Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I finally caught up to this podcast, and it’s the version of TAZ I always wanted it to be and kinda only was during the balance arc.

That being said I really didn’t much enjoy Eldermourne, it felt like a complicated mess of like fifteen different plots happening simultaneously and I couldn’t really find any purchase during it because it was so plot focused. It also didn’t help that I didn’t really like any of the characters besides Hank; Caldwell is best when he’s playing a weird little guy and Zirk was just kind of bland, Fia was a surprisingly subdued and kind of boring character for Emily to play which is…insane to think about considering how consistently incredible she is in this/D20 but here we are. Eldermourne didn’t suck per se and like this vest goof is an all-timer but it felt like it burned through a lot of its potential by getting caught in the slog of its narrative.

Campaign 3 is fuckin incredible though, such a strong return to form for everyone. Such incredible role playing and has that original magic of great comedy while being a genuinely enthralling world.

Also maybe this is bizarre of me to think but I might actually think Trinyvale/Hot Boy Summer(s) might be the best campaigns of NADDPOD, mostly because everyone is really good at playing completely irredeemable pieces of poo poo. Also I think Caldwell could say literally anything as Keychain and make me crack up.

I’d really like to see the whole gang on a season of D20, mostly to see how Jake and Caldwell do with Brennan as a DM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That live episode where Keychain goes “Maybe I could get…Jen’s’ bones…” still makes me burst out laughing to think about

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh I forgot another issue I had with Eldermourne: outside of Henry it kinda felt like none of the PCs really…wanted to play their characters. I genuinely forgot the Endo Friendos existed but tbh now that I think about it them and the Hexbuds felt like characters Caldwell/Emily especially way wanted to play more than Zirk and Fia, and even Jake seemed really comfortable with his two alternate characters and really down to goof in a way that slotted with a comedic vibe.

Yeah I feel real bad about it but on the whole I guess I just think eldermourne is a giant mess. It’s still decent and hey, I finished it, which was more than I can say for Amnesty aka the increasingly dull adventures of bisexual Mary Sue and her buddies that were human-shaped holes in space but it just felt like a story that had way too much going on without resolving a lot of it in an elegant or convenient way.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You know, the more I think about it the more hilarious it is for me to think about how apparently Jake approached D and D with the assumption that Hardwon was already an established, successful, and actualized hero. Let me be clear: I love Jake, he’s probably the secret sauce that turns NADDPOD from good to great because you see the evolution of the broiest dudebro ever into a guy who is just killer at every aspect of DnD, and it’s genuinely pretty cool to see his growing enthusiasm for learning how to RP well, but…like, dude, even disregarding that you were starting at level 1, implying growth was going to happen, what did he imagine the arc of his character was gonna be if he just arrived at Moonstone tavern a self assured, confident, and utterly capable badass? Like, part of what makes Hardwon incredible is that he starts as the most generic whitebread dude before Jake realizes that a character is good because they’re flawed and starts injecting insecurities and self-doubt into him, but what would the campaign have been like if Jake never came to that realization?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It really was, especially with his sudden and immediate realization that he can say all he wants that his character loving rules but the utterly impartial and random dice actually determine if he is actually cool in the moment or not. I think it also helped because it wasn’t Murph loving with him, either logically (“you’re level one you can’t just be amazing at everything forever always”) or as a razz (“dude I’m gonna punish you for being such a braggart for no reason”). The dice, in their randomness, are strangely fair and a big credit to Jake for immediately realizing that and internalizing that logic for roleplaying moving forward.

