Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Not Another D&D Podcast is an actual play D&D 5e podcast brought to you by the Headgum Podcast Network.

Podcast feed: https://warp.gumballcdn.com/v1/rss?uuid=1d7dc36663&rss=https://rss.art19.com/not-another-d-and-d-podcast

2022 EDIT: We're on Season 3 now. Does anybody even read megathread OPs anymore?? Just jump in and start chatting, we'll do our best not to spoil you if you let us know you're midway through a campaign!

THE BAND OF BOOBS

Emily Axford - Moonshine Cybin, "Crick Elf", Spore Druid
"Crick elf Druid and heir to the Crick Mee Maw. Her people were ostracized by the High Elves to the dank shores of the Crick, where they set up their stumps and threw a rager of a crawdaddy boil. Lover of fungus and ambassador of decay. Purveyor of fine hospitality and even finer vengeance. Known for her jambalaya, gumbo, wrasslin', and lawyerin'. Freckled, ferocious, and dangerously fertile.
Moonshine is accompanied by her loyal oppossum and scribe, Paw Paw Gump, who is known for his fine scramblin' and his excellent lawyerin'."

You may know Emily from: Former CollegeHumor writer/cast member, Comedy writer and co-author of the book "HEY, U UP? (For a Serious Relationship): How to Turn Your Booty Call into Your Emergency Contact"

Jake Hurwitz - Hardwon Surefoot, Human, Great Weapons Fighter
"The Bastard of the Mountain, a human fighter raised by dwarves. Thick of calf and quad, 6 foot 6 of muscle and beard. The Great Axe of Irondeep, Pride of the Dwarfanage, The Oft Dead. Having dug further into the Irondeep Mountains than any man or dwarf before him, Hardwon believes his next great adventure lies above ground, and has set off to see the world."

You may know Jake from: Former CollegeHumor writer/cast member, Host of If I Were You, advice podcast with Amir Blumenfeld

Caldwell Tanner - Beverly Toegold V, Halfling, Oath of the Ancients Paladin
"A teenaged "City Halfling" from the Cloud-wreathed summit of Upper Galaderon. Beverly is part of the Green Teens, a group of junior paladins who strive to honor the Order of the Ancients, and also collect as many merit patches as possible. He hopes to one day become a full-fledged Green Knight like his father before him; but for now he'll settle with trying to keep his new scoutmasters from getting brutally murdered by all manner of man and monster."

You may know Caldwell from: Drawfee YouTube show, Animator for Disney Channel's Big City Greens

Brian Murphy - Dungeon Master (All NPCs)
"Creator of Bahumia and voice to all the heroes, villains, nobles, and thieves that inhabit it. Tolerator of goofs and distributer of consequences."

You may know Brian from: Former CollegeHumor writer/cast member, Comedy writer and co-author of the book "HEY, U UP? (For a Serious Relationship): How to Turn Your Booty Call into Your Emergency Contact"

VERY GENERAL AND LOOSE PLOT THAT WON'T SPOIL A NEW LISTENER

Not Another D&D Podcast follows three unlikely adventures (who eventually take on the unofficial nickname "The Band of Boobs") as they travel around the land of Bahumia in the wake of a giant conflict between good and evil centered around a party of three heroic and godlike adventurers. Just to be clear, NADDPOD is not about these heroic adventures who defeated evil incarnate and brought peace to the land. It's about the Band of Boobs.

If you're a fan of The Adventure Zone's Balance Arc, you will almost definitely love NaDDpod. Stolen from a post I made in the McElroy thread:

quote:

NADDPOD is a perfect spiritual successor for TAZ Balance.

- Takes place in a completely original world created by DM Brian Murphy that combines fantasy with more modern elements like trains and elevators (sound familiar?)
- Started adding music in post (written by Emily Axford aka Mooshine Cybin, one of the players)
- DM just announced on a Patreon live stream the other day that he has now essentially made NADDPOD his full time job, and they have the next 3-4 sessions recorded already
- Weekly eps released every Thursday like clockwork
- TONS of goofs
- All three player characters are endearing and have great chemistry
- Memorable NPCs with a lot of personality

timp fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Phlag posted:

I love these guys. It's probably my most anticipated podcast each week these days.

They also have a Patreon. $5 per month gets you access to the weekly "Short Rest" podcast, a behind the scenes, out of character discussion about that week's episode.

