Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
man I lost track of this podcast right before the Crick story and now I just finished that arc and it reminded me how fantastic this podcast is. I subbed to the patreon and now am gonna finish getting caught up.

There are other real good pocasts like Neoscum and Dragon Friends for capturing a less 'scripted' feeling RPG and all but I don't think any other podcast has had as many moments where people who play these games a lot can practically feel the GM rapidly reshuffling his plans in his mind because a player did something bonkers and somehow didn't die for it as this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Not Operator posted:

I love every time Hardwon talks poo poo about Coldain, because it's impossible to tell how much is good role-playing and how much actual real adult man Jake Hurwitz getting jealous of an imaginary ex's new boyfriend.

Once more, the big treat of the Short Rest is hearing how into it they all are.

as a huge D&D nerd myself hearing how 100% into this Jake is coming from basically zero is genuinely heartwarming. There's a lot of toxic poo poo to deal with in tabletop sadly so it's really cool to hear a group with a brand new guy in it all so eager and happy and having a nice time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Inzombiac posted:

I don't see how any of these smaller streaming platforms can survive if they have a paid sub.

VRV is dead and the one before it, despite having a good amount of content. I adore Um, Actually but there's no way I'm subbing for just that.

I wonder how much money Google is losing due to ad blockers on YouTube? If it's common enough, the small services are screwed either way.

is VRV dead? I figured since they were the actual media company who had rights to poo poo like Crunchyroll/Funimation and a bunch of nerd poo poo like Geek & Sundry/Rooster Teeth they were pretty secure. They've been scooping poo poo like that terrible Shudder site that had a bullshit library and some documentary site that has a bunch of garbo looking ones, so I figured they were consolidating a lot of these dumbass streaming things.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I don't blame you there, everyone and their mom started a streaming service for a bit and they all had dumb names like "Spoink, the streaming service just for videos of cats jumping off things!" I use VRV just because it's cheaper than subbing to both Crunchyroll and Funimation and gets me some other dumb nerd poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah but these folks gotta get paid.
Advertisers will pay a premium based in where the ad is located. At the end is seen as the worst because it's the easiest to skip.

yea I dislike them too but unfortunately you literally get more money for mid-episode ads and I really can't hate on guys in the fuckin podcast slash internet humor slash other misc projects business wanting to get the most they can. At least they're cute character ads.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Farg posted:

get mercer to play old cobb

he does a loving fantastic array of grizzled old man voices

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

tsob posted:

Hardwon asking Moonshine how she brought Triss to the edge in an awkward "I don't know this, but don't want to admit I don't know it, so let's compare notes" was fantastic. It's amazing how deep Jake has fallen in to the character after, what, one year of RP? That said, when I was listening to the Short Rest and they were discussing the date I started thinking how weird it must be to even act out being in love with a fictional character, who only really exists in discussion and not even as someone you can act against. Then they started discussing exactly that; though as they pointed out, Erlin does exist as Murph. Who is presumably one of Caldwell's best friends. Which, I don't know is that more or less weird really?

Also, I don't actually play any D'n'D and never really have, so I'm only going off superficial impressions here and can only really compare Murph's style to Caldwell, Matt Mercer (Critical Role) and Chris Perkins (Acq Inc), but Murph seems to use more variety in his encounters and the main "battle" in this weeks episode was a good example. The entire thing just being the Band of Boobs having to control an airship with rolls for how damaged it was depending on what actions they took was pretty cool.

Caldwell is interesting as a contrast, since he's more willing to roll with the gang's dumb poo poo and just incorporate it in to his game, with the Trinstagram stuff being the most obvious example and including it's own little game to indicate how well the cast are doing on it but Murph seems to have a really good balance between story and mechanics as well as between letting the players gently caress around and pushing them towards more dramatic/emotive stuff when they've been goofing around for a while.

Yea of the pack you listed I think Murph does most variety focused encounter design. Nothing wrong with classic D&D 'the giant is mad, you should put swords and spells in him' but having stuff like 'your airship needs to be controlled and if you do well you'll make it need less repair and poo poo' break it up lets the players have more room for roleplay. Though at least compared to the others he's not working with an unreasonably big party (CR) or a constant time limit looming over the session (AI) so I can see how he can stretch his legs more.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
There's not nearly enough animations but there is this masterpiece to make up for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDHzqP5_aJw

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I think he'd dig Goliath and Dragonborn most, if you like being fighty tough guys you can't beat 'basically a playable giant/dragon that won't break the party'.