In retrospect it’s also what makes the jacket incident so hilarious, because it’s Jake having a pretty justifiable reaction to a nat 20 for an otherwise irrelevant story beat that would give his sadsack loser an unasterisked win, but even then Murph kinda fucks him on it and we’ve heard Jake go through literal years of game playing and, in this moment, where he’s not being an unreasonable or demanding player and yet he still gets screwed over. Sort of the dramatic inverse of watch this.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Let’s all remember this event again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ5--q4GB2k

IN CAMPAIGN ONE THEY FOUND WERTHER’S ORIGINALS. THEY FOUND WERTHER’S ORIGINALS. LET THE RECORD SHOW.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This episode really puts a fine point on it: if you don’t like Emily or complain about the ideas she has or implements, you’re a misogynist piece of poo poo and almost more importantly you hate fun cool inventive poo poo. God, she’s such a loving good D&D player, gently caress.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I wish someone put out a YouTube supercut of every single episode of D&D court the same way some dude has posted all of Munch Squad from MBMBAM.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hot Boy Summer makes it clear that, incredibly, Mavrus somehow has toned himself down after moving to Galaderon, which is just the most buck loving wild assertion to make.

Of his three best friends the only one I could see the band of boobs liking out of hand is Hungry Dave, and that’s assuming he actually does become a dentist in the main canon. Mac and especially Tread would just be clowned on endlessly.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I’m patreon subscribed but y’all should listen to Caldwell’s Hogliday ad read if you haven’t.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I’ve always wanted to know how Jake and/or Emily would cuckold Sonic the Hedgehog.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Emily is “what if Travis McElroy was actually deserving of the enormous amount of screen time and focus he presents himself as on TAZ”. An incredibly creative, endlessly hilarious mastermind of d and d who knows what levers to pull and in what order to completely whomp the DM.

Also she was sent from hell to kill Brennan Lee Mulligan.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If I remember correctly he says Jawbone is the character he wishes he was the most like.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This week’s ep is loving nuts.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

docbeard posted:

I don't expect it but it'd make me laugh so hard if Jake ended up taking over playing Glenn for the duration.

Oh my god that would be so loving good

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I finished the first campaign, loved it, and just never went on to the second for reasons I can really articulate. I heard it was pretty good, but not as good as the first, but the hexblood mini campaign is great. Can I just jump into that, or is C2 worth going through the whole thing?

The hexblood mini campaign is great, but it’s firmly in the universe of the second campaign and kind of relies on you knowing the mythos and universe of the campaign as established, it just doesn’t really work divorced from context. Also, it ends on a pseudo-cliffhanger that is only paid off in the finale of the actual campaign so you’d have to listen to the whole thing regardless.

Campaign 2 is…fine. It’s worth listening to because even at its worst, naddpod is still enjoyable and worth listening to, and doesn’t fall into the trap of other actual play podcasts where it has a strong first season and everything else is unlistenable garbage (coughcoughTAZcoughcough). It has some all-time incredible goofs, the Jean jacket bit is incredible, as aforementioned the Hexbuds are a ton of fun, and basically everything the Endo Friendos do rules, but that’s kind of the inherent structural problem with Eldermourne; it’s a campaign where the main characters just aren’t very interesting or have interesting motivations and to me at least it feels like everyone besides Jake just doesn’t really enjoy playing their characters. And even Jake reads as enjoying his other characters more, he just likes Hank a lot because he’s the saddest and most depressing man in the world.

Like, the correct dynamic of NADDPOD, the reason why it works is that Jake plays the often-put upon straight man who balances the insanity that Emily brings with extremely well crafted (and often overpowered but that’s because she’s a master of game mechanics and how to correctly build a character), usually hypersexual individualistic queer women and Caldwell’s insanity of utterly bizarre weird little dudes who do insane things based off his own internal sort of nonsense logic. Emily and Caldwell’s characters need to be fuckin’ out there or the dynamic doesn’t really work, and in Eldermourne Zirk is just super duper bland and Sofia is Emily doing a kind of grating Russian accent and definitionally is playing a character who doesn’t have much agency or impact on her world. Her motivation boils down to wanting to be the Mary Sue’s best friend as opposed to becoming the Mary Sue herself, and as a result she just reads as very dull and without much character. That’s the problem with Eldermourne, really; everyone’s motivations and characters read as kind of lame and the main trio reads as kind of lame, and it feels like everyone besides Jake whiffed (even Murph’s worldbuilding is a bit of a nonstarter because Eldermourne is just the most generic gothic horror setting ever). To compensate everyone just gets a bajillion other characters to play where the energy really does seem to be there; everyone has three PCs they play at least because it often reads as the crew and Murph just not enjoying the main story and having to sort of salvage the campaign by creating new reasons to keep going, and those actually do work - Hexbuds and Endo Friendos are good and dynamic but throw into starker relief how dull the main plot is.