HIGHLY recommend Short Rest. Totally worth the minimum $5/month, and one of the only Patreon's I've ever subscribed to due solely to the offer of their extra content.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

NeuroticLich posted:

So I listened to the first episode last night, and I’m already kinda in love. It reminds me so much of early TAZ: Balance, which is still my gold standard for a comedy RPG podcast. I was nearly in tears during the exchange between Beverly and the scoutmaster.

“So all I gotta do is get the gold back from those ruffians over there-“

“Nope. Don’t talk to them. Don’t get the gold back from them. That’s just a loss! Let’s just chalk that one up to a loss!”

Keep us updated as you make your way through the series! I loved hearing first impressions whenever a new listener would post TAZ reactions in the McElroy thread.

For everyone else:
New episode will presumably drop tomorrow as it does every Thursday. Maybe we should do spoiler tags when discussing the new ep for the next week or two as new folks find this thread and jump in from ep.1? What do y'all think?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

C'mon, PawPaw. Get back in my overalls!

https://i.imgur.com/LbAqwjZ.mp4

Paw Paw GIT!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

Oh absolutely listen from the beginning. There are continuing plot threads throughout. The pirate arc kinda does its own thing but you meet Apple Stumper, err, Crumper... Bumper? and she's a delight.

Scrumper. You were so close! :)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

eke out posted:

it's slang for a creek, like a relatively small stream of water

And Moonshine refers to anybody from The Crick as a Crick. Took me a while to catch on to that

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
(New episode spoilers)

Only about halfway through so far but holy poo poo. They may want to check their d20s and make sure they're not actually coins because Moonshine just got 3 20s in a row and Hardwon & The Watchman just rolled 1's. Like what the gently caress is going on over there?? They also had insane luck with 20s during the live show, like I seriously wonder if they got some hosed up dice.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Bumping to remind everyone that this show owns bones. How cool was all that eyeless/faceless Akarot stuff in the last episode? Very creepy and both a cool way to world build and drive the plot.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

That opening "fight" in the latest episode made me feel genuinely terrible. He didn't deserve that!

et tu, Penis??

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

mlmp08 posted:

This show owns and manages to thread the needle of jokes/BSing, getting the story to move along, and not railroading the players down the GM’s clear intended route.

Only bad part: they keep reminding me that P.O.D. was/is a thing.

I refuse to look this up but you’re talking about Puddle of Mudd right?? They didn’t refer to themselves as P.O.D. did they?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Not Operator posted:

Nah, different band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDKwCvD56kw&t=117s

I timestamped it. Do yourself a favour and turn it off after a few seconds.

e: Unless you have a whopping huge boner for christian nu metal, I mean.

Oh yeah, duhh

I totally combined those two Christian Nu-metal bands together in my head!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Farg posted:

He drowned in poo poo, on Christmas!

lil fucker had it comin!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The Patreon page has a link to an unlisted YouTube video, same as Ep. 1 did

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Phlag posted:

For Episode 1, an mp3 version was also posted to the main podcast feed 9 days after the livestream.
The videos are nice, but an mp3 is much more convenient and easier for me to consume. Oh well, not the end of the world.

Oh really? Dang, I wish I would have known that because I agree, the video is more cumbersome to listen to from my phone (fuggin YouTube refusing to play when the phone is locked) and I would have used that audio-only version if I had realized it was there! But yeah, as of right now it seems there's only that unlisted YouTube vid for Ep. 2. Maybe they'll upload it to the feed eventually, who knows.

Listening through Ep. 2 of Trineyvale and I'm definitely getting the same feeling I did during TAZ: Nights where I can acknowledge that this new person is definitely not a bad DM, but it really solidifies just how good the main DM of the group truly is (or maybe just how used to that person I've gotten). I also wish Caldwell would sloooow dooown a bit, and when he stumbles on words, just start again at that word instead of starting the whole ding-dang sentence over!

