Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i'm very proud of the band of boobs for [new ep spoilers]actually making a smart plan to escape that encounter on the boat and pulling it off. i thought there was a really good chance they could get someone killed there, given their past history.

quote:

For everyone else:
New episode will presumably drop tomorrow as it does every Thursday. Maybe we should do spoiler tags when discussing the new ep for the next week or two as new folks find this thread and jump in from ep.1? What do y'all think?

yeah it's probably best to spoiler the current week's stuff plus some of the Major Plot Events that have happened, now that the show has gone beyond purely goofing off and actually has a narrative you can spoil

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tsob posted:

On a more relevant topic, the OP specified that Brian Murphy created the world of Bahumia specifically for this adventure and I'm just wondering to what extent he's created new elements? I'm not a D&D player, but I have some passing familiarity with the parts Gygax and his successors created from general nerd osmosis and through listening to various D&D podcasts but I've never heard of Crick Elves for instance; so were they a new thing he created or just a more obscure element of the general D&D setting that he imported? "City" halflings are obviously new, and the towns and campaign story are presumably his creations too but I'm just kind of unclear on how much is stuff he's created specifically for this adventure and would like some clarification I guess.

I think most all the things you describe are Murph's creation, but none are exactly big deviations from the standard dnd stuff, which tends to include a lot of regional subraces that have slightly different mechanics and encourages DMs to branch out by tweaking things like that.

Like so far his setting is original in the sense that it's not using stock locations or storylines or anything - unlike how Dragon Friends blundered through the Ravenloft module, for instance - but it's a relative normal high-magic dnd setting that uses standard monsters, classes, and gods. (and I don't mean any of that negatively)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

in the after show they were talking about next time they do a live show, switching to the variant where enemies do twice as much damage but have half as much health to speed up the combat, which i support 100%

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mike12345 posted:

btw what's a crick? my english dictionary says it's some kind of clay deposit in a sandstone? what

it's slang for a creek, like a relatively small stream of water

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Farg posted:

Balnor can't die, it would cause a time paradox.

the band of boobs gets balnor back home, but, twist: he's now powerful enough to swing world war I in favor of germany

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

bev rolling a 2 to jump onto the back of a dragon 150 feet below him, killing wilhelm in the process was basically perfect

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it's honestly a miracle murph hasn't killed multiple party members yet in some of these encounters

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i gave in and did the free trial of dropout to finish watching fantasy high, it's way better than i initially thought

emily and murph are both as good as you'd expect (as is siobhan), but Brennan really grew on me as an extremely committed and positive GM, and ally's fundamentalist christian corn-worshipper in a crisis over realizing she's gay and her god is a douche steals the show consistently

despite being 100% comedians it ends up having less jokes per minute than NADD and everyone really gets into it - i hope they do more and switch to some other format for monetization, it'd be a great podcast or live twitch show.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol boy the gang sure does misread the situation attacking the dragon turtle even as Murph desperately tries to signal that this is Not A Combat Encounter You Can Win

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

timp posted:

I struggle with that as a player sometimes too. It's like, okay DM, you gave us this time limit and this goal, but now you've put this seemingly immovable object in our path. What will we get shamed for harder: giving up so easily on our original goal or picking an unwinnable fight? In most cases it's best to trust the DM in a situation like that, but there's also staying true to your character to consider... So yeah, even when the hints are obvious, it's still really easy to second guess the situation

yeah, definitely. i was laughing listening because the polymorph attempt was almost as bad as giving the berry to that god

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tsob posted:

That said, Murph saying that the ghost girl "shakes her head, yes" is just weird. Why not just call it nodding?

lol he did this multiple times, too

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Jeremor posted:

My love of this podcast led me to try out Fantasy High. They have 8 free episodes up on YouTube, and it has a lot of antics similar to the band of boobs. It probably leans more silly than anything, but the DM is excellent and it has Emily and Murph playing characters.

I just now finished the first 8 episodes and now I'm contemplating a dropout.tv subscription to listen to more. Has anyone else made the dive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWKm16X3qN4

brennan's constant, long-term commitment to escalating this joke and then turning it into emotional payoff is part of why he's so great

eke out fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 6, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

"I whisper to the crow, 'Get as far away from this guy as you can.'"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the revelation that emily walked down the aisle to the opera theme from FFVI is the most on-brand poo poo imaginable

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Not Operator posted:

IIRC, they get her to sing it multiple times in 8Bit Book Club, but she never sings the words, just the melody in its traditional chiptune vocal noises.

highly recommend everyone listen to the one where caldwell writes a ff6 fanfic starring emily and she's basically crying the entire time

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmfao this episode murph was completely right to punish them for being that insanely stupid in front of two NPCs that get legendary actions and a whole den of their supporters

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i love emily's recurring Legally Distinct From The White Stripes' 'Blue Orchid' guitar riff when something cool happens

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 6, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tsob posted:

Similarly, of course Emily is a drunken master hairdresser trying to get over a bad breakup. As soon as I read the line "There’s an alcoholic hair dresser trying to drown away memories of her ex who’s also a monk focused on the Way of the Drunken Master." I knew, yeah, that's Emily's character. I'm still hoping she gets to play a Lucha skeleton at some point.

this character rules but so do all the characters - dimension 20 is great, anyone who likes naddpod will love it

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

HoboTech posted:

Having said that, I don't see why Emily got any hate for the tidal wave and nerds need to calm the gently caress down on the rules lawyer poo poo. If anything I'd say sometimes Moonshine is a bit TOO effective in combat situations, but that's entirely due to spellcasters being broken bullshit and nothing to do with her as a player.

misogyny

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah I hope they do it with hardwon before he meets his mom.

meeting his mom as a [random race] is more interesting than meeting his mom as some self-hating vampire

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

theCalamity posted:

They said in the Short Rest, they said they’ll do around 30 more episodes. I’m assuming they’ll start a new campaign

Season 2: The Campaign After the Campaign After the Campaign

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tsob posted:

If we're giving recommendations, then I'd like to recommend Dungeons & Daddies (Not a BDSM Podcast).