If I were you I’d just skip to Trinyvale. It’s sort of rocky to start because it’s super episodic and basically just an anime, but once it becomes the full campaign it gets way more serialized, Caldwell gets way more confident as a DM (and Caldwell is a loving genius at encounter design, like seriously he has some of the best gimmicks to combats I’ve ever seen). It’s also loving hilarious from start to finish, Caldwell has the best robot voice I’ve ever heard, and once Jake, Emily, and Murph internalize who the Triplets are - the biggest loving scumbags on the face of the planet - it just becomes this incredible and hilarious campaign of three doofuses constantly failing upward Always Sunny style. Like, Trinyvale is the only D and D campaign I’ve ever heard where the post-campaign stuff is somehow even better than the original stuff because everyone is so confident in who their characters are and how they should be played. Like both the Trinyvale live shows are incredible and the Sonic two-parter might literally be the best thing NADDPOD has ever done.

Either way I would say Eldermourne is super skippable. Every other campaign that NADDPOD has run, from Trinyvale to Mavrus Chronicles to C3, is better, the live shows are better, the Jasper campaign is better, even most of the monthly gimmicks are better - Dungeon Court is arguably the best recurring segment of NADDPOD, Tortle Tank is usually pretty good, their 8BBC segments are excellent. Again, it’s not even that Eldermourne is bad per se, it’s just aggressively fine and something you shouldn’t really listen to unless you’re super hard up for NADDPOD stuff and are current on everything else. It’s distinctly and to me pretty clearly the worst of the campaigns they’ve run and to me there’s just no chance they revisit any part of Eldermourne in any way. I seriously doubt there will ever be an Eldermourne post campaign arc, Eldermourne live shows, or some sort of Eldermourne crossover. It feels like the whole thing has been memory holed.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah I’m not saying it’s bad to be clear. I’ve mentioned it before but literally just the jean jacket bit is worth the price of admission. I just think it’s easily and by far the most skippable and I’d rather recommend someone listen to either Trinyvale, any of the mini-campaigns, or especially C3 first over any part of Eldermourne. It’s still decent and I’ll admit I’m more down on it than others, but to me there’s still so much non-Eldermourne non-BoB content to consume that I’d rather someone listen to that stuff first and then swing back around when they finish with that first.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I would get complaints about what Emily does if it wasn't her being a loving master of mechanics and understanding how to build and utilize characters effectively. And no, I disagree, I do think she builds overpowered characters - the number of times she's completely owned a DM between this and Dimension 20, it stops being a weird coincidence that she breaks the curve around her - but to me that's a testament to her as a player. I love it when she builds someone who is broken and OP because it's illustrative at just how good and intelligent and creative of a player she actually is, and it's also literally what I come to actual play podcasts to see. That silence grenade thing was some of the raddest loving poo poo I've ever seen in a D and D podcast and could easily completely break the game if that was Emily's motivation to do so. Hell, you even note how a combat encounter like the most recent one was only tense literally and solely because Callie was unusable during the entirety of the fight, and how she even pointed out how she had one ability that would completely solve the danger if she had the ability to use it. Or that time Murph noted that he had to make sure that Glenn was otherwise completely inaccessible to Callie the first time he was (re-)introduced in the narrative because he knew that if Glenn was anywhere closer than what he was his wife would come up with something to kill Glenn in one turn. It stops being a coincidence when things like this constantly happen around and involving her.

But again, this is all more illustrative of just how awesome of a player Emily is. This is what I come to actual play podcasts for, and why actual play podcasts aren't loving fantasy-flavored improv. The rules exist so that way bending or breaking them is impressive in its own right, the same way watching a speedrunner run a video game they've played for thousands of hours or seeing someone trivialize what would otherwise be extremely difficult mechanics in a video game because they understand exactly how to abuse the game's underlying systems to their favor. Watching Emily do what she does is like watching someone playing a jrpg who abuses memory overflow mechanics to do max damage in a single hit. Both people are overpowered, but it's to me a validation of just how good Emily is as a player that she is as overpowered as she is.