I feel bad though because you can tell he's nervous :ohdear: He's definitely a better improviser than he is at reading off pre-written scene descriptions.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Farg posted:

I totally called it y'all

I'm sorry to say that you did not appear to share what you "called" in this thread and, therefore, I am unable to award you with any Credits at this time

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
New NADDPod was good but I think this was probably the funniest Short Rest yet

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

eke out posted:

lol boy the gang sure does misread the situation attacking the dragon turtle even as Murph desperately tries to signal that this is Not A Combat Encounter You Can Win

I struggle with that as a player sometimes too. It's like, okay DM, you gave us this time limit and this goal, but now you've put this seemingly immovable object in our path. What will we get shamed for harder: giving up so easily on our original goal or picking an unwinnable fight? In most cases it's best to trust the DM in a situation like that, but there's also staying true to your character to consider... So yeah, even when the hints are obvious, it's still really easy to second guess the situation

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

eke out posted:

yeah, definitely. i was laughing listening because the polymorph attempt was almost as bad as giving the berry to that god

I can't even believe that could have succeeded, lol. That was a generous roll from Murph imo

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
“The Player’s Handbook”

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Double posting to say Oh poo poo! Something Awful shoutout!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

Have you tried The Glass Cannon?

It's Pathfinder but has a very good mix of comedy and humor.

The same group does a bunch of shows and are now the official Pathfinder podcast.

I have a weird sort of perspective to offer: I’ve never listened to Glass Cannon, but I am about 25 episodes through their sister show, Androids & Aliens. It’s a Starfinder game, which is essentially just Pathfinder in space, with mechanics for starship battles and zero-g combat (and apparently a couple other changes that have been throwing off the cast, but I’m also not very familiar with Pathfinder so I don’t catch all of them)

It’s been pretty good so far! The players and DM are clearly very experienced and the production quality is high. I’ve been getting a very Mass Effect-y vibe from the universe they’re in. If you’re craving some sci-fantasy RP in your life, you could do a lot worse than Androids & Aliens.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I definitely missed Hardwon during this episode, much sooner than I thought I might. His role within the Band of Boobs was vacant, and I could tell Jake wasn't able to be as involved as he usually is. Jivelin is funny, but he's quite one-note and not a great avatar for emoting.

I really hope the BoB can find a way to bring Hardwon back!! From the cursory Google searches I've done, I think their best bet is to stake him and then immediately revivify him. Which seems crazy, but afaik there's really no cure for vampirism; as it turns out, death is actually easier to cure than being a vampire is. The only other option would be if Murph allowed a god to cure it, but he's pretty by-the-books when it comes to lore and mechanics; I don't see him just waving a magic wand at the end of an arc and rewinding all the bad stuff that happened like a sitcom ending. Maybe they finally track down Kord and he forces Moonshine & Bev to choose between releasing Hardwon's mom from Galad's rule in Shadowfell OR restoring Hardwon to mortality. That would be a real pickle.

And this is all assuming they manage to kill his Maker AND the rest of her brood, who will surely come after them once they stake her. Goddamn this radio drama is so good!! :D

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

seaborgium posted:

I was always under the impression that an easier way to bring back a vampire is to kill it for good, then raise dead on the body. Assuming Hardwon was ok with them killing him to get him back, which he probably would be. Reincarnate would be funnier though.

I initially floated that idea, but the more I think about it, won’t Hardwon just turn to mist and float back to his new coffin when his HP goes to zero? And if they tried to kill kill him, I’m guessing he’d just straight up disappear.

In other words, what body?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I’m looking to get into Dimension 20, possibly today at work since NADDPOD is delayed until tonight. Would I be able to enjoy it via audio only, aka playing in a minimized tab, or does it need to be watched for some reason be fully appreciated?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

RC Cola posted:

GIVE ME A HEMP!

HEMP!

GIVE ME A MILK!

MILK!

YOU GOT YOUR HEMP, YOU GOT YOUR MILK

Jake loving killed me during that

“Listen to me. I’m going to ask you to give me a hemp. But here’s the thing: I want you to disobey me.”

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I’ve been binging through the 8-bit Book Club backlog (thanks for the suggestions, it’s pretty much my favorite podcast now) and it really is shocking to hear how many NADDPOD goofs originated from this show. I’m particularly surprised at how much inspiration Murph seemed to pull from the 2nd World of Warcraft book they read—there’s a Jenna and a Jaina who are dwarf sisters, and Emily keeps calling Jaina Gyna. The main character also goes on a vision quest to gain favor from all four elemental spirits. Like whaaaaat?! And then of course there’s all the DnD-adjacent episodes...

