice, the variety is fun for me as a listener, but it seems like it also takes a lot of the pressure off them to prep and record.

This is pretty much the only actual play podcast I listen to where the off weeks aren't a little disappointing. D&D Court is almost more fun than the main campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, I'm sure this is particularly true now that they're touring a significant amount (and also now that two of them are parents of young children).