I believe it's now (Sometimes a BDSM Podcast)

anyways it's great and probably the dnd thing that makes me laugh the most every week. beth may is an absolute treasure, and most of the rest of the guys are from Story Break so they have a good, comfortable rapport with each other

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

dimension20 spoilers lmfao is an immortal robert moses really the big bad of this season because that is perfect

this new season is a delight

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the constant long asides between Nyack and Onyx are the funniest poo poo

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

[today's dimension 20 spoilers]

emily realizing she can easily use Unseen Servant for insurance fraud, then announcing that she's sent it to burn her home down. while she goes to the grocery store so she's on camera with an alibi. fantastic

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Very excited that we are finally in the endgame of this humor podcast: kill the devil, then god

Also, hardwon growing horns right when he suggested "Well nothing stops us from just killing Josh" was perfect timing by Murph, well done

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 4, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this has been, pound for pound, one of their best arcs ever just two episodes in

also this:

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Emily is a genius

she's so clever and is legit just really good with dnd mechanics, and the combination pays off

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 11, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Murph in the short rest: "i had to make sure it survived so I wouldn't have to do a whole arc of you guys avenging the flying sword"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

I think it was mainly a 'my character would do this, I accept that this will probably kill me if it goes as it seems but my character would do this' thing, I don't think there is a way pure mechanically that would end well

i think there was also some "i'll just be ambiguous about my offer and then figure something out" but he wasn't actually ambiguous enough lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tenik posted:

+'s are general bonus. A +1 means that you get a +1 to hit, or roughly a 5% bonus. A +3 means that you get a +3 to hit. It's super rare to get one, and a bonus that high is where the math behind d&d's paper thin balance starts to break down. The Dwarven daddies are based on a very overpowered spell, I just think that hardwon's stats and Murph's encounters don't let them shine. Caldwell got an upgrade to his book, which Murph described it on the short rest, and will probably explain at the top of the next session.

also of note, the hammer went from allowing that ability once per long rest to once per short rest, which is a huge upgrade in that he can do it two or three times on any given day now

and he got the absorb elements ability 1/day, and the +1 bonus. all in all a very good upgrade for hardwon

(and now that they're at levels where resistances and immunities are common, the spores upgrade with two new damage types is very good)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Threep posted:

Tomb of Horrors was written for tournament play, specifically to murder players who were good at that style of D&D. If Murph runs it by the book, it's not going to go well.

I hope the adventure ends with them beating the fake end boss and escaping the illusory cave-in

their jokes about preparing multiple characters of diminishing levels for each time they die is what they legit should do

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i'm catching up on Dimension 20's new(ish) live show with emily/murph/etc and it's so good y'all, very fun chaotic early band-of-boobs energy and also downright unnerving storyline

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

theCalamity posted:

Emily has had two great moments in the live show that hurt my abs because I was laughing so hard. She will have these insane ideas and will break Brennan.

Last nights episode was an absolute doozy solely because of Lou and it was great.

the wildest thing about the live show is that it's 99% as good as the tightly-edited, polished pre-recorded stuff they were putting out before.

also lou laughing uncontrollably as he realizes he's probably going to get himself killed in the most colossally stupid way possible, which is 100% in character and the only thing he can do right there, was perfect

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 21, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

naddpod update: emily is so, sooo good

i can't loving believe she had that move with pendergreens planned

murph must've thought "it'll be alanis, balinor, or one of the party, huge drama either way" and em outsmarts it. she's so good

e: AND it gave us a ticking clock. what a perfect dramatic move

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 22, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol amir just playing the biggest piece of poo poo possible

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

nothing but respect for emily committing to murdering amir at the cost of her own life

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol @ them spending the first minute with siobhan talking about how she stole from them

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 2, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Farg posted:

there's some for realsies risk of permadeath here if anyone gets swallowed

lol i looked up the stat block and basically any party member will be unconscious in a single round's attacks (not even including legendary actions)

but the tarrasque has zero ranged options, they could fly and stay out of range indefinitely, even. so, of course, every single person immediately rushed into melee range lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tsob posted:

It would really suck to have to reroll a character this late in the campaign, when we know they plan to wrap things up within a few weeks (at least, for the campaign proper). You really wouldn't be able to explore or do anything fun with your new character, and they wouldn't have the time to bond with the other main characters or establish themselves enough to make their survival and epilogue feel equivalent to everyone elses. You'd basically just be a guest for all intents and purposes.

I find it hard to believe they'd kill Bev just because of how poo poo it'd make things for Caldwell in the last couple of episodes, and have to imagine they'll either flubb the roll since there's no cameras, or find some way to almost immediately resurrect him with an episode or so, so that Bev can join Moonshine and Hardwon in the finale. Which I can't say as I'd mind, and would probably even prefer so long as they sell the drama decently. Which they almost certainly will.

on the other hand, caldwell could play Erlin, which would make for extremely good tragedy

but yeah probably he'd just die temporarily and then they'd have to get the body to someone to resurrect or reincarnate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

thecluckmeme posted:

I low-key like the Trinyvale characters more, especially with Murph playing a character while Caldwell gets to make funny voices for NPCs I really like. I'm just now catching up on 13 though so I'll be sorely missing it, once per month is a lot of patience :(

Murph attempting to play a high status character and have him rapidly descend into the saddest most low status character has been incredible