I’m on the episodes just after their summer hiatus and I’m sure there are even more references to come

PS: also Dimension 20 owns, add my glowing recommendation to the pile. In fact, Dropout owns! I’ve also enjoyed the other shows on there, especially Paranoia & Rank Room, upon which Murph, Caldwell, & Jake all have made guest appearances

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Everybody please be sure to

PRAISE
CHRIST
and
PICKLE YOUR
DICE

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ainsley McTree posted:

Eh, I thought it was funny :shrug:

Don’t worry, I was pretty much crying from laughing so hard at that. Different strokes and all that I guess!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

bowmore posted:

i loving love Pendegreens

Little detail that made me lol from the last episode: He has a sugar addiction and gets a headache when he doesn't have his Mountain Dew in the morning :lol:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I haven’t listened to the new episode yet but I absolutely cannot wait to hear Amir completely gently caress up Murph’s entire campaign and maybe even ruin DnD for Jake entirely

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Do you guys think the next episode will just open with a straight up and down death save, or will Murph do something in between, maybe like allow for some divine intervention or something?

Also just wanted to say I really appreciated everything leading up to the battle with the terrasque. All the dwarves fleeing in terror as soon as they saw it and Apple intimidating them into fighting was cool too

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TakenForGranite posted:

I was about to question how Bev was able to use revivify despite Pelor being dead... but then again, he has that connection to the Dusk Mother so It makes sense. He's got two dads to avenge now.

My theory is that in casting revivify (which Thieala totally knew he would cast and orchestrated the moment) he was reaching out with his heart in desperation to a higher power that could help bring Erlan back to life. Pelor wasn’t there to answer his prayer, but a certain new goddess on the scene was...

Beverly now draws his Paladin powers from Thieala. It also explains why Erlan was so horrified when he came back; he feels that connection to her. No idea what that’ll mean going forward but that’s my prediction!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
“I am my wife’s XP cow and she’s going to milk me”

- Brian “Murph” Murphy, 2020

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Can’t wait to see what this is all about. I don’t remember where exactly because I consume such an insane amount of content from these guys, but I remember hearing a couple people involved with D20 say something to the effect of “I can’t believe this was even possible as DnD” I think it was maybe Emily describing how mentally exhausted she was after each session. What could it possibly be??

Oh btw for anyone who hasn’t checked out Tiny Heist yet, DO IIIIT

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

It’s Game of Thrones meets Candyland. “A Crown of Candy”

Certainly not what I was expecting but I’m here for it! Judging by some of those clips it looks like some pretty wild poo poo goes down

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

seaborgium posted:

Are the mixed bags worth it? I like the short rests, I'm just trying to decide if I want to splurge and go to 10 bucks a month.

They truly are a mixed bag, from a quality standpoint as well.

The media reviews are usually pretty good, but maybe not if you haven’t seen what they’re reviewing. Any one shot DnD campaigns are typically solid imo, like the battle royale of 1/4 CR enemies or the one Emily DMed, and the more random ones like trivia or DnD rules crunch are personally my speed.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Balnor lives :unsmith:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ep. 99 was really good. I liked how Murph sort of inverted the usual "fight big battle, tie up storylines" method that most epics use and instead tied up a bunch of side character's stories in the penultimate episode instead. I mean I assume we'll have at least a little bit of post-battle content, but I like the series basically ending on the episode with the big battle instead of something like "Ep. 99: Big Battle. Ep. 100: Aftermath". Plus, this way he has free reign to kill any/all of them scott free! :getin:

Anybody else planning on attending the final episode live stream?

Saturday, May 9 @ 5:00 PM PST
https://twitch.tv/naddpod

I'll be there!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Today's Hearthside Chat:

JAKE: Where do they keep a lot of horses?

CALDWELL: Like a stable?

JAKE: But beyond that.

MURPH: A barn?

JAKE: Bigger, man.

MURPH: A ranch?!

CALDWELL: Ohhh...a horse hotel?

EMILY: A horseport

JAKE: A horseport. Thank you Emily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

eke out posted:

trinivale is really really good, i love Jens' status becoming so low that it looped around and became high again

Yeah I'll admit it took me a little while to warm up to it but now I really enjoy it, mostly to hear Murph play a shitboi PC. I loved the soulless, dead-eyed shark smile during all the reality TV show stuff, and how quickly he agreed to kill Onyx if she seemed like she was going to turn against them

Not to mention all the stepdad Ron hallucinating poo poo which has been hilarious. Gives me very strong McElroy boy vibes