I'm hoping for elf though just because A) I genuinely do think he could do some kind of fighty elf well, and B) it'd be real funny.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

tsob posted:

The Short Rests are often as entertaining as the actual episodes; usually because Emily sends the group off on insane tangents. Which have included, but are certainly not limited to: comparing Jake to a hawk and then saying Murph is like a pigeon, coming up with new characters Murph absolutely won't let her try (like a luche libre skeleton) and a song she made up about milk and nuts (or something) that makes no loving sense, and doesn't even match what she's doing while singing it but which she insists is the right way anyway. The group basically talk about the events of the episode, what they liked or hated, what they felt they did right or wrong etc. along with trying to get some information out of Murph about other possible actions they missed out on and so on. The Mixed Bags on the other hand have a lot less formal structure, and have included things like the gang watching a movie (Warcraft and FF7: Advent Children) or TV show (80's D'n'D animated cartoon and Game of Thrones finale) and then talking about it, going back to listen to the first episode and doing a Short Rest style talk about that or Short Rests for the Trinnyvale stuff. They also don't come out nearly as often, but I find the crew engaging enough that I'm happy to pay the extra couple of quid a month regardless.

yea I know every podcast has a patreon and it can be hard to get that sweet sweet bonus from everyone you like but man are Short Rests and Mixed Bags worth it if you enjoy the dynamics of these guys. They go between genuine good RPG talk to poo poo like "wanna hear my milk song?????" and it's a delight.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Not Operator posted:

Listen to 8‐Bit Book Club to hear Emily wish for huge boobs easily a dozen times, and obtain a greater understanding of how she designed Moonshine.

Emily using D&D to become a big titty bisexual fertility goddess and Jake is using it to be a big buff fighterman is the most D&D player poo poo ever and I love it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RC Cola posted:

Caldwell Tanner plays himself though.

yea Caldwell using it to just play A Very Good Boy, which is just him with magic spells, is also deeply on brand.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Not Operator posted:

This is admittedly pushing it as far as thread relevance goes, but Polygon do a board game show once a month, and Brennan Lee Mulligan is on the newest one.

Overboard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrjCPnbEMfE

I love Brennan.

"Now if this was a REAL war I'd get his coins...you're not even checking the rules, don't wanna check?"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Farg posted:

i do gotta wonder what his plan was for 1v1ing a duke of hell. Even if he lands banish the party is still feebled and she just comes back in a minute

I think it was mainly a 'my character would do this, I accept that this will probably kill me if it goes as it seems but my character would do this' thing, I don't think there is a way pure mechanically that would end well

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

eke out posted:

i think there was also some "i'll just be ambiguous about my offer and then figure something out" but he wasn't actually ambiguous enough lol

yea that too, I think he thought he was being more sly than he was

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Farg posted:

donkey kong oneshot is here. be praying

a blessed day of thanks

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The daughter of the coconut mother is real, and she's gonna make ya drink your own diarrhea

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 28, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also as it goes without saying the Short Rest is golden for this too

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jake's Banana Crimes are worth the 5 dollars

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
eh the terrasque was never that interesting though, it was literally just wizards going 'ok you need a baddie for your epic level games? here's this bullet sponge'. It's just a big stack of HP with all the normal strengths that being loving huge comes with, with a massive bundle of resistances and immunities and regen. It's not even that interesting as a baddie, it's just a literal force of nature that sleeps for eons, wakes up, rampages, sleeps again.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Nautical nonsense DOES be something I wish...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea going with these smaller experimental 'let's just have fun for a few weeks and see what happens' campaigns is smart. I wouldn't want a whole podcast around what Caldwell was doing, but I very much enjoyed the little nibble we got and now am eager for Underwater Nonsense With Emily.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jake going from 'I have never done a D&D before I hope I don't suck too bad' to 'I AM HARDWON' in like, not even one episode is the most adorable thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I mean the two 'veteran' players were playing a hick elf with a scramble boy familiar and a literal boy scout paladin so while they had more firm choices in character building they still were pretty open to goofing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I already love this new series

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've been really loving this new arc so far, fun group dynamics and so far been a good blend of stuff.

I will say though without a massive backlog to listen to I've gone back to 8BBC to relisten and I forgot how completely gold it was, so basically my brain has just been being baked by these nerds either laughing at insane things like 'leech father-queen' or just natural insane interactions like Emily earnestly asking 'what if the mario brothers were obsessed with bagels and not pizza' and everyone figuring out she was thinking they were TMNT.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

eke out posted:

lmao the characters

emily: hedge witch
caldwell: alchemist artificer
jake: guy whose wife left him

so loving good, these guys and glass canon are just the absolute gold standard of dumbass actual play

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bip Roberts posted:

We're people being stinky on Twitter?

yea sounds like typical 'nerds ignore plenty of other mistakes/odd things but get huffy when THE WOMANS are involved in them. It seems like NAADPOD has a pretty cool fanbase mostly but I'm sure it pops up from time to time and isn't fun for any of them to deal with.

Luckily Emily kicks rear end and plays with cool people who are, ya know, her actual friends and all aside from playing magic elf games so I hope it doesn't bum her out too much when it happens.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

These people complaining about Emily in NADDPOD should see the poo poo she pulls off in Dimension20. Emily is just really good at dungeons and dragons.

Emily clearly long ago embraced the fact that D&D is like 30% building a good character and 50% random dice rolls and saying 'gently caress it let's see if this happens' and then like 20% of loving with the DM, and for that she's the most powerful character

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
hey I know we haven't talked about Dropout in a bit but I finally pulled the trigger to subscribe and A) worth it, and B) I've been marathoning their Breaking News show, a short show where they have to play people reporting news with out ever seeing the scripts beforehand and I've literally been in tears laughing at multiple points. It's ostensibly a 'game' where whoever breaks most loses but it's just a beautiful trainwreck.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WingsOfSteel posted:

I'll probably drop 5 bucks on it in like 4-6 months when there's a good backlog, but I doubt I'll be a full-time patron. Brendalizabeth was incredible; Emily committed so hard to the bit.

yea same, when there's a good backlog built up I likely will because Zac and the assorted Dropout/College Humor people he's pulling from are cool and the concept is fun but I just can't add another Patreon for two episodes of D&D a month and two chat episodes right now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

eke out posted:

speaking of dropout, the most recent Game Changer they got Giancarlo Esposito and the sole challenge is to try to read the same lines in character better than him, it's fantastic

the show is consistently a delight

Giancarlo's absolute delight when he was brought in was so good.

"Are you ready for this?"

"NO! HOW COULD WE BE?!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Not Operator posted:

Using this thread for the collegehumor expanded universe - the latest episode of Game Changer on Dropout (Jeopardy) is absolutely loving unhinged. You should all watch it immediately if you can.

Game Changer is so good, they're just perfect at making insane game shows that shockingly...work?

This was basically a gold standard ep, though, it's up there with 'surprise this game was about unionizing' and 'Brandon cannot win'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ainsley McTree posted:

I haven't listened to the podcast for a few weeks (not out of boredom, just not listening to a lot of podcasts in quarantine so i'm behind) so I didn't know they were doing this, and what a delightful surprise to find in my feed

same I'm a couple episodes behind on the story and then seeing 'aw poo poo, it's Donkey Kong again' was a lovely surprise. I hope they drown another ape in poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea if I for some insane reason had to pick one I think season 1 is still my favorite, but that's an unfair comparison right now, and season 2 (and the intermission stuff) has been excellent too so really it's just the difference between an A and an A+.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea there's pros and cons. As a GM myself I'd consider 5 to be my soft limit, maybe 6 in a more roleplay focused game (notice how a lot of times on D20 they have a format of 'roleplay episode, encounter begins, see you next week, entire next episode is combat'. They do it well, but that's a pretty good gauge how long a D&D style combat can take with six players going hog wild on a threat big enough to challenge six players). It'd be a very different game with more people permanently, not a worse game or better one inherently, but a different one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

tsob posted:

Since a lot of people were loving Lou in this thread, it's probably worth pointing out that he just did an episode of Adventuring Academy on Dropout with Brennan, where they fully stat out a character. Brennan apparently made sure to keep which character they were going to stat out a secret from Lou while planning it, but wanted to stat out this character in case they ever do another season of Fantasy High, though he made sure to say there were no promises it was going to happen. It's being done as a "just in case" thing, basically. That said, when he tells Lou that they're going to make a full level 20 Scrumbledown Bim, Lou almost walks out of the room.

Still, they go through deciding all the character details: his stats, his class levels, his possessions etc. It's fun to watch. I've never even seen Fantasy High, so I wasn't sure of the significance of the character, but Lou did his best to make him a completely vile dick that he never wants to face, but probably will one day and will hate every second of. Like I said: fun. If history is any indication, then it'll probably be up on YouTube in a week or two for anyone without Dropout who wants to see it.

really is worth a watch, I actually didn't know he and Brennon did improv together, which makes sense since they have good chemistry and all.

"Have I told you what NPC we're doing?"

"No, Brennon, you actually told me multiple times you're going to surprise me, I told you I don't want to be surprised, you said 'ha ha ha'..."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Crazyeyes posted:

I think it's gonna be a good season with this cast. Grant is a standout right now.

Also it's great how they are all playing rogues.

The whole cast is pure gold but I literally had to pause the video I was laughing so hard at 'Daisy D'umpstaire' and her backstory

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
DND Court is such a good gimmick, a good way to roundabout ask for game stories from fans while kindasorta making a filter so only interesting ones get through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ainsley McTree posted:

Thinking about it more, Jake is such a big piece of what makes naddpod work I think, because through him we get the quintessential D&D player's journey of:

Starting your first campaign: Haha i'm a human raised by dwarves and the only thing I like more than being handsome is bragging about it!!

100 hours of play later: I am out-of-character depressed because my fake dwarf girlfriend died

yea I'm not gonna sit here and lie and say the rest of the NADDPOD gang aren't absolute treasures, but having Jake really turns it from good to great. New people who don't know D&D get to watch someone go from about their level of knowledge to genuinely having a fantastic time with his friends and long time players get to just kinda smile and nod as Jake goes through the same path of 'he's literally playing a Human Fighter for his first character that's genuinely adorable' to 'he's now more invested in his character's arc than he is about some things in the actual human world' just like we did.