Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if you havent watched Hot Date the tv show you should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

tsob posted:

I imagine there's some functional reason they've struck on Survivor as the game show go to, be it that they can assume more people are familiar with it than others, that the rules are simple to explain and not too convoluted to play through while improving around them in fun ways or what have you.

survivor’s structure is:

social encounter
game encounter
vote off
repeat

so its exceptionally well-suited to reskinning to d&d compared to other reality shows

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

docbeard posted:

I may need to find a jumping on point just to hear the reaction the first time she declares "I'm casting a spell but I'm not going to tell you what it is"

you can start from this episode i think

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

NieR Occomata posted:

I think Dimension 20 specifically dodges that problem only because they have the exact same cast of seven for their “main campaigns” and the almost always end up playing variants on a theme - Ally will play someone who is queer, often trans, and they will make a bunch of anachronistic references and have insane luck, Siobhan will play a caster (or caster variant) who has difficulty connecting with others in some way, Emily plays someone or something with spells and is usually the biggest wildcard of the group, Lou plays a cool fighter black dude, Zac plays someone who is dumb and strong and is usually easily misled, and Murph plays the honorable straight man who is usually a fighter type (and often works in direct support of Emily). It becomes a lot easier to parse once you realize that no matter the setting or the campaign everyone plays pretty much the same sort of character in all of them, and the times they don’t are usually specifically commentaries or inversions of the characters they “usually” play.

I do agree however that Critical Role absolutely falls into that problem partially because the cast size is huge but I think more than that their philosophy is that they have a bunch of actors acting, so they assume roles, as opposed to D20 (and to a much more obvious extent, NADDPOD) viewing it as essentially a fantasy sketch show. Like, if you watch sketch shows/improv, any sort of role-based comedy with groups of people, they fall onto easy characters and have specific roles they play, from stuff like ITSYL to Mr. Show to everything in between, even SNL. It’s easier for comedy to work when the audience is already primed for the “type” of character people play no matter the situation they are in, so you get stuff like no matter what campaign setting D20 is set the main group kind of always plays similar characters, or stuff like NADDPOD having Emily play the queer hypersexual wild card, Jake the put-upon straight man, and Caldwell playing the weird little guy. It creates a common language to make the comedy easier to digest.

matt besser hypothesized that every good improviser is either a ninja, robot or pirate: ninjas play along but put out insane subtle moves, robots rigidly stick to the “game” and ground the world, and pirates are wackadoo crazy types that constantly throw out weird moves. i would say emily and caldwell are both pirates, jake is a ninja, and murph is a robot

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Also they just never finished the story.

Fake edit: No mentions of James Ensor (Belgiums famous painter) for all the art history in Brussels.

iirc there are never “good ends” in goosebumps cyoa books, just more elaborate bad ends. theyre perfect for this feature

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

found something in baldur's gate 3

from the 5e monster manual. can you imagine if murph enforced 3/day

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
iirc she was given it by a myconid in the tunnels under galaderon

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

timp posted:

Agreed.

My hope is that they’ll reach out to Jake Hurwitz of former Jake & Amir fame to guest next. You might not have thought about him since 2009 but he’s still around, and I feel like his energy would work well with the 8-Bit Book Club vibe.

But yeah it’s also nice that they can easily and swiftly move along to the next guest after him and there will be no love lost whatsoever. Absolutely none

the cake guy actually was jake hurwitz. thats why he called himself “cake hurwitz”

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Xand_Man posted:

are you sure? that doesn't seem right. I thought he said his name was Jack something

i distinctly remember hearing “cake hurwitz” but they mightve just been talking about jake hurwitz’s rear end, which could even be what made that other poster think they should have him as a guest

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Calexio posted:

I'm relistening to a bunch of D&D Courts. The first one has the court ruling in favour of returning from banishment not bringing you back to the space you were in on a moving vehicle (in this case a ship) but where you were at the time of banishment relative to the world, so in this case in the air over empty sea. Where do other folks stand on this? I don't know if there's any official advice in rulebooks etc but I can never decide if I agree with them or not. At what point does movement of the "space" relative to the world stop mattering? What about some sort of flying city or other huge area? Would a small mount like a horse count in the same way?

Not a huge deal that I'd get mad at either way in my games just curious what others think. In similar situations as DM, I'm usually happy to roll with whatever we establish as a group consensus, as long as folks aren't trying to get away with real cheeky clearly-against-the-rules stuff.

i think in a later d&d court someone takes this to its logical conclusion that you should return from banishment in the void of space because of the planet’s movement around the sun

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Does DnD take place in a heliocentric world?

it doesnt matter if its heliocentric as long as it takes place on a planet moving through space

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

eke out posted:

They should just go ahead and hire Brennan already, it'd be so much fun.

nah id rather see jake and caldwell on d20

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

he owns the company that makes a lot of their exploits possible, so bulma

its this

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its amusing how judgmental naddpod has made me about other dnd shows

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Not Operator posted:

I thought i was used to Emily being weird, but i was simply not prepared in any way for her to be smell-testing energy drinks because she doesn't want to damage her temporary root canal filling.

i think thats less weird than her behavior during the last energy drink taste test, even putting aside her alternative interpretations of tang and bang

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
listening to the ice knife saga, its insane that murph hasnt seen The Thing.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
trinyvale gets really good once murph, emily and jake fully comprehend that caldwell’s setting and narrative are as unhinged as he is

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i wish they would release the live sonic trinyvale crossover episodes

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

TL posted:

Just thinking back on Bahumia. Did they ever address Akarot’s phylacteries? Weren’t they still floating around.

addressed in this video https://youtu.be/0iZHriEhbns?si=uZX64xT1R2tWAFj4

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

If you like naddpod, you will like dimension 20, you’ll pretty quickly see how naddpod was inspired by it. Brennan is a hell of a DM, too. No sleight intended against Murph, he’s a heavy weight too, but you can see where he gets it from

And yeah I would have never guessed how swole Caldwell is

its possible dimension 20 was inspired by naddpod considering naddpod premiered early february 2018 and fantasy high premiered september of that year. i also just remembered that brennan’s remote cabin game that emily and murph discuss occasionally in short rests predates both so thats probably the genesis. id bet naddpod started recording within a week of fantasy high’s recording sessions

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

TL posted:

I finished Lou’s guest arc, I’m pumped Caldwell is back…but please tell me this isn’t the last we hear of the Hexbuds.

im sorry you have to find out this way.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah it definitely defied the curse of being unable to bottle the lightning of a successful first season, it just gets better and better the more they do it. I imagine making enough money off it to not need day jobs helps, but then you have to assume the mcelroys must’ve been at that point ages ago too

sure, but the mcelroys are talentless hacks

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if it wasnt confirmed before, this episode cements jens as the funniest character in any of the campaigns

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just cackling every time he calls eggman dr harvey kintobor

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
eldermourne was really great. i understand why some people didnt like it but it worked for me, start to finish

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
im skeptical of the authenticity of many of the cases

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Man guests on one episode of 8bit book club and people already want him to DM a series. Slow your roll guys, we have to make sure he's actually a good fit for the pod

youre not going to believe this, but jake plays hardwon surefoot, hank uhh quack, and calder kilday. we already know hes a good fit, if anything its strange that he hasnt been on more of the 8BBC mixed bags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

pseudosavior posted:

Wait, Jake, the lowly bailiff Jake?

Big if true.

yeah its the same guy. he was on jake & amir apparently too but ive never heard of that before so it might not be relevant