Like, people treat Emily the way they should treat Travis McElroy, where he's given this free pass to just fuckin' make up some bullshit so he's the star of everything and perfect and incredible and everyone is just so impressed whenever his character walks into a room. But, well, sexism.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Xand_Man posted:

Do people actually treat Travis like this or is it just that he acts that way?

He steamrolls over suggestions otherwise and has extreme Main Character Syndrome while simultaneously being the most normie douche on the planet. And there’s the toxic positivity of his fanbase that reinforces all of his worst traits.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The triplets are great because you can drop them in literally any situation and they’re never on the back foot in the sense of being unsure of what to do or full of wonder or whatever. They’re always the same selfish, self-absorbed, rude and oblivious pricks no matter what, so you can have them going around doing anything and it both fits their characters and doesn’t affect their personalities within the narrative as written. They’re the perfect live show/one-shot campaign to run because their identities and motivations are so cleanly defined.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm trying to decide on a single thing that summarizes what the triplets' deal is, and if I had to pick just one, I'd pick the fact that they have a teleportation stone but only use it to go to the airport

That one is really good, but my favorite is whenever someone, usually Murph, has to clarify that the triplets aren’t cool with killing kids or doing actually evil poo poo over just being rude greedy rear end in a top hat poo poo. Because apparently, not being child murderers is a moral bar that the triplets just barely clears.

Or the fact that they mentally broke Sonic the Hedgehog.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also my favorite joke and one I constantly come back to is in the sonic two-parter where robotnik has commoner stats and the gimmick of his fight is that he has a bunch of armor and has trapped the triplets in a bubble, only for them all to get out and Nyaack hits him with one attack and brutally murders him. The subsequent scene with the triplets all freaking out that he murdered a man and promptly throwing Nyaack under the bus - “I didn’t mean to kill a commoner! A man of science! A scientist!”, only for Nyaack to immediately summon a jam copy of himself and accuse that jam copy of doing the crime, only for Jens to roll a nat 20 in deception such that literally everyone including the jam copy itself believes it murdered Robotnik.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It’s weird because he’s deeply and obviously madly in love with his insane wife, like for a professional grump like him it’s maybe the one time he’s openly and without reservation happy on-camera is when Emily does something that’s really reflective of her personality ( I’m reminded of the times on Dimension 20 when Emily does something that is only accessible to her own internal logic - Fig had a bunch of those, like Hilda Hilda or that hospital drama she accidentally became a part of). It very clearly makes him happy when she does insane poo poo like that, like you can see him visibly relaxing and just admiring her. It’s very sweet. I also don’t think it’s a coincidence that when he and Emily are playing characters as opposed to one dming the other, he often plays characters who end up directly supporting her as one of their priorities (I’m thinking about how Riz immediately went with her on her hospital drama adventure and silently ensured she didn’t die, or how Riz goes with Fig to hell in season 2, and a lot has been made about the sexy rat fiasco but what’s most notable is how he immediately decides to play a literal rat in the very next season of dimension 20) and she in turn will often do her weirdest poo poo whenever his character(s) are threatened, like “I disguise myself as him”. I don’t want to be some weird internet psychoanalyst, but it’s very sweet how a lot of their dynamic and actual relationship as people married to each other can be seen when they’re both roleplaying together, especially in an on-camera environment like dimension 20.

Anyways here’s a bunch of videos I have to prove my point or for reference in case you don’t watch D20 (which you definitely should if you’re a fan of what Murph and Emily do on naddpod). Take special note of how Murph reacts whenever Emily does something insane. He loves his crazy wife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BXGIOCqjTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFMdwpGdY64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8beyFGjh79c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDap5gIPHZw

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

They did donkey Kong survivor again? That’s a real bummer to be honest.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah I mean if they put it up I’ll listen and be happy, but imagine like…I dunno, a donkey Kong hunger games or running man. Donkey Kong Squid Game. I feel like there’s just such a rich well for Funky Kong being a libertarian shithead who fucks up the band of boobs in some way.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I know that it might’ve pissed off Murph, but I feel like the only way this most recent episode worked was by making that character into the biggest and most pathetic loser right out the gate.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Why haven’t the naddpod crew written a CYOA book.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Falseter is my favorite character.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I don't agree hardwon and calder sound exactly the same, hardwon is a lot...dumber than calder and therefore sounds a lot more oblivious and ignorant, while calder's a more inherently tragic figure than hardwon and has the sort of very understated straight man delivery that hardwon lacks.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I cannot believe, I literally cannot believe, I straight up refuse to believe that Jake actually named his newborn daughter Gemma.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I’ve never listened to CR before and I’m super happy that Emily is getting these super high profile appearances the same way I was super happy for Brennan when he got to dm a cr campaign but boy oh boy can I not listen to any DND actual play that isn’t comedy first. I couldn’t stand friends at the table, fell off TAZ hard when it stopped being gooftown, really disliked this most recent season of D20 that tried (in my opinion, badly) to be a horror campaign, and listening to this most recent episode of CR with being super crunchy about the game mechanics and really serious about character motivations with comedy being secondary over character appropriate roleplaying it just…it never works for me. I’m listening to a bunch of people pretending to be elves and playing DnD, there really has to be some sort of metatextual acknowledgment of how absurd it is to be doing that inherently or the whole exercise comes off as pretentious and lacking soul.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

To be fair it’s just the finale and I think season 2 of fantasy high is worth it, and without getting into spoilers the specific setup for how the finale resolves actually makes it so the fact that it’s remote kind of plays into what its storytelling aims are.

Also once you finish fantasy high s2 you can watch The Seven, which is kind of hit or miss in some ways (I feel like Brennan’s PC gets completely shut out and essentially becomes an afterthought of her own party, and the group is super horny in a way that gets actually kind of annoying in that “Jesus Christ stop trying to gently caress literally everything that moves” way a super horny DnD party is), but the highs are really high with genuinely one of the single funniest interactions I have ever seen in any DND show. So it’s worth powering through s2 for that at least.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think Dimension 20 specifically dodges that problem only because they have the exact same cast of seven for their “main campaigns” and the almost always end up playing variants on a theme - Ally will play someone who is queer, often trans, and they will make a bunch of anachronistic references and have insane luck, Siobhan will play a caster (or caster variant) who has difficulty connecting with others in some way, Emily plays someone or something with spells and is usually the biggest wildcard of the group, Lou plays a cool fighter black dude, Zac plays someone who is dumb and strong and is usually easily misled, and Murph plays the honorable straight man who is usually a fighter type (and often works in direct support of Emily). It becomes a lot easier to parse once you realize that no matter the setting or the campaign everyone plays pretty much the same sort of character in all of them, and the times they don’t are usually specifically commentaries or inversions of the characters they “usually” play.

I do agree however that Critical Role absolutely falls into that problem partially because the cast size is huge but I think more than that their philosophy is that they have a bunch of actors acting, so they assume roles, as opposed to D20 (and to a much more obvious extent, NADDPOD) viewing it as essentially a fantasy sketch show. Like, if you watch sketch shows/improv, any sort of role-based comedy with groups of people, they fall onto easy characters and have specific roles they play, from stuff like ITSYL to Mr. Show to everything in between, even SNL. It’s easier for comedy to work when the audience is already primed for the “type” of character people play no matter the situation they are in, so you get stuff like no matter what campaign setting D20 is set the main group kind of always plays similar characters, or stuff like NADDPOD having Emily play the queer hypersexual wild card, Jake the put-upon straight man, and Caldwell playing the weird little guy. It creates a common language to make the comedy easier to digest.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 24, 2023

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I love their cyoa eps in general but the Boeing whistleblowing conspiracy and that ridiculous loving sappy background music they used in the main ep/short rest this week is some of the best poo poo they’ve done.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mine is whenever they get extremely, randomly horny for one character while at the same time being this emotionally abusive gaslighting weirdo to another character for seemingly no reason.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gaius Marius posted:

It was a good ep. But I didn't like how hard the guest was in his gimmick. I get that there is a tight knit crew with a high base level energy, but coming in with your own zany poo poo to try to match that doesn't really work. And I'm sorry but "wanting to get into cakes" is pret

Excuse me Murph thank you

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Everyone’s heard of the sophomore slump but it seems most pronounced in actual play DND podcasts, where the second campaign almost always seems like a distinct step down from the first. NADDPOD has imo a weaker campaign 2, everything I’ve heard about Dungeons and Daddies campaign 2 seems like it’s a complete mess, and TAZ…well that’s more like the entire show itself took a complete nosedive in quality after the first campaign but still, it’s also there. Two part question: 1) Why do you think that phenomenon exists so commonly in the DND podcast space and 2) what podcasts notably buck the trend? The only one I can think of is Dimension 20 season 2 and Bloodkeep isn’t really long enough or has enough staying power to be straight up compared to fantasy high.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah just to be clear I think NADDPOD campaigns 1 to 2 is going from like an A to a B-, TAZ is going from a B to an F starring Bisexual Mary Sue. So I definitely don’t agree that the scales are similar even if imo there is a distinct drop in quality between campaigns for both podcasts. I don’t listen nor have ever listened to DnDaddies so I can’t comment on that but literally everything I’ve heard about campaign 2 has been complaints. I do want to point out that regardless of opinions on Eldermourne I feel like C3 has been such an impressive return to form and feels totally different from the first campaign despite being set in the exact same world, which is more than you can say for like, Imbalance (which from what I’ve heard everyone seems to despise).

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I often try and get into other dnd podcasts but always end up just listening to NADDPOD over and over, and I think the reason why is largely because Murph knows how to not fall into extremes of being overly pretentious kibitzing over what it MEANS to ROLEPLAY in an authored world (which is why I could never get into FatT, they spend so much time talking about what they should be doing on a metanarrative and fourth-wall-breaking level and don’t cut it out), or trying to force emotional moments (which is Griffin’s fatal flaw on TAZ, combined with players who either don’t care or care way too much and try to make it all about them), or treat the rules of dnd as Calvinball (which is what TAZ totally does, and when I’ve tried to listen to Rude Tales they do the same). Like, Murph has mentioned this a ton of times on Dungeon Court (which is really good insight into his sensibilities as a DM), he’s very firmly about ensuring his campaigns are games with rules first and foremost, which is why I don’t listen to most other dnd podcasts; as he’s mentioned before, you can’t just have everyone being Daffy Duck all the time.

What’s most interesting with Murph as a dnd player to me is how willing he is to shift to meet the needs of the campaign he’s on. Like I think Murph the DM would hate to DM Murph the Trinyvale campaign player, because he’s such an unbelievably self-absorbed and self-serving prick, but Caldwell and the table love Jens because he fits the world established so well. Like, I’m remembering that moment in the Bahumia crossover when Jens just casually casts Dispel Magic on the Green Teens healing each other, a just needlessly cruel and rude thing to do to literal children, and it’s both hilarious and a perfect example of Murph bending his sensibilities to fit the world in which he’s playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah it feels like FatT and TAZ and Rude Tales, at least to me, all come from different reactions to what is ultimately the same sort of underlying thought that DnD and roleplaying are stupid and the entire process is stupid and therefore should be treated as an at best annoyance and roadblock to what actually matters, X. Rude Tales I genuinely respect because they’re like “it’s stupid and we are gonna be upfront with how stupid we think dnd is so we are just gonna treat it as one big joke”, which although I disagree with I can totally see the point and think openly mocking the concept is totally fine. On the other hand I find FatT’s and especially TAZ’s approach inherently super disingenuous because it’s essentially going “we are gonna write a radio play and then have some ostensible dice rolling in the background” which it’s like, if you think tabletop is such an impediment to the story you’re gonna tell why not just remove it all and work on your scripts